Is diet pop REALLY that bad fro you????

Options

Replies

• smittieaj
    smittieaj Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Please let the answer be Shrodinger's cat... Please let the answer be Shrodinger's cat... (fingers crossed and giggling to myself)

I'm going to guess.....down quarks. No, no, wait...up quarks.

Oh shiz, this is what the Higgs Boson does, isn't it? It flavors diet pop.

No, no, you've got it all wrong. It only adds that magical fizz on your tongue. It doesn't flavor it. Please, particle physics. Come on...

Fine... Diet soda is full of neutrinos and photons (of all the particles, really?). The liquid actually behaves as a wave-particle as you swallow and the vibration from the waves causes the soda to entwine with neutrinos in your gonads, causing terrible cancer.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I would say the persistent ones have likely been mislead for a long time over various falsehoods and they are passionate about preventing others from following in their footsteps.

Really? YOu believe that? YOu believe that the persistent ones have all somehow been harmed by alternative ideas?

What I think is the persistent ones are cowardly bullies with closed minds and a righteous attitude.

OH and I should add . . . and with a pack dog mentality. The cat's don't fool me.

Thats a chihuahua/ my surrogate child in my profile pictures thank you very much :smile:
  • saldelmar
    saldelmar Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When pregnant, I avoided diet sodas w/ aspartame, at my doctor's recommendation. Now, it's all fair game as far as I'm concerned! Feel free to consult with your doctor or a nutritionist if you're unsure. And most of all, be a careful, critical consumer of medical research - especially what you see on the internet (as a professor, I speak from experience, LOL).
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Please let the answer be Shrodinger's cat... Please let the answer be Shrodinger's cat... (fingers crossed and giggling to myself)

No, no, you've got it all wrong. It only adds that magical fizz on your tongue. It doesn't flavor it. Please, particle physics? Come on...

unless it is a strange quark then all bets are off
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

No, no, you've got it all wrong. It only adds that magical fizz on your tongue. It doesn't flavor it. Please, particle physics? Come on...

On a different note, I am very happy that my viewing of the big bang theory has made me more knowledgeable regarding the news about the Higgs Boson that came out today
  • smittieaj
    Options
    Don't you see you could simply and politely and professionally and in a friendly manner respond by stating your opinion and leave it at that? I think now you're just trying to justify bad behavior.

I don't need to behave, or justify my behavior for anyone. I'm not sure that I even grasp the concept of 'bad behavior', other than to admit that I'm pretty bad. ;)
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to drink it unless you are addicted to it. It's just a bunch of substances your body doesn't need and are most likely harmful.
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I would say the persistent ones have likely been mislead for a long time over various falsehoods and they are passionate about preventing others from following in their footsteps.

Really? YOu believe that? YOu believe that the persistent ones have all somehow been harmed by alternative ideas?

What I think is the persistent ones are cowardly bullies with closed minds and a righteous attitude.

I honestly do. The same people arguing I've seen in countless other threads helping people. They don't get paid to do it. They just enjoy it (probably the arguing too :) ). People get fired up when they see the this will kill you thread or the insulin makes you fat thread, etc.

I am "on their side" so to speak as I grew up myself believing many things I now know to not be accurate, but I believed them at the time due to misinformation and my own personal confirmation bias.

I just like to work on my witty retorts and puns.

I suggest working on your manners on a public forum, and work on your tolerance of differing opinions instead of your retorts and puns. You can state your side and allow others to state their opinion without becoming hostile, insulting and obnoxious. And so in the past you believed one way and now you believe another way . . . good for you. Well I've had some of my beliefs since I was 21, which was 35 years ago. Why does your path trump mine? I'm not an idiot and feel I deserve much more respect than I've been shown.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

But what if it's strange quarks and strange antiquarks? Then the strangeness can be quantified... Of course, then bets can again be taken.
  • judydelo1
    Options

OH and I should add . . . and with a pack dog mentality. The cat's don't fool me.

Thats a chihuahua/ my surrogate child in my profile pictures thank you very much :smile:

Now THAT cracked me up :laugh: I wasn't talking about your profile photo. I was talking about last night with all the freaking cats.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    Why does your path trump mine?

Evidence?
  • chessgeekdavidb
    Options
    There's no reason to drink it unless you are addicted to it. It's just a bunch of substances your body doesn't need and are most likely harmful.

There is no reason to eat or drink a lot of things that we do other than the enjoyment we get from it.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    Options

But what if it's strange quarks and strange antiquarks? Then the strangeness can be quantified... Of course, then bets can

again be taken.

I think I saw that as a +150 money line at the sports book
  • judydelo1
    Options

No, no, you've got it all wrong. It only adds that magical fizz on your tongue. It doesn't flavor it. Please, particle physics. Come on...

Fine... Diet soda is full of neutrinos and photons (of all the particles, really?). The liquid actually behaves as a wave-particle as you swallow and the vibration from the waves causes the soda to entwine with neutrinos in your gonads, causing terrible cancer.

This is called mocking.
  • smittieaj
    Options
    I suggest working on your manners on a public forum, and work on your tolerance of differing opinions instead of your retorts and puns. You can state your side and allow others to state their opinion without becoming hostile, insulting and obnoxious. And so in the past you believed one way and now you believe another way . . . good for you. Well I've had some of my beliefs since I was 21, which was 35 years ago. Why does your path trump mine? I'm not an idiot and feel I deserve much more respect than I've been shown.

Personally, I give more respect to the open-minded for considering new ideas and changing their minds over the course of their lifetimes.

Even more than that, I respect those who are diligent in their studies, rigorous in their experimentation, and can back up their opinions with verifiable evidence.

Read that previously mentioned book, and you'll have all of our respect. I'm sure.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

This is called mocking.

I don't think so. You said that quantum physics explained energy healing (or homeopathic healing, can't tell since you refuse to expand). We started making jokes about quantum mechanics and particle physics associated with diet sodas (in some cases, in others just goofy/nerdy jokes).

Clearly, only tangentially related to what you said. Perhaps if you would just have answered the original question, it would have lost its funny.

Making claims and then refusing to explain them seems to be what most people have taken issue with.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

But what if it's strange quarks and strange antiquarks? Then the strangeness can be quantified... Of course, then bets can again be taken.

wouldn't they just meet and annihilate? And I don't think bets can be taken unless someone is there to observe the bet being taken
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Try Pepsi Next. It has 60 percent LESS sugar then regular Pepsi AND it has no artificial sweeteners! Best of both worlds. I drink a couple a month when I am really craving sweet stuff.

I really don't trust artificial sweeteners. My Grandma used to drink iced tea with Splenda in it through a straw. She drank a couple cups a day. a cancer formed on the roof of her mouth and her Doctor said it was probably from the artificial sweetener hitting that spot when she sucked it through a straw. (The cancer was right where the point of contact would be.) Of course he had no proof, it was just his best guess as to why it happened.

BUT I say people have been eating sugar for thousands of years...why change that now for an unnatural chemical?? Id rather deal with the calories :-)

I love soda and trying to kick the habit, I'm no expert on what artificial sweeteners can do to our bodies, and not here to argue sides, but where in the world did you get the information that Pepsi Next has no artificial sweeteners? It actually has three.... aspartame, acesulfame potassium, and sucralose I'm sure a few a month won't hurt you and I drink diet soda occasionally as well but it does have the icky stuff in there too!
  • judydelo1
    Options
    Don't you see you could simply and politely and professionally and in a friendly manner respond by stating your opinion and leave it at that? I think now you're just trying to justify bad behavior.

I don't need to behave, or justify my behavior for anyone. I'm not sure that I even grasp the concept of 'bad behavior', other than to admit that I'm pretty bad. ;)

All of these comments I'm making about behavior, as you've probably guessed, aren't Just directed at you. And no, you or anyone else doesn't have to justify your behavior or behave for anyone else, you're right. You should behave in a way that matches your morals, ideals, and manner.
  • judydelo1
    Options

Personally, I give more respect to the open-minded for considering new ideas and changing their minds over the course of their lifetimes.

Even more than that, I respect those who are diligent in their studies, rigorous in their experimentation, and can back up their opinions with verifiable evidence.

Read that previously mentioned book, and you'll have all of our respect. I'm sure.

I don't have to read a particular book to earn your respect. I am a human being that is treating you fairly and that should be enough. You haven't treated me fairly, and I'm respecting you still.