What do you eat at a Mexican food restaurant?

Options

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    We are going to our favorite Mexican food restaurant tonight and I want to stay on my plan. What are some healthy options that you choose? This particular restaurant doesn't have any nutritional information anywhere and it's not listed on MFP.

Thanks!

Well... what's your "plan"? Mine is to avoid gluten grains (really most grains other than a little rice here and there), so I order the fajitas and eat them with a fork. No tortilla. I also eat the little side salad with guacamole and sometimes the rice.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I usually go for Pollo Asado or Carnitas, with rice and beans. I could eat that every day.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Everything I can fit in my BELLAY.

And tequila.

and put sour cream on everything

and then pour cheese dip over it.

Ew lol, sounds like you're de-mexicanizing anything that might have been authentic to begin with.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    All the food.

Seriously, I budget for what I want. And if I go over a little bit, I make sure to leave a larger deficit some other days in the week to make up for it.

Make choices and changes that are sustainable. Otherwise, this won't work.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    We are going to our favorite Mexican food restaurant tonight and I want to stay on my plan. What are some healthy options that you choose? This particular restaurant doesn't have any nutritional information anywhere and it's not listed on MFP.

Thanks!

Well... what's your "plan"? Mine is to avoid gluten grains (really most grains other than a little rice here and there), so I order the fajitas and eat them with a fork. No tortilla. I also eat the little side salad with guacamole and sometimes the rice.
    Corn tortillas should have no gluten.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    CEVICHE!!!! one of the healthiest dishes in the world!!!!!!!!! FINELY CUBED raw Fish/shrimp cooked BY the acid in lime juice( no fire needed).....then you add RAW:bigsmile:
    Diced Tomato
    Diced Onions
    chopped Cilantro
    Chopped Jalapeno pepper
    Sea salt.....

stir it all togethere

and serve over a Tostada!! DAMN!!!!!!!!!:devil:

P.S goes well with a cold Corona!!

END OF THREAD!!!!!

^^^ This- BTW. You are awesome for mentioning this- totally skipped my mind.

It is so healthy and light and good for you!!!!! THE BEST MEXICAN FOOD EVER....healthwise at least!!!!!
    Everyone forgets about it though..............not me!
    I usually eat this and a side order of 6 Oyster on the shell!!:devil:
  • Foxxy18
    Foxxy18 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Most soups, I recommend Albondigas <3
    If they have Mole (pronounced Mol-ay, I don't know how to put an accent mark), that's really good TASTING, I don't know how it is on the calories :laugh:

Just limit your portions and you'll be fine(:
  • SnazzyTraveller
    Options
    We don't hvae a real mexican place here (small Canadian town) but when I lived in Mexico I loveeeed chilaquiles and anything with mole negro, enmoladas especially. But I don't know what I'd do now that I'm trying to eat better. Love Mexican food :))
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Rolaids. Lots and lots of Rolaids.
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So long as you dont load up on crema, sour cream, and cheeses Mexican food can be pretty healthy. If you aren't too familiar with Mexican food go with the fajitas. Corn tortillas, chicken, load up on pico de gallo, chile, and the veggies (maybe ask for extra if needed). Portion control the rice and beans, but I just cant do Mexican without those two.
    If you are familiar with Mexican food, or are willing to try new things, order pozole. It is a DELICIOUS soup that is actually pretty low in calories.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I eat Mexican food (was this a trick question?)
  • tiggy73
    tiggy73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid the complimentary tortilla chips. I like the fajitas, but ask them to hold the tortillas, and I get a side of black beans instead of refried beans. I ask for extra salsa or pico de gallo and use that to pour over the fajitas.
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Skip the chips and salsa!!! OR what i do is wait 10 to 15 minutes after I order my food to start eating them so that i can't over do it!

I always go with fajitas or mini street tacos if they offer them.

The mini street tacos are on tiny corn tortillas with grilled meat, onions, cilantro, and hot sauce. Sometimes I add charro beans as well!

For the fajitas, just load up on the grilled vegetables, salsa, corn, etc. Guacamole is healthy but is pretty calorie dense so if you want the guac make sure to factor that in. Skip the cheese and sour cream.

Hope this helped!
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    A margarita. For sure. ;)

...and not just one either

lol - exactly
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    CEVICHE!!!! one of the healthiest dishes in the world!!!!!!!!! FINELY CUBED raw Fish/shrimp cooked BY the acid in lime juice( no fire needed).....then you add RAW:bigsmile:
    Diced Tomato
    Diced Onions
    chopped Cilantro
    Chopped Jalapeno pepper
    Sea salt.....

stir it all togethere

and serve over a Tostada!! DAMN!!!!!!!!!:devil:

P.S goes well with a cold Corona!!

END OF THREAD!!!!!

^^^ This- BTW. You are awesome for mentioning this- totally skipped my mind.

It is so healthy and light and good for you!!!!! THE BEST MEXICAN FOOD EVER....healthwise at least!!!!!
    Everyone forgets about it though..............not me!
    I usually eat this and a side order of 6 Oyster on the shell!!:devil:

THIS! Absolutely ceviche! Healthy and so flavorful!
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    i'v had a bad day. can i come? :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • SnazzyTraveller
    Options
    Most soups, I recommend Albondigas <3
    If they have Mole (pronounced Mol-ay, I don't know how to put an accent mark), that's really good TASTING, I don't know how it is on the calories :laugh:

Just limit your portions and you'll be fine(:

I had no idea about the nutritional info for mole until I was in Chicago and saw it for sale in a jar............ I think for 2tbsp it's like 22% DV for fat :ohwell: who knew!!!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    If five guys serve you in the mexican restuarant all at once what do you call them? Juan Direction..hahaha im funny!!!!!
  • saveferris2013
    Options
    beware of the pinto beans. at popular restaurant chain near me, they cook them in bacon/bacon fat. ask for the black beans without cheese instead. i always order the veggie fajita, no rice, cheese or sour cream. great flavored veggies, plus black beans makes a great fajita. have a festive time.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    A couple chips with salsa and chicken fajitas, hold the tortillas, refried beans and rice. YUM!!!