Fruit make u fat?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I think if you're fortunate to not have any sort of blood sugar issues, fruit is wonderful. Eat it up! But do track the fruit, and stay within your calories/macros. Don't binge on fruit and neglect your protein and fat intake.

How would I know if I do have blood sugar issues?

Blood test. My doctor does mine a few times a year because I'm already doing blood draws and he likes to be thorough. I just have to fast beforehand. That said, there's no reason to cut out fruit if you're a diabetic especially if by doing so you'll end up binging on sweets.

can i check it with a finger prick thing?

what numbers should I have?

Or is it more of like a blodd chemistry test that has to be done in a lab?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Yes. Fruit will make you fat if you eat too much and go over your calorie allowance. The fact of the matter is a calorie is a calorie and if you are eating more energy (calories) than you are burning (through living and exercising) then your body stores that excess energy in various forms, be it in glycogen in your liver and muscle tissues, and fat too. The same goes for protein powder, vegetables etc.

Fruit is also quite sugary so may make your insulin spike a bit which can play havoc with weight loss.

The thing is, is that fruit is also quite filling due to its fibre and water content so is a good alternatice to those trying to get healthy for a snack, INSTEAD OF a chocolate bar, crisps etc. It's calorie and fat content is normally a lot lower than those kind of products, more satisfying, healthier and around half the calories. Plus the benefit of quality nutrients like vitamin C, A selenium, etc etc.

I take it this may have been a troll post but thought I'd explain to those genuinely questioning it out there.

I am definately not a troll
    real person here
    with a real question

You did say that fruit was low cal and you don't go over your allotment, see the problem. I'm blaming the apple I had at the end of the day because it did put me over my calorie allotment......that damn apple did it. :smile:
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Options
    I think if you're fortunate to not have any sort of blood sugar issues, fruit is wonderful. Eat it up! But do track the fruit, and stay within your calories/macros. Don't binge on fruit and neglect your protein and fat intake.

Blood test. My doctor does mine a few times a year because I'm already doing blood draws and he likes to be thorough. I just have to fast beforehand. That said, there's no reason to cut out fruit if you're a diabetic especially if by doing so you'll end up binging on sweets.

No idea about the numbers. Blood all goes to the lab and then my doc tells me everything's well. You're probably nowhere near diabetic, especially as you've been losing weight through diet and exercise. If you can schedule a checkup to get all the important stuff tested and rinse, lather, repeat once a year you should be fine. Congratulations on the weight loss to date :).
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

No idea about the numbers. Blood all goes to the lab and then my doc tells me everything's well. You're probably nowhere near diabetic, especially as you've been losing weight through diet and exercise. If you can schedule a checkup to get all the important stuff tested and rinse, lather, repeat once a year you should be fine. Congratulations on the weight loss to date :).

So I should ask them to do all that stuff?
    They never have before?

See i was healthy and slender then i went to third shift for two years and packed on 80 lbs

My doctor never did any blood work just frowned and told me to loose the weight lol

Is there a certain type of test I should ask for or just ask him to "run my numbers?"

My doctor has me go in for a blood test before my annual appointment every year. If your doctor does the same, just call ahead and ask for a blood glucose test be added to that. And then be sure to fast for 12 hrs beforehand.
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Options

So I should ask them to do all that stuff?
    They never have before?

See i was healthy and slender then i went to third shift for two years and packed on 80 lbs

My doctor never did any blood work just frowned and told me to loose the weight lol

Is there a certain type of test I should ask for or just ask him to "run my numbers?"

If your doctor's okay with things they way they are then you're probably fine. The only reason I get my sugars tested (actually I think it's something more complicated than that, hence the fasting and labwork) is because I have blood draws for an unrelated issue and my doctor is convinced obesity=type 2 diabetes. If your doctor's okay with what you're doing you can either continue to take his advice or seek a second opinion. Tbh, if your doctor doesn't see any reason to do things differently then there's no reason to undergo unnecessary tests. Sorry, I hope I haven't alarmed you in any way. You are more than likely 100% healthy and I would happily wager the two dragon fruit I bought today on your good health.
  • MariaHammer750
    MariaHammer750 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I suppose if u eat NOTHING BUT fruit it could happen

How could anyone eat THAT much fruit to gain that amount of weight. Sorry, but since fruit has a rather laxative effect when eaten in huge quantities, it seems that one would be spending most of the day on the can. I looked at your diary too. You had a not so good day yesterday but the other days look fine. I usually eat 3 fruits a day (and veggies) and have been losing very well. Everyone has a different opinion on here. Seems like it can be overwhelming.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

To save folks some time, here is the synopsis from the article...

TORONTO - Fructose is sometimes seen as a "dietary bad guy" in the battle against obesity, but a new study suggests it doesn't seem to cause weight gain when substituted for other carbs in diets providing similar calories.

The study, published Monday in the Annals of Internal Medicine, is a meta-analysis of 41 controlled feeding trials looking at the effect of fructose on body weight.

"It's about moderation," said lead author Dr. John Sievenpiper of St. Michael's Hospital, who conducted the study — funded primarily by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research — with other scientists in Toronto, Saskatoon and Boston.

Sounds like common sense!

I was too tired last night to give my own summary so I just posted the link, but I'm more awake now so....

Basically, there were studies being done that are not yet fully conclusive, but from the study done about a year ago, it appears that the amount of fructose in your diet may not play that big of a role in gaining weight so long as you eat the appropriate amount of calories for the amount of energy you burn. The study had a control group and then a group who had a diet high in fructose (not just fruits, but other sugary items also) but each group was eating the same amount of calories. And at the end of the first 4 weeks, there was no difference to weight gain for either group. However, when the fructose-fed group was given a higher amount of calories than the control group, they gained weight after just a week and a half.

Here's the part of the article, unrelated to the above-mentioned study, that I find really most informative:

"On a more important note, one must consider the effects of fructose on body composition rather than on body weight. Fructose increases the risk for fatty liver, elevated triglycerides and visceral fat. We have shown in animals that we can induce these types of changes in the setting where calories are kept equal. In other words, the effect of fructose to increase fat does occur even when calories are kept the same. This paper only addresses weight gain, and hence misses this key aspect about fructose."

Johnson also cautioned that not all sources of fructose are the same, and not all people respond the same way to it. Fructose in fruits tends to be safer because of all the nutrients and antioxidants in fruit, he said.

Fructose in sugar and high-fructose corn syrup is much less safe, he said.

"The glucose present in these sugars can accelerate fructose absorption. Likewise, the response to fructose in young healthy people is much less than in older obese subjects. Hence, pooling the studies that contain diabetics, obese, old and young, as well as subjects (who) received fructose in different ways carries the great risk for diluting out any real findings."
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    When I was on Weight Watchers before coming here, I lost 44 pounds and fruit was free you can have all you want. I would eat my fruit and not worry about what anyone says. As long as you are staying in your calorie range you will be fin.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This debate about fruit is exactly why it is so challenging to make healthy lifestyle changes and why so many people eventually throw in the towel altogether.

Most people know that in order to lose weight and keep it off they have to give up the yummy stuff they REALLY enjoy, or eat them sparingly at the very least. It sucks, but that's the reality. However, it's one thing to forgo butter-soaked movie theater popcorn, it's quite another to be told grapes or bananas are "bad" for you too. At some point, it's just human nature for the deprivation factor to kick-in and the next thing you know you're eating fettuccine Alfredo.

I am a newbie and understand that everyone is trying to contribute,but this kind of contradictory information can be very confusing and discouraging for some. I mean, if we can't eat fruit, what the hell CAN we eat?

You absolutely do NOT have to give up the yummy stuff you really enjoy. I haven't given up any foods. There are foods that I have a lot less often because of the calories, but it's calories that matter. Lately I've had a ton of social events come up where I have no control over the menu. I just make sure I'm within my calorie goal and I lost this week in spite of all the high calorie food.

Edited because I cut myself off :P
  • LynR6
    LynR6 Posts: 2
    Options
    According to the Slimming World diet, all fruit is 'free food' which means you can eat as much as you like (I suppose within reason.) along with most vegetables and lean meat.

I lost 17lb 2 years ago on this diet. I was 10 stone (140lb) and got below my target weight of 9stone (126lb)

However, as a Dental Nurse be careful eating very highly acidic foods on a daily basis as it will wreck your teeth.
    Lyn (UK)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Does this apply to Fruit Gums too? ;)
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Blood sugar test...

Your clinic can do a finger prick A1c or a blood draw A1c. You don't need to fast. Your doc may order a fasting test based on the results of a non-fasting A1c. The A1c tests your average blood glucose levels for the past 3 months. It's good to have that and your lipids (fats) checked yearly, esp. if you're overweight.

If you have access to a meter, you could do a test yourself, but it will only tell you about the moment you drew your blood. Use a fresh lance, since you're dealing with blood. Here's how to interpret the numbers:

90-99 = normal
    100-128 (I think it's 128) = pre-diabetic
    Over 128= diabetic

Those numbers are at least close. You can't diagnose yourself from that, but if your number is high, you def want to have your doc check your A1c.
  • oldsailor
    oldsailor Posts: 21
    Options
    I love cuties, bananas, and grapes. They are my post workout snacks as well as my evening snacks; however calories are calories and thus must be accounted for. By using MFP and keeping track of your carbohydrate and sugar intake and staying within your establish goals they are a healthy treat. Weight Watcher's 360 program allows you to eat fruit and not count the points, but there is a caveat on how much. This is why I use MFP along with WW's and am having great success. 45 lbs in 16 weeks.