Convince me Pop Tarts & ice cream are bad.

Options

Replies

• quiet1storm
    Options
    <sigh> just do you. If you like it, I love it!!! If it works for you then stick to it and forget what everyone else says.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Is this still going on? Why does OP need people to convince them? Just STFU and eat it if you want it.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I will not. You got it right bro! hahaha I too enjoy these things and have done so while losing nearly as much weight as yourself...unfortunately without exercise they caught back up to me, so I gotta work my way back down! lol

i think this is my point in a nutshell. if you eat primarily whole foods, what you experienced is much, MUCH less likely to happen. eating the types of foods I eat and in the quantities I eat them, even if I stop exercising I won't gain weight, or not significantly.

Okay, quick question. You are only 24 years old, you have "0" pounds to lose. I am curious. Were you ever overweight? If so, how overweight were you? Do you have pictures of this? Have you ever had issues with food at all? Sometimes, if we have not walked in a person's shoes, we don't understand everything they deal with. It's easy to tell people how to eat or how not to eat, but if you have never lived this life - you really have no true idea what it takes to succeed. Not critizing you at all, just curious.

I'm 26, and no, I've never been overweight. Genetics. It isnt fashionable, but being super skinny isn't really the most exciting thing in the world for a guy in his late teens and early 20s. It's tough for me to put on muscle/weight, but I've done it and will continue to do it as healthily as I can. Not all struggles look the same, though I won't go so far as to equate mine completely with yours. But regardless, that doesn't mean I don't understand it, having worked with many people to help them lose significant amounts of weight. I get it. It ain't easy.

And as far as "not knowing what it takes to succeed" - I'm a decent lookin kid with a bit of talent living in NYC trying to make it as an actor not having the connections others have, not having a big theatre school on my resume, not having my daddy pay my rent, and having lost my ability to sing and even speak normally while dealing with mysterious hoarseness for over a year and a half. There were already a million guys like me - now Im fighting my own nervous, muscular and digestive system just to be able to audition confidently again and live a normal life where I can go out with friends and not worry about not being able to even speak over the bar noise.

Sory for going OT, but we all have our ****.

Hey, I appreciate you for sharing that. Yes, we all have our struggles. Would you say that in overcoming your fears of the stage it would be helpful to get advice from someone who has maybe been successful at acting and can understand where that fear is coming from? Maybe they also had similar problems when they were starting out? My choice of wording about being successful was probably misplaced. I realize that we are all successful at some things - not so much at others. I was just saying that it's easier for me to take counsel from a person who has been where I was. Maybe it's something in my head. But they just make more sense to me. I truly wish you success in your career. Many great people overcame obstacles related to their voices. I wish the same for you.

it's not fear of the stage... it's having medical problems related to an illness a year and a half back that messed up my larynx.

but in any case, I'm sorry that you only feel that someone who's gone through your EXACT situation has any credibility, because like it or not, all struggles are the same. You feel inadequate. You feel inferior. You keep asking yourself "why me"? Why did this happen to ME? How did I let myself get here? I know, because I ask myself the same questions. My voice problems are MY FAULT. The fact that I didn't take care of myself - the fact that I would do shows then go out and scream Journey at the top of my lungs while drinking and eating bad food. That lifestyle screwed me over in a big way. I did this to me. Just like you did it to yourself too. The guilt, the beating yourself up? I'm there. I've been there. I'm still dealing with it too.

Just because the exact circumstances aren't the same, doesn't mean a person can't understand what you're going through.

I'm not sorry that I feel this way. It's what works for me. My original point. It's not that I feel like you lack credibility, it's just that I have listened to healthy, fit people for years tell me what it takes to be healthy. I get that. To me, it's from the people on MFP who have actually done this work, that I glean the most credibility. There has to be a reason for this website being so successful. The majority of people are learning from the people who are ahead of them on this road. It's like I can visualize the success because I can see how they are succeeding. Maybe that's just the way I learn.

One thing we do agree on: Journey is just AWESOME!

Haha truth. :drinker:

don't stop believin' (I know you're still screaming to that song - even it it's only in your head!)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I'm sorry that you only feel that someone who's gone through your EXACT situation has any credibility, because like it or not, all struggles are the same.

Just because the exact circumstances aren't the same, doesn't mean a person can't understand what you're going through.

I agree that someone shouldn't have had to go through your exact situation. Someone can understand a struggle and a circumstance without living it. But, for the person on the receiving end of the advice, it is certainly a benefit if they did. It gives people a certain confidence and credibility in the person advising when you know they have walked the walk you are walking.

To take it out of weight loss terms, would most people trust an overweight trainer? There may be trainers with great knowledge and experience who are overweight but if I'm hiring a trainer, I want one who's own body reflects the knowledge they have. It gives them more credibility for me. I would be more inclined to hire them and listen to them. It may be placebo effect but the confidence part of it plays a huge role.
  • beachlover317
    Options

I'm sorry that you only feel that someone who's gone through your EXACT situation has any credibility, because like it or not, all struggles are the same.

I agree that someone shouldn't have had to go through your exact situation. Someone can understand a struggle and a circumstance without living it. But, for the person on the receiving end of the advice, it is certainly a benefit if they did. It gives people a certain confidence and credibility in the person advising when you know they have walked the walk you are walking.

To take it out of weight loss terms, would most people trust an overweight trainer? There may be trainers with great knowledge and experience who are overweight but if I'm hiring a trainer, I want one who's own body reflects the knowledge they have. It gives them more credibility for me. I would be more inclined to hire them and listen to them. It may be placebo effect but the confidence part of it plays a huge role.

Well said. (and that's one cute, expressive baby you got there!)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I will not. You got it right bro! hahaha I too enjoy these things and have done so while losing nearly as much weight as yourself...unfortunately without exercise they caught back up to me, so I gotta work my way back down! lol

i think this is my point in a nutshell. if you eat primarily whole foods, what you experienced is much, MUCH less likely to happen. eating the types of foods I eat and in the quantities I eat them, even if I stop exercising I won't gain weight, or not significantly.

Okay, quick question. You are only 24 years old, you have "0" pounds to lose. I am curious. Were you ever overweight? If so, how overweight were you? Do you have pictures of this? Have you ever had issues with food at all? Sometimes, if we have not walked in a person's shoes, we don't understand everything they deal with. It's easy to tell people how to eat or how not to eat, but if you have never lived this life - you really have no true idea what it takes to succeed. Not critizing you at all, just curious.

I'm 26, and no, I've never been overweight. Genetics. It isnt fashionable, but being super skinny isn't really the most exciting thing in the world for a guy in his late teens and early 20s. It's tough for me to put on muscle/weight, but I've done it and will continue to do it as healthily as I can. Not all struggles look the same, though I won't go so far as to equate mine completely with yours. But regardless, that doesn't mean I don't understand it, having worked with many people to help them lose significant amounts of weight. I get it. It ain't easy.

And as far as "not knowing what it takes to succeed" - I'm a decent lookin kid with a bit of talent living in NYC trying to make it as an actor not having the connections others have, not having a big theatre school on my resume, not having my daddy pay my rent, and having lost my ability to sing and even speak normally while dealing with mysterious hoarseness for over a year and a half. There were already a million guys like me - now Im fighting my own nervous, muscular and digestive system just to be able to audition confidently again and live a normal life where I can go out with friends and not worry about not being able to even speak over the bar noise.

Hey, I appreciate you for sharing that. Yes, we all have our struggles. Would you say that in overcoming your fears of the stage it would be helpful to get advice from someone who has maybe been successful at acting and can understand where that fear is coming from? Maybe they also had similar problems when they were starting out? My choice of wording about being successful was probably misplaced. I realize that we are all successful at some things - not so much at others. I was just saying that it's easier for me to take counsel from a person who has been where I was. Maybe it's something in my head. But they just make more sense to me. I truly wish you success in your career. Many great people overcame obstacles related to their voices. I wish the same for you.

it's not fear of the stage... it's having medical problems related to an illness a year and a half back that messed up my larynx.

but in any case, I'm sorry that you only feel that someone who's gone through your EXACT situation has any credibility, because like it or not, all struggles are the same. You feel inadequate. You feel inferior. You keep asking yourself "why me"? Why did this happen to ME? How did I let myself get here? I know, because I ask myself the same questions. My voice problems are MY FAULT. The fact that I didn't take care of myself - the fact that I would do shows then go out and scream Journey at the top of my lungs while drinking and eating bad food. That lifestyle screwed me over in a big way. I did this to me. Just like you did it to yourself too. The guilt, the beating yourself up? I'm there. I've been there. I'm still dealing with it too.

I'm not sorry that I feel this way. It's what works for me. My original point. It's not that I feel like you lack credibility, it's just that I have listened to healthy, fit people for years tell me what it takes to be healthy. I get that. To me, it's from the people on MFP who have actually done this work, that I glean the most credibility. There has to be a reason for this website being so successful. The majority of people are learning from the people who are ahead of them on this road. It's like I can visualize the success because I can see how they are succeeding. Maybe that's just the way I learn.

don't stop believin' (I know you're still screaming to that song - even it it's only in your head!)

oh don't worry - it'll be for real again some day. everything's going the right direction with my voice, laryngeal tissue just takes FOREVER to heal because... well... you can't really rest it/ice it/heat it the same way you do with normal muscles. the good news is that if this hadn't happened to my voice, i'd still be unhealthy both physically and mentally, so i'm actually kind of fortunate that it happened at a relatively young age. don't stop believin' is right. :happy:
  • mmapags
    Options
    I personally think your calorie intake given your life style and your fitness level is fine, I eat almost 3000 a day and i am a 41 year old 133 pound female. Now as far as your diet is concerned the only issue I can see being a possible problem down the ROAD is a sugar issue. Back in my early 30's I could knock bag a BIG tootsie roll daily and a dark chocolate bar for fun. Daily and this did NOT affect my weight, I am OCD and when you follow a routine most of the time everything falls into place. My weight wasn't a factor in why I took majority of the sugary sweets out of my diet. I started a new job 5 years ago, very physical.... now already doing physcial activity I found myself needing some extra energy. Long story short.... seemed like every time I had sugar, within an hour I was exhausted. I was having sugar spikes ~ NOW YOUR CASE is a little different in that your ice cream actually isn't that bad for you, in all other areas (proteins, carbs exc.) frankly if you were to compare your poptarts to a chocolate bar you are still ahead of the game. If I was YOU..... listen to your body. If you want the sugar and have no medical NEED to NOT eat it......then EAT it! You live once, live for yourself. I try to live a clean healthy life style but that is what I WANT. If you want your poptarts....and by all your info you are healthy then eat the damn things!!!!

... yeah... this just changed my mind.

I eat "clean" because I WANT to and I really enjoy it. I think that's what a lot of folks throwing out the orthorexic term don't understand. But that said, obviously the same things don't make everyone happy, and... yeah as long as you're really truly listening to your body and are honest with yourself and your health markers show no risks... I guess it makes sense to do whatever it is that makes you happy and helps you reach your personal goals. If you would hate eating the way I do, then it makes no sense to do it.

So... im still going to advocate for whole foods and the cleaning up of diets - because for the majority it's still medically necessitated - but in your case magerum, do your thang. You know what you're doing. And if it reached a point where your health markers DID start to drop, it's not like you don't have the knowledge and tools to fix it.

But damn it Pop Tarts are STILL empty calories! I have to hold on to something. :tongue:

Credit where credit is due. This is the most sensible well thought out post I think I've ever seen you post. Truth be told, other than wine or beer with dinner, my personal diet is probably closer to yours than magerum's. I am 5'9", 200, about 22 or 23% body fat, down from about 35% 2 years ago, 61 about to turn 62 with a TDEE of around 2500. I eat about 90% of calories from whole, nutrient dense foods. If I save a little at the end of the day, it's to have wine with dinner. Hey I'm Italian. It's a thing. I don't sweets very often. When I do, ice cream is my choice. Or maybe some dark chocolate.

I eat the way I do this because that's what I like within the bounds of my eating plan. My health markers are great and there are very few people my age that I've seen whose 1RM for squats and deadlifts are over 300 lbs. I also bike 15 to 20 miles at a clip (hybrid not road bike) and run an occasional 5K in the warm weather.

If you like eating very "clean" that good on you. It's the judgmental peachiness of many of your post that draws such fire and calls of orthorexia. The conclusion you came to above is pretty much what magerum's original point was. Obviously, if someone has poor health markers and is very overweight, the amount of indulgences they include would have to be modified, but reasonable indulgences as part of a healthy overall eating plan can substantially help long term compliance.

I'm with ya. Took me a while, but I'm with ya.

Here's the remaining issue I see, however. In just about every single thread where the OP asks about a certain food group or ingredient, about half the posters are in there demonizing them for considering cleaning up their diet. Obviously it's the internet, and people are gonna be ****s and say whatever they want. But while I agree that people need to do what makes them happy, that's a two way street. If someone's asking about wheat or dairy or cutting out meat or only eating grass fed, or whatever else, I think a little more respect could be a good thing. Me being dairy free is the same thing as magerum eating his pop tarts. He wouldn't do what I do, and I wouldn't do what he does, but we're happy doing it our way, and at the end of the day, as long as our health markers are good, that should be acceptable to everyone. Fair?

Totally agree. Perfectly fair!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

yeah that's a great comparison - though I'll admit I've seen plenty of pudgy trainers... or at least trainers who are a little soft around the edges. and you're right - i definitely think less of them (not as people but you know what i mean)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I personally think your calorie intake given your life style and your fitness level is fine, I eat almost 3000 a day and i am a 41 year old 133 pound female. Now as far as your diet is concerned the only issue I can see being a possible problem down the ROAD is a sugar issue. Back in my early 30's I could knock bag a BIG tootsie roll daily and a dark chocolate bar for fun. Daily and this did NOT affect my weight, I am OCD and when you follow a routine most of the time everything falls into place. My weight wasn't a factor in why I took majority of the sugary sweets out of my diet. I started a new job 5 years ago, very physical.... now already doing physcial activity I found myself needing some extra energy. Long story short.... seemed like every time I had sugar, within an hour I was exhausted. I was having sugar spikes ~ NOW YOUR CASE is a little different in that your ice cream actually isn't that bad for you, in all other areas (proteins, carbs exc.) frankly if you were to compare your poptarts to a chocolate bar you are still ahead of the game. If I was YOU..... listen to your body. If you want the sugar and have no medical NEED to NOT eat it......then EAT it! You live once, live for yourself. I try to live a clean healthy life style but that is what I WANT. If you want your poptarts....and by all your info you are healthy then eat the damn things!!!!

I eat "clean" because I WANT to and I really enjoy it. I think that's what a lot of folks throwing out the orthorexic term don't understand. But that said, obviously the same things don't make everyone happy, and... yeah as long as you're really truly listening to your body and are honest with yourself and your health markers show no risks... I guess it makes sense to do whatever it is that makes you happy and helps you reach your personal goals. If you would hate eating the way I do, then it makes no sense to do it.

So... im still going to advocate for whole foods and the cleaning up of diets - because for the majority it's still medically necessitated - but in your case magerum, do your thang. You know what you're doing. And if it reached a point where your health markers DID start to drop, it's not like you don't have the knowledge and tools to fix it.

But damn it Pop Tarts are STILL empty calories! I have to hold on to something. :tongue:

Credit where credit is due. This is the most sensible well thought out post I think I've ever seen you post. Truth be told, other than wine or beer with dinner, my personal diet is probably closer to yours than magerum's. I am 5'9", 200, about 22 or 23% body fat, down from about 35% 2 years ago, 61 about to turn 62 with a TDEE of around 2500. I eat about 90% of calories from whole, nutrient dense foods. If I save a little at the end of the day, it's to have wine with dinner. Hey I'm Italian. It's a thing. I don't sweets very often. When I do, ice cream is my choice. Or maybe some dark chocolate.

I eat the way I do this because that's what I like within the bounds of my eating plan. My health markers are great and there are very few people my age that I've seen whose 1RM for squats and deadlifts are over 300 lbs. I also bike 15 to 20 miles at a clip (hybrid not road bike) and run an occasional 5K in the warm weather.

If you like eating very "clean" that good on you. It's the judgmental peachiness of many of your post that draws such fire and calls of orthorexia. The conclusion you came to above is pretty much what magerum's original point was. Obviously, if someone has poor health markers and is very overweight, the amount of indulgences they include would have to be modified, but reasonable indulgences as part of a healthy overall eating plan can substantially help long term compliance.

Here's the remaining issue I see, however. In just about every single thread where the OP asks about a certain food group or ingredient, about half the posters are in there demonizing them for considering cleaning up their diet. Obviously it's the internet, and people are gonna be ****s and say whatever they want. But while I agree that people need to do what makes them happy, that's a two way street. If someone's asking about wheat or dairy or cutting out meat or only eating grass fed, or whatever else, I think a little more respect could be a good thing. Me being dairy free is the same thing as magerum eating his pop tarts. He wouldn't do what I do, and I wouldn't do what he does, but we're happy doing it our way, and at the end of the day, as long as our health markers are good, that should be acceptable to everyone. Fair?

so... now what? do we go riding off into the sunset together?

who saw this coming? :laugh:
  • mmapags
    Options

Well said. (and that's one cute, expressive baby you got there!)

Why thank you! That is my one and only grandchild who was born on December 26th! That is a picture of him laughing. His mom (my daughter) is a very good amateur photographer. He is the light of my life. :love:

Back to your regularly scheduled programing.
  • mmapags
    Options

so... now what? do we go riding off into the sunset together?

who saw this coming? :laugh:

Lol, not me! That's for sure.
  • mmapags
    Options

oh don't worry - it'll be for real again some day. everything's going the right direction with my voice, laryngeal tissue just takes FOREVER to heal because... well... you can't really rest it/ice it/heat it the same way you do with normal muscles. the good news is that if this hadn't happened to my voice, i'd still be unhealthy both physically and mentally, so i'm actually kind of fortunate that it happened at a relatively young age. don't stop believin' is right. :happy:

A similar thing happened to a guy a know of but he ended up going on to a fairly decent career. You may have heard of him. His name was Frank. Last name Sinatra. Hang in there!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have no argument with you. If I had 800-1000 calories per day to spare, I'd likely choose wine or tequila vs. pop-tarts, but then I probably wouldn't get up at 5 am and go to the gym, so not a good situation for me. I do bank my calories for the weekend indulgences. If I could up my burns to 1300 a day I'd be much more liberal with food and drink because it is just my nature.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    OP, how do you define "bad". It really depends on what else you eat and what other lifestyle choices you make. The worst thing about the ice cream IMO is the overall calorie and sugar content. But if you have the calories to spare then there is nothing bad about it.

The pop tart is junk food any way you look at it. Sure, it has vitamins, but very few are naturally in the food (mostly because little of it is natural food). It's fortified with nutrients so you'd be better off skipping the junk and just taking a vitamin pill. Does that make it "bad"? Again, it depends on how you define "bad". IMO, it is not good.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

A similar thing happened to a guy a know of but he ended up going on to a fairly decent career. You may have heard of him. His name was Frank. Last name Sinatra. Hang in there!

haha thanks man. :)
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    if i can fit a serving of flaming hot cheetos into my day, ill do it... to each their own!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Imagine going to see a Dr - how sick would that poor guy have to be? :laugh:
  • beachlover317
    Options

Good for you. Sometimes our biggest growth personally comes from something that we never saw coming. Frank Sinatra. Who knew?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Imagine going to see a Dr - how sick would that poor guy have to be? :laugh:

hahahaha what you have an extremely rare and highly fatal case of swine-goat-sheep flu? you're screwed. our last swine-goat-sheep flu specialist died last week.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Your diet is horrible! You need to stop... and while you at it, could you pass me those poptarts and ice cream that you aren't eating... We can't let them go to waste!