• PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a strawman gif?

Straw_man41_zps13a4d3f0.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    definition of "Cult" from Merriam Webster.

1: formal religious veneration : worship
    2: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
    3: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
    4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    5: a: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
    b: the object of such devotion
    c: a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

Adherents are very devoted to the idea that as long as you are getting enough protein, fat, and carbohydrates, but not too much, you are eating a sufficient diet. Also they argue against any opposition.

Not trolling just curious how people feel about the IIFYM crowd. Let's ensure the community doesn't allow subjective responses, so the topic as a hole doesn't become divided.

With love,
    Burt

Would you point me to adherents that state this

With love,
    Sara
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Burt, I think I love you.

get in line.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    The oldest living IIFYM'er is 89, the oldest living clean eater is 91, so lets wait for the verdict, shall we?

4f6452c1-3f3a-4c39-a340-a2ec2cb9b43c_zps46b8d8eb.jpg

Who said that a vegan/vegetarian diet is healthy? So by default, that means that other processed junk food (probably eaten in moderation by that celebrity or she would not be where she is) is healthy because a vegan diet is not? NO.

Edit: but I would agree that Nigella's diet is healthier if it includes animal products and adequate amounts of fat.

lolwut?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Who said that a vegan/vegetarian diet is healthy? So by default, that means that other processed junk food (probably eaten in moderation by that celebrity or she would not be where she is) is healthy because a vegan diet is not? NO.

Edit: but I would agree that Nigella's diet is healthier if it includes animal products and adequate amounts of fat.

There are healthy ways for vegans/vegetarians to hit macros. I am not either, but I have no problem with that lifestyle if that's what they choose. I see several vegetarians on MFP that hit macros consistently and make great progress with lowering body fat and increasing strength.

Is Nigella healthier than the other lady? Who really knows? At face value, she would appear so.

ohai!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    5: a: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad

Adherents are very devoted to the idea that as long as you are getting enough protein, fat, and carbohydrates, but not too much, you are eating a sufficient diet. Also they argue against any opposition.

Not trolling just curious how people feel about the IIFYM crowd. Let's ensure the community doesn't allow subjective responses, so the topic as a hole doesn't become divided.

With love,
    Burt

Yeah, cuz the macro defaults on MFP are the healthiest ratio and it would be a waste of time to use our own brain, monitor our own health and discover a more appropriate health promoting lifestyle.

OP: thanks for this thread. I am so sick of the one sided bashing of a certain lifestyle. Why does MFP play favourites (must be they don't like that some of us think their macro defaults SUCK)?

I may be misreading this... but from what I know... most of the IIFYM cult members I know do NOT accept the MFP defaults. In fact, I don't know if any I know do...

My experience is exactly the opposite. IIFYM people are usually refering to the defaults because they assume that the recommended high carb/low fat MFP plan is THE healthy way to eat and that eating junk is just fine IIFYM.

Not my experience at all. IIFYM also assumes some sense of informed input into what the M should actually be
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    tumblrmjj4mquyjm1qf0u3po1250_zps58065c7d.gif
    LOL \m/

This gif made visiting this thread worth the trip.

I hope the person in the little car made it.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

With love,
    Burt

Yeah, cuz the macro defaults on MFP are the healthiest ratio and it would be a waste of time to use our own brain, monitor our own health and discover a more appropriate health promoting lifestyle.

OP: thanks for this thread. I am so sick of the one sided bashing of a certain lifestyle. Why does MFP play favourites (must be they don't like that some of us think their macro defaults SUCK)?

I may be misreading this... but from what I know... most of the IIFYM cult members I know do NOT accept the MFP defaults. In fact, I don't know if any I know do...

My experience is exactly the opposite. IIFYM people are usually refering to the defaults because they assume that the recommended high carb/low fat MFP plan is THE healthy way to eat and that eating junk is just fine IIFYM.

Not my experience at all. IIFYM also assumes some sense of informed input into what the M should actually be
    Sara, why do you even bother.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options

genetics
    possible elective surgery
    makeup
    lighting
    photoshop

I don't neccesarily disagree with it, but this case has a ways to go before it rests.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

genetics
    possible elective surgery
    makeup
    lighting
    photoshop

I don't neccesarily disagree with it, but this case has a ways to go before it rests.
    Pretty much.

Why do people always have to go for the extremes?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I do follow a more IIFYM style of eating.. to me, it's about a healthy balance. Now I know there's a pop tart thread everyday and people saying that they ate pop tarts and ice cream everyday and lost weight which is true but what people aren't factoring in it to fit your MACROS not your CALORIES you still have to eat plenty of "clean" foods.. no one has a six pack on pop tarts alone.. you have to get nutrition from other sources as well..

I think it's more of saying that to totally abstain from everything with extremist "clean eating" ways is not sustainable long term wise.. People are going to eat a cookie, they're going to have ice cream. It's about a lifestyle change and I would never omit everything to lose weight if I knew I could never consume it again. It's about BALANCE first and foremost. Do I indulge? Yes. Does it fit my macros? Usually. Am I losing bodyfat? Yes. Am I feeling much more at ease this time around then I did 2 years ago eating "clean" yes.. I have more choices available. It all boils down "to each their own" but for me this mimics more of "real life". I'm not living on chicken breast, broccoli and brown rice forever so why start something that's going to burn me out and for most people leads to binging which is never healthy.

I know that this post was well written and reasonable and stuff, but it was also 'subjective' and not objective, so when the thread gets locked it's gonna be all your fault.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Someone just pass the dang Chocolate and Soda...Im starved
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    tumblrmjj4mquyjm1qf0u3po1250_zps58065c7d.gif
    LOL \m/

This gif made visiting this thread worth the trip.

I hope the person in the little car made it.

I nominate this for best gif ever award. I think he made it.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Someone just pass the dang Chocolate and Soda...Im starved

not until you're "Clear".
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Clear of what? hahaha
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Clear of what? hahaha

thetans.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Troll level=amateur
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Huh. So it doesn't matter if I go 800 mg over on sodium and 50g over on sugar, so long as my carbs, fat and protein are all in check? Because I definitely do that, and it doesn't feel particularly healthy to me. I never go over on carbs except when I eat pasta or a lot of bread, and if I go over on fat or protein it's usually less than 10gs. However, I have been as much as 100gs over on sugar and 1,500mgs over on sodium with those numbers...

I would suspect that the extra stress produced by worrying about going over sodium by 800-1500 mg would be at least if not more damaging in the long term. (Unless you have a specific medical condition related to sodium intake.)

Didn't read all pages yet, but carbs are made of sugars, and are broken down into sugars. In case nobody mentioned that.