How young is too young?

Options

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I read the first few pages of this thread.

My step-daughter is 17. There is no WAY in h3ll her father, mother, or even her open-minded step-mom would let her go out with a 29 year old.

Of course, I'm not in the UK, and I think the statutory rape stoppage age is 16 in my state, but dang...

That said, let's assume for a second that she is a very mature 17. Even mature, she is not done growing up. I can tell you I sure wasn't the same person at 25 that I was at 17-18, and at 18 I was living on my own, paying bills, keeping up a household, etc.

But that's just my opinion and I'm just some interwebz person. You're going to do what you want to do regardless.
  • twiggypal
    twiggypal Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If the girl in question was my daughter, the conversation between me and you would last as long as it took for you to land on the kerbside. Based on my culture in my country and me.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    The "age is nothing but a number" camp consists of young people sleeping with guys that are too old, and guys that are too old who wants to sleep with girls that are too young.

Seriously, I would have to say that in order for a 29-year old to WANT to date a 17-year old, he'd have to be functioning at a very low level, considering no 17-yearolds would function at a very high level and want to date a 29-year old...

What about older women and young guys?
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Repeat - your country believes 17/18 year olds have the maturity to join the military and make the ultimate sacrafice, to lay down their lives, and yet many believe they are not mature enough to date and older guy ?????
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Repeat - your country believes 17/18 year olds have the maturity to join the military and make the ultimate sacrafice, to lay down their lives, and yet many believe they are not mature enough to date and older guy ????? WTF America ????

Repeat, the OP is in England.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I read the first few pages of this thread.

My step-daughter is 17. There is no WAY in h3ll her father, mother, or even her open-minded step-mom would let her go out with a 29 year old.

Of course, I'm not in the UK, and I think the statutory rape stoppage age is 16 in my state, but dang...

That said, let's assume for a second that she is a very mature 17. Even mature, she is not done growing up. I can tell you I sure wasn't the same person at 25 that I was at 17-18, and at 18 I was living on my own, paying bills, keeping up a household, etc.

But that's just my opinion and I'm just some interwebz person. You're going to do what you want to do regardless.

So let me get this right. At the age of 18 she will magically be all grown up? Also, and I'm saying his without any knowledge abotu your kid, but many kids lose their virginity far before 18. Whats the difference?
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My mother was 18 when she met my father, 19 when she married him. He was 40. BUT, my mother graduated from highschool at 16 years old (she's one of those smart types), graduated from college, and had already been married and divorced with a child (book smart, not people smart- her first husband was an abusive alcoholic) when she met my father. So she wasn't quite like today's 18 year old maturity wise. My dad passed away two weeks after their 33rd anniversary.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    If the girl in question was my daughter, the conversation between me and you would last as long as it took for you to land on the kerbside. Based on my culture in my country and me.

'MERICA
  • rabies
    rabies Posts: 62
    Options
    The "age is nothing but a number" camp consists of young people sleeping with guys that are too old, and guys that are too old who wants to sleep with girls that are too young.

Seriously, I would have to say that in order for a 29-year old to WANT to date a 17-year old, he'd have to be functioning at a very low level, considering no 17-yearolds would function at a very high level and want to date a 29-year old...

Only an idiot would make a distinction. How come you saw a need to ask for clarification?
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Repeat - your country believes 17/18 year olds have the maturity to join the military and make the ultimate sacrafice, to lay down their lives, and yet many believe they are not mature enough to date and older guy ????? WTF America ????

Again, the OP is in England.

Thanks Sun - the heat of the discussion :smile:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I'm from Asia. We have a strict policy of old enough to bleed, old enough to breed

You realize that here in North America in some cases that means 8 years old?

That's like promoting pedophielia.

Well, we don't drink and eat food filled with artificial hormones. Girls here typically have their periods around 13+ years.

^ Says that like 13 years old is ok...

0319edf5-ea69-4ff3-9959-d919d4937e6b_zpsea49d162.jpg
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

A 29 year old woman wanting to date a 17 year old guy? I have the same exact opinion as the other way.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm from Asia. We have a strict policy of old enough to bleed, old enough to breed

You realize that here in North America in some cases that means 8 years old?

That's like promoting pedophielia.

Well, we don't drink and eat food filled with artificial hormones. Girls here typically have their periods around 13+ years.

^ Says that like 13 years old is ok...

0319edf5-ea69-4ff3-9959-d919d4937e6b_zpsea49d162.jpg

I thought you knew about my culture *cough* BS *cough*
  • rabies
    rabies Posts: 62
    Options
    My mother was 18 when she met my father, 19 when she married him. He was 40. BUT, my mother graduated from highschool at 16 years old (she's one of those smart types), graduated from college, and had already been married and divorced with a child (book smart, not people smart- her first husband was an abusive alcoholic) when she met my father. So she wasn't quite like today's 18 year old maturity wise. My dad passed away two weeks after their 33rd anniversary.

Your mom didn't suddenly become "people-smart" when she met your dad, she was simply lucky he wasn't another *kitten*. And here's the thing: teenagers usually can't tell if someone's being abusive, and if they do, they don't know how to deal with it. Even less that grownups. Yet another reason for adults not to date kids.
  • freckletone
    Options
    I have to say, if my 17 year old daughter was dating a 29 year old man I would not be happy.

I personally think you should steer clear because she IS too young. I mean that in the sense of her mind, we all remember what it's like to be 17.

But, yanno, up to you! that's just my personal opinion on it :)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Seventeen is a very mature age. Most girls know what they're doing by that age. Sounds like she clearly has you wrapped around her finger, but be warned: the young ones can be manipulative.

Please be careful with your heart and tread lightly. When the lacrosse captain at her high school decides he likes her again, she's going to dump you. I care about your feelings. I really do. If you think you can handle the inevitable rejection that is likely to follow, then I say go for it. If you think it's going to leave you crying in your ale, then maybe let this one go.
    What in the 1940's bull**** hell?

Well, it just doesn't seem many are thinking of the OP's emotions in all this. He seems like a sensitive type soul who might be better suited for someone much younger and more mature than he is.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    If has a curfew SHE'S TOO YOUNG FOR YOU BRO!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    If it's LEGAL then I don't see a problem. Love really does not matter what age someone is. I'm sure if she was 21 & him asking when he was 33 people would STILL have a problem. That's what's wrong with people.... they see the dirty creepy side of EVERYTHING. They don;t see that people can be in love with each other regardless of the age.

Like I said, as long as it's legal then you do what you feel is right. Screw what anyone else thinks.
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

This scares me.

This enlightens me
  • GainsAndGuitars
    Options
    If she wasn't around for the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...she's too young for you bro!!