How young is too young?

Options

Replies

• rabies
    rabies Posts: 62
    Options
    29- 17 ..... ummm that's a bit much, I mean seriously other than the gym what can you possibly have in common. She's probably still in HS, and like the other person said would you be ok with your daughter dating a 29 year old at 17? I'm pretty sure the answer may be no.

The way I see it is, if they still live at home, have no clue what it's like to pay rent, they may be too young, but then again this may be my "mom" hat talking.

Not sure why the heck people are even dicussing LOVE yet, you just MET!! hello. Any who.... It may get old by next week for her. Are you ready to show up to prom? no, I mean really.

Well we talked about a number of things. Namely movies, music, and stuff like that. She even knew a bit about politics as well. She's a very mature 17 year old. It's not like she had a Britney Spears back pack on.

Wow, a little about politics? That's amazing! She's truly gifted!
  • mitasakii
    mitasakii Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know people can't help how they feel.But dude, there's a limit. If she was a bit older then fine. The fact you said "over the age of 16"means you're thinking about sex already. Just no. She's a child and children do these things to spite parents or be cool for their friends. You need to be a grown up about this, you're almost 30. Stop being ridiculous.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I think it is too young. But, men seem to go for that. I am 40. My guy is 44, but the girl he dated prior to me was 15 years younger than him. It shouldn't bother me but it does. I guess the older I get, the more sensitive I am about age.

I wouldn't date someone half my age. I prefer someone that is from the era as me....remembers the same music, television shows, etc. My guy told me we have so much more in common.

Just something to think about
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    going by your pics you're from india? i think given the current movement for fairer treatment of women in your country after a woman had her insides removed with a scaffold pole after being raped by 6 men, you might want to have a look at what values you're holding to lol...
    sometimes cultures need to change.

agreed
    including our own.

the recent news in america, with more sympathy for rapist jocks than for their victim, would illustrate the point. marital rape was legal in the uk right up until 1991. i don't think there's a culture on the planet that shouldn't be striving to improve.

I very much agree with this. A friend of mine showed me all these Twitter posts and FB posts by people, actually blaming the girl for the rape, that she was a "slut" and "why was she drinking in the first place." Yeah, because you should be punished for making a stupid choice by way of rape. Even worse was those females who got arrested for harassing and threatening her. Disgusting.
    and how impressive it is that we can post our disgust without being accused of being anti american.

if you love your country and your culture then you want it to be the best it can be, and admitting it's flaws is part of that.

1991 would be 22 years ago... alot changes in nearly a quarter of a century lol

while again in india where forced marriages and rape is completely legal i fail to see where the counter arguement is, i don't know what idiots on facebook holds as a countries values but where i'm from in the UK off of the internet a rapist is not defended unless in a court of law because he has to be and victims are most definately not vilified in any way shape or form

lol you cant look at some ones picture and then scrutinise there view because where they come from someone got mutilated
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    My mother was 18 when she met my father, 19 when she married him. He was 40. BUT, my mother graduated from highschool at 16 years old (she's one of those smart types), graduated from college, and had already been married and divorced with a child (book smart, not people smart- her first husband was an abusive alcoholic) when she met my father. So she wasn't quite like today's 18 year old maturity wise. My dad passed away two weeks after their 33rd anniversary.

Your mom didn't suddenly become "people-smart" when she met your dad, she was simply lucky he wasn't another *kitten*. And here's the thing: teenagers usually can't tell if someone's being abusive, and if they do, they don't know how to deal with it. Even less that grownups. Yet another reason for adults not to date kids.

Thanks again for proving my point. I'm genuinely just a nice guy.

I'm not a jerk. I simply plan on taking her out and seeing if there's the same chemistry I felt for her at the gym.

Thanks.

:flowerforyou:

Pff, just admit it; you want to screw her, and she's hot enough for you to ignore common sense.
    Well, go for it. I'm fairly sure you'll strike out quickly though, as she's not likely to be very interested. Being a hot 17-year old an all, she probably doesn't have to settle for 29-year olds who wants to sleep with teenagers.

This is a much less kind way of saying it, but I agree that he's going to get his heart broken by her. I was watching a movie about this the other night and thinking about how the man was in love with the high schooler, but she dumped him because he was immature. She was hot, and he was kinda schlumpy.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The age of consent in India has been raised to 18 from 16 so I wouldn't pay any mind to rather obvious trolling...
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm from Asia. We have a strict policy of old enough to bleed, old enough to breed

You realize that here in North America in some cases that means 8 years old?

That's like promoting pedophielia.

Well, we don't drink and eat food filled with artificial hormones. Girls here typically have their periods around 13+ years.

^ Says that like 13 years old is ok...

0319edf5-ea69-4ff3-9959-d919d4937e6b_zpsea49d162.jpg

I thought you knew about my culture *cough* BS *cough*

13 is NOT ok in the UK, the US, or 95% of all other countries. You need to take your own advice and learn about cultures other than your own.

Good thing I am not talking about the other countries, am I? And I thought you knew what my culture is?

she does she's saying it's not ok for a 13 year old to have sex....

Thanks but the Asian cultures are much more Ancient than some 300 years old country so I think we know better. I love how in your culture a girl is magically of age when she turns 18. One day she's this innocent child and the next day, she's a woman who can do whatever she wants.
  • rabies
    Options
    I'm from Asia. We have a strict policy of old enough to bleed, old enough to breed

Well, we don't drink and eat food filled with artificial hormones. Girls here typically have their periods around 13+ years.

13 is NOT ok in the UK, the US, or 95% of all other countries. You need to take your own advice and learn about cultures other than your own.

Good thing I am not talking about the other countries, am I? And I thought you knew what my culture is?

Thanks but the Asian cultures are much more Ancient than some 300 years old country so I think we know better. I love how in your culture a girl is magically of age when she turns 18. One day she's this innocent child and the next day, she's a woman who can do whatever she wants.

Dude, you eat live shrimp and still claim to know better!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    My mother was 18 when she met my father, 19 when she married him. He was 40. BUT, my mother graduated from highschool at 16 years old (she's one of those smart types), graduated from college, and had already been married and divorced with a child (book smart, not people smart- her first husband was an abusive alcoholic) when she met my father. So she wasn't quite like today's 18 year old maturity wise. My dad passed away two weeks after their 33rd anniversary.

Your mom didn't suddenly become "people-smart" when she met your dad, she was simply lucky he wasn't another *kitten*. And here's the thing: teenagers usually can't tell if someone's being abusive, and if they do, they don't know how to deal with it. Even less that grownups. Yet another reason for adults not to date kids.

I'm not a jerk. I simply plan on taking her out and seeing if there's the same chemistry I felt for her at the gym.

Thanks.

Pff, just admit it; you want to screw her, and she's hot enough for you to ignore common sense.
    Well, go for it. I'm fairly sure you'll strike out quickly though, as she's not likely to be very interested. Being a hot 17-year old an all, she probably doesn't have to settle for 29-year olds who wants to sleep with teenagers.

This is a much less kind way of saying it, but I agree that he's going to get his heart broken by her. I was watching a movie about this the other night and thinking about how the man was in love with the high schooler, but she dumped him because he was immature. She was hot, and he was kinda schlumpy.

Ok now I'm starting to ACTUALLY get offended! Being called a creep and now being accused of being "schlumpy"!

Why is it so hard to believe that a 17 year old might be attracted to me? I put alot of effort into my appearence. I work hard at it. I'm certainly not "schlumpy".
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'm from Asia.

Just casually perusing through your posts on this thread. Where exactly in Asia do you live? Or maybe you already said it and I just missed it.

I'm going to say he is from one of the Asian countries. Not Africa or Europe. But this is an assumption.

I-See-What-You-Did-There..png

im%20watching%20you%20-%20copia.jpg
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options

I hope you're just pretending to be a douche.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Ick factor...sorry. It's not the number of years between the two of you, but rather where you are both at in your lives. There's a HUGE difference from where one is at when they're 17 vs. 29. HUGE.

Plus, people might start comparing you to this guy:

Courntey-Stodden-Doug-Hutchison1-435x580.jpg

ETA: I just realized there's a good possibility this is a troll thread.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    OP has come here looking for justification.
    The fact that he feels he needs justification is enough of a flag to say this is the wrong thing.

OP
    You're too old. She's too young. There is not justification for the relationship you want. It's inappropriate and just plain dumb.

Put your thinking head back in your pants and grow up enough to find a woman to date.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Dude, you eat live shrimp and still claim to know better!

I don't eat sea food. Once again, you're clearly clueless about my culture
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Ick factor...sorry. It's not the number of years between the two of you, but rather where you are both at in your lives. There's a HUGE difference from where one is at when they're 17 vs. 29. HUGE.

Plus, people might start comparing you to this guy:

Courntey-Stodden-Doug-Hutchison1-435x580.jpg

Although in that photo she looks like his nan!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Under 25 is too young.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    going by your pics you're from india? i think given the current movement for fairer treatment of women in your country after a woman had her insides removed with a scaffold pole after being raped by 6 men, you might want to have a look at what values you're holding to lol...

agreed
    including our own.

the recent news in america, with more sympathy for rapist jocks than for their victim, would illustrate the point. marital rape was legal in the uk right up until 1991. i don't think there's a culture on the planet that shouldn't be striving to improve.

I very much agree with this. A friend of mine showed me all these Twitter posts and FB posts by people, actually blaming the girl for the rape, that she was a "slut" and "why was she drinking in the first place." Yeah, because you should be punished for making a stupid choice by way of rape. Even worse was those females who got arrested for harassing and threatening her. Disgusting.
    and how impressive it is that we can post our disgust without being accused of being anti american.

if you love your country and your culture then you want it to be the best it can be, and admitting it's flaws is part of that.

while again in india where forced marriages and rape is completely legal i fail to see where the counter arguement is, i don't know what idiots on facebook holds as a countries values but where i'm from in the UK off of the internet a rapist is not defended unless in a court of law because he has to be and victims are most definately not vilified in any way shape or form

I don't understand why you keep bringing India into this conversation? Did your British empire not rape and pillage them enough that you feel the need to finish the job?
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

agreed
    including our own.

lol you cant look at some ones picture and then scrutinise there view because where they come from someone got mutilated

you can when they're saying sex with a 13 year old is ok? to me that's not alot different from the other crime it's disgusting

and mfern123: while the legal age has been raised it makes no difference to the underage sex that actually goes on and why do you think it was raised in the first place?
  • Lottiehill29
    Lottiehill29 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Shes pretty much an adult. If your both happy go for it. Age don't mean jack.

Thank you.

THis is what I was thinking.

I mean when she's 30 and I'm 45 is it really going to matter?

It won't be so bad in 10 years time no.
    How 17 is she? I mean, has she recently turned 17 or is she nearer to 18?
    You've got to think though that she's still quite young. When you're 32 she'll be 20. Will she want the same things as you? Or will she be regretting giving up her young adult life to have a relationship with an older man.
    If she's mature for her age and doesn't care about going out on the tiles all the time with her friends and she is looking for a long term relationship that could lead to something more, then go for it. But if she's not, then maybe you should side step this one and go for someone a little bit older, that you will still have loads in common with, but you have the same long term relationship goals.

Hope that made sense
  • rabies
    Options

Thanks.

Ok now I'm starting to ACTUALLY get offended! Being called a creep and now being accused of being "schlumpy"!

Why is it so hard to believe that a 17 year old might be attracted to me? I put alot of effort into my appearence. I work hard at it. I'm certainly not "schlumpy".

Honestly? Because you're 29, man. You're past your peak, AND you're someone who wants to go out with a 17-year old, which points to an intellect slightly lower than the average ~30-something's. I'm not saying you ARE, I'm just saying it's kind of indicative...