How young is too young?

Options

Replies

• grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    this is too young for you!!

I say stay away and so will her parents!!!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I was 17 when I met my fiance, and he was 28. There is 11 years between us. We were the best of friends for about a year and then we started dating. We've been together or 8 years, happier than ever. If you saw enough that you liked to approach her, and are thinking about calling her up, than go for it! :drinker:
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    I'm 29 and couldn't fathom dating someone that much younger than I am. Plus, being that I'm an American, it's illegal. What the hell do you talk about? I'm not really into sending my every thought into the Twittersphere or Facebook. Even when I was a teenager I thought it really creepy and loserish of guys 20+ hitting on girls in high school.

(Yes, it's a broad generalization of current youths, ra ra ra.)
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

I don't understand why you keep bringing India into this conversation? Did your British empire not rape and pillage them enough that you feel the need to finish the job?

... no i'm expressing my opinion of the things that go on there, i didn't have anything to do with the british empire? i don't reallllly think i'm disallowed an opinion because of something that happened 400 years ago

you mean 80 years?

And you are entitled to the opinion. I genuinely would like to know what India got to do with this conversation cause you mentioned it like a couple of times.

Or do you call all brown people Indian and the mention of India is like a funny racist joke on Taunto that flew over my head and I didn't get it?

Someone said on one of the first pages that she was from india. I think that's how it all started...

Try again, the English gentleman clearly stated that he got India based on looking at the pictures.

ok he's not indian he's clearly......... vietnamese.......... please start an arguement with me i'm dying to see where you're going with this
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    ON the edge offfffff seventeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....
    Just like the white winged dove... Sings a song... Sounds like she's singing... Ooo baby... ooo... said ooo
    :angry: \m/
  • Alcoria
    Alcoria Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    my husband was 28 when I was 17 we both waited and fought to be together until I turned 18 :) we have now been married for 7 years this month.

the one thing id say is just be careful my husband and I took that chance and we ended up being fine but I no longer have contact with my own family due to me just wanting to be with him so again just be careful if you are both willing to wait for eachother than go for it when she turns 18
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies!

But we do have alot in common and I really feel a connection with her. Isn't age just a number anyways?

Especially when it comes to love?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KemAQvGdww
  • thintor
    thintor Posts: 33
    Options
    have you called her yet?

i am really curious as to whether this girl gave you her real number.

not saying that you are a creep or anything, but when i was 17 guys asked for my number all the time.. and instead of being upfront and telling them "no" i just gave them a fake one.
    obviously this isn't the right thing to do, but when you're 17 your decision making abilities haven't quite peaked yet.

anyway, i think you should call her. coffee is coffee, not a marriage proposal.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Just like the white winged dove... Sings a song... Sounds like she's singing... Ooo baby... ooo... said ooo

and the days go by like a strand in the wind in the web that was my own i begin againnnnnnn.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    have you called her yet?

i am really curious as to whether this girl gave you her real number.

not saying that you are a creep or anything, but when i was 17 guys asked for my number all the time.. and instead of being upfront and telling them "no" i just gave them a fake one.
    obviously this isn't the right thing to do, but when you're 17 your decision making abilities haven't quite peaked yet.

anyway, i think you should call her. coffee is coffee, not a marriage proposal.

I haven't called her yet.

I just got her number last night and I'm trying to play it cool.

I was going to wait until tomorrow morning.

I hope she gave me the right number. YOu just made me really nervous! LOL
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Checked the UK military website. You can join the military at 16. So again the country seems to think you are old mature, enough to die for your country, but people think being 17 is too young to date because you are not mature or you might be used - huh what's wrong here ?? -

The reason they lowered the age to enlist in their military is because they had a hard time getting people to enlist and couldn't meet their quota so they lowered the age. At that time they had low unemployment so not many people were going into the military in the UK. So is he going to date younger women just because its ok for a person that age to go into the military? Is there a shortage of older women or something? Or is there now a shortage of men her age and she has no other choice but to go with older guys? Still doesn't make it right that he wants to date a child just because the military lowered their standards.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think I am genuinely trying to do the right thing.

Who is society to say who we can and can't love.

I mean a few years ago gay marraige was out of the question.

Now look!

For one thing, you are absolutely NOT trying to do "the right thing". You have ignored or chastised everyone who has voiced any concern or objection to this, despite having asked for people's opinions, and have only accepted those who support what you want to do in the first place. And for another thing, you have some freaking nerve, essentially stating that "if gay marriage is ok, then anything goes!" You're a real winner. A real prize for any naive, thinks-she's-grown-up-but-can't-even-drink-or-vote-yet little girl. I'm going to stop there before I really lose my temper.

I have dealt with these comments to the best of my ability!

Please point out where I was chastising people. People are calling ME a creep and YOU yourself just insulted me.

Also what makes you think this girl is naive?

Have you met her?

Why don't you get off your high horse and get your lilly whites dirty like the rest of us lady!

I didn't insult you for the sake of insulting you. I called you out for what you actually are. There's nothing wrong with calling a creep a creep. If you don't like it, stop being a creep.

If by "high horse" you mean my respect for civil rights and my disgust of your attempting to use them to justify your creepy behavior, I'll own that. In fact, I'd encourage you to get on board too. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of room on this particular high horse for everyone. No lily whites required.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

and the days go by like a strand in the wind in the web that was my own i begin againnnnnnn.
    Said to my friend, baby, nothin' else mattered.
  • emma155
    emma155 Posts: 152
    Options
    Just to clear the air... I looked it up and it is not against the law to sleep with someone of 17. So you are good to go!
  • emma155
    emma155 Posts: 152
    Options

Now look!

Brilliant!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Because nobody has bothered to post this, Here's the age of consent for every state in the union, plus a couple territories. While it doesn't help the OP, who is living out his post-pubescence in a non-American, English-speaking country, it might make some of you more or less comfortable.

http://www.webistry.net/jan/consent.html

So you should all feel warm and fuzzy that the OP is not breaking the law in almost all of the US states, but he's British and the age of consent was raised from 12 to 16 in 1885.

Done nerding out now.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Ah, I see now. Troll.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Now look!

For one thing, you are absolutely NOT trying to do "the right thing". You have ignored or chastised everyone who has voiced any concern or objection to this, despite having asked for people's opinions, and have only accepted those who support what you want to do in the first place. And for another thing, you have some freaking nerve, essentially stating that "if gay marriage is ok, then anything goes!" You're a real winner. A real prize for any naive, thinks-she's-grown-up-but-can't-even-drink-or-vote-yet little girl. I'm going to stop there before I really lose my temper.

I have dealt with these comments to the best of my ability!

Please point out where I was chastising people. People are calling ME a creep and YOU yourself just insulted me.

Also what makes you think this girl is naive?

Have you met her?

Why don't you get off your high horse and get your lilly whites dirty like the rest of us lady!

I didn't insult you for the sake of insulting you. I called you out for what you actually are. There's nothing wrong with calling a creep a creep. If you don't like it, stop being a creep.

If by "high horse" you mean my respect for civil rights and my disgust of your attempting to use them to justify your creepy behavior, I'll own that. In fact, I'd encourage you to get on board too. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of room on this particular high horse for everyone. No lily whites required.

Well that's interesting. I'm sure there's names that I could use to describe certain people: Blacks, Mexicans, homossexuals, Chinese, English, etc., ets.,

You came onto a thread where I attacked nobody and just asked for some polite feed back then you called me a creep. Then you said that I was ignorant. I'm just asking questions. The same questions that homosexuals asked many years ago and we're met with close minded people like you.
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Okay maybe I am just the wierdo in the happy bunch but when I was 17 I had male friends well into their 50s.
    Did I date them? No.
    Did they try to date me? A few tried. I said No.
    Did I hang out with these friends unsupervised? Yes.
    Did I sleep with any of them? Hell no.

We were friends. Frankly, guys were much easier to chill and have fun with then the pack of snarky girls my age.

Did my parents get pissy? Nope. I was too mature for my age and had no interest in dealing with the dumb barbells of my age demographic that couldn't hold a decent conversation about politics, religion, current events. 18 year old boys were useless in my mind- still are in fact.

There is an 8 year difference between my fiance' and I. I'm 26 at the moment.
    There is a 15 year difference bewteeen my parents who happily celebrate their 30th wedding anny. next year.

OP,

Call her. Meet up and hang out. Work on seeing if there is a solid base for a deep friendship. If you both feel there is more, have a frank discussion about it. Yes, age gap could factor in with some people. Depending on your states laws, sex might have to be on the back burner for a time. You'd have to check.

If you two want to date exculsively--- considering the age gap (and how SOME people could react)---I would pull the old fashioned gentleman approach and ask her policeman father permission.

Having a squad room of officers on your side is better than all of them putting you in crosshairs.

Good luck!
  • qwertymh
    qwertymh Posts: 38
    Options
    Go for it!! Age is just a number! 10 years between me and my partner, met when I was 17, he was 27.

We are now engaged and have been together almost 4 years.

Only you can decide whether she is too young, as some 17 year olds are young minded, some are very mature, more mature than say some 25 year olds!

What's the worst that can happen, it doesn't work out?

:)