How young is too young?

Options

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

I don't understand why you keep bringing India into this conversation? Did your British empire not rape and pillage them enough that you feel the need to finish the job?

... no i'm expressing my opinion of the things that go on there, i didn't have anything to do with the british empire? i don't reallllly think i'm disallowed an opinion because of something that happened 400 years ago

you mean 80 years?

And you are entitled to the opinion. I genuinely would like to know what India got to do with this conversation cause you mentioned it like a couple of times.

Or do you call all brown people Indian and the mention of India is like a funny racist joke on Taunto that flew over my head and I didn't get it?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

You seem to be persistently missing the point over and over again despite how many people point it out to you.

It's seemingly weird to you that a woman 'magically' turns into an adult when she hits 18, but not so weird that a girl 'magically' turns into an adult the second she starts bleeding.

And seeing as you are obviously so unique and follow this ancient culture that no-one would possibly know anything about, why don't you inform us poor uneducated souls as to what that is rather than being so secretive about it?

I would also like to point out, if you really do follow a 300 year old culture, that explains a lot as to why you think it's acceptable to have sex with children. Your culture needs updating.

Wow you're one nasty woman. Just because somebody chooses to ignore your methods you accuse them of wanting ot have sex with children? You're sick and you disgust me.

I can assure you not as much as you disgust me. Your original post said 'old enough to bleed, old enough to breed'. A more recent post said that children in Asia start having periods at 13.

A 13 year old is still a child.

*awaits response about your culture*

dude by your culture (I'm assuming, forgive me if I'm wrong that you're from US), a child turns into an adult overnight at the age of 18 and is old enough to shoot and kill or get killed in a war but is not old enough to drink alcohol till 21. LOL
  • rabies
    rabies Posts: 62
    Options

I don't understand why you keep bringing India into this conversation? Did your British empire not rape and pillage them enough that you feel the need to finish the job?

... no i'm expressing my opinion of the things that go on there, i didn't have anything to do with the british empire? i don't reallllly think i'm disallowed an opinion because of something that happened 400 years ago

you mean 80 years?

And you are entitled to the opinion. I genuinely would like to know what India got to do with this conversation cause you mentioned it like a couple of times.

Or do you call all brown people Indian and the mention of India is like a funny racist joke on Taunto that flew over my head and I didn't get it?

Someone said on one of the first pages that she was from india. I think that's how it all started...
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    going by your pics you're from india? i think given the current movement for fairer treatment of women in your country after a woman had her insides removed with a scaffold pole after being raped by 6 men, you might want to have a look at what values you're holding to lol...
    sometimes cultures need to change.

agreed
    including our own.

the recent news in america, with more sympathy for rapist jocks than for their victim, would illustrate the point. marital rape was legal in the uk right up until 1991. i don't think there's a culture on the planet that shouldn't be striving to improve.

I very much agree with this. A friend of mine showed me all these Twitter posts and FB posts by people, actually blaming the girl for the rape, that she was a "slut" and "why was she drinking in the first place." Yeah, because you should be punished for making a stupid choice by way of rape. Even worse was those females who got arrested for harassing and threatening her. Disgusting.
    and how impressive it is that we can post our disgust without being accused of being anti american.

if you love your country and your culture then you want it to be the best it can be, and admitting it's flaws is part of that.

1991 would be 22 years ago... alot changes in nearly a quarter of a century lol

while again in india where forced marriages and rape is completely legal i fail to see where the counter arguement is, i don't know what idiots on facebook holds as a countries values but where i'm from in the UK off of the internet a rapist is not defended unless in a court of law because he has to be and victims are most definately not vilified in any way shape or form

400 years ago? Do you know nothing of your own history?

The first British outpost in South Asia was established in 1619 at Surat (in the State of Gujarat, India) on the northwestern coast.

Nice use of google but what does the initial outpost have to do with it? Are you telling me that the abuse of the South Asian people at the hands of the British Empire began and ended in 1619? Wouldn't the more relevant date be 15 August 1947?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    My mother was 18 when she met my father, 19 when she married him. He was 40. BUT, my mother graduated from highschool at 16 years old (she's one of those smart types), graduated from college, and had already been married and divorced with a child (book smart, not people smart- her first husband was an abusive alcoholic) when she met my father. So she wasn't quite like today's 18 year old maturity wise. My dad passed away two weeks after their 33rd anniversary.

Your mom didn't suddenly become "people-smart" when she met your dad, she was simply lucky he wasn't another *kitten*. And here's the thing: teenagers usually can't tell if someone's being abusive, and if they do, they don't know how to deal with it. Even less that grownups. Yet another reason for adults not to date kids.

Her life experience had helped her become "people-smart". Which was my point- my mother had already experienced a lot of life by the time she was 18. She was far more mature than most 18 year olds today.

But this girl is clearly more mature than most 18 year olds and has had alot of life expereince. She lived in Thailand, Australia, and France. She likes art and philosophy she's a really cool girl!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Before this topic gets locked for its obvious and apparent racism (why do they always devolve into racism?).

I just want to point out that every last poster in this thread, with the exception of a few, assumes that this man's intention is to have sex with this girl, when he has clearly stated that his feelings for her could be very significant. A relationship isn't always about sex. Instead of advising him to act respectfully towards her and her family, you have just out and out called him a 'pedophile' or at least fell just short of it. You all should really be ashamed of yourselves, and I think it's a sad sick world when a group of people can read soooooo much in a few sentences. You really need ask yourselves why you would be so quick to assume the worst possible scenario.

OP - Behave like a gentleman! That's all the advice you really need in this situation.
  • taunto
    Options

you mean 80 years?

This thread has been so racist, close minded and just ignorant period towards cultures outside of them that its getting disgusting. I have been called low-class and all kinds of names just because I choose not to bow to these peoples culture who they're calling "high-class". Apparently, Asians are low-class.

I have no hope in humanity with high-class people like these
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Checked the UK military website. You can join the military at 16. So again the country seems to think you are old mature, enough to die for your country, but people think being 17 is too young to date because you are not mature or you might be used - huh what's wrong here ?? -
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Dude, you eat live shrimp and still claim to know better!

I don't eat sea food. Once again, you're clearly clueless about my culture

You're trying to take advantage of the "ancient asian culture" thing, when we all know that most of asia was a swamp where the highest level of intellect barely managed to figure out what end of the pointy stick to poke the frogs with. So I'm going to treat you as an average asian, which eats sea food, including live baby shrimp. And pig-face.

Racist post is racist

How is it racist to claim that a few thousand years back, not all asians where geniuses? Or is it the fact that I claim a lot of asians eat sea-food and pig-face?

And racist post continues . . .
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    1991 would be 22 years ago... alot changes in nearly a quarter of a century lol

while again in india where forced marriages and rape is completely legal i fail to see where the counter arguement is, i don't know what idiots on facebook holds as a countries values but where i'm from in the UK off of the internet a rapist is not defended unless in a court of law because he has to be and victims are most definately not vilified in any way shape or form

a lot can change in 22 years, which was partly my point. culture is fluid.

mention of the empre just made me think of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTduy7Qkvk8
    tis true, my great grandpa was a bit of a swine!
  • Cr01502
    Options
    Before this topic gets locked for its obvious and apparent racism (why do they always devolve into racism?).

I just want to point out that every last poster in this thread, with the exception of a few, assumes that this man's intention is to have sex with this girl, when he has clearly stated that his feelings for her could be very significant. A relationship isn't always about sex. Instead of advising him to act respectfully towards her and her family, you have just out and out called him a 'pedophile' or at least fell just short of it. You all should really be ashamed of yourselves, and I think it's a sad sick world when a group of people can read soooooo much in a few sentences. You really need ask yourselves why you would be so quick to assume the worst possible scenario.

OP - Behave like a gentleman! That's all the advice you really need in this situation.

Thank you!

My point exactly. Everyone assumes that because I'm an older man I'm some sort of predator and that's just not the case.
  • rabies
    Options

You're trying to take advantage of the "ancient asian culture" thing, when we all know that most of asia was a swamp where the highest level of intellect barely managed to figure out what end of the pointy stick to poke the frogs with. So I'm going to treat you as an average asian, which eats sea food, including live baby shrimp. And pig-face.

Racist post is racist

How is it racist to claim that a few thousand years back, not all asians where geniuses? Or is it the fact that I claim a lot of asians eat sea-food and pig-face?

Oh puhleeze, how about you explain your view that what I'm writing is racist instead of being an *kitten*?
  • Cr01502
    Options
    Checked the UK military website. You can join the military at 16. So again the country seems to think you are old mature, enough to die for your country, but people think being 17 is too young to date because you are not mature or you might be used - huh what's wrong here ?? -

ANOTHER very valid point.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

You seem to be persistently missing the point over and over again despite how many people point it out to you.

It's seemingly weird to you that a woman 'magically' turns into an adult when she hits 18, but not so weird that a girl 'magically' turns into an adult the second she starts bleeding.

And seeing as you are obviously so unique and follow this ancient culture that no-one would possibly know anything about, why don't you inform us poor uneducated souls as to what that is rather than being so secretive about it?

I would also like to point out, if you really do follow a 300 year old culture, that explains a lot as to why you think it's acceptable to have sex with children. Your culture needs updating.

Wow you're one nasty woman. Just because somebody chooses to ignore your methods you accuse them of wanting ot have sex with children? You're sick and you disgust me.

I can assure you not as much as you disgust me. Your original post said 'old enough to bleed, old enough to breed'. A more recent post said that children in Asia start having periods at 13.

A 13 year old is still a child.

*awaits response about your culture*

dude by your culture (I'm assuming, forgive me if I'm wrong that you're from US), a child turns into an adult overnight at the age of 18 and is old enough to shoot and kill or get killed in a war but is not old enough to drink alcohol till 21. LOL

And the age of statutory rape is between 14 and 16 years old for most states, so technically it's legal for her to have sex even before she is considered an adult.
  • taunto
    Options

Racist post is racist

These are the same people who think its perfectly OK to call black folks with disgusting names and saying all the hateful things "because they're true" even though they're not. I hate humanity a little right now after posts like these
  • rabies
    Options

Uhm... I'd say that the only thing that point proves is that the UK gov are idiots for allowing kids into the army.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

While it is true that parts of the thread have devolved into racism and "one-upping", the OP asked a question; is a 17 year old girl too young for a 29 year old man. The majority answered the question quite clearly.
  • rabies
    Options

Racist post is racist

These are the same people who think its perfectly OK to call black folks with disgusting names and saying all the hateful things "because they're true" even though they're not. I hate humanity a little right now after posts like these

Dude, I've lived "in asia" too. Not to mention it's not like a big secret that seafood is big in a lot of asian countries.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

you mean 80 years?

i'm not racist at all, infact a very multicultural person, no i don't call "all brown people indian" i made no joke at all, he said he was from asia, from what i could tell by his profile i figured india (and i'm pretty sure i'm right) which would make the conversation something to do with india.

given the vast population of indians in my own country i get on very well with them, including my local curry house and newagents on my housing estate i use frequently

i think it's unfair to throw acusations of racism at someone like that, because i think india has laws that need to be enforced rather than just made for the rest of the world to say "oh that's ok then"
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is saying that 17 is too young to date, rather that they think a 17 year old is too young for the OP to date. If he didn't have any doubts in his own mind then why even post this topic? Sad that it's turned into such a farce between a couple of people who should really take it elsewhere. OP, you asked a question, you got some answers, the rest is flannel for others to fight over amongst themselves.