Ppl burning 1000+ cal per workout: WHAT IS YOUR SECRET!?

Options
Yesterday i was ECSTATIC for burning 650 cal in 75 minutes. And i PUSHED. I was at 180+ bpm heart rate almost the entire time and still only managed to burn 650 cal. I see people in my feed burning 1000-1200 cal in 65-75 minutes. HOW?!

If you are able to do this, could you please tell me your work out regiment? Ex. Treadmill @ 5.5mph for 45 min, or jump roping, etc.

I know everyone burns differently, but id like to get an idea of other peoples workouts who are able to produce such amazing numbers!!

Thanks! :)

Replies

• thepaul500
    Options
    99% of them aren't, the ap tends to overestimate calories burned, as well as people tending to overestimate their exertion levels.
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Or their treadmill tells them they burned 8,000 calories and decided to believe it...
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you are in better shape/weigh less you will burn less calories. Also, I would suspect they are using the MFP exercise database numbers which are largely overestimated on most exercises. While HRM are still estimates, they are more accurate estimates. I recommend anyone who is serious about getting in shape invest in even a low end HRM.

The most I can burn is 550-600 calories in 1 hour Zumba class, dancing my *kitten* off the entire time. And I am still pretty heavy and not in the greatest shape.

Some of the highest burns for me are:
    Zumba
    Run intervals
    Plyometrics (like Insanity)
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Running as fast as they can from cheetahs? I dunno. Most I burn is 495 in a level 2 Bar Method workout. That's about as intense as I wanna go.
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Also, the heavier you are, the more calories you burn. So the workout you did, if someone 50 lbs heavier than you did it, they would probably be in the 1000+ calorie range.

But I agree with thepaul, most are probably over estimating, Or they could also be adding silly "exercise" calories...like the people that including gardening and housework and taking the trash out as exercise and log an extra 400 calories for it all.
  • Brandei
    Brandei Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think it is a combination of;
    1. I think the heavier you are, the harder you have to work, the more cals you burn
    2. MyFitnessPal seems to have inaccurate calorie counts in the system- use a HRM
  • SStrauss79
    SStrauss79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Per my HRM I am doing this. However, I am 287lbs to start with. I take R.I.P.P.E.D for 60 minutes and then high intensity Zumba for 60 minutes right after. I typically burn about 1200 calories right there in those 2 hours.
  • jooonesy
    jooonesy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different (body composition) but it also depends on the exercise. I've burned 1,000 calories, but I ran at about 6.7mph for an hour and a half.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Their secret is overestimating. I see quite a few people who put a really short time of between 10 to 15 minutes of calisthenics or walking or something like that, saying it burns like 3-400 cals. In an hour...definitely a possibility, but in 15 minutes? Not likely. That's why you don't use MFPs burned estimator. When I don't use a HRM I just barely put anything burned to avoid overestimating.
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My heart rate monitor is pretty accurate, so my burns listed are usually very close to accurate, weird being in the 1%. Work outs that get me over 1000 calories, 5+ mile run at 8:30 mile pace or faster, 20 mile bike at average cadence of 85 RPM/17 mph or faster, and circuit training hard for hour and 15 minutes will get me there too. Mainly has to do with metabolism, everyones is different.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    As others stated, the bigger you are, the more you burn exercising.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I have burned 1000+ cals according to my HRM. I spent about 90 mins the gym doing cardio and some weights. I was definitely giving it my all and continually pushing myself.
  • jojohnson090
    Options
    I burn between 900-1000 on my "long days" it takes me more like 100-110 minutes to burn 1,000 though. i would only be in about the 650 range if i did it for 65 minutes as well! and i use the elliptical
  • brianyeager
    Options
    I burn over a 1,000 calories on occasion. No secret. I wear a HRM. I can burn over a 1,000 calories when I run 10.5 miles, play football or basketball for 2 hours, etc. Put in a long cardio workout and you can do it. I only have four friends, so I do not pad stats to impress people either. As others have said, the MFP calories per workout and treadmills are not accurate though. Use a HRM.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i've burnt 1000 calories walking at 4.5 mph for 2 hours
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I burn about 600calories in a 10k run with takes just over an hour, how people can burn '1000s' of calories, beyond me
  • SunshineGRL76
    SunshineGRL76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've been using my HRM whenever I workout. I usually get my highest burns when I am hiking, swimming laps in an olympic size pool, kayaking, golfing OR using the ellipticle machine. Also, I have seen a solid burn while rowing.

I can't remember the last time I had a 1000+ calorie burn, although, I will say that it is usually when I am doing intensive cardio for 2+ hours.

I agree with everyone else...MFP and the machines at the gym are just estimates...
  • RScott714
    RScott714 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I run 9-10 miles at a 6.5 mph pace once per week. This usually gets me over 1000. On the other workout days I get about 800 by running 5-6 miles at a faster pace or simulated hills on a treadmill. On these days I also do weights prior to the run for about 25 - 30 minutes (2x week). On 2 days I do one of the easier Insanity recovery workouts.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I am fat.. and I do high intensity Zumba and Kickboxing and I don't stop moving the entire time. I think this site over estimates the burn.. but I ignore that anyway and just try to reach my set goals.

Thinner people burn less.. less weight = easier to exercise or less weight your body is moving around so less work so less calories burned.

Currently trying to convince myself to use heavier weights.. but I feel silly trying to lift something that i can barely move. LOL

MFP.. (most likely) as well as teh cardio machine in the gym just use an average calories per minute.. average is 10 calories per minute of regular exercise (not high intensity).. So it's probably going off that.. 60 minutes = 600 caloires.. easy math. add high intensity.. perhaps the average is bumped up to 14-15 caloreis per minute.. make it almost 1000 per hour.
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my highest calorie burns EVER are from using the Concept 2 rower and from Kettlebell. With KB, I can burn about 15-20 cals/minute during a 30 minute HARD work out per Polar FT7 HRM.

I vary it every time, but the one i did yesterday was:

Turkish Get up, 3 each side, 25lb

35 seconds on, 25 secounds off, 1 minute btw sets

Set 1
    One armed swing left (35lb)
    One armed swing right (35lb)
    OAS L (35lb)
    OAS R (35lb)
    Plank

Set 2
    High Pull L (25lb)
    High Pull R (25lb)
    Coffin Sit-up (25lb)
    Turkish Twist (25lb)
    Plank - Left

Set 3
    Deck Squat (35lb)
    Goblet Squat (45lb)
    One Leg Deadlift - L (2x35lb)
    One Leg Deadlift - R (2x35lb)
    Plank

Set 4
    Figure 8 to hold (35lb)
    Figure 8 reverse to hold (35lb)
    Windmill w/press L (25lb)
    Windmill w/press R (25lb)
    Plank Right

Then rest for 2 minutes

The 10 minutes of Snatching, 35 seconds work, 25 seconds rest.

This workout took about 40 minutes and HRM read 578