Ppl burning 1000+ cal per workout: WHAT IS YOUR SECRET!?

Options

Replies

• Besa27
    Besa27 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I burn 700 calories inclining the treadmill at 12 and speed at 4.5 for an hour. Then I do weights.
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you can keep your HR at 180 for an hour, that's an accomplishment I have yet to do. So congrats.
    Don't worry about calories burned. Focus on improving your intensity-- running for longer or faster.
    Sounds like you're doing fine
  • tRiNaBeAnZz
    tRiNaBeAnZz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a secret, I think it has a lot to do with weight and fitness level. I can give it my all during TurboFire 55 minute workout, and I burn close to 500 calories. Others doing the same workout burn 800+. Everyone is different and I don't let it bring me down. My HRM reads my heartrate at 160-180 during these 55 minutes, so I'd say 500 calories is probably the most I will ever burn.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what workout i do-i have to maintain a heart rate of 185-192BPM for 90% of the workout to burn 1000+ calories in an hour.

If i stay at 165-170bpm, the burn is closer to 650 calories.

Basically, i push harder.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It depends on your weight, age and height and erroft. There is no real secret except to be huge. I burn about 1000 cals for 60 minutes of running at 6.5 MPH, but I am 210, and 6' 2" tall. HR is about 140.

What matters is that you are doing it, can logging it. Keep up the good work!
  • lhgalant
    lhgalant Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Per my HRM I am doing this. However, I am 287lbs to start with. I take R.I.P.P.E.D for 60 minutes and then high intensity Zumba for 60 minutes right after. I typically burn about 1200 calories right there in those 2 hours.

This is a good example of how people burn differently. I have a HRM, and have taken the R.I.P.P.E.D class at my gym. I weigh 167 and burned 300 calories in the 1 hour class.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The heavier you are, the more cal you burn. I workout with several co-workers (same exercises @ the same time), and we all have Polar HRMs with the chest strap. I'm about 200 lbs, and I'll burn ~650 cals, a female that we work out with that weighs about 120 will burn ~350 - 400 cals, and the other guy is just starting his journey, and he's 280 lbs, and he'll burn ~1400 cals. All doing the same exercise class for the same amount of time, all wearing the same brand & type of HRMs.

It does make sense though, the heavier you are, the more "work" it is to do a squat, or a push up, etc.

What I'm saying is you can only compare your workout to you, or someone very close to the same body weight, age, and the same sex as you.
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I wear a Polar HRM and it's pretty accurate and I get around 1000 cals burned doing 75 minutes of crossfit. I agree with most of the other posts on here that its all about your body composition. When I was much bigger, I was buring over 1000 doing 45 minutes of Inasnity. So since I am in SLIGHTLY better shape now, I am getting around those 1000 cals doing longer workouts. It's all about your body. That and I agree if you are going solely by the number MFP says you burned, you are drastically over estimating.
  • Cherryblosm3
    Cherryblosm3 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. This makes me feel better! lol I use a HRM, not sure if they do.

I have noticed that MFP over estimates things, but ive also noticed the treadmill underestimates.

I currently weigh 177 and im 5'5". I have a softballer body so im not "heavy".. thick is more like it haha

So im just going to stick with my 650 cal by running/walking for an hour as a WIN lol

(And i dont know about you guys, but counting "house cleaning" or "walking around walmart" as an exercise is only hurting you in the long run. i consider that already factored into my "just being alive" calories)
  • missyj1115
    missyj1115 Posts: 1,220 Member
    Options
    Some people like myself workout once in the morning and once in the evening and
    log both exercises as 1. I do Zumba in the morning and use a chest Heart Rate Monitor
    which is usually about 470 calories in 50minutes. If I do this as well at night I would burn a total
    of 940 calories for the day. When logged it will show up on the feed as burning so many calories
    in so many minutes but you do not know if that was from one exercise or multiple ones combined!

I also will agree with the fact that the less you weigh and more fit you are the harder it is to burn
    more calories. I can not stress how important it is to use a HRM!!! MFP and the HRM on treadmills etc
    are defiantly NOT ACCURATE!! For people who are serious about this the only way is with a HRM PERIOD!

I would LOVE to burn over 1000 calories in a workout but to do that I would have to be morbidly obese
    and work my ars off til I about drop over!! :laugh:
  • BeckyJayneGJ
    BeckyJayneGJ Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My usual workouts clock in at 1000 or 1100, but that is because I am currently unemployed so I literally just don't leave the gym until I've hit the number I want. If you do cardio or anything for long enough when you're still a good 50lbs overweight you can burn these sort of numbers no problem.

1000 in an hour though? No.
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    99% of them aren't, the ap tends to overestimate calories burned, as well as people tending to overestimate their exertion levels.

My thoughts exactly!!! You know how hard it is to burn that many calories at one workout for the average person
  • Cherryblosm3
    Cherryblosm3 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've been using my HRM whenever I workout. I usually get my highest burns when I am hiking, swimming laps in an olympic size pool, kayaking, golfing OR using the ellipticle machine. Also, I have seen a solid burn while rowing.

I can't remember the last time I had a 1000+ calorie burn, although, I will say that it is usually when I am doing intensive cardio for 2+ hours.

I agree with everyone else...MFP and the machines at the gym are just estimates...

You swim with your HRM?? what do you use? I tried with my polar once, and it wouldnt connect :-/
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I use my Polar HRM and about the most I have burned was 600 calories for running and lifting. Most of the time I burn 200-500 through exercise doing a variety of things between running for almost an hour and a half (I have my 5ks coming up so trying to ramp it up little by little), ballet (have an audition next month), x train fit (when I am not bored), zumba fitness core (on the wii), basketball, racquetball (played that last night at the y and it reminded me of why i started it in college), lifting weights (started incorporating that in about 2 months ago) and yoga.

Mind you, I don't all of those things all the time. I go with what i feel up to doing at the time as well as how my knees and ankle are feeling.

I think a lot of them are overestimates that get posted up because I don't remember a 1k burn ever that i have managed.
  • bpatac
    bpatac Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Treadmill Incline and machine tension can play a big role in the extra calorie burn. A treadmill going 3.6 mph at a 15% incline can burn about 200 calories in 14 to 16 minutes depending on what you weigh.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    In general MFP vastly overestimates how many calories are burned in a workout. For more accurate numbers calculate your BMR per hour and then find Metabolic Equivalent Task tables online. Then you multiply your BMR x MET and you'll get a closer estimate of calories burned per hour of a given exercise. (Example - my BMR is 158 per hour, the Metabolic equivalent for weight lifting is 3.0. So lifting weights for an hour will burn 474 calories and 237 for a half an hour). When I burn 1000+ calories it's because I've gone outside and ran 10+ miles. Running, in general, will burn about 100 calories per mile.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/18303-calculate-calories-burned/
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    I burn 7-800 in 60min spin.. About 400 in pump and 450 in cardio kick... 3 or 4x a week I do multiple classes and burn
    over 1000.. Never in a 60 min span.. I actually take whatever number my HRM gives me and subtract 200 per hr.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    doing intermediate level zumba for 45 minutes using my HRM to monitor burns I actually burn 669 calories. So if I try to calculate it at 75 minutes I would be burning around 1115 calories. It is possible to do it just depends on your body and how much it tends to burn during certain activies. Try zumba with an HRM if you have one and see how you do :) Might be the option you are looking for.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Time. Lots and lots of time spent doing whatever it is. That's why I don't got to the gym, I'd be bored senseless doing exercise for its own sake that long!

Thursdays are usually my 1000+ days, but that's because I walk over 10km at work, then bike (11km round trip) to a two-hour fencing class (of which I'm usually actively fencing for 45 minutes).

Or days where I bike to work, which is a 45km round trip and takes an hour each way, plus all the walking at work. I burn nearly 2000 on those days.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    trust your HRM. It is probably within 10% accuracy if you are in a high HR state. (Worthless if not...)

For me, I can burn 800 - 900 cals in an hour but i have to be in 'push it til I puke' mode. I can't imagine getting to 1,200 cals/hour. I think that would be fatal for me!

Even if your HRM says you burned 800 cals in an hour, you need to back out your hourly BMR. For me, every hour of work out, i subtract 100 cals.

make sense?

Good luck!