Ppl burning 1000+ cal per workout: WHAT IS YOUR SECRET!?

Replies

• j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    it comes down to how much you weigh, focus on the percentage not the amount. for example, i eat 2800 calories a day and can burn 700 a session, no different that a person eating 2000 a day and burning 500. it's all relative.
  • mmmyotwnz
    mmmyotwnz Posts: 119 Member
    Again I am going to say like others here the heavier you are the more you will burn simply from exertion.

I burn somewhere between 700-900 calories at a 60 min. Zumba class. I used to think it was lower but when I sync the fitbit before I go to class and then after, those are the results with Endomondo/fitbit/ and negative adjustments with MFP.

It also pointed to the fact that Zumba 4x per week was upping my caloric requirements my body needed for the day. I also do the ellip(level 10)/treadmill3.5 incline at 4-4.5 speed) for a 5K range and weights at the gym but that is around 600-750 burn. I've started 30day shred and that is kicking my butt, however, I have no idea how much that is burning because it is more strength and concentrated movements than a 'moving in a forward motion' that can be tracked by fitbit.
  • Rosegardenia
    Rosegardenia Posts: 53 Member
    Some people like myself workout once in the morning and once in the evening and
    log both exercises as 1. I do Zumba in the morning and use a chest Heart Rate Monitor
    which is usually about 470 calories in 50minutes. If I do this as well at night I would burn a total
    of 940 calories for the day. When logged it will show up on the feed as burning so many calories
    in so many minutes but you do not know if that was from one exercise or multiple ones combined!

I also will agree with the fact that the less you weigh and more fit you are the harder it is to burn
    more calories. I can not stress how important it is to use a HRM!!! MFP and the HRM on treadmills etc
    are defiantly NOT ACCURATE!! For people who are serious about this the only way is with a HRM PERIOD!

I would LOVE to burn over 1000 calories in a workout but to do that I would have to be morbidly obese
    and work my ars off til I about drop over!! :laugh:

THIS! That's me and my HRM says that I burn about 650 in about 45 mins.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Calories burned comes down to two things only - weight and intensity. The more you weigh the more you burn. The harder you work the more you burn.

Most people are overestimating their calorie burn - including those using a HRM.
    HRMs are designed for steady state cardio at a certain percentage of VO2 max. Things like intervals or lower intensity exercises will give a higher reading. It is not accurate at all for strength training.

To answer the question I burn over 1000 calories when I run over 10 miles, which is well over an hour of exercise.

Great posts on HRMs and accuracy
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Edited wrong link at first

2nd edit -
    How fit you are has nothing to do with how many calories you burn other than the fact you can probably work out longer or at a higher intensity. HRMs may be less accurate for fit individuals but that is not the same

If two individuals, one who is very fit and one who is not, who weigh the same do the exact same workout, say a run, they burn the same amount of calories.
  • TheLuSir
    TheLuSir Posts: 1,674 Member
    It takes me close to 2 hours of above average intensity to burn that many calories. I would plan on multiple workouts to effectively burn that many cals without burning yourself out.

I use my HRM to figure out the cals I burn and I subtract 50-100 before I add it to MFP for an error cushion.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I didn't read this article fully, but there is an equation in it about how much you burn according to body weight (http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning-0?page=single)

You can definitely burn over 1000 calories, it depends on you, the activity, and the amount of time you put into it. When I run over 8 miles, I burn over 1,000 calories, easy. Well, not necessarily easy because over 8 miles isn't really easy.

I also follow the calories on my garmin watch, rather than on MFP, and my watch calories is almost the same as the equation from the runners world site i posted. I found MFP over estimated calories, mapmyrun.com under estimated calories, and my watch seemed to be right on.

Good luck!

Garmin watch?? Do you have a model?

Not evey model bases calorie estimates on heart rate. If you go to their website and search the model, check the specs and it will tell you if that particular model does or not.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    I don't net 1000, but can get 700-800. I also don't trust MFP's numbers, I trust my HRM or a calculation (for WL'ing).

15 min cardo warm-up, 55-70 min weight lifting, then 20-30 min more cardo.

Warm-up cardo is arc trainer (stair climber) lvl 15-26, elevation 10-15 HR never tops more than 161. Sometimes Elliptical same length of time.

Last cardo is either treadmill interval walk/jog (3.5-5 mph) for 30 min or 20 min elliptical lvl 8-12. HR normally doesn't spike more than 175.

Rarely I'll do 30 min of circuit training instead of weight lifting, hr spikes to 180.
  • Long cardio is key.

Dancing for 2+ hours
    Snowshoeing
    hiking (at least 1.5 hours)

When I do more than 2 hours of cardio I can get a burn that high. otherwise not a chance.

I use the Body media system to keep track I found MFP estimates are WAY high

Also though since I have lots alot of the weight it is getting harder and harder to get a big deficit
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    My heart rate monitor is pretty accurate, so my burns listed are usually very close to accurate, weird being in the 1%. Work outs that get me over 1000 calories, 5+ mile run at 8:30 mile pace or faster, 20 mile bike at average cadence of 85 RPM/17 mph or faster, and circuit training hard for hour and 15 minutes will get me there too. Mainly has to do with metabolism, everyone's is different.
    This.
    When I am running say 7 miles in 60 minutes I usually get close to 1000 calories, then if I decide to lift some weights and then swim, I am well over. The other day I ran 7 miles, swam 3/4 of mile and then did a little resistance training and was well over 1000, but it also took me close to 2 hours. Just depends on what you do, for how long and intensity I think.
  • Flintbeats810
    Flintbeats810 Posts: 84 Member
    I have a Polar FT4. I weigh 233 pounds and i burned 1167 in 93 min the other day. It was 20 min stairmaster and 20 min elliptcial + Abs, Back and Triceps workout. Most the calories burned was from the cardio portion and i averaged 157 heart rate with a max heart rate of 168.

I agree that some exercises in MFP overestimates, but before i got my HRM i was surprised to find out it was under estimating on my cardio workouts.

everyone is different and i think part of it is just the effort you put into it.
  • ride four horses a day, in less than 3 hours
  • ril0riley
    ril0riley Posts: 54 Member
    Kinda suprised to see people recommending HRM's over MFP's calorie counts. I'm 6'4'', and at the start of my journey about an hour of running at a good clip would easily get me over 1100 according to the machine, which is what I typically count and is usually within 40-50 calories of MFP
    I have a Polar heart rate monitor and while I trust it as far as monitoring my heart rate I completely disregard calories burned.

These days a 50 minute run will get me ~950 calories according to the treadmill, ~900 according to MFP, and maybe ~1300 according to the HRM.
    I log and eat according to the treadmill numbers, which has worked great for me so far
    :shrug:
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    they are overestimating or relying on a gadget like an HRM
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    My heart rate monitor is pretty accurate, so my burns listed are usually very close to accurate, weird being in the 1%. Work outs that get me over 1000 calories, 5+ mile run at 8:30 mile pace or faster, 20 mile bike at average cadence of 85 RPM/17 mph or faster, and circuit training hard for hour and 15 minutes will get me there too. Mainly has to do with metabolism, everyone's is different.
    This.
    When I am running say 7 miles in 60 minutes I usually get close to 1000 calories, then if I decide to lift some weights and then swim, I am well over. The other day I ran 7 miles, swam 3/4 of mile and then did a little resistance training and was well over 1000, but it also took me close to 2 hours. Just depends on what you do, for how long and intensity I think.

runnig 7 miles in 60 minutes is not something most people can do. You must be very fast!
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Kinda suprised to see people recommending HRM's over MFP's calorie counts. I'm 6'4'', and at the start of my journey about an hour of running at a good clip would easily get me over 1100 according to the machine, which is what I typically count and is usually within 40-50 calories of MFP
    I have a Polar heart rate monitor and while I trust it as far as monitoring my heart rate I completely disregard calories burned.

These days a 50 minute run will get me ~950 calories according to the treadmill, ~900 according to MFP, and maybe ~1300 according to the HRM.
    I log and eat according to the treadmill numbers, which has worked great for me so far
    :shrug:
    I have noticed my treadmill numbers to be higher than MFP but lower than my HRM. I usually log the lowest, just because it makes me work harder.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Yesterday i was ECSTATIC for burning 650 cal in 75 minutes. And i PUSHED. I was at 180+ bpm heart rate almost the entire time and still only managed to burn 650 cal.

Thanks! :)

how is that possible? 180+ is at the upper range of performance. you should be burning more than 10 kcals per minutes. i can burn 1000 calories in an hour at 171 average.
  • Kioko1973
    Kioko1973 Posts: 56 Member
    If I burn a 1000+ calories it's because I had multiple workouts that day. I've never burned that much in a single workout. I would have to be on the bike or treadmill for HOURS to get that kind of burn. I use a HRM and I burned about 350 or so during Zumba and high intensity.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Higher weight + higher intensity ='s higher calorie burn
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    I'm nearly 6 feet tall of hard(ish) musclely goodness.... it takes a lot of energy to move this much mass around......
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    I am guilty of burning 1000+ cals in an hour long work out. But it's not by over-estimating or using MFP's calorie burn settings. My cals burned come off the machine itself after entering my weight, time, incline and resistance.

First off, I'm a little over 200 pounds. Secondly, I'm using the Cybex Arc Trainer and maxing out the settings. 10 on the incline and 100 on the resistance. The Cybex mainly works the thigh muscles which are the biggest muscles on the body. Sooooo, a person, a little over 200 pounds working the largest muscles in the body on the highest settings for 60 minutes can very easily burn 1000+ calories.