Ppl burning 1000+ cal per workout: WHAT IS YOUR SECRET!?

Options

Replies

• turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I ever make it to 500, and our 30 minute "boot camp" can be pretty intense.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I dont have a HRM, but I rely on the cardio machines at the gym for my burn total.. or if I swim or go for a walk I use the MFP readings... HOWEVER I dont eat all my exercise calories back. Some weekends I will go for a 4 hour walk with my hubby, then off to the gym for a 2 kilometer swim and an hours aqua aerobics class. That clocks in at an amazing MFP "burn"
  • rolandvarriale
    Options
    I weigh in around 205 and I usually do 2 different workouts for a half hour each but they are >500 calories usually as per my Polar FT7.

Rowing machine -> 600/30 mins
    Running @ 10 mph -> 550/30 mins
    Cycling @18-20mph -> 500/30 mins

I've found that as my body gets used to the exercise I have to push a lot harder to get my calorie burn up to what it once was. For instance, I used to burn 450-500 cal/ 30 mins on the elliptical and now it is difficult for me to even break 400 with higher levels.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    (And i dont know about you guys, but counting "house cleaning" or "walking around walmart" as an exercise is only hurting you in the long run. i consider that already factored into my "just being alive" calories)

I agree that day to day activities shouldn't be counted, but for some people something as simple as walking around walmart is exercise for them. If you are morbidly obese just a slow walk is about all you can do and gets their heart rate up just as much as a "true" workout would for a fitter person.

I try not to discredit the exercises logged by a person until I know the whole story.
  • runningwild00
    Options
    I didn't read this article fully, but there is an equation in it about how much you burn according to body weight (http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning-0?page=single)

You can definitely burn over 1000 calories, it depends on you, the activity, and the amount of time you put into it. When I run over 8 miles, I burn over 1,000 calories, easy. Well, not necessarily easy because over 8 miles isn't really easy.

I also follow the calories on my garmin watch, rather than on MFP, and my watch calories is almost the same as the equation from the runners world site i posted. I found MFP over estimated calories, mapmyrun.com under estimated calories, and my watch seemed to be right on.

Good luck!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, this is me,,,,i always burn over 1000 a day,,,,,I LOVE IT!
    I AM A GO GETTER, and proud of it
    your body is meant to be PUSHED!
    SO PUSH
    IT!
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You swim with your HRM?? what do you use? I tried with my polar once, and it wouldnt connect :-/

I use my HRM for swimming. Polar RS100. I had issues with it connecting at first too. The trick I learned is to adjust the strap tighter then I normally would for out of water workouts. That has cleared up any issue for me.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    I use Endomondo and it calculates based on my HRM. I usually burn about 100 calories per 10 minutes except when I'm running, where my average HR is around 180-190, so I usually burn closer to 120 calories per 10 minutes. Sometimes on lighter strength training days the ratio goes down, but usually not. I weigh 150 @ 5'6". I assume these are somewhat accurate because I'm killing it at the gym. Either way, I don't shoot for a number or eat back calories so my calories burned is only another number to me. Doesn't really tell me much.
  • Cherryblosm3
    Cherryblosm3 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    yep, this is me,,,,i always burn over 1000 a day,,,,,I LOVE IT!
    I AM A GO GETTER, and proud of it
    your body is meant to be PUSHED!
    SO PUSH
    IT!

I could burn 1000 cal a day as well lol im talking about people who burn it in an HOUR :)
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your heart rate is at 180 for most of that 75 minutes?

I'm only about ten or so lbs over where I'd like to be, and my heart rate runs between 120 and 150 during my 35 minute workouts, and I'm burning around 400. Each of my days is a little different, but that about my average cal burn.

If I had the stamina to do what I do in 30 minutes for 75 minutes, I'm sure I'd be close to 1000

180 has got to be close to your max, which I think is not recommended to sustain for extended periods of time (assuming you are 30, I calculate your max to be 196, maybe I'm wrong).
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    (And i dont know about you guys, but counting "house cleaning" or "walking around walmart" as an exercise is only hurting you in the long run. i consider that already factored into my "just being alive" calories)

I agree that day to day activities shouldn't be counted, but for some people something as simple as walking around walmart is exercise for them. If you are morbidly obese just a slow walk is about all you can do and gets their heart rate up just as much as a "true" workout would for a fitter person.

I try not to discredit the exercises logged by a person until I know the whole story.

Wal-mart walkers exist! They are like the mall walkers!! I used to run a wal-mart and beleive me.. the elderly crowd would come in the minute our doors opened and just do laps.. They never bought ANYTHING> lol
  • MelyndaWaldner
    MelyndaWaldner Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I workout first thing in the morning, weight lifting supersets and running 2-3 miles. I wear a HRM, I try on average to burn 700 calories in my morning session.

I also workout in the afternoon and I try to push my self to burn at least 400-500 calories during that session. So some of my totals are over 1000 calories for the day.
  • travishalogod
    travishalogod Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My experiences with MFP is that they underestimate the calories.. if you do bodybuilding, like myself. it burnes 8-10 calories a minute. this is a general fact and it is verified by hrm.. heart rate monitors are the best way to go.. but usually if you are buring that many calories it is a crazy workout like Insanity or some crossfit class.. according to Insanity's meal plans and such, they advertise burning over 1000 calories per workout, but that greatly depends on your weight and fitness level and it is best tracked with a HRM. I personally have burned up to 1800 calories in a day, but it was about 3 hours total of working out.. and exhausting..
    you have to adopt an active lifestyle.. and then you burn more.

message or add me if you have any questions.
  • Cherryblosm3
    Options
    I didn't read this article fully, but there is an equation in it about how much you burn according to body weight (http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning-0?page=single)

You can definitely burn over 1000 calories, it depends on you, the activity, and the amount of time you put into it. When I run over 8 miles, I burn over 1,000 calories, easy. Well, not necessarily easy because over 8 miles isn't really easy.

I also follow the calories on my garmin watch, rather than on MFP, and my watch calories is almost the same as the equation from the runners world site i posted. I found MFP over estimated calories, mapmyrun.com under estimated calories, and my watch seemed to be right on.

Good luck!

Garmin watch?? Do you have a model?
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    The more you weigh the more calories you burn, you probably just weigh less than them.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM so am fairly accurate.

How do I do it? Well lifting for an hour is about 400 +/- for me.

My 1000+ cal burns are typically:

Running 9+miles in one shot

or

3+ hours of krav maga which I reach on Thursdays (one hour of Level 2 work, followed by one hour of high inetsnity hand combatives, followed by Level 1)

My personal best for a cal burn was around 1800 in 2:55 hours running a half
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    live in Antarctica or the Arctic.
  • Gusman14
    Gusman14 Posts: 94
    Options
    For me to burn over 1000 calories involves at least 1 hour and 15 minutes of elliptical at level 10, StairMaster at level 10, and treadmill at 5.5 mph pace. It is a good combination for me that produces a good burn and lots of sweat. The HRM and the fitness machine calories burnt have always been within 3-5% of MFP numbers.

I am 6'1" and 256. Started off January 7th on this journey at 301. The results from these workouts are working. Started slow and keep pushing the body harder each time. Levels will increase along with speeds. The more weight I have loss the less that I have burnt. I now hate when I take my rest day from the gym. Bottom Line: Keep pushing your body to burn those calories. You will feel so much better in the long run.

Oh yeah, an hour or two of snow shoveling gives you some heavy burns also...
  • Cherryblosm3
    Options
    Are you sure your heart rate is at 180 for most of that 75 minutes?

I'm only about ten or so lbs over where I'd like to be, and my heart rate runs between 120 and 150 during my 35 minute workouts, and I'm burning around 400. Each of my days is a little different, but that about my average cal burn.

If I had the stamina to do what I do in 30 minutes for 75 minutes, I'm sure I'd be close to 1000

180 has got to be close to your max, which I think is not recommended to sustain for extended periods of time (assuming you are 30, I calculate your max to be 196, maybe I'm wrong).

I definitely feel like im going to pass out when i do this. I was anywhere from 170-191 last night. But i think my heart rate is just naturally high.. my resting is something crazy like 100bpm. Just walking up my apt stairs gets me to like 170bpm.. not sure what that means, but i literally CANNOT run without being in the really high heart rate range. even when im trying to be in Zen mode lol
  • Antria1214
    Options
    There is no secret, I have burned as much as 2,000 calories in a 80 minute workout but my BMI is 47. I am a healthy obese person on a mission to lose weight without having any surgery. I have been doing the stairmaster and the arc cross trainer versus the treadmill. I set the intensity and resistance at the highest level which is something like resistance 10 and cross ramp 95 the maximum is 100. Most people will do a 4 resistance with the cross ramp at 20 and will be going super fast. Now, I may not do 3,000 rpms but I am burning mad calories. It feels like I am literally carrying a tree uphill for 80 minutes. I am sweating like a crazy person and when I am done, I feel FANTASTIC! I average about 3,000 rpms which is about 4 miles. My calories burned is usually about 2,000 or more and my age is 48. So if it is not accurate, I bet I am really close. Plus, I also have my fitbit on which has me burning even more calories. It tracks my steps at about 10,000 in 80 minutes. My goal is to be fit enough to go and sign up with a personal trainer who can push me even harder. I have about 100 pounds to go.