Just an opinion: Clean-eating vs IIFYM

Options

Replies

• RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    junk food is for fat people. if you don't wanna be fat, don't eat junk food. arguing won't change that.

No wonder I'm so huge. Why didn't anybody tell me?!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    junk food is for fat people. if you don't wanna be fat, don't eat junk food. arguing won't change that.

No wonder I'm so huge. Why didn't anybody tell me?!

Megan Fox went on Conan and confessed to being a "junk food junkie". That was pre-baby too!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about this. I definitely am not an all-or-nothing "clean" eater. If I go out to eat socially or share a special meal with my family, I will probably eat something that isn't "clean," like tortilla chips, white bread, or a cupcake. Because I don't do this sort of thing on a daily or even weekly basis, I do not worry that one meal is going to cause me to gain 5 pounds or die a year earlier than I would have otherwise. But easily 95% of the time, I eat a grain-free diet full of organic fruits and vegetables and wild-caught fish or grass-fed/pasture-raised meats. I do believe it makes a difference in my health because it makes a difference in the way I feel on a day to day basis. I don't think I would feel good if I ate grains every day or if I drank alcohol every day, whether it fits in my macros or not.

Having said that, I don't think anyone should try to force him/herself to eat in a way that they don't find enjoyable. I like the way I eat. It is not hard for me to stick to it, and I don't feel like I am being deprived of anything. And it is reasonable to expect that if you try to give up a whole food group (like grains) after having eaten them all your life, you will probably experience some withdrawal-like symptoms. But if you do it long enough that eating less processed foods becomes habitual and normal for you and you no longer have cravings for those things, then you're not really depriving yourself of them. To me, deprivation is willing yourself not to eat something you really want, to the extent that it causes you stress, as the OP described. But not everyone who gives up certain foods feels that stress, and I really hate that we've started attaching the term "orthorexia" to people who have simply chosen a different lifestyle (yes, I'm calling it a lifestyle because what you put in your body affects literally everything you do). How sick has the world's population become that we are saying you have some kind of illness if you pay very close attention to the quality of food you eat?
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Water
    Hops
    Barley
    Yeast.

Sounds pretty clean to me. IIFMM, that is. :drinker:

Sounds reinheitsgebot pure.

My method of eating is simple, hit my macros, which means, eat my meat, eat those roast veg I love, and drink any grains I need or want.

Besides, nothing lives in ethanol, so that's as clean as it gets.

We're doing the Lord's work.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I used to follow a clean eating plan, which meant a "cheat meal" and a glass of red wine now and then. It also involved 6 small meals a day. I can remember forgoing a glass of wine for a palmful of. Potato chips and feeling guilty! I remember thinking that my cheat meal should be more "bad". It did work, I was in excellent shape. I felt badly if I had an apple with no protein, I felt bad if I missed a meal, especially <gasp> breakfast. I probably eat close to the same way now at least half the time, the other half I will eat an apple for a snack with nothing else, I'll have popcorn for dinner, I'll drink two glasses of wine with an 800 calorie lunch, and I'll even go four or more hours without eating. And it is just as effective. The main difference is IIFYM makes sense in my head, and I get to make choices:)
  • NyxariaMoon
    NyxariaMoon Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I guess, essentially what I'm saying is that happier people live longer so do what makes you happy.

This.

If I spend the majority of my life obsessing and stressing over what I am eating just to live longer, then the quality of my life wouldn't be where I would like it. I'll take quality over quantity and if that means eating pizza, burgers, ice cream, cheesecake, etc., when I crave it, then that's what I'll do. I've already spent too much of my life obsessed with food and my weight to continue with that process. When I don't deprive myself of something, I find that I do better with food choices over-all and I have finally realized that I can eat what I love and still be healthy. That knowledge is extremely freeing!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    How sick has the world's population become that we are saying you have some kind of illness if you pay very close attention to the quality of food you eat?

Not true at all. Just by eating nutritious foods doesn't make one orthorexic. There is a line that someone can crossover into that territory, though. You, obviously, aren't one of those.

There are people that look at food in an unhealthy way. To the point that they may be undereating because they can't get past labeling foods as "clean" or "unclean".

ETA: Or, the thought of eating out at a restaurant causes an extreme level of stress.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Smoking made me happy . I don't think it was good for me . Just my opinion
  • blaiseastra
    Options
    In any case, the IIFYM recommendations would actually be physically impossible for me to do: according to the formula, I'd apparently be eating so much protein and fat that I would have to eat negative carbs. I haven't figured out how to do that yet! :huh:

You must have been looking at keto. IIFYM doesn't prescribe 0 carbs. That's not even possible.

I was trying not to give specific numbers because it tells how much I weigh, but oh well. :ohwell: Here's a screenie:

pplbdh9l.png
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    How sick has the world's population become that we are saying you have some kind of illness if you pay very close attention to the quality of food you eat?

Not true at all. Just by eating nutritious foods doesn't make one orthorexic. There is a line that someone can crossover into that territory, though. You, obviously, aren't one of those.

There are people that look at food in an unhealthy way. To the point that they may be undereating because they can't get past labeling foods as "clean" or "unclean".

ETA: Or, the thought of eating out at a restaurant causes an extreme level of stress.

Exactly that... if you can eat clean and be happy, then do it. If IIFYM is a better fit, then do it. But in no way, should anyone EVER feel guilty about what they put in their mouth! If you do feel guilty, then you have a bad relationship with food.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    In any case, the IIFYM recommendations would actually be physically impossible for me to do: according to the formula, I'd apparently be eating so much protein and fat that I would have to eat negative carbs. I haven't figured out how to do that yet! :huh:

You must have been looking at keto. IIFYM doesn't prescribe 0 carbs. That's not even possible.

I was trying not to give specific numbers because it tells how much I weigh, but oh well. :ohwell: Here's a screenie:

pplbdh9]pplbdh9l.png
    When I can figure out how to embed... :embarassed:

I hope this fixed it.

Oh well, I got a little x in a box. I tried.
  • blaiseastra
    Options

pplbdh9]pplbdh9l.png
    When I can figure out how to embed... :embarassed:

I hope this fixed it.

Oh well, I got a little x in a box. I tried.

Thanks... I got it this time. Apparently img tags can't be in caps. :)
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I think a mix of the two works best. Keep good macro balance but don't hinder yourself too much and by the clean eating but try to abide by it as best as possible.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

pplbdh9l.png

You wouldn't want to use grams/lb of current weight. For you, it would be fine to use grams/lb of goal weight. That will still be sufficient protein and fat intake.
  • blaiseastra
    Options

pplbdh9l.png

You wouldn't want to use grams/lb of current weight. For you, it would be fine to use grams/lb of goal weight. That will still be sufficient protein and fat intake.

Thanks for the info! I'll play around with those numbers and see what I come up with. I'm not sure I'll change anything, but I find it interesting to look at the different plans people use! :happy:
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    What website gave you this chart?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Subjective. I eat junk food at least once a week. Am I that fat?:laugh: :laugh:

This is what I meant about "clean" eaters criticizing others.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't know what other people's definition of clean eating would be, but for me, I basically use it as a way to say that something doesn't have a lot of heavy oils or grease in it. I try to stay away from that only because my workouts personally suffer when I have those kinds of foods all the time.

On the other hand, if poptarts and ice cream fit my macros and I've already gotten all my nutrients from everything else, why the hell would I bother with carrot sticks???

I have cheesecake everyday of my life. I don't think I'm fat. My doctor says I'm healthy.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Well, I guess all the weight and inches I've lost are all negated because I eat "junk" every so often.

And to anyone new reading this..,the above is false.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    people who follow paleo/primal/clean eating rules definitely DO NOT exhibit behaviors that are similar to cult-like behaviors.

definitely NOT.

just sayin'.