Tell me again why eating before bed won't make me fat?

Options

Replies

• MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    what if you don't eat pork belly... is there a chicken belly or beef belly... is the science the same???

Absolutely the same, yes. Consider the chicken. Chicken breast - big, heavy, dense. That little clucker is going to go straight to fat the moment you lay down and it settles. Now; chicken nuggets? Well the clue's in the name...nuggets....they're little and light. Barely there in fact. There's literally no chance that a chicken nugget is going to settle quickly and turn to fat.
  • johnboy513
    Options
    what if you don't eat pork belly... is there a chicken belly or beef belly... is the science the same???

Absolutely the same, yes. Consider the chicken. Chicken breast - big, heavy, dense. That little clucker is going to go straight to fat the moment you lay down and it settles. Now; chicken nuggets? Well the clue's in the name...nuggets....they're little and light. Barely there in fact. There's literally no chance that a chicken nugget is going to settle quickly and turn to fat.

So fried chicken nuggets are good to eat before bed... good to know 20pc Mcnuggets are my new night cap
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Oh dear Lord, does that mean candyfloss is okay too? I mean, that weighs barely anything!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

I can't see the flaw there. Why is this just coming to light?! In the aforementioned book is there a chapter on the benefits of sleeping while in the standing position? I have been promoting that for years and I would love to add to my sources that support the position.
  • AwesomeTriathlon
    AwesomeTriathlon Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Because your body doesn't have an actual clock. Food is food and whenever you eat it, it's going to digest it just the same as if you were sitting on the couch (going for no exercise here) after dinner or watching a movie. Your body doesn't go into starvation mode overnight!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Here is a summary about the reality of night time eating from a bodybuilder with a PHd in Nutritional sciences.

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/carbs-at-night-fat-loss-killer-or-imaginary-boogeyman/

lolz - just noticed that the earlier article I posted was actually posted on the first page...derp.

Here is a review of the anabolic effects of GH from the British Journal of Sports Medicine for people concerned about GH being suppressed by eating at night.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/37/2/100.full

Did you cite the wrong article? I read the entire thing and it was basically just speaking to the issue of taking exogenous GH. No one here was advocating any artificial use of rhGH--so why go there? The article actually affirmed that the majority of our natural supply comes during sleep but nothing further was said about it. It did mention that exercise does stimulate natural GH production, but other research has revealed that nighttime secretion is still the most plenteous.

That was not the reason I posted it.

Then, would you like to reveal your purpose?

I though that my post explained that when I said:

"Here is a review of the anabolic effects of GH from the British Journal of Sports Medicine for people concerned about GH being suppressed by eating at night."

But the article did not speak to that.

Does not speak to what?

The issue of natural GH being suppressed by eating a lot before bed.

I never said it did

Then why did you mention it?

I said why in my post

No, you didn't, but I'm unwilling to argue the point any further.

That is your opinion. Maybe you just did not read it the right way.

And maybe what you implied was just wrong.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go on an all cotton candy diet. Nothing is lighter and fluffier!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Because math.
    this
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go on an all cotton candy diet. Nothing is lighter and fluffier!

This seems like a good idea, but don't forget about the possible dental reprocussions! Otherwise, sounds great.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Here is a summary about the reality of night time eating from a bodybuilder with a PHd in Nutritional sciences.

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/carbs-at-night-fat-loss-killer-or-imaginary-boogeyman/

lolz - just noticed that the earlier article I posted was actually posted on the first page...derp.

Here is a review of the anabolic effects of GH from the British Journal of Sports Medicine for people concerned about GH being suppressed by eating at night.

Did you cite the wrong article? I read the entire thing and it was basically just speaking to the issue of taking exogenous GH. No one here was advocating any artificial use of rhGH--so why go there? The article actually affirmed that the majority of our natural supply comes during sleep but nothing further was said about it. It did mention that exercise does stimulate natural GH production, but other research has revealed that nighttime secretion is still the most plenteous.

"Here is a review of the anabolic effects of GH from the British Journal of Sports Medicine for people concerned about GH being suppressed by eating at night."

Does not speak to what?

I never said it did

I said why in my post

Nope. Sorry that you did not understand.

ETA: I thought that you were not going to argue the point any further.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

It's ok, I know the science of weight loss can be confounding at times....although I have to say that you are very perceptive because you are right, having soda make *all* your food float to the top is as bad as having it all settling to the bottom...it just means you'll get a fat torso rather than a fat *kitten*.

So; there are two solutions for you:

1. Moderate your soda intake. Take a few sips, then a few bites of your food, then a few more sips so that everything is a bit more mixed up.
    2. Invest in my Gyronator 3000; proven to gently mix your food into small, non-fat making particles. This man lost 350lb with a healthy 'low density food diet' and 30 minutes a day on the Gyronator 3000 and he's never looked back!

188_gyro_shoot_009.jpg

tumblr_lucboxF2cK1r17826_zps13b31da1.gif
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Does not speak to what?

I never said it did

I said why in my post

Nope. Sorry that you did not understand.

ETA: I thought that you were not going to argue the point any further.

What? And let you have the last word?! :laugh: :wink:
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about a glass of milk or a small snack here. I'm talking to the people who believe that it doesn't matter when you eat your calories. I get that your body can't distinguish time and doesn't care when it gets food, but if a person eats during the hours he/she is up and moving then there is a greater immediate need for kcal and less is stored for later use. But if a person eats and then goes to sleep?

Let's say Bob's BMR is 1600/24hr. Basic math would say that Bob would burn 66.67 kcal/hr while sleeping. If Bob has a 6 hour sleep cycle, he would burn 400kcal during those 6 hours. Right?

If basic biochem holds true, when Bob eats, his body will use whatever kcal it needs to meet its immediate energy requirements and store the rest for later use. Yes?

Holding these first two statements to be true, if Bob eats 1200kcal of Ben and Jerry's while watching the Biggest Loser and then immediately goes to bed, how are the extra 800kcal used? Because if they're not used, they're stored. Right? And if only so many kcal go to replenish glycogen stores, what about the rest?

Discuss...

I guess it depends on the person. I have lost 55 lbs while working the night shift and eating my last meal about an hour before I go to sleep.
  • dmaster555
    Options
    You will not get fat for eating at night.

If you eat at night at a caloric deficit, you will lose weight the same.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If eating before bed makes you fat, shouldn't eating before a workout make you thinner?

Just a thought ;-)
  • dmaster555
    Options

I guess it depends on the person. I have lost 55 lbs while working the night shift and eating my last meal about an hour before I go to sleep.

It doesn't depend on the person. ANYONE can eat at night and not gain fat if they eat at a caloric deficit. It's just a dumb myth that ignorant people pass along.

The reason you will weigh more temporarily in the morning is not because you gained fat..it's because wait... wait.... wait for it....
    YOU HAVE FOOD IN YOUR BODY from last night DURR...

Educate yourselves on how the human body works. If you eat in a DEFICIT, it doesn't matter if your last meal was at 3 AM, or 3 PM.

Please be aware that this is exactly why so many of you fail to lose weight.

You believe everything you hear and are ignorant about the human body. Stop trying to complicate things and get your calories in and relax..
  • KIMBeeFIT
    KIMBeeFIT Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is actually a topic. Here is the deal- The body repairs itself when you sleep (creates new muscle, hair, nails, de stresses the body, digests, detoxifies..) so any thought of eating something right before bed is stupid. Yeah, we get it, calories in, calories out-whatever, but beside the point of weight gain, EVERYTHING slows down while the body is asleep including digestion. Why give the body another load of tasks when its time for rest? Why ferment your gut while you sleep?! Only to wake up to a white coated tounge, stinky breath and a headache. All eating before bed does it hold off all rest your body needs, and all for what? All just to digest some Cheerios? Weight gain or not, No thanks.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m2yfm5GKpD1rnvltw.gif
  • dmaster555
    Options
    I can't believe this is actually a topic. Here is the deal- The body repairs itself when you sleep (creates new muscle, hair, nails, de stresses the body, digests, detoxifies..) so any thought of eating something right before bed is stupid. Yeah, we get it, calories in, calories out-whatever, but beside the point of weight gain, EVERYTHING slows down while the body is asleep including digestion. Why give the body another load of tasks when its time for rest? Why ferment your gut while you sleep?! Only to wake up to a white coated tounge, stinky breath and a headache. All eating before bed does it hold off all rest your body needs, and all for what? All just to digest some Cheerios? Weight gain or not, No thanks.

Why don't you do some real research before posting?
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I do live by Jillian Micheals rules. She says NO food after 9 and no CARBS after 7. Your body will simply turn it into fat. Even sugary food. Her thing is to eat yogurt if you neeed a snack-greek low fat of course. It works! If I am watching Hell's Kitchen and have nothing to eat I get so pissed, so I eat yogurt or carrot/celery with hummus. Then I dont feel deprived. And no booze before bed. She has it down for 2 drinks a WEEK. And beer or a lowfat vodka drink. I suggest bubblegum vodka with club soda. Lowfat, tastes great and a nice mellow buzz. Does that kinda help? lol:smile:

There is no fat in alcohol.