Tell me again why eating before bed won't make me fat?

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is actually a topic. Here is the deal- The body repairs itself when you sleep (creates new muscle, hair, nails, de stresses the body, digests, detoxifies..) so any thought of eating something right before bed is stupid. Yeah, we get it, calories in, calories out-whatever, but beside the point of weight gain, EVERYTHING slows down while the body is asleep including digestion. Why give the body another load of tasks when its time for rest? Why ferment your gut while you sleep?! Only to wake up to a white coated tounge, stinky breath and a headache. All eating before bed does it hold off all rest your body needs, and all for what? All just to digest some Cheerios? Weight gain or not, No thanks.

^^^Good post.^^^
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is actually a topic. Here is the deal- The body repairs itself when you sleep (creates new muscle, hair, nails, de stresses the body, digests, detoxifies..) so any thought of eating something right before bed is stupid. Yeah, we get it, calories in, calories out-whatever, but beside the point of weight gain, EVERYTHING slows down while the body is asleep including digestion. Why give the body another load of tasks when its time for rest? Why ferment your gut while you sleep?! Only to wake up to a white coated tounge, stinky breath and a headache. All eating before bed does it hold off all rest your body needs, and all for what? All just to digest some Cheerios? Weight gain or not, No thanks.

:huh:

Excellent first post. :noway:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Hmmmmmm... food won't 'ferment' as the pH of the stomach is usually less than 2.

I do eat late at night and I always brush and floss before bed, as I hope you all do. Clean mouth = no bad breath in the morning.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

2.5 years of build up.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If eating before bed makes you fat, shouldn't eating before a workout make you thinner?

Just a thought ;-)

Does this give me permission to make a pit stop at McDonalds at the beginning of a run? :wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Need to find the study, but your RMR increases during sleep.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

lol! Exactly what I thought!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

lolwut?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

This and that ^^
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    So let's say in a 24 hour period you burn 2200 calories.
    And let's say within that 24 hour period you eat 1700 calories (suppose you at 700 of them in bed).

What is 2200 - 1700?

I think you're missing the point. The body doesn't burn kcal at a steady rate. Even if Bob burns 2200 kcal in a 24hr period and only consumes 1000 during his day, giving the body more kcal than it NEEDS at any one time will result in storage. Even if Bob eats his ice cream in the middle of the day, any excess kcal will be stored for later use. And once the immediate energy needs are met and glycogen has been replenished, how are the extra kcal not stored as fat?

I believe it's you who are missing the point.

^^ This.
    What you going to do ? Calculate how many calories you use each hour of the day and spend hours making sure your meals don't contain more than you will use for the upcoming period until the next meal? Get a grip, seriously.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    While eating before bed may not necessarily make you fat (I haven't just now, so I won't know for sure until later), it invites your health to an uphill battle for various reasons, some of which have already been posted to this thread. I for one, more often than not, would wake up in the middle of the night when having eaten before bed. After all, who wants a brick smack in one's belly, not to mention then? My habit of not eating for as many as four hours before bed comes from the stomach's tranquil feel of lightness at bedtime and that the body will burn fat throughout the entire night's sleep. The underlying mechanism is that you can't absorb food and burn fat at the same time. There's the absorption phase which takes place after a meal and for the next about four hours, and there's the post-absorption phase when the body starts to use stored nutrients. I would imagine the other twelve hour half of a twenty-four hour period lends itself far less easily to such uninterrupted fasting. So to those of you joining us this morning, dig in!

What? lol
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure after reading all these comments, that some people will never be able to eat. Or they will have to do such intense mathematical computations that they will never have time to eat. Digestion if such a fluid operation that you will never KNOW when things are digested exactly, to be used by the body.

Eat healthy foods, eat enough to fuel your body correctly, & lift heavy things. Oh, and brush your teeth before you go to bed and your tongue will not be white and coated when you wake. :flowerforyou:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    You guys are missing the real value of this thread. If you fill your car up with gas BEFORE you go on a trip, it will use more gas and you will spend more money on gas. But if you fill it up AFTER you come back from your trip, the car will just sit there with extra fuel in the tank, it will be stored and you will save gas.

This is almost as genius as, "let's all boycott gas stations on the same Thursday once, that'll teach the oil companies!"
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options

This and that ^^

Say whaaa? :noway:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    personally I cant eat after dinner because it sets me up into a binge pattern.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Why give the body another load of tasks when its time for rest? Why ferment your gut while you sleep?! Only to wake up to a white coated tounge, stinky breath and a headache. .

So what's in your gut ferments overnight?

Soooooooo.......if I ate a load of hops, barley and sugar before I went to bed.....

I'm sensing the bright winds of opportunity here. 'MsPudding's Old Gut Buster ' here we come!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    personally I cant eat after dinner because it sets me up into a binge pattern.

But the point is that it sets you into a binge pattern.

Does it set me into a binge pattern? No and I would say that it doesn't for those that are posting here that they eat late.

Do what works for you and let others do what works for them. The idea that eating late at night makes you fat is preposterous. It's just the perpetuation of a weight loss myth.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    The problem with eating late at night is that when you lay down all the food settles in whatever direction you're laying down and then sinks into your body as fat!! So lay on your back and all that food is going to turn into a fat *kitten*....lay on your side and your late night meal with settle into fat hips....lay on your front and you'll get a bigger belly.

Eating during the day whilst you're moving around means the food never has a chance to settle and become fat; instead it swiches around and gets broken down into smaller and smaller pieces as you move around until they're too small to even become fat...and then your body expels them.

FACT.

I am now dumber for having read that. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

It's not moon glue lady, it's fat.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    The problem with eating late at night is that when you lay down all the food settles in whatever direction you're laying down and then sinks into your body as fat!! So lay on your back and all that food is going to turn into a fat *kitten*....lay on your side and your late night meal with settle into fat hips....lay on your front and you'll get a bigger belly.

Eating during the day whilst you're moving around means the food never has a chance to settle and become fat; instead it swiches around and gets broken down into smaller and smaller pieces as you move around until they're too small to even become fat...and then your body expels them.

FACT.

I am now dumber for having read that. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

It's not moon glue lady, it's fat.

img01.png

found a better one
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Because math.

Simply ^^this^^