Tell me again why eating before bed won't make me fat?

Options

Replies

• Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    I can't believe this is actually a topic. Here is the deal- The body repairs itself when you sleep (creates new muscle, hair, nails, de stresses the body, digests, detoxifies..) so any thought of eating something right before bed is stupid. Yeah, we get it, calories in, calories out-whatever, but beside the point of weight gain, EVERYTHING slows down while the body is asleep including digestion. Why give the body another load of tasks when its time for rest? Why ferment your gut while you sleep?! Only to wake up to a white coated tounge, stinky breath and a headache. All eating before bed does it hold off all rest your body needs, and all for what? All just to digest some Cheerios? Weight gain or not, No thanks.

Need to find the study, but your RMR increases during sleep.

^This. You don't need to find the study, it's common knowledge amongst polysomnographers.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Why give the body another load of tasks when its time for rest? Why ferment your gut while you sleep?! Only to wake up to a white coated tounge, stinky breath and a headache. .

So what's in your gut ferments overnight?

Soooooooo.......if I ate a load of hops, barley and sugar before I went to bed.....

I'm sensing the bright winds of opportunity here. 'MsPudding's Old Gut Buster ' here we come!

Or nail polish remover, lemonade and blue food colouring... Blue Wkd!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Why give the body another load of tasks when its time for rest? Why ferment your gut while you sleep?! Only to wake up to a white coated tounge, stinky breath and a headache. .

So what's in your gut ferments overnight?

Soooooooo.......if I ate a load of hops, barley and sugar before I went to bed.....

I'm sensing the bright winds of opportunity here. 'MsPudding's Old Gut Buster ' here we come!

Or nail polish remover, lemonade and blue food colouring... Blue Wkd!

God I drank a lot of that stuff at uni :sick:
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Some people, like myself, lived at night. Sorry, when you work retail, you eat late and you eat bad food. BUT, while working Black Friday, Christmas Eve, and major hours around that time, I managed to get my weight loss going with a steady diet of McDonalds, Tim Hortons, and chocolate, even at 10pm, 11pm, or midnight. Hell, on Black Friday, I think my "lunch break" was around 1am. You can do it no matter what hour it is. Now that things have slowed down, I can make more mindful choices in what I eat. Don't knock eating late or stereotypically "unhealthy" food, because sometimes it's all you can get, but that shouldn't change the fact that you can still lose weight.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options

I am now dumber for having read that. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

It's not moon glue lady, it's fat.

Does this mean you won't be buying my book? I'm donating half the proceeds are going to a home for retired meerkats :-(
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options

I am now dumber for having read that. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

It's not moon glue lady, it's fat.

Does this mean you won't be buying my book? I'm donating half the proceeds are going to a home for retired meerkats :-(

Well, if you're donating to retired meerkats I might buy it... but not because of the book itself. I'd only buy it because meerkats are so adorable.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    But, you know what would make it even worse? If Bob doesn't eat breakfast. Then his metabolism wouldn't restart after sleeping. So now he stored all those calories that he ate right before bed AND he left his metabolism stopped, too!

I just figured that would add in another myth and make Bob's situation even more disastrous. :bigsmile:

LOL Bob is now in starvation mode..oh noooooooooo
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I can't believe I just did this. But here goes. To spell it out:

Consider this spreadsheet. It represents some fictional person who has a TDEE of 2120

The hour column represents the 24 hours in a day.

Hours 17 thru 24 are sleep, so he's burning only 65 cals per hour that hour. The rest of the hours he burns 100 cals per hour.

He has 3 meals over the course of the day for 500, 300, and 750 calories respectively/

You can see that over the course of the day, he at some points reaches a surplus, and at some points reaches a deficit.

DMjxo6x.png

On balance, he achieves a deficit of 570 calories for this day

I invite you to create a spreadsheet of your own and divvy up the meals however you like.

If you still don't get it after this overcomplicated explanation, then I'm sorry.

Edit: er, actually, the way I laid it out, he's in a deficit all day. But you get the point? No? Probably not? I don't care.

dude you got way too much time on your hands....LOL :)
  • GrnEyz80
    GrnEyz80 Posts: 121
    Options
    Eating before bed (NOT A LOT! Just like a high protein snack before bed) gives your metabolism a boost. If you think about it you are basically going into starvation mode for 8 hours. This protein snack helps keep your metabolism from plummeting while you're sleeping.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I am no expert, but I do live by Jillian Micheals rules. She says NO food after 9 and no CARBS after 7. Your body will simply turn it into fat. Even sugary food. Her thing is to eat yogurt if you neeed a snack-greek low fat of course. It works! If I am watching Hell's Kitchen and have nothing to eat I get so pissed, so I eat yogurt or carrot/celery with hummus. Then I dont feel deprived. And no booze before bed. She has it down for 2 drinks a WEEK. And beer or a lowfat vodka drink. I suggest bubblegum vodka with club soda. Lowfat, tastes great and a nice mellow buzz. Does that kinda help? lol:smile:

jillian - with all due respect - is dead wrong...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Eating before bed (NOT A LOT! Just like a high protein snack before bed) gives your metabolism a boost. If you think about it you are basically going into starvation mode for 8 hours. This protein snack helps keep your metabolism from plummeting while you're sleeping.
    ummm No..meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism...
  • JustMQ
    JustMQ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a cupcake in bed while I read this thread :bigsmile:

You're my favorite.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Solution: eat ice cream for breakfast
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

werd!
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I eat 90% of my calories right before bed. During the day it's mostly the almond milk and sweetener in my tea (lots and lots of delicious tea.) Check my ticker (also keeping in mind that I only started ACTUALLY using my acct. a couple months ago.) I think I'm okay with my late night meals.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

werd!

I have to second that
  • SRH7
    Options

:noway:

Not sure where you read this but it's not true (think Kelly Osbourne came out with something like this a bit ago, if I'm not mistaken - she was wrong too). Timing of eating has no effect on metabolism.

If you like to eat before bed, do. If you don't, don't.
  • SRH7
    Options

One of my MFP friends feeds her kids icecream made with bananas, oats and peanut butter for breakfast (freeze chopped bananas then blitz in a blender with the other ingredients). She's a very wise woman persuading her kids to eat a healthy breakfast - and it also gives her major cool points with them.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Erm, because the subject was well and truly discussed and a conclusion reached by the end of page 2 (i.e. calories in, calories out, time of day does not matter). But we were all having such a lovely time chatting we decided to continue with the thread. I really don't know why this would upset you.

If the OP disagrees then we will stop, but I haven't heard that she does.

Nope. This has become far more entertaining than I had imagined. :smokin:
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

It doesn't upset me, but I was concerned that she would feel that others were looking down on her.

Not even in the slightest.