Tell me again why eating before bed won't make me fat?

Options

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    So let's say in a 24 hour period you burn 2200 calories.
    And let's say within that 24 hour period you eat 1700 calories (suppose you at 700 of them in bed).

What is 2200 - 1700?

Basic math always makes the most sense to me.

I cleaned house last night and lost track of time. Ate dinner at 1130p. Ended the day 400+ calories deficit. But I will add more fat?

No.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If you dream about running, you will actually lose weight in your sleep. True story.

Will I lose more fat is someone is chasing me in a dream or does it matter? I mean, even at the same speed, a chaser makes it more stressful.

No, wait...stress can stall your weight loss, can't it? Damn! my dream sucked more than I thought it did. :grumble:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Solution: eat ice cream for breakfast

What? No poptarts? Wasn't there another thread that clearly established the health benefits of poptart and ice cream sandwiches? C'mon people, keep up with the science! :devil:

You rang?!

1e5d25f4-0dbd-426e-9019-d360b129083f_zps9caf145c.jpg
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

What? No poptarts? Wasn't there another thread that clearly established the health benefits of poptart and ice cream sandwiches? C'mon people, keep up with the science! :devil:

You rang?!

Atta boy! :bigsmile:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    no no what happens is your intestine shuts down at 8pm..so anything you eat after 8pm backs up and ferments.....

Does your intestine take account of daylight savings?

What happens if your change time zone? I'm in GMT....so if I ate a big late supper, but then got on a plane to New York I should have an extra 5 hours of digestion time!

Hey....is this why I've never seen a fat pilot?
    And astronauts. They change time zones every few minutes while in orbit. See? That whole "zero gravity causes atrophy" thing is just a cover-up.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    no no what happens is your intestine shuts down at 8pm..so anything you eat after 8pm backs up and ferments.....

Does your intestine take account of daylight savings?

What happens if your change time zone? I'm in GMT....so if I ate a big late supper, but then got on a plane to New York I should have an extra 5 hours of digestion time!

Hey....is this why I've never seen a fat pilot?
    And astronauts. They change time zones every few minutes while in orbit. See? That whole "zero gravity causes atrophy" thing is just a cover-up.

And zero gravity is great when sleeping - keep rolling over all night/day long so the fat doesn't settle. Simple!
  • magerum
    Options

You rang?!

Atta boy! :bigsmile:

Because science
  • dollhousedolly
    dollhousedolly Posts: 73 Member
    Options

You rang?!

Thanks to you guys I now add poptarts and icecream to my grocery list ><
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options

You rang?!

Dear Magerum,
    I love you. <3
  • Dargealing
    Dargealing Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I read the article link that was posted here and I am so happy that I feel better when I eat a half cup of organic cascade cereal before going to bed. I am not hungry when I get up and I sleep better. So nice that the bro science.blah, blah.. was busted! And my guilt to eat some cereal at night is gone as well. Thank you. those who have not read the article that was posted with the link need to go read. It is quite an eye opener..
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Just for context, I net around 18-1900 calories a day. I use the TDEE-20% (search the IPOARM thread) method for determining my calories and macros. I do 30-60 minutes of cardio 1-3x a week, but otherwise I sit a lot because I have a joint disorder that makes most exercises painful and being on my feet for long stretches worse. I am still breast-feeding my toddler, and I eat back the estimated 300 calories (and associated macros) expended in breast-milk each day, but not exercise calories unless I'm totally starving.

Pure & simple, I can't sleep if I'm at all hungry. Even if I'm completely exhausted, I will eat a small meal 4-500 calories before calling it a night, just whatever sounds good. If I'm NOT exhausted, it tends to be more of an 800-1000 calorie meal because I tend to eat lightly during the day. I'm just not all that hungry until the evening hours. Due to my schedule, I'm often eating dinner after 9pm, and I typically hit the hay by 10:30 or 11pm.

I'm down 25 pounds in six weeks (official weigh-in is tomorrow, but I snuck on the scale this morning!). Tough to argue with that.

ETA: Oh, and if you look at my diary, you'll note that I am not a "health nut" by ANY stretch of the imagination. Yes, I eat a lot of salad, but I also eat nuts by the half-cup, cheese, meat, dairy, salty snacks, cereal, and *legasp* chocolate. Most of them (including the chocolate) on a daily basis. I'm never faced with being hungry and out of calories. One day out of every day is "Hell With It Day", they're scheduled on my calendar, and on those days I eat anything I want and do not log until just before bedtime, and then only to prove that you CAN indulge and still lose weight at a reasonable pace. I don't eat myself sick or anything, but literally any food goes. My last Hell WIth It Day, my husband and I went to Joe's Crab Shack and the calorie counts were staggering, never mind the sodium. And yet, I still dropped a pound that week.

It still kinda blows my mind a little, but this is the most consistent success I've EVER had losing weight.
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I snack on cereal before bed ALL the time. Lots of times in bed ha. I'm steadily losing weight. Nothing wrong with eating before bed :)
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    "The anterior pituitary gland in the brain secretes growth hormone in several pulses, about 85 percent of which occur while you are sleeping. ... When you eat food containing carbohydrate, your blood glucose rises. ... high insulin levels will suppress the secretion of growth hormone."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/498071-how-eating-carbs-at-night-affects-the-growth-hormone/

Having just read the above, I checked to see if it was mentioned in this thread, and sure enough there it was!
    In addition, there is the problem of insulin spike (following a blood sugar surge from a heavy meal) suppressing human growth hormone (which is mainly secreted in the first couple of hours of sleep).

Certainly there must be at least a part of your body that some of you are concerned about now, say your fingernails haha.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    "The anterior pituitary gland in the brain secretes growth hormone in several pulses, about 85 percent of which occur while you are sleeping. ... When you eat food containing carbohydrate, your blood glucose rises. ... high insulin levels will suppress the secretion of growth hormone."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/498071-how-eating-carbs-at-night-affects-the-growth-hormone/

Having just read the above, I checked to see if it was mentioned in this thread, and sure enough there it was!
    In addition, there is the problem of insulin spike (following a blood sugar surge from a heavy meal) suppressing human growth hormone (which is mainly secreted in the first couple of hours of sleep).

Certainly there must be at least a part of your body that some of you are concerned about now, say your fingernails haha.
    Livestrong as a source?? You can't be serious!
  • magerum
    Options

Livestrong as a source?? You can't be serious!

8814459cbd7d97618b121aa8064180f4_zps86f5698a.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Tell me, what happens if HGH is suppressed, assuming it is?
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You're so nice! Certainly a youthful manner is not one of your, how should I put it, shortcomings, lol.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Sits back and watches the discussion as she thinks of the 1/3 bag of M&Ms and cake she had on 3 different occasions before bed last week and lost up to 2 lbs every single morning after. Hmm...

PS: you're all doctors, nutritionists and biologists, I assume? By the way you're all so convinced of what you're talking about?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    You're so nice! Certainly a youthful manner is not one of your, how should I put it, shortcomings, lol.

What is a youthful manner? :huh:

You don't need to be a Dr etc to be able to do research and read actual studies.
  • Tough2U
    Tough2U Posts: 1
    Options
    Keep this in mind...calories in verses what you have burned

Now if you don't like to actually diet...

Eat what you want between 12 noon and 6pm....do not go hungry but dont eat until you cannot breath either.
    However drink two cups of water before everything you eat

......water, tea, coffee no sugar drinks and water, wake up till 12 and 6pm till you go to sleep, Do not break these rules at all. Notice the weight will come off and stay off...

weigh yourself daily...

Now you be the judge...I think you will be really surprised