Tell me again why eating before bed won't make me fat?

Options

Replies

• cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I just did this. But here goes. To spell it out:

Consider this spreadsheet. It represents some fictional person who has a TDEE of 2120

The hour column represents the 24 hours in a day.

Hours 17 thru 24 are sleep, so he's burning only 65 cals per hour that hour. The rest of the hours he burns 100 cals per hour.

He has 3 meals over the course of the day for 500, 300, and 750 calories respectively/

You can see that over the course of the day, he at some points reaches a surplus, and at some points reaches a deficit.

DMjxo6x.png

On balance, he achieves a deficit of 570 calories for this day

I invite you to create a spreadsheet of your own and divvy up the meals however you like.

If you still don't get it after this overcomplicated explanation, then I'm sorry.

Edit: er, actually, the way I laid it out, he's in a deficit all day. But you get the point? No? Probably not? I don't care.

dude you got way too much time on your hands....LOL :)

LMAO
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Erm, because the subject was well and truly discussed and a conclusion reached by the end of page 2 (i.e. calories in, calories out, time of day does not matter). But we were all having such a lovely time chatting we decided to continue with the thread. I really don't know why this would upset you.

If the OP disagrees then we will stop, but I haven't heard that she does.

Nope. This has become far more entertaining than I had imagined. :smokin:

:flowerforyou:
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about a glass of milk or a small snack here. I'm talking to the people who believe that it doesn't matter when you eat your calories. I get that your body can't distinguish time and doesn't care when it gets food, but if a person eats during the hours he/she is up and moving then there is a greater immediate need for kcal and less is stored for later use. But if a person eats and then goes to sleep?

Let's say Bob's BMR is 1600/24hr. Basic math would say that Bob would burn 66.67 kcal/hr while sleeping. If Bob has a 6 hour sleep cycle, he would burn 400kcal during those 6 hours. Right?

If basic biochem holds true, when Bob eats, his body will use whatever kcal it needs to meet its immediate energy requirements and store the rest for later use. Yes?

Holding these first two statements to be true, if Bob eats 1200kcal of Ben and Jerry's while watching the Biggest Loser and then immediately goes to bed, how are the extra 800kcal used? Because if they're not used, they're stored. Right? And if only so many kcal go to replenish glycogen stores, what about the rest?

Discuss...

You're forgetting to account for what happens earlier in the day if Bob is eating his food at night.

Lets use an extreme example and eat all of our food before bed. Lets suppose we store some fat because we're not utilizing that energy.

During the day, Bob is not eating any food. He is oxidizing fat.

All that matters is the net difference between fat storage and fat oxidation. Given the same total calories, the more you eat at night the less you eat during the day. So fat oxidation is blunted at night and fat storage increases, but fat storage goes down during the day and fat oxidation increases.

The net difference is governed by energy balance.

Essentially this is why it really doesn't make a difference.

Interesting. Never thought of it like this. :flowerforyou:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Erm, because the subject was well and truly discussed and a conclusion reached by the end of page 2 (i.e. calories in, calories out, time of day does not matter). But we were all having such a lovely time chatting we decided to continue with the thread. I really don't know why this would upset you.

:drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You deserve a high five. Most of the time OPs get bent out of shape when people start joking around. Sometimes it is understandable, other times, not so much. It is a breath of fresh air for you to realize that nothing is directed at you personally and to have you come back and say you are enjoying the banter.

*hats off to you*.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

You deserve a high five. Most of the time OPs get bent out of shape when people start joking around. Sometimes it is understandable, other times, not so much. It is a breath of fresh air for you to realize that nothing is directed at you personally and to have you come back and say you are enjoying the banter.

*hats off to you*.

That was nice. :flowerforyou:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

*hats off to you*.

get a room
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't have any scientific qualifications but I don't usually have anything heavy to eat within about 2 hours of bedtime as I understand that the digestion is poorer if we are horizontal.

Also, when we go to sleep doesn't digestion slow down and become less efficient?

As far as the calories go, I don't think it makes any difference what time of day you eat your food, although in practice I like to keep it to about every 3 hours whilst I am awak.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

*hats off to you*.

get a room

And that was mean--but here's a flower for you anyway. :tongue: :flowerforyou:
  • rettigkl
    rettigkl Posts: 18
    Options
    Well I just think the body has to focus on digesting the food you eat before bed instead of releasing growth hormone and other hormones that are fantastic for fat burning and restoring our bodies while we sleep. I still eat before bed and its a bad thing I think. My opinion.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

*hats off to you*.

^^^ This! :drinker:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I don't have any scientific qualifications but I don't usually have anything heavy to eat within about 2 hours of bedtime as I understand that the digestion is poorer if we are horizontal.

Also, when we go to sleep doesn't digestion slow down and become less efficient?

As far as the calories go, I don't think it makes any difference what time of day you eat your food, although in practice I like to keep it to about every 3 hours whilst I am awak.

Peristalsis does slow down overnight but it does not affect calorie burn. Some people might be less comfortable eating at night as a result (or if they have other digestive issues) but for the majority of people eating before bed causes few problems.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

*hats off to you*.

^^^ This! :drinker:

I love competitive discussions!
  • karenhray7
    Options
    Solution: eat ice cream for breakfast

What? No poptarts? Wasn't there another thread that clearly established the health benefits of poptart and ice cream sandwiches? C'mon people, keep up with the science! :devil:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

*hats off to you*.

get a room

And that was mean--but here's a flower for you anyway. :tongue: :flowerforyou:

Flowers for everyone!

Romantic-sloth-gives-flower_zps141ed76c.gif
  • karenhray7
    Options

:flowerforyou:

Awe, thanks:blushing:
  • karenhray7
    Options
    If you dream about running, you will actually lose weight in your sleep. True story.

Will I lose less if I walk? What about jogging?
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have read articles by several doctors who state that it is the number of calories you consume during the day that determines your weight loss or gain. if you calories are in line and you eat at night your metabolism will absorb the calories. If you ate too much during the day and eat before bed then you will gain.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I do live by Jillian Micheals rules. She says NO food after 9 and no CARBS after 7. Your body will simply turn it into fat. Even sugary food. Her thing is to eat yogurt if you neeed a snack-greek low fat of course. It works! If I am watching Hell's Kitchen and have nothing to eat I get so pissed, so I eat yogurt or carrot/celery with hummus. Then I dont feel deprived. And no booze before bed. She has it down for 2 drinks a WEEK. And beer or a lowfat vodka drink. I suggest bubblegum vodka with club soda. Lowfat, tastes great and a nice mellow buzz. Does that kinda help? lol:smile:

What about the 17-22g of sugar you're consuming in most (Chobani, Oikos, etc.) low fat Greek yogurts? That's pure carbs. No alcohol has fat it in, so not sure what you're talking about there.
  • Biodemon
    Biodemon Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    yes it is don't eat after u go bed I have done that let me tell you I pay for it the next day I see 1 to 2 lbs weight gain no good
    I'm sure common sense would help you distinguish the differences between gaining actual fat...and gaining weight because food does have mass (unless its composed of air?). If you have a 1-2 lb weightgain, that's because your body hasn't finished digesting it.