A Calorie is a Caloire is a...... let's compare...

Ok, My friend and I were discussing this at an event we both were at. My friend brought a steak egg and cheese burrito from a local taco shop, and I brought almonds and raisins.
So he made the statement that his breakfast had way less calories than mine, and I'm sure it did, so were were discussing quality of Calories. he maintains that a calorie is a calorie.. (he's a former BB competitor and trainer and genetic freak, he sits at probably %12 BF on a Jack in the box as a diet, and he's 40 I hate him.) but I digress...

So I decided to put together two scenarios... lets say this is a mid meal, or breakfast whatever.. which would you rather eat, and why??

Option 1.
4 oz Baked Salmon, 3/4 cup Seeds of Change Organic Quinoa and Brown Rice, 1.6 oz of Raw Almonds

Calories: 675, Carbs: 44, Fat: 38, Protein: 39

Option 2.
Filiberto's Steak Egg and Cheese Burrito (for the record, you have to try one of these Alberto's, Roberto's, Alibertos, some kinda berto's ... all the same)

Calories: 660, Carbs, 44, Fat: 36, Protein: 40

Opinions?

Replies

• Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    I'd take the burrito, lol. It sounds yummy, and I'm not into quinoa. IIFYM's :flowerforyou: why not?
  • medeamama
    medeamama Posts: 47 Member
    I think I would be fuller longer from the first meal because it is more food.
    ...but the burrito does sound good!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    I'd eat the burrito all day long. I'd probably regret the gas later, though-- and so would my husband.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Could he be the exception that proves the rule?

I have never heard a BB or PT or Athlete recommend this
  • I'd go for option 1 for the life style change I'm trying to make it looks and sounds healthier :flowerforyou:
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    That burrito is most likely loaded with sodium ...but I'll take it!!
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    LifeJacketWaterJogger Posts: 231 Member
    I WOULD EAT THE SALMON MEAL, IT'S JUST BETTER QUALITY FOODS. AND MY STOMACH WOULD HURT ON THE BURRITO..
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    from a standpoint of weight loss or gain, and filling your macros for the day, they're equal.

I'd eat either.

From a standpoint of trying to eat clean or getting micros and vitamins and stuff, you'd probably be better off going with the first, or just eat the burrito, a multi, and some fish oil and call it a day, then they'd be equal again!
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    first one, healthy fats, much better food. it is a calorie, but it matters what type of nutritious foods you are consuming. sure you can live off junk food and still loose weight but then think about the malnutrition your body would have..even if you ate the exact calories you needed for the day.

its about the nutrition and what is in the meal you are eating that will benefit your body.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Burrito all the way. Quinoa and Salmon, blech!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I probably couldn't have either due to my lame food sensitivities! But the idea of the burrito appeals to me more than baked salmon and quinoa with brown rice.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    I don't like burritos so I take option 1. I love salmon and quinoa.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    first one, healthy fats, much better food. it is a calorie, but it matters what type of nutritious foods you are consuming. sure you can live off junk food and still loose weight but then think about the malnutrition your body would have..even if you ate the exact calories you needed for the day.

its about the nutrition and what is in the meal you are eating that will benefit your body.
    So steak, eggs, and cheese, not to forget a tortilla, are unhealthful foods? Srsly?
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    The burrito!
  • itsjilly
    itsjilly Posts: 40
    Option 1 for sure.

I want to eat cleaner and know what is in the food I am putting into my body.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    I'd take the burrito it sounds delicious :bigsmile:

Plus steak and eggs are very good nutritionally.
  • I think you're on to something, I was just looking at my weekly consumption with a similar thought. You showed the similarity between Carbs, Protein, Fat, but there are other important pieces too, as someone pointed out the Sodium difference...cholesterol, and the sugar variance would be valuable to compare along with the breakdown of the type of fat (poly, mono etc).

While on any given day any one of us would take the burrito hands down, I have to believe that if the goal is a strong and healthy body, it is not in the same league as the salmon.

Good post.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member

So steak, eggs, and cheese, not to forget a tortilla, are unhealthful foods? Srsly?

depends how its made, depends if you use sunflower oil vs olive oil, the nutrition benefits in nr.1 outweigh nr2.
    is the tortilla white? or whole grain? and american cheese or some other type of cheese?
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    All things being equal calorie/carb/fat, etc. in "numbers"...it doesn't take into account the type of fat and other nutrients or, as another person commented, the sodium content. So you could eat either unless you were concerned about things besides calories, etc. Personally, I like salmon, so that would be my choice.
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    I'd go for option 1. I'm not keen on buying fast food steak (which I'm assuming the burrito came from a fast food place). I don't like the processed taste of it. Also, I love salmon.....a lot :)