A Calorie is a Caloire is a...... let's compare...

Options

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Option 1 for sure.

I want to eat cleaner and know what is in the food I am putting into my body.

YES my choice and my reason. But the burrito if I made it at home could be an option also...lol
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i'm not a nutritionist and don't have that information off the top of my head - also, i don't have an ingredient list or nutrition facts for both meals... so it's kind of difficult to compare. get me the info and i'll tell you what i think about it as specifically as i can.

Great. I look forward to it.

dude here's the deal YOU told me yourself you're tired, lethargic, feeling old - and you eat nothing but processed foods.

that ALONE is evidence that I'm right. for some reason you're just buying into the fact that it's "normal" to feel that way as you age.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    You had me at Filibertos.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    huh? we're not talking about a particular health effect caused by either meal in a vacuum. simply that meal one is MORE nutritious than meal 2. Of course one meal in a vacuum won't make much of a difference to your overall health, but it all comes down to how consistently you make "good" or "bad" choices. (read: nutritious or less nutritious)

make more of the less nutritious choices, and you'll suffer the consequences whether those choices fit your calorie intake or not.

let me put it this way - at 26 I have more energy than I did when I was 16 and falling asleep in school, even though I've now got 8 thousand more things on my plate. people think getting sluggish and tired as you get older is just a "fact of life" - but it isn't. It's all based on what you put in your body as fuel. I know I'm still young, but it's my goal not to give in to the conventional wisdom that says you have to slow down as you age. Color me idealistic if you want, I'll gladly wear that label.

It's only "more nutritious" when you define nutrition to include vague statements or extrapolate the one food to all other food the person eats.

You say "you'll suffer the consequences" but you can't actually point to anything specifically about either food that will cause any particular consequences.

And the body does slow down as you get older. There's a reason that pro athletes peak and then decline, invariably, with age (unless you want to talk about much less physical sports or positions like golf, pitcher, etc). At 26 you're in your absolute prime. In 10 years your reactions will be slower, you will heal more slowly, you will be more prone to injury, etc. That is a fact of life. No matter what you eat that will happen.

Not just because I'm a Beachbody fanboy, but explain Tony Horton to me then, who kicks the pants off the 26 year olds he competes against. He's able to outperform the "kids" who work for Beachbody in just about every area of fitness. They do live chats and such, and in one of them he had some of the younger employees come up with challenges for him to do like pullups with an 80lb dumbbell between his feet. etc - he beat every one of the guys. he lost to a girl who could do more pistol squats. he's 54 years old

Genetics. It isn't diet. Tons of gifted athletes eat like kids whose parents are on vacation.

so why does HE feel it's diet? he was a fat kid.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Burrito, I don't like fish.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    huh? we're not talking about a particular health effect caused by either meal in a vacuum. simply that meal one is MORE nutritious than meal 2. Of course one meal in a vacuum won't make much of a difference to your overall health, but it all comes down to how consistently you make "good" or "bad" choices. (read: nutritious or less nutritious)

make more of the less nutritious choices, and you'll suffer the consequences whether those choices fit your calorie intake or not.

let me put it this way - at 26 I have more energy than I did when I was 16 and falling asleep in school, even though I've now got 8 thousand more things on my plate. people think getting sluggish and tired as you get older is just a "fact of life" - but it isn't. It's all based on what you put in your body as fuel. I know I'm still young, but it's my goal not to give in to the conventional wisdom that says you have to slow down as you age. Color me idealistic if you want, I'll gladly wear that label.

It's only "more nutritious" when you define nutrition to include vague statements or extrapolate the one food to all other food the person eats.

You say "you'll suffer the consequences" but you can't actually point to anything specifically about either food that will cause any particular consequences.

And the body does slow down as you get older. There's a reason that pro athletes peak and then decline, invariably, with age (unless you want to talk about much less physical sports or positions like golf, pitcher, etc). At 26 you're in your absolute prime. In 10 years your reactions will be slower, you will heal more slowly, you will be more prone to injury, etc. That is a fact of life. No matter what you eat that will happen.

Not just because I'm a Beachbody fanboy, but explain Tony Horton to me then, who kicks the pants off the 26 year olds he competes against. He's able to outperform the "kids" who work for Beachbody in just about every area of fitness. They do live chats and such, and in one of them he had some of the younger employees come up with challenges for him to do like pullups with an 80lb dumbbell between his feet. etc - he beat every one of the guys. he lost to a girl who could do more pistol squats. he's 54 years old

Genetics. It isn't diet. Tons of gifted athletes eat like kids whose parents are on vacation.

Because he went from being fat and untrained, and then when he started eating better and training it turned out he's an elite athlete? Personal experience in these matters really means nothing at all.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

absolutely the most shocking thing i've read all morning :tongue:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Because he went from being fat and untrained, and then when he started eating better and training it turned out he's an elite athlete? Personal experience in these matters really means nothing at all.

so his athleticism is "genetics" but being overweight when he was younger isn't genetics.... got it.

how do any of us KNOW what he is and isn't genetically pre-disposed to?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    from a standpoint of weight loss or gain, and filling your macros for the day, they're equal.

I'd eat either.

From a standpoint of trying to eat clean or getting micros and vitamins and stuff, you'd probably be better off going with the first, or just eat the burrito, a multi, and some fish oil and call it a day, then they'd be equal again!

^^^^ this

if it's a one off meal, it really does not matter. Go for the one you'll enjoy the most.

If you're talking about what you eat day in day out, then yes you need to pay attention to micronutrients and the quality of the fats and carbs. Once your body's getting the nutrition it needs and you're hitting your macros, really you can eat what you like so long as it fits in your macros. And even the occasional meal that doesn't fit your macros....
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

absolutely the most shocking thing i've read all morning :tongue:

Just trying to help! :drinker:
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    actually there was nutrition professor who proved that to his students, using twinkies and junk food. He stayed within his calorie range and did his normal exercise routine.. dropped 27 pounds....
    may i know how his lipid profile and gut health was featuring!
    weight loss is a part of healthy living goals but not all, people with family history of dyslipidaemia, MI and hypertension should think twice before doing this things, don't know why , last few days there have been quite a few threads that push junk food lifestyle(iifym style). personally think it is a little irresponsible post because there is everyday some new people, coming here hoping to learn a better way to nourish there body,some of them are in a bad way because of this fast food lifestyle. people who have lost there weight and maintaining successfully or people who never had problem with overeating and here just for a vanity loss of 2-5 lbs should not do this to people in vulnerable situation

(waiting for knuckle rap:frown: )
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

Genetics? It's anecdotal. I kick the **** out of people half my age too. Just the other day I did a 40" standing box jump. How many 49 year old 5' 7" dudes do you now can do that? And eat some "processed" foods to boot?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Genetics? It's anecdotal. I kick the **** out of people half my age too. Just the other day I did a 40" standing box jump. How many 49 year old 5' 7" dudes do you now can do that? And eat some "processed" foods to boot?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

absolutely. **** i had another pop tart this morning! (i mean i bought the box, i'm not gonna let them go to waste) but is your diet *primarily* processed? do you eat more processed foods than unprocessed?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    actually there was nutrition professor who proved that to his students, using twinkies and junk food. He stayed within his calorie range and did his normal exercise routine.. dropped 27 pounds....

read the thread.
  • blacklaceroses
    blacklaceroses Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    hummmm my new saying "I don't discuss religion, politics or diets." haha................................................:wink:
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie just as a pound is a pound, Would you rather have a pound of feathers or pound of gold?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    weight loss is a part of healthy living goals but not all, people with family history of dyslipidaemia, MI and hypertension should think twice before doing this things, don't know why , last few days there have been quite a few threads that push junk food lifestyle(iifym style). personally think it is a little irresponsible post because there is everyday some new people, coming here hoping to learn a better way to nourish there body,some of them are in a bad way because of this fast food lifestyle. people who have lost there weight and maintaining successfully or people who never had problem with overeating and here just for a vanity loss of 2-5 lbs should not do this to people in vulnerable situation

You are welcome to your opinion.

I'm of the opinion that there are even more people who may be new to this site who would benefit a great deal by letting go of their misconceptions and fears about junk food by realizing that they can actually eat some of it provided they are able to maintain the appropriate nutrients and total caloric intake of their diets.

There are so many people that demonize specific foods or believe that entire categories of foods are taboo and must be abstained from in order to be healthy. This all-or-nothing kind of thinking certainly doesn't seem to lend itself to long term adherence. And poor adherence = dieting failure. (As an aside, it also doesn't strike me as a good path to mental health).

Now certainly your opinion has merit. I do not believe that it's black-and-white and some people may have to temporarily abstain from junk food all together for mental reasons (lack of self control/etc).
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile becoming deficient in probably all of his micro nutrients. Many people are overfed or adequately fed and still starving; he is a perfect example of that.
    But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

"That's where the head scratching comes," Haub said. "What does that mean? Does that mean I'm healthier? Or does it mean how we define health from a biology standpoint, that we're missing something?"
    Despite his temporary success, Haub does not recommend replicating his snack-centric diet.

"I'm not geared to say this is a good thing to do," he said. "I'm stuck in the middle. I guess that's the frustrating part. I can't give a concrete answer. There's not enough information to do that."

Two-thirds of his total intake came from junk food. He also took a multivitamin pill and drank a protein shake daily. And he ate vegetables, typically a can of green beans or three to four celery stalks.

So he ate a bit of veg and had vitamins 'artificially'.
    All the evidence we have points to his body being healthier than he was before.

his blood work got better because he LOST fat . if he continued eating like that it wouldn't help his case nutritionally.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options

You are welcome to your opinion.

I'm of the opinion that there are even more people who may be new to this site who would benefit a great deal by letting go of their misconceptions and fears about junk food by realizing that they can actually eat some of it provided they are able to maintain the appropriate nutrients and total caloric intake of their diets.

There are so many people that demonize specific foods or believe that entire categories of foods are taboo and must be abstained from in order to be healthy. This all-or-nothing kind of thinking certainly doesn't seem to lend itself to long term adherence. And poor adherence = dieting failure. (As an aside, it also doesn't strike me as a good path to mental health).

Now certainly your opinion has merit. I do not believe that it's black-and-white and some people may have to temporarily abstain from junk food all together for mental reasons (lack of self control/etc).
    actually while posting this threads no body add words like occasional or moderation! gives a skewed impression to people who were before now eating fastfoods for all there meals and now finding it a little laborious to make there own meal or making consistently good choices!this types of posts make all their extra effort look like rubbish.i am not for provoking fast-food-phobia,but i'm against making all food of similar macro values looking same.
  • jodigirl03
    jodigirl03 Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm a total heath nut BUT, in my younger years ....
    I've lost weight on junk and I've gained weight eating clean AND vice versa so I'm just going to say it depends on how much you want to eat.

Eat junk = tiny bits of food; heart clogging saturated fats & chemically processed food for the whole day that may potentially lead to unnecessary surgeries later in life. OR ...
    Eat healthy = eat more food & more often and stay fall longer while fueling your body with nutrient rich options for your skin, eyes, brain, heart, liver, kidneys, stomach and cholesterol.

Option 1) you're wasting your time losing it in the first place because you WILL gain it back. You haven't changed your habits!
    Option 2) you're developing healthier eating habits, demolishing cravings for better mind, body & energy. (Bonus: glowing skin, less cellulite, more energy, less fat, more muscle.)

I'd go with option 2 any day over option 1. I'm terrified to drink tap water, eat processed food or non organic veggies & meat. I eat for longevity. I'm not 20 anymore.
    But yes you can lose weight either way.
    I chose to live long & look 20 at 40.

As for this "FRIEND" he's an ex body builder, do NOT compare yourself to him. He's done the work to get there and due to his high volume of muscle, his metabolism can handle those type of meals. But he too will eventual pay the price we're all going to pay for abusing our bodies.
    Mark my words ... ONE DAY!