A Calorie is a Caloire is a...... let's compare...

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    huh? we're not talking about a particular health effect caused by either meal in a vacuum. simply that meal one is MORE nutritious than meal 2. Of course one meal in a vacuum won't make much of a difference to your overall health, but it all comes down to how consistently you make "good" or "bad" choices. (read: nutritious or less nutritious)

make more of the less nutritious choices, and you'll suffer the consequences whether those choices fit your calorie intake or not.

let me put it this way - at 26 I have more energy than I did when I was 16 and falling asleep in school, even though I've now got 8 thousand more things on my plate. people think getting sluggish and tired as you get older is just a "fact of life" - but it isn't. It's all based on what you put in your body as fuel. I know I'm still young, but it's my goal not to give in to the conventional wisdom that says you have to slow down as you age. Color me idealistic if you want, I'll gladly wear that label.

It's only "more nutritious" when you define nutrition to include vague statements or extrapolate the one food to all other food the person eats.

You say "you'll suffer the consequences" but you can't actually point to anything specifically about either food that will cause any particular consequences.

And the body does slow down as you get older. There's a reason that pro athletes peak and then decline, invariably, with age (unless you want to talk about much less physical sports or positions like golf, pitcher, etc). At 26 you're in your absolute prime. In 10 years your reactions will be slower, you will heal more slowly, you will be more prone to injury, etc. That is a fact of life. No matter what you eat that will happen.

Not just because I'm a Beachbody fanboy, but explain Tony Horton to me then, who kicks the pants off the 26 year olds he competes against. He's able to outperform the "kids" who work for Beachbody in just about every area of fitness. They do live chats and such, and in one of them he had some of the younger employees come up with challenges for him to do like pullups with an 80lb dumbbell between his feet. etc - he beat every one of the guys. he lost to a girl who could do more pistol squats. he's 54 years old
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    huh? we're not talking about a particular health effect caused by either meal in a vacuum. simply that meal one is MORE nutritious than meal 2. Of course one meal in a vacuum won't make much of a difference to your overall health, but it all comes down to how consistently you make "good" or "bad" choices. (read: nutritious or less nutritious)

make more of the less nutritious choices, and you'll suffer the consequences whether those choices fit your calorie intake or not.

let me put it this way - at 26 I have more energy than I did when I was 16 and falling asleep in school, even though I've now got 8 thousand more things on my plate. people think getting sluggish and tired as you get older is just a "fact of life" - but it isn't. It's all based on what you put in your body as fuel. I know I'm still young, but it's my goal not to give in to the conventional wisdom that says you have to slow down as you age. Color me idealistic if you want, I'll gladly wear that label.

It's only "more nutritious" when you define nutrition to include vague statements or extrapolate the one food to all other food the person eats.

You say "you'll suffer the consequences" but you can't actually point to anything specifically about either food that will cause any particular consequences.

And the body does slow down as you get older. There's a reason that pro athletes peak and then decline, invariably, with age (unless you want to talk about much less physical sports or positions like golf, pitcher, etc). At 26 you're in your absolute prime. In 10 years your reactions will be slower, you will heal more slowly, you will be more prone to injury, etc. That is a fact of life. No matter what you eat that will happen.

Not just because I'm a Beachbody fanboy, but explain Tony Horton to me then, who kicks the pants off the 26 year olds he competes against. He's able to outperform the "kids" who work for Beachbody in just about every area of fitness. They do live chats and such, and in one of them he had some of the younger employees come up with challenges for him to do like pullups with an 80lb dumbbell between his feet. etc - he beat every one of the guys. he lost to a girl who could do more pistol squats. he's 54 years old

Ray Lewis can outperform 99% of college football players. That's completely irrelevant. A 40 year old world-class athlete will still be better than virtually everyone else on the planet at his sport, but he's still inferior to his 26 year old self (assuming he was as well trained at 26 as he is at 40).

This is completely irrelevant. You're implying that eating the burrito instead of the salmon leads to lower physical performance. That claim is nonsense and not supported by any evidence whatsoever.
  • CoachReddy

Ray Lewis can outperform 99% of college football players. That's completely irrelevant. A 40 year old world-class athlete will still be better than virtually everyone else on the planet at his sport, but he's still inferior to his 26 year old self (assuming he was as well trained at 26 as he is at 40).

This is completely irrelevant. You're implying that eating the burrito instead of the salmon leads to lower physical performance. That claim is nonsense and not supported by any evidence whatsoever.

nowhere did i say that. i said making things like the burrito a habit and eating more foods that are less nutritious over time will cause decline in all areas of fitness/health. in fact, i specifically said that this one meal in a vacuum would have no effect on health. c'mon - at least read what I'm writing.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Bump to read later
  • jonnythan

i said making things like the burrito a habit and eating more foods that are less nutritious over time will cause decline in all areas of fitness/health.

You can say that, but you haven't provided any sort of evidence for the claim. It's more of a religious belief than anything else.
  • NikinCilla
    NikinCilla Posts: 129 Member
    I would have option 1 it would sustain me longer & love salmon but I havent had a real burrito since 99 last time I was in the states.....yummy hehe
  • CoachReddy

i said making things like the burrito a habit and eating more foods that are less nutritious over time will cause decline in all areas of fitness/health.

You can say that, but you haven't provided any sort of evidence for the claim. It's more of a religious belief than anything else.

you don't think that eating less nutritious foods more often makes someone less nourished than someone who eats highly nutritious food more often?

reeeally?
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    I would chose the first meal any day over the second. I am sorry but I do not believe a calorie is a calorie. I believe yes it might be a calorie but one is healthy and one is not, one has more fat and one does not, so therefore I do not believe a calorie is a calorie! JMO!
  • jonnythan

you don't think that eating less nutritious foods more often makes someone less nourished than someone who eats highly nutritious food more often?

reeeally?

Weasel words: nutritious, nourished

Those words have no real meaning. Tell us specifically what nutrients you're talking about, and then tell us how more or less of those nutrients will lead to specific declines in fitness and health.
  • jonnythan
    I would chose the first meal any day over the second. I am sorry but I do not believe a calorie is a calorie. I believe yes it might be a calorie but one is healthy and one is not, one has more fat and one does not, so therefore I do not believe a calorie is a calorie! JMO!

You really think that extra 2 grams of fat will somehow be less healthy...?
  • CoachReddy

reeeally?

Those words have no real meaning. Tell us specifically what nutrients you're talking about, and then tell us how more or less of those nutrients will lead to specific declines in fitness and health.

aw come on man, we can disagree without the name calling right?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,137 Member

reeeally?

Meal 1 is out, too many omega 6's. :wink:
  • jonnythan

reeeally?

I didn't call anyone any names. "Weasel words" is a valid way to describe your use of the words nutritious and nutrition here:

"A weasel word (also, anonymous authority) may be an informal term[1] for equivocating words and phrases aimed at creating an impression that something specific and meaningful has been said, when in fact only a vague or ambiguous claim, or even a refutation has been communicated."

I'm criticizing your words, not you.

Now, again. Tell us specifically what nutrients you're talking about, and then tell us how more or less of those nutrients will lead to specific declines in fitness and health.
  • CoachReddy

reeeally?

Meal 1 is out, too many omega 6's. :wink:

........ salmon....... is all i have to say to that......
  • CoachReddy

reeeally?

I didn't call anyone any names. "Weasel words" is a valid way to describe your use of the words nutritious and nutrition here:

"A weasel word (also, anonymous authority) may be an informal term[1] for equivocating words and phrases aimed at creating an impression that something specific and meaningful has been said, when in fact only a vague or ambiguous claim, or even a refutation has been communicated."

I'm criticizing your words, not you.

Now, again. Tell us specifically what nutrients you're talking about, and then tell us how more or less of those nutrients will lead to specific declines in fitness and health.

i'm not a nutritionist and don't have that information off the top of my head - also, i don't have an ingredient list or nutrition facts for both meals... so it's kind of difficult to compare. get me the info and i'll tell you what i think about it as specifically as i can.

however, if you're consistently not meeting micronutrient levels (of the non-fortified variety) you may run into issues. it's tough to be specific unless we know what vitamins/minerals/etc are involved.
  • jonnythan
    i'm not a nutritionist and don't have that information off the top of my head - also, i don't have an ingredient list or nutrition facts for both meals... so it's kind of difficult to compare. get me the info and i'll tell you what i think about it as specifically as i can.

Great. I look forward to it.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member

You really think that extra 2 grams of fat will somehow be less healthy...?

Not just that, everything in the whole! Not getting into a discussion with you stating my opinion and moving on!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member

Genetics. It isn't diet. Tons of gifted athletes eat like kids whose parents are on vacation.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Could he be the exception that proves the rule?

I have never heard a BB or PT or Athlete recommend this
    You are right but this man may eat this once a year...we dont know the whole story. He probably eats well when he is training but has less healthy meals at times..he is human.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Option 1 for sure.

I want to eat cleaner and know what is in the food I am putting into my body.

YES my choice and my reason. But the burrito if I made it at home could be an option also...lol