A Calorie is a Caloire is a...... let's compare...

Replies

• mmyers1129
    mmyers1129 Posts: 67 Member
    All calories are not equal by any means
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    Well, a calorie is just a measure of energy, nothing more, so in that context a calorie is just a calorie and not to be confused with food preferences where their matrix is composed of different nutrients, which can have advantages or disadvantages for individuals and their goals based on context and dosage. Either meal could be beneficial depending on what else that person ate on any given day.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Burrito sounds lovely but it is the quality that would make me take the first choice. While caloric intake might be virtually the same ( and many foods are) the fats are not the same one is beneficial the other type is not.. just my take on it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    A calorie is a unit of heat. Everyone is comparing stuff that are not calories.
    From Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_of_energy
    Food industry

The calorie equals the amount of thermal energy necessary to raise the temperature of one gram of water by 1 Celsius degree, at a pressure of 1 atm. For thermochemistry a calorie of 4.184 J is used, but other calories have also been defined, such as the International Steam Table calorie of 4.1868 J. Food energy is measured in large calories or kilocalories, often simply written capitalized as "Calories" (= 103 calories).

I'd eat the burrito, between two pop tarts.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    actually there was nutrition professor who proved that to his students, using twinkies and junk food. He stayed within his calorie range and did his normal exercise routine.. dropped 27 pounds....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Well, a calorie is just a measure of energy, nothing more, so in that context a calorie is just a calorie and not to be confused with food preferences where their matrix is composed of different nutrients, which can have advantages or disadvantages for individuals and their goals based on context and dosage. Either meal could be beneficial depending on what else that person ate on any given day.
    THIS.
    When people disagree with "a calorie is just a calorie" they are disagreeing on macronutrient content. A calorie is just a calorie. The measurement of energy is the same within everyone and one calorie of protein is equal to one calorie of carbs is equal to one calorie of fat.
    On a macronutrient/micronutrient level is where they differ and react in the body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    normally I would go option 1..

but if it was after a day sitting on the beach or if I was nursing a hangover I would go with the burrito...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    No brainer! Steak and egg burrito wins by a landslide!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    actually there was nutrition professor who proved that to his students, using twinkies and junk food. He stayed within his calorie range and did his normal exercise routine.. dropped 27 pounds....

Meanwhile becoming deficient in probably all of his micro nutrients. Many people are overfed or adequately fed and still starving; he is a perfect example of that.
  • Dragon67
    Dragon67 Posts: 123 Member
    Burrito all the way. Quinoa and Salmon, blech!

"this"
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    I'd eat either. They both sound like my kind of food.

One substantive comment, though: nutrients from almonds are not as bioavailable as nutrients from other fat- and protein-rich foods, possibly because of all the fiber in the almonds. So 160/170 calories of almonds may be less calories than 170 calories of, say, cheese. I gladly scarf down both almonds and cheese, though.
  • ninerbuff

Meanwhile becoming deficient in probably all of his micro nutrients. Many people are overfed or adequately fed and still starving; he is a perfect example of that.
    But that's not the debate if the argument is a "calorie is a calorie".

IDEA Fitness member
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member

IDEA Fitness member

Is an inch and inch? It's the same thing, the between the lines argument is that all calories are the same as long as you eat xx number of them, which they are NOT. The debate has context.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    I'd probably take the first because I'd be worried about the sodium in the second. However, IIFYM as far as I'm concerned. If I felt like junk food that day, I'd rock that junk food.
  • ninerbuff

IDEA Fitness member

Is an inch and inch? It's the same thing, the between the lines argument is that all calories are the same as long as you eat xx number of them, which they are NOT. The debate has context.
    All CALORIES are the same in energy value whether they come from a burrito or salmon if the calorie count is the same. 200 calories of sugar is EXACTLY the same as 200 calories of steak when you measure them in CALORIE value. You're debating on "how" they are processed. That's a different debate.

IDEA Fitness member
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member

IDEA Fitness member

Your argument is "not all calories are created equal", which is correct and gets confused it appears most of the time, with the "calorie is a calorie" debate..the confusion will continue forever no doubt..
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Neither.. they both have cereal grains.

Give me a poached egg, some salmon, asparagus and a wee bit of hollandaise. YUMMMMMMMMMM!

I believe that when it comes to strictly weight loss and creating a caloric deficit.. a calorie, is a calorie, is a calorie.

BUT.. when it comes to things like the psychological aspect, food triggers, general nutrition, satiety, muscle maintenance, etc.. then all calories are not equal. I would definitely gain weight eating a diet high cereal grains, even whole grains, not because they are "different calories" but because I couldn't stick with my caloric maximums and I would overeat for what my body required... I'm pretty sure that's how I made it to 360 pounds! Also nutritionally is 100 grams of kale equal to half a tablespoon of hydrogenated vegetable oil? I mean they have the same calories.. but of course they're not at all equal when it comes to fueling your body. many people on here are just concerned with losing weight and don't care about this and yes, they'll lose no matter their source of calories.. many more people on here are just concerned with "meeting their macros" which will help with their body composition. For me I'm most concerned with meeting my macro AND EXCEEDING my micronutrient goals.

Also there ARE those people who are genetic freaks. I'm a genetic freak myself.. Despite being hypothyroid and having no gallbladder, my cholesterol levels are freakishly low but with good HDL:LDL ratios... even at my highest weight. I've had more than one doctor second guess my cholesterol levels as seemingly impossibly low. Last time I had them checked (about a week ago) All of my cholesterol levels came back in red.. meaning they were outside of the norm.. All were lower than normal range. I don't do anything special to cause this other than eat a lot of vegetables and try to take it easy on the refined foods.. I eat tons of eggs and shrimp and high cholesterol foods .. My body simply doesn't produce a lot of cholesterol, and it gets rid of the cholesterol that I eat. You couldn't look to me as an example of how to have low cholesterol just like you can't look to your friend as an example of how to maintain low bodyfat. We are both outside of the norms, blessed with a genetic predisposition.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    I'd have to calorie that salmon up with buttter and seasonings just because fish isnt my favorite.

Just for grins can you post the fiber content of each meal and the general weight of the burrito?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

IDEA Fitness member

Yes, an inch is an inch and a gallon is a gallon, and pound is a pound, and a kilowatt is a kilowatt, and a calorie is a calorie. This is what we call "standardized units of measurement." :flowerforyou:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Ok, My friend and I were discussing this at an event we both were at. My friend brought a steak egg and cheese burrito from a local taco shop, and I brought almonds and raisins.
    So he made the statement that his breakfast had way less calories than mine, and I'm sure it did, so were were discussing quality of Calories. he maintains that a calorie is a calorie.. (he's a former BB competitor and trainer and genetic freak, he sits at probably %12 BF on a Jack in the box as a diet, and he's 40 I hate him.) but I digress...

So I decided to put together two scenarios... lets say this is a mid meal, or breakfast whatever.. which would you rather eat, and why??

Option 1.
    4 oz Baked Salmon, 3/4 cup Seeds of Change Organic Quinoa and Brown Rice, 1.6 oz of Raw Almonds

Calories: 675, Carbs: 44, Fat: 38, Protein: 39

Option 2.
    Filiberto's Steak Egg and Cheese Burrito (for the record, you have to try one of these Alberto's, Roberto's, Alibertos, some kinda berto's ... all the same)

Calories: 660, Carbs, 44, Fat: 36, Protein: 40

Opinions?

a calorie is not a calorie.

#1 has FAR more NUTRIENTS than #2

anyone who says otherwise is simply fooling themselves

CAVEAT: for weight loss purposes, a calorie is a calorie. For health purposes, this is no longer the case.