What's your love story?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Met my husband when I was 17 he was 18, I was looking for a job saw an article in the paper for waitress started straight away my husband was also working there as a barman we bumped into each other and it was definitely love at first sight!! He would come to the restaurant on his day off to see me and to build up his courage to ask me on a date, I said yes straight away. 17 years later we happily married with a little boy and my husband is still and will always be the love of my life :)))

Aw... :flowerforyou:
  • goldenboy2532
    Options
    Nice Try, Nicholas Sparks!
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I met my Husband at work (in a call centre), he started his job a few months after me and ended up being my manager, we would send each other messages and he asked me out on a date. When work found out we were dating they thought it was just an office fling and they fired him, then started trying to find any excuse to get rid of me. He got compensated for unfair dismissal and 4 years later we are happily married with a 2 year old son :)
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have a love story, lol....Maybe when I went to visit my Aunt's house and my lovely cousin was there it was love at first sight but nothing really happened, lol. We only went to the park with their family and enjoyed our time but I certainly (Secretly ) love him.

But I dont really have a love story
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    He sat near me in a class in college. I'm terrible with names, and even though it was obvious he was interested and I was as well, I felt terrible about the fact that I kept forgetting his name during small talk over the first few classes. I told him how bad I felt about it and he told me a joke to make me feel better. The next class, he asked, "what's my name." I froze and told him the punchline of his joke. As soon as he laughed, I remembered his name and blurted that out with a "SORRY!" which only made him laugh more. He then asked me to grab lunch with him at the cafeteria on campus. We chatted for 7 hours straight in that cafeteria. Didn't realize it was so long at first, but then we noticed the staff clearing tables of dinner food! Neither of us are big talkers usually, so it was a shock that we'd had that much easy conversation in one go. We started dating after that. I was 19 at the time.

He had a co-op during college and then graduated before me (he was couple years older), so we managed a "long distance" (3 hours away) relationship successfully for a while until I too graduated. After college, I made the choice to "follow" him instead of seeking a job closer to my family. We moved in together then--much to my parent's chagrin (I'm an only child and my hubby is of a different religion). And he asked me to marry him a couple years later. We're now approaching our 1st year anniversary, have a house together that we are fixing up. We'll aim for kids in the next couple years. Ironically, my relationship with my mom is healthier now that it ever was before. :) My folks understand the fit now.

We've been a couple for 8 years. Before him, my longest relationship was 2 months and his was about the same.

BTW: I said "I love you" way before he did. He was skittish about saying it. He didn't know what love "was" or how to define it in his mind I think. I don't say it lightly and had waited a while as well.

Anyway, when his little brother got married and I was invited to the wedding, we heard a lot of readings about "what is love" etc. A weekend or so later, my guy asks me what I think love is. So I tried to tell him--and my definition is nothing like the "love is patient, love is kind, etc" classic stuff from the wedding rehearsal. I told him those things were all well and good, but I just thought they were incomplete in significant ways. That true love is also inherently selfish and that's ok. That "love" in the marriage sense is finding a companion who makes you happy and complete and who you enjoy spending time with. They make you a better person because of their companionship. The idea of "selfless" love doesn't really jive with me. To me that equals dependency and "doormat" behavior, which just breeds resentment in the end. I pointed out that I don't want to be the only center in my love's universe. That's too much pressure. I can't be the only important thing in someone's life anymore than I can force my life to center only around another person. The people I love (be they family or a husband) need passions for their work, or their kids, or a hobby or something, that I can encourage and support. To me, "I love you and want to make you happy because seeing you happy makes me happy" and "I want your companionship for the rest of my life" is a good sort of selfish.

It's a really hard thing to define love I think... but I tried. I could tell I had him thinking and it was a good thing. We'd talked about it before, and I felt that he loved me even though he'd never said the words. He gave me a toe curling kiss and that was the end of the conversation about it that day. (I was visiting him for the weekend.) The next time I saw him in person, he said he loved me. And oh that felt good to hear!

FYI: His bother is divorced (they were childhood sweethearts but in the end it didn't work--they are better as just friends) and has said that he has been looking to us for guidance on how to make the next one last.

Before our wedding, his mom pulled me aside and said she wanted to talk to me about married life. I think she was planning to tell me about how married love is different from passionate youthful love or something like that. After one divorced son, she wanted to make sure our expectations were appropriate so it would last. Anyway, she asked me "what is love" and I replied without missing a beat "love is selfish and that's a good thing." She stared at me drop jaw-ed and then laughed, saying that we were going to be just fine and then went on to tell me about the early years of her own marriage. :)
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    He sat near me in a class in college. I'm terrible with names, and even though it was obvious he was interested and I was as well, I felt terrible about the fact that I kept forgetting his name during small talk over the first few classes. I told him how bad I felt about it and he told me a joke to make me feel better. The next class, he asked, "what's my name." I froze and told him the punchline of his joke. As soon as he laughed, I remembered his name and blurted that out with a "SORRY!" which only made him laugh more. He then asked me to grab lunch with him at the cafeteria on campus. We chatted for 7 hours straight in that cafeteria. Didn't realize it was so long at first, but then we noticed the staff clearing tables of dinner food! Neither of us are big talkers usually, so it was a shock that we'd had that much easy conversation in one go. We started dating after that. I was 19 at the time.

He had a co-op during college and then graduated before me (he was couple years older), so we managed a "long distance" (3 hours away) relationship successfully for a while until I too graduated. After college, I made the choice to "follow" him instead of seeking a job closer to my family. We moved in together then--much to my parent's chagrin (I'm an only child and my hubby is of a different religion). And he asked me to marry him a couple years later. We're now approaching our 1st year anniversary, have a house together that we are fixing up. We'll aim for kids in the next couple years. Ironically, my relationship with my mom is healthier now that it ever was before. :) My folks understand the fit now.

We've been a couple for 8 years. Before him, my longest relationship was 2 months and his was about the same.

BTW: I said "I love you" way before he did. He was skittish about saying it. He didn't know what love "was" or how to define it in his mind I think. I don't say it lightly and had waited a while as well.

Anyway, when his little brother got married and I was invited to the wedding, we heard a lot of readings about "what is love" etc. A weekend or so later, my guy asks me what I think love is. So I tried to tell him--and my definition is nothing like the "love is patient, love is kind, etc" classic stuff from the wedding rehearsal. I told him those things were all well and good, but I just thought they were incomplete in significant ways. That true love is also inherently selfish and that's ok. That "love" in the marriage sense is finding a companion who makes you happy and complete and who you enjoy spending time with. They make you a better person because of their companionship. The idea of "selfless" love doesn't really jive with me. To me that equals dependency and "doormat" behavior, which just breeds resentment in the end. I pointed out that I don't want to be the only center in my love's universe. That's too much pressure. I can't be the only important thing in someone's life anymore than I can force my life to center only around another person. The people I love (be they family or a husband) need passions for their work, or their kids, or a hobby or something, that I can encourage and support. To me, "I love you and want to make you happy because seeing you happy makes me happy" and "I want your companionship for the rest of my life" is a good sort of selfish.

It's a really hard thing to define love I think... but I tried. I could tell I had him thinking and it was a good thing. We'd talked about it before, and I felt that he loved me even though he'd never said the words. He gave me a toe curling kiss and that was the end of the conversation about it that day. (I was visiting him for the weekend.) The next time I saw him in person, he said he loved me. And oh that felt good to hear!

FYI: His bother is divorced (they were childhood sweethearts but in the end it didn't work--they are better as just friends) and has said that he has been looking to us for guidance on how to make the next one last.

Before our wedding, his mom pulled me aside and said she wanted to talk to me about married life. I think she was planning to tell me about how married love is different from passionate youthful love or something like that. After one divorced son, she wanted to make sure our expectations were appropriate so it would last. Anyway, she asked me "what is love" and I replied without missing a beat "love is selfish and that's a good thing." She stared at me drop jaw-ed and then laughed, saying that we were going to be just fine and then went on to tell me about the early years of her own marriage. :)

Not to argue, just my thoughts:
    "Love is patient, love is kind, etc." is biblical.
    My husband and I believe God can be our everything.
    We are both imperfect, selfish human beings and therefore cannot be each other's everything.
    We believe we can be selfless with each other because of the example Christ set for us.
    He gave His life for us and we can give our lives to each other because God is our source of love and that love never runs dry.
    Our definition of marital love is giving what the other person needs to be who God created him/her to be.
    Yes, I love all the wonderful things my husband does for me but I truly LOVE him by putting him first.
    I am not a doormat because that love is reciprocated.
    I am not resentful because I didn't get married to see what I could get but rather what I could give.

I'm glad you have a wonderful marriage :smile:
    And my husband can't remember names either :wink:
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    This is so so adorable.
    I was a divorced mom with a 1 year old and was working full time. I went to my Dr's office for a check up and he asked me how my love life was. I thought he was being weird so I looked at him kind of funny. He asked again how things were going with dating, meeting someone and having a child to care for. I told him it wasn't going so well. Guys got jealous of the time and attention I had to spend with my son and they would get upset if I had to cancel a date if my son got sick. I told him it would be nice to meet a guy who wasn't such a selfish baby and liked me and my son. He said I have just the guy for you. Again I thought OMG this old guy better not be thinking of asking me out or something....ewww! He then said..My son! He told me a little about his son and asked me if it was ok to give his son my number. I thought it was a big joke and figured what the heck. What do I have to lose? I've already met some pretty weird men so one more wouldn't matter. Thinking it was a joke I said sure here's my parents number, my private number in my room, and my work number. The nurses in the office all hid his photo asap. They said it wasn't right that I could see what he looked like and he didn't know what I looked like. But they assured me he was the "handsome" son. They all told me I would really like him.

The next day I went to work and told the girls in my office and we were all cracking up thinking it was a joke but wouldn't it be funny if it worked out?

Six months later I had completely forgotten about my Dr's attempt to fix me up with his son. Then the phone rang. I heard this mans voice telling me his name David Davidson. I cracked up laughing. I said really? Are you kidding me? Is this a joke? He said no I assure you this isn't a joke. My dad gave me your number and told me I would like you and wanted me to give you a call. He said you were divorced...so am I. He told me you have a son.. I don't have any kids but love kids. We talked for probably an hour. He was in the Navy at that time and couldn't get time off the ship so he called me every day till he could come up with a time and day to go out for our first date.

Our first date he showed up with this big ear to ear smile. I fell for him right then and there. We had such a good time talking over dinner that we didn't realize what time it was and we had to be told by the staff that they were closing and we had to leave lol.

He proposed 4 months later, we married 4 months after that and we've been married now over 20 years. We have 3 kids including the oldest from my first marriage. I can't imagine being with anyone else. I still get a big ear to ear smile from him the minute he walks in the door. :smile: