Is MILK work?

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    A serving of broccoli has more calcium in it than a serving of milk. As an exercise physiologist, and nutritional apprentice I don't think milk isn't good. We are the only species to drink milk after infancy. And it isn't even human milk, it's from a pregnant cow. Cow's milk is made for a baby cow to grow larger in a short amount of time. It has IGF-1 factors, and 15 different variations of androgenic hormones. Puss cells, and casien which is known to cause cancer in large amounts. This is probably the reason for early development in children in schools, acne, inflammation, and other problems.

^ I just want to point out we do NOT get milk from pregnant cows. :noway:

Ok, true, Cows produce milk after giving birth to offspring. There wouldn't be any point in milk production *during* pregnancy, since the purpose of milk is to nourish the calf post-partum, and physiologically the body would see no reason to produce milk without a baby.
    So they make the cows hormonally always like they just gave birth, very unnatural.

Cows... just like women, will continue produce milk so long as that milk is expressed. There is no need to do anything to a cow to continue its milk production. Yes, there are some shady dairies out there that try. But most stores sell local milk and all one needs to do is a little bit of research to find out which dairies are using which hormones and which stores sell their milk.

Even if dairy farms do NOT use 'hormones' to increase milk production, it doesn't mean that there isn't still cow hormones in cow's milk because there is. The hormones from the cow are in there, and they are not meant to be metabolized by humans. That is why they cause many overseen health problems that arent attributed to dairy consumption.

Okay... so what are these special cow hormones that are foreign to humans and are not present in the human body? Diabetics used to take insulin extracted from cows, pigs, and goats. Never heard of any adverse effects from that.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Okay milk is bad, we could argue that all food is bad since we buy most of them at least partially processed. So, let us advocate for stop eating all together! *rolling my eyes*

Why don't you do us all a favor and start that, and let us know how it goes?

I think you are the one that should since you obviously have a problem with milk that supplies use with essential nutrients. Oh, and while you're at it, you should lay off the bottled water too since the plastic may pose a health risk for ya... lol
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    A serving of broccoli has more calcium in it than a serving of milk. As an exercise physiologist, and nutritional apprentice I don't think milk isn't good. We are the only species to drink milk after infancy. And it isn't even human milk, it's from a pregnant cow. Cow's milk is made for a baby cow to grow larger in a short amount of time. It has IGF-1 factors, and 15 different variations of androgenic hormones. Puss cells, and casien which is known to cause cancer in large amounts. This is probably the reason for early development in children in schools, acne, inflammation, and other problems.

Ok, true, Cows produce milk after giving birth to offspring. There wouldn't be any point in milk production *during* pregnancy, since the purpose of milk is to nourish the calf post-partum, and physiologically the body would see no reason to produce milk without a baby.
    So they make the cows hormonally always like they just gave birth, very unnatural.

Cows... just like women, will continue produce milk so long as that milk is expressed. There is no need to do anything to a cow to continue its milk production. Yes, there are some shady dairies out there that try. But most stores sell local milk and all one needs to do is a little bit of research to find out which dairies are using which hormones and which stores sell their milk.

Even if dairy farms do NOT use 'hormones' to increase milk production, it doesn't mean that there isn't still cow hormones in cow's milk because there is. The hormones from the cow are in there, and they are not meant to be metabolized by humans. That is why they cause many overseen health problems that arent attributed to dairy consumption.

Overseen health problems are the worst.
  • syntaxxor
    syntaxxor Posts: 86
    Options
    If you're drinking milk for calcium, switch to Almond Milk, as it has more calcium per serving against whole milk. (45% in Almond Milk). It has less calories, and more overall nutrients than cow's milk. The only downside is that it has a lot less protein. (1g vs 8g)
  • favreervaf
    favreervaf Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Okay... so what are these special cow hormones that are foreign to humans and are not present in the human body? Diabetics used to take insulin extracted from cows, pigs, and goats. Never heard of any adverse effects from that.

There are plenty. All have peptide variations that aren't recognizable by human metabolism. You can do your own research, but one of them is Bovine somatotropin or bovine somatotrophin (abbreviated bST and BST)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to drink milk, then don't. But quit pretending that you are somehow morally superior for refraining from dairy consumption. Get a grip, favreervaf!
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I go through so much milk sometimes it's shocking the cows haven't run out. It's great for you as a source not only of calcium but of the types of proteins your body can most easily use. It's also the only liquid that your body reacts to as if it were food (which makes sense because as an infant it was your only food source). The only problem, sadly, is the lack of enzymes, lost in the pasturization, but you can easily replace your dairy enzymes by including yogurt in your diet. (I list dairy enzymes because they are a different type than the enzymes found in raw fruits, vegetables, etc.) Overall, though, milk is great for you.
  • favreervaf
    Options
    If you don't want to drink milk, then don't. But quit pretending that you are somehow morally superior for refraining from dairy consumption. Get a grip, favreervaf!

There is nothing moral about it, I don't give a crap about cows or baby cows. I love a good steak, but I'm just saying there is healthier options than milk for calcium. We were brought up thinking milk is healthy because back in the day there was a U.S. deficiency of vitamins A and D which they added to milk. Now those deficiencies aren't really an issue due to other foods.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    We are the only species to drink milk after infancy.

Nope - my cats love a bit of cow milk / cream / cheese / ice cream given half a chance to get their paws on it.

Milk is great source of protein and a wide range of vitamins and minerals.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

There is nothing moral about it, I don't give a crap about cows or baby cows. I love a good steak, but I'm just saying there is healthier options than milk for calcium. We were brought up thinking milk is healthy because back in the day there was a U.S. deficiency of vitamins A and D which they added to milk. Now those deficiencies aren't really an issue due to other foods.

Perhaps there ARE healthier options. Maybe not.
  • favreervaf
    Options
    We are the only species to drink milk after infancy.

Nope - my cats love a bit of cow milk / cream / cheese / ice cream given half a chance to get their paws on it.

Milk is great source of protein and a wide range of vitamins and minerals.

That's because you give it to them. In the wild, in a natural survival setting, cats do not drink milk. Sorry.
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

EVERYTHING he said. If you really want milk, drink nut milk (I make my own; it's not hard and it's very tasty). Even goat's milk is better for you than cow's milk; our bodies break it down more easily and absorb more of the nutritional value from goat's milk.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I drink milk pretty regularly for protein, calcium, potassium, etc. Some people are intolerant of course. Worth checking out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance#Lactase_persistence
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    There are plenty. All have peptide variations that aren't recognizable by human metabolism. You can do your own research, but one of them is Bovine somatotropin or bovine somatotrophin (abbreviated bST and BST)

Source: http://www.biotech.iastate.edu/biotech_info_series/Bovine_Somatotropin.html
    A hormone similar to bST is produced in all species of animals. This hormone is important for growth, development, and other bodily functions of all animals.

BST is naturally occuring and it is similar to the same hormones introduced by a woman's brain during lactation. Show me studies where this additional peptide is harmful to humans because I haven't found it. Albeit, I haven't spent a large amount of time on it, but you are making the claim so you should defend your point.

As I said earlier, some dairies increase the levels of BST by injecting it (or rBST) in their cows to stimulate milk production, but a little research into your local dairies will help you determine which stores are selling it.

Source: http://www.ads.uga.edu/documents/rbstexpertpaper-6.26.09-final.pdf
    Milk is a nutritious food and its composition does not differ whether it is labeled as conventional, rbST-free or organic. Milks labeled as rbST-free or organic are niche productsmarketed by producers following a particular management system. There is no test that can differentiate between milk from rbST-supplemented and non-supplemented cows. If properly handled, all milk, regardless of the production system, is natural, pure and safe.
    The safety of milk from cows supplemented with rbST has been comprehensively and consistently documented. To date, there have been over 90,000 scientific publications relating to somatotropin, thereby providing a strong knowledge base for understanding the biology of somatotropin. Cow-related research has also been extensive; a limited literature search for “bovine somatotropin” indicates over 1,300 scientific publications and over 500 publications relating to “recombinant bovine somatotropin.”
    In the 1950s, there was a lot of interest in trying to give bovine growth hormone injections to children who were deficient in human growth hormone to help them achieve normal growth. Unfortunately in these children it was shown definitively that bovine growth hormone had no effect on growth in humans.12,13,14 is means that even if milk had high concentrations of bovine growth hormone, the hormone would not stimulate human cells to grow. Furthermore, when bovine growth hormone is given orally, it is broken down by digestive enzymes. Therefore, for these two major reasons, it is safe to say that bovine growth hormone in milk cannot stimulate human tissues to grow.
    Hormones are naturally present in all the foods we eat, regardless of whether they are sourced from animals or plants.

There, I did my homework. Please... show me where BST in naturally occurring quantities (not from dairies treating their cows with it) causes any ill-effects in humans considering that humans produce a similar hormone for their own milk-production.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity I just looked up the calcium content of common foods. According to Harvard, it looks like dairy, including milk trumps vegetable sources of calcium by a mile. It appears you would have to eat over three cups of broccoli to get the calcium found in one cup of skim milk. Almond and soy milks are not significant sources of calcium unless they are fortified in processing (as is calcium fortified orange juice.)

The only issue I can see with milk (assuming you do not have a dietary intolerance to it) is that if you drink it like water - as in 8 cups per day, you will take in a lot of extra calories. Drink water like water and treat milk like food. Enjoy your milk, OP.

Reference: huhs.harvard.edu/.../Service_Nutrition_CalciumContentOfCommonF
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Steak has nothing to do with it. You are claiming to be morally superior because of your false belief about the nutrition to be had in diary. I wasn't talking about meat, just milk. So, yeah, get a grip.

Enjoy feeling like you are healthier than the rest of us. I'm here to validate your feelings and not confuse you with facts. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

EVERYTHING he said. If you really want milk, drink nut milk (I make my own; it's not hard and it's very tasty). Even goat's milk is better for you than cow's milk; our bodies break it down more easily and absorb more of the nutritional value from goat's milk.

Nut milk is for baby nuts.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Nut milk really isn't a milk... it's more of a nut juice, isn't it?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I drink milk pretty regularly for protein, calcium, potassium, etc. Some people are intolerant of course. Worth checking out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance#Lactase_persistence

:drinker:

Milk is an awesome way to get in some extra protein with your cookies! :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Nut milk really isn't a milk... it's more of a nut juice, isn't it?

Don't confuse me with facts! Just validate my feelings! :angry:
This discussion has been closed.