Is MILK work?

Options

Replies

• mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity I just looked up the calcium content of common foods. According to Harvard, it looks like dairy, including milk trumps vegetable sources of calcium by a mile. It appears you would have to eat over three cups of broccoli to get the calcium found in one cup of skim milk. Almond and soy milks are not significant sources of calcium unless they are fortified in processing (as is calcium fortified orange juice.)

The only issue I can see with milk (assuming you do not have a dietary intolerance to it) is that if you drink it like water - as in 8 cups per day, you will take in a lot of extra calories. Drink water like water and treat milk like food. Enjoy your milk, OP.

Reference: huhs.harvard.edu/.../Service_Nutrition_CalciumContentOfCommonF

It may contain more calcium, but can our bodies absorb all of the calcium equally to the vegetable sources? Based on some research I’ve done, the answer is no. But I’m not an expert. Just trying to educate myself and become a healthier and happier me. :smile:
  • acrowder99
    acrowder99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A serving of broccoli has more calcium in it than a serving of milk. As an exercise physiologist, and nutritional apprentice I don't think milk isn't good. We are the only species to drink milk after infancy. And it isn't even human milk, it's from a pregnant cow. Cow's milk is made for a baby cow to grow larger in a short amount of time. It has IGF-1 factors, and 15 different variations of androgenic hormones. Puss cells, and casien which is known to cause cancer in large amounts. This is probably the reason for early development in children in schools, acne, inflammation, and other problems.

Because we are the only creatures that have it readily available to us. Put a bowl of cow's milk or goat's milk in front of a dog or cat - they'll drink it.
  • spikeithard
    spikeithard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    DO NOT drink pasteurized milk! only raw milk from a clean and reputable farmer.

OR drink almond milk mixed with a MRP.

pasteurized milk is damn well near a poison. cancer in a carton
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk and it has a decent amount of calcium.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    A serving of broccoli has more calcium in it than a serving of milk. As an exercise physiologist, and nutritional apprentice I don't think milk isn't good. We are the only species to drink milk after infancy. And it isn't even human milk, it's from a pregnant cow. Cow's milk is made for a baby cow to grow larger in a short amount of time. It has IGF-1 factors, and 15 different variations of androgenic hormones. Puss cells, and casien which is known to cause cancer in large amounts. This is probably the reason for early development in children in schools, acne, inflammation, and other problems.

Because we are the only creatures that have it readily available to us. Put a bowl of cow's milk or goat's milk in front of a dog or cat - they'll drink it.

Exactly... put a serving of broccolli in front of a cat or dog and see what happens.
  • mrsfoster102613
    Options

EVERYTHING he said. If you really want milk, drink nut milk (I make my own; it's not hard and it's very tasty). Even goat's milk is better for you than cow's milk; our bodies break it down more easily and absorb more of the nutritional value from goat's milk.

Nut milk is for baby nuts.

Nut milk really isn't a milk... it's more of a nut juice, isn't it?

Technically I suppose it is not a milk, but it is referred to as nut milk. I personally find it's a great substitute for cow's milk. I use it for baking, cooking (sauces, soups, etc.), pairing it with granola, coffee, tea etc. I genuinely like the taste. I have yet to use it for something and been unhappy with the results. I make a sweetened and unsweetened version that I store in mason jars. Don’t knock it until you try it! :smile:
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with milk unless you're lactose intolerant.
    Yes, then it becomes explosively wrong.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

EVERYTHING he said. If you really want milk, drink nut milk (I make my own; it's not hard and it's very tasty). Even goat's milk is better for you than cow's milk; our bodies break it down more easily and absorb more of the nutritional value from goat's milk.

Technically I suppose it is not a milk, but it is referred to as nut milk. I personally find it's a great substitute for cow's milk. I use it for baking, cooking (sauces, soups, etc.), pairing it with granola, coffee, tea etc. I genuinely like the taste. I have yet to use it for something and been unhappy with the results. I make a sweetened and unsweetened version that I store in mason jars. Don’t knock it until you try it! :smile:

I have. I wasn't reaching my protein goals and switched back. I actually have nothing against nut milks. Almond milk is yummy. I was just looking for a chance to make a lame joke. LOL!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    A serving of broccoli has more calcium in it than a serving of milk. As an exercise physiologist,

This is an absolute and total lie. An "exercise physiologist" shouldn't be spreading such blatantly wrong information.

A cup of chopped broccoli has 43 mg calcium and no vitamin D.

A cup of skim milk has 316 mg calcium and 25% of the RDA for vitamin D.

Any kind of "physiologist" should also know the relationship between calcium absorption and vitamin D as well.

An entire stalk of broccoli still only has 71 mg calcium. In other words, a single 110 calorie cup of milk has over four times the calcium of an entire stalk of broccoli.

Please, don't repeat this lie again.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    We are the only species to drink milk after infancy.

Nope - my cats love a bit of cow milk / cream / cheese / ice cream given half a chance to get their paws on it.

Milk is great source of protein and a wide range of vitamins and minerals.

That's because you give it to them. In the wild, in a natural survival setting, cats do not drink milk. Sorry.

Perhaps if/when felines evolve to have opposable thumbs they will.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    milk.jpg

I only have one question (and I think you know what it is): how do you milk a cat? Won't they claw the hell out of your forearms if you even try?
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk---I have switched to it as it is lower calorie, has more calcium, and tastes great. I use Silk Unsweetened Vanilla on coffee and cereal and love it. The Trader Joe;s brand separates and is kinda gross, I am sad to say, as I love TJs.

But I drink skim milk if I go to Starbucks, so I am not anti-milk. At home, my kids love it, regular milk, and we just buy the no hormone, organic kind.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    We are the only species to drink milk after infancy.

Nope - my cats love a bit of cow milk / cream / cheese / ice cream given half a chance to get their paws on it.

Milk is great source of protein and a wide range of vitamins and minerals.

That's because you give it to them. In the wild, in a natural survival setting, cats do not drink milk. Sorry.

Perhaps if/when felines evolve to have opposable thumbs they will.

640x960Cat.jpg
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    As long as you suck the milk straight from the cow's teat, you're good...right?
  • favreervaf
    favreervaf Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There are plenty. All have peptide variations that aren't recognizable by human metabolism. You can do your own research, but one of them is Bovine somatotropin or bovine somatotrophin (abbreviated bST and BST)

Source: http://www.biotech.iastate.edu/biotech_info_series/Bovine_Somatotropin.html
    A hormone similar to bST is produced in all species of animals. This hormone is important for growth, development, and other bodily functions of all animals.

BST is naturally occuring and it is similar to the same hormones introduced by a woman's brain during lactation. Show me studies where this additional peptide is harmful to humans because I haven't found it. Albeit, I haven't spent a large amount of time on it, but you are making the claim so you should defend your point.

As I said earlier, some dairies increase the levels of BST by injecting it (or rBST) in their cows to stimulate milk production, but a little research into your local dairies will help you determine which stores are selling it.

Source: http://www.ads.uga.edu/documents/rbstexpertpaper-6.26.09-final.pdf
    Milk is a nutritious food and its composition does not differ whether it is labeled as conventional, rbST-free or organic. Milks labeled as rbST-free or organic are niche productsmarketed by producers following a particular management system. There is no test that can differentiate between milk from rbST-supplemented and non-supplemented cows. If properly handled, all milk, regardless of the production system, is natural, pure and safe.
    The safety of milk from cows supplemented with rbST has been comprehensively and consistently documented. To date, there have been over 90,000 scientific publications relating to somatotropin, thereby providing a strong knowledge base for understanding the biology of somatotropin. Cow-related research has also been extensive; a limited literature search for “bovine somatotropin” indicates over 1,300 scientific publications and over 500 publications relating to “recombinant bovine somatotropin.”
    In the 1950s, there was a lot of interest in trying to give bovine growth hormone injections to children who were deficient in human growth hormone to help them achieve normal growth. Unfortunately in these children it was shown definitively that bovine growth hormone had no effect on growth in humans.12,13,14 is means that even if milk had high concentrations of bovine growth hormone, the hormone would not stimulate human cells to grow. Furthermore, when bovine growth hormone is given orally, it is broken down by digestive enzymes. Therefore, for these two major reasons, it is safe to say that bovine growth hormone in milk cannot stimulate human tissues to grow.
    Hormones are naturally present in all the foods we eat, regardless of whether they are sourced from animals or plants.

There, I did my homework. Please... show me where BST in naturally occurring quantities (not from dairies treating their cows with it) causes any ill-effects in humans considering that humans produce a similar hormone for their own milk-production.

Right, made in all species but they vary in type by animal. Our growth hormones are not the same as a cows. And even if they were, drink milk gives us an EXCESS of hormones not needed.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I am a milk-producing queen (tandem nursing 2 tots) but as for what I drink? An occasional bit of coconut milk on my cereal. Otherwise, I eat greek yogurt (Chobani) and other foods which have calcium (love broccoli).

We have been buying coconut milk for years now. When we did buy cow's milk, we bought the rBST-free. I don't trust the hormones either and would rather not have my children receive hormones designed to make the cows grow big.

We take Vitamin D3 supplements most of the year, except in the summer when we get outside in the sun. I aim for 5000 - 15000 IU daily.
  • mrsfoster102613
    Options

I have. I wasn't reaching my protein goals and switched back. I actually have nothing against nut milks. Almond milk is yummy. I was just looking for a chance to make a lame joke. LOL!

Lol, I thought it was funny. It did make me laugh, and you were technically correct. I don't monitor my protein too terribly closely because I haven't found a need to. My energy levels are high, my hair is growing like crazy, I haven't had any muscle issues since I've started working out etc. If some of that changes, I'll be keeping a closer eye on my protein since I've cut a big chunk(definitely not all) of cow's milk from my diet.
  • favreervaf
    Options
    A serving of broccoli has more calcium in it than a serving of milk. As an exercise physiologist,

This is an absolute and total lie. An "exercise physiologist" shouldn't be spreading such blatantly wrong information.

A cup of chopped broccoli has 43 mg calcium and no vitamin D.

A cup of skim milk has 316 mg calcium and 25% of the RDA for vitamin D.

Any kind of "physiologist" should also know the relationship between calcium absorption and vitamin D as well.

An entire stalk of broccoli still only has 71 mg calcium. In other words, a single 110 calorie cup of milk has over four times the calcium of an entire stalk of broccoli.

Please, don't repeat this lie again.

I know the relationship between vitamin D and calcium - what I should of said was a few servings of broccoli and other leafy greens, a days worth of greens with calcium in them. Anyway, new studies on calcium show we may not need as much as we thought, and absorability issues with supplements, etc...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Right, made in all species but they vary in type by animal. Our growth hormones are not the same as a cows. And even if they were, drink milk gives us an EXCESS of hormones not needed.

I'm sorry. How did you gloss over the bit where the tested BST as a potential solution for children with development and growth issues and found that BST was completely inactive in the human body?
  • favreervaf
    Options

I'm sorry. How did you gloss over the bit where the tested BST as a potential solution for children with development and growth issues and found that BST was completely inactive in the human body?

Ok, that is one thing BST... do we want 5 year old kids having IGF-1 factors from cows milk?
This discussion has been closed.