Is MILK work?

Options

Replies

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

So much for your "couldn't be bothered" statement.

Thats not rudimentary, thats so basic it really shouldn't need explaining - but it seems it does because people seem to know nothing whatsoever about food production and yet claim to be experts in it.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with milk unless you're lactose intolerant.

^^^^Agree!!
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    The daily recommendations the FDA puts out for Vitamin D3 intake are still way too low (200 IU a day?? Give me a break! They'd rather you take all kinds of expensive pharmaceuticals instead because D3 is cheap). 75% of Americans do not get enough Vitamin D. The big thing "they" do not want you to know is that our immune system requires a high amount of D3 to function. Even if one drinks milk and takes a general (once a day) supplement, it is still not enough D3. You need to get the 5000 IU capsules found at Walmart/Sam's Club (and possibly elsewhere, but I know it's reasonably priced and readily available those two places). Take AT LEAST one of those every day, and more when you're sick. D3 can only be synthesized through the skin, and not in most of the Northern hemisphere from November - March. So all winter long, even if you go outside and even if you burn, your body does NOT synthesize Vitamin D3 because it's a different process than UV rays burning the skin. There are plenty of scientific articles on this and google is your friend.

Don't hestitate. Get D3 and take it in copious amounts. You will NOT overdose on D3. It is, in fact, prescribed in high doses (50,000 IU pills) to sick individuals who need the immune system boost.

Better yet, get your D3 levels tested so you can see if you are deficient.

D3 is not some "wussy vitamin" -- it's the best-kept secret and is VITAL to overall health.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Thats not rudimentary, thats so basic it really shouldn't need explaining - but it seems it does because people seem to know nothing whatsoever about food production and yet claim to be experts in it.

neato
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I know plenty about where milk comes from. I am a farmer. I've been to plenty dairy farms in my time - my godfather used to have a 150 cow unit....

Congrats?

So; the point is, most milk at least in this country comes from dairy farms, I think the average size is about 100 - 150 cows, a big one is 300 or so. cows are usually grazed in the summer, housed in the winter and fed silage and concentrates/wholecrop. Dairy farmers are experts at getting the most possible out of their grass because margins in milk are tight and the longer cows are housed, the more it costs to keep them.

I dunno a 'McGregor', but I assume that you meant family farms as opposed to big, indoor cow units, which are really unusual in Europe as a whole.

Er, miaow?

Sounds like you need educating, maybe that's why he bothered.

You're welcome.
  • dovetail22uk
    Options
    :

^^^^Agree!!
    [/quote]

^^^^ Me too! :drinker:
  • SteveJWatson
    Options
    .......D3 can only be synthesized through the skin, and not in most of the Northern hemisphere from November - March. So all winter long, even if you go outside and even if you burn, your body does NOT synthesize Vitamin D3 because it's a different process than UV rays burning the skin. There are plenty of scientific articles on this and google is your friend.

...and yet human beings have existed in Northern Europe for millenia without such a supplement. Spooky.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I know plenty about where milk comes from. I am a farmer. I've been to plenty dairy farms in my time - my godfather used to have a 150 cow unit....

Congrats?

So; the point is, most milk at least in this country comes from dairy farms, I think the average size is about 100 - 150 cows, a big one is 300 or so. cows are usually grazed in the summer, housed in the winter and fed silage and concentrates/wholecrop. Dairy farmers are experts at getting the most possible out of their grass because margins in milk are tight and the longer cows are housed, the more it costs to keep them.

I dunno a 'McGregor', but I assume that you meant family farms as opposed to big, indoor cow units, which are really unusual in Europe as a whole.

Er, miaow?

You're welcome.

Not really considering I didn't ask a question or claim to know anything except most milk isn't from a happy little dairy farm and no I don't consider 100-150 cows a "small little dairy farm".
  • dovetail22uk
    Options

Congrats?

Er, miaow?

You're welcome.

Not really considering I didn't ask a question or claim to know anything except most milk isn't from a happy little dairy farm and no I don't consider 100-150 cows a "small little dairy farm".

neato
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    A serving of broccoli has more calcium in it than a serving of milk.

What? 100g of broccoli has 5% of the recommended daily value of calcium. A cup of milk has 30%. You'd have to eat 600g of broccoli to equal the calcium value of one cup of milk. I like both--win win!
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Drink milk if you want. I personally have never liked the taste of cow's milk so I drink soymilk or almond milk instead (and I think it has a bit more calcium) but if you like it idk why you wouldn't drink it.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    A serving of broccoli has more calcium in it than a serving of milk.

What? 100g of broccoli has 5% of the recommended daily value of milk. A cup of milk has 30%. You'd have to eat 600g of broccoli to equal the calcium value of one cup of milk. I like both--win win!

I just drank some soymilk which has more calcium than dairy milk. Man I wish I could hace broccoli but it gives me a horrible stomach ache. :(
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The daily recommendations the FDA puts out for Vitamin D3 intake are still way too low (200 IU a day?? Give me a break! They'd rather you take all kinds of expensive pharmaceuticals instead because D3 is cheap). 75% of Americans do not get enough Vitamin D. The big thing "they" do not want you to know is that our immune system requires a high amount of D3 to function. Even if one drinks milk and takes a general (once a day) supplement, it is still not enough D3. You need to get the 5000 IU capsules found at Walmart/Sam's Club (and possibly elsewhere, but I know it's reasonably priced and readily available those two places). Take AT LEAST one of those every day, and more when you're sick. D3 can only be synthesized through the skin, and not in most of the Northern hemisphere from November - March. So all winter long, even if you go outside and even if you burn, your body does NOT synthesize Vitamin D3 because it's a different process than UV rays burning the skin. There are plenty of scientific articles on this and google is your friend.

Don't hestitate. Get D3 and take it in copious amounts. You will NOT overdose on D3. It is, in fact, prescribed in high doses (50,000 IU pills) to sick individuals who need the immune system boost.

Better yet, get your D3 levels tested so you can see if you are deficient.

D3 is not some "wussy vitamin" -- it's the best-kept secret and is VITAL to overall health.

I recommend vitamin D3 for those who don't spend a lot of time in direct sunlight, but saying that you "need to get 5000 IU capsules"is a bit much.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

neato
    WTH is wrong with you?

I'd like to thank the farmer first for his work, and secondly for the first hand knowledge he has given us here...unlike the snarky catface.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^yep
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    A serving of broccoli has more calcium in it than a serving of milk. As an exercise physiologist, and nutritional apprentice I don't think milk isn't good. We are the only species to drink milk after infancy. And it isn't even human milk, it's from a pregnant cow. Cow's milk is made for a baby cow to grow larger in a short amount of time. It has IGF-1 factors, and 15 different variations of androgenic hormones. Puss cells, and casien which is known to cause cancer in large amounts. This is probably the reason for early development in children in schools, acne, inflammation, and other problems.

derp. Sound like you need to go back to school.
  • SteveJWatson
    Options
    If you are keeping say, one cow/acre 100-150ac is a pretty damn small farm by any standards.

How is having 150 animals a huge ammount to look after?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    A serving of broccoli has more calcium in it than a serving of milk. As an exercise physiologist, and nutritional apprentice I don't think milk isn't good. We are the only species to drink milk after infancy. And it isn't even human milk, it's from a pregnant cow. Cow's milk is made for a baby cow to grow larger in a short amount of time. It has IGF-1 factors, and 15 different variations of androgenic hormones. Puss cells, and casien which is known to cause cancer in large amounts. This is probably the reason for early development in children in schools, acne, inflammation, and other problems.

Also the only species to wipe our butts after pooping.

and the only ones to cook our food,

Better stop that right now!

A lot of animals eat feces. I guess we had better start doing that if we want to copy what animals are doing.

Also, we are *not* the only species to drink milk past infancy. Most animals will drink it - they just do not have the ability to milk a cow.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ah, a milk thread - I wondered how long it would be before it plunged down this route.

Most northern european cultures have been dairying long enough to adapt to ill effects of milk products. If you are lactose intolerant, that is fair enough, and I do believe that there is a lot of undiagnosed low-level lactose intolerance about.

As for the 'expert' on dairy farming up there - what a joke.

I used to be bothered to explain rudimentary dairying to people on these threads, but I can no longer be bothered. Go to a farm once in a while, theres plenty about.

My uncle had a dairy farm. I miss visiting it, as he is retired now. I liked feeding the calves from the bottle and watching him hook up the machines to the cows. Also, he had a "Murphy's Law" poster next to his desk in the diary barn, which I enjoyed reading. And we played hide-and-seek in the hay barn with the cousins. Good times!
  • SteveJWatson
    Options
    Ah, a milk thread - I wondered how long it would be before it plunged down this route.

Most northern european cultures have been dairying long enough to adapt to ill effects of milk products. If you are lactose intolerant, that is fair enough, and I do believe that there is a lot of undiagnosed low-level lactose intolerance about.

As for the 'expert' on dairy farming up there - what a joke.

I used to be bothered to explain rudimentary dairying to people on these threads, but I can no longer be bothered. Go to a farm once in a while, theres plenty about.

My uncle had a dairy farm. I miss visiting it, as he is retired now. I liked feeding the calves from the bottle and watching him hook up the machines to the cows. Also, he had a "Murphy's Law" poster next to his desk in the diary barn, which I enjoyed reading. And we played hide-and-seek in the hay barn with the cousins. Good times!

A lot of small farms are dairying over here - although it is getting less as margins on milk get tighter. It used to be the 'approved route' into farming, starting out renting a small dairy farm and then progressing from there onto bigger units.

I'm a weirdo - I farm sheep instead.
This discussion has been closed.