Is MILK work?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    A serving of broccoli has more calcium in it than a serving of milk. As an exercise physiologist,

This is an absolute and total lie. An "exercise physiologist" shouldn't be spreading such blatantly wrong information.

A cup of chopped broccoli has 43 mg calcium and no vitamin D.

A cup of skim milk has 316 mg calcium and 25% of the RDA for vitamin D.

Any kind of "physiologist" should also know the relationship between calcium absorption and vitamin D as well.

An entire stalk of broccoli still only has 71 mg calcium. In other words, a single 110 calorie cup of milk has over four times the calcium of an entire stalk of broccoli.

Please, don't repeat this lie again.

I know the relationship between vitamin D and calcium - what I should of said was a few servings of broccoli and other leafy greens, a days worth of greens with calcium in them.

Oh so what you really meant to say was "four entire stalks of broccoli will give you almost as much calcium as a single 8 ounce serving of skim milk"?

Or maybe what you meant to say was "three quarts of raw spinach will give you as much calcium as a single 8 ounce serving of skim milk?"

No. I think what you really meant was "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but for some inexplicable reason I think that one serving of broccoli will give you more calcium than skim milk when the reality is that you need a quart of raw spinach and two entire stalks of broccoli to get close to the calcium content of a single cup of milk - and then, you'll need to take a vitamin D pill on top of that because broccoli and spinach have none."

It's OK to say "wow, I was completely wrong about that." You don't need to save your ego by trying to play it off as a typing error.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    milk.jpg

I only have one question (and I think you know what it is): how do you milk a cat? Won't they claw the hell out of your forearms if you even try?

'Oh you can milk anything with nipples.... I have nipples Greg, could you milk me?'
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with those saying to avoid the hormones in milk. It's the same thing with poultry. I don't want my kids getting unnecessary hormones meant to bulk up animals . . . same thing with GMOs -- there is a reason they are banned in a lot of countries.
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Good Lord! Who knew milk could be so controversial? Drink it or don't. There are always alternative to meet your needs whether it's taste, nutrition, culinary, etc. I personally don't like animal milk. Never have. Whole milk makes me gag. And I've noticed as I've gotten older that it's harder for me to digest. If i get on a cereal kick them I use almond milk. But as far as my calcium I would say the bulk of it comes from cheese, yogurt, fish, and stir fry vegetables.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I drink soymilk because I don't want any blood, pus or added hormones and antibiotics while getting my calcium. I also get in lots of fruits and veggies to get calcium. Cow's milk also makes me sick, which makes sense because it's from an animal.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    To get the calcium in one cup of milk you need:

4 entire stalks of broccoli
    3 quarts of spinach
    4 cups of collard greens
    3 cups of kale
    3 cups of turnip greens

And you need to find another source for your vitamin D since none of these greens contain any vitamin D.
  • favreervaf
    favreervaf Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Anyone see forks over knives and the major university studies on casein?

http://www.drheise.com/milk.htm

That a good site too.
  • favreervaf
    Options
    To get the calcium in one cup of milk you need:

4 entire stalks of broccoli
    3 quarts of spinach
    4 cups of collard greens
    3 cups of kale
    3 cups of turnip greens

And you need to find another source for your vitamin D since none of these greens contain any vitamin D.

Cool, go in the sun.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

That a good site too.

Casein gives me some nasty sinus issues speaking from personal experience. No studies involved.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    milk.jpg

I only have one question (and I think you know what it is): how do you milk a cat? Won't they claw the hell out of your forearms if you even try?

'Oh you can milk anything with nipples.... I have nipples Greg, could you milk me?'

:D
  • favreervaf
    Options

That a good site too.

Casein gives me some nasty sinus issues speaking from personal experience. No studies involved.

Yes that is one of the things, its shown to cause mucus increases, and respiratory inflammation.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Ah, a milk thread - I wondered how long it would be before it plunged down this route.

Most northern european cultures have been dairying long enough to adapt to ill effects of milk products. If you are lactose intolerant, that is fair enough, and I do believe that there is a lot of undiagnosed low-level lactose intolerance about.

As for the 'expert' on dairy farming up there - what a joke.

I used to be bothered to explain rudimentary dairying to people on these threads, but I can no longer be bothered. Go to a farm once in a while, theres plenty about.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Ah, a milk thread - I wondered how long it would be before it plunged down this route.

Most northern european cultures have been dairying long enough to adapt to ill effects of milk products. If you are lactose intolerant, that is fair enough, and I do believe that there is a lot of undiagnosed low-level lactose intolerance about.

As for the 'expert' on dairy farming up there - what a joke.

I used to be bothered to explain rudimentary dairying to people on these threads, but I can no longer be bothered. Go to a farm once in a while, theres plenty about.

Old Mcgreggor's farm = not where most milk for human consumption comes from.
  • SteveJWatson
    Options
    I know plenty about where milk comes from. I am a farmer. I've been to plenty dairy farms in my time - my godfather used to have a 150 cow unit....
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I know plenty about where milk comes from. I am a farmer. I've been to plenty dairy farms in my time - my godfather used to have a 150 cow unit....

Congrats?
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    A serving of broccoli has more calcium in it than a serving of milk. As an exercise physiologist,

This is an absolute and total lie. An "exercise physiologist" shouldn't be spreading such blatantly wrong information.

A cup of chopped broccoli has 43 mg calcium and no vitamin D.

A cup of skim milk has 316 mg calcium and 25% of the RDA for vitamin D.

Any kind of "physiologist" should also know the relationship between calcium absorption and vitamin D as well.

An entire stalk of broccoli still only has 71 mg calcium. In other words, a single 110 calorie cup of milk has over four times the calcium of an entire stalk of broccoli.

Please, don't repeat this lie again.

I know the relationship between vitamin D and calcium - what I should of said was a few servings of broccoli and other leafy greens, a days worth of greens with calcium in them.

Oh so what you really meant to say was "four entire stalks of broccoli will give you almost as much calcium as a single 8 ounce serving of skim milk"?

Or maybe what you meant to say was "three quarts of raw spinach will give you as much calcium as a single 8 ounce serving of skim milk?"

No. I think what you really meant was "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but for some inexplicable reason I think that one serving of broccoli will give you more calcium than skim milk when the reality is that you need a quart of raw spinach and two entire stalks of broccoli to get close to the calcium content of a single cup of milk - and then, you'll need to take a vitamin D pill on top of that because broccoli and spinach have none."

It's OK to say "wow, I was completely wrong about that." You don't need to save your ego by trying to play it off as a typing error.

:laugh:

I just did a bit of research but couldn't find anything about IGF-1 in cows NOT treated with synthetic hormones. I buy my milk from local dairies which don't treat cows with hormones.

Do you have any research to back up your claim? [I'm guessing not or you would have already posted it.]
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    A serving of broccoli has more calcium in it than a serving of milk. As an exercise physiologist, and nutritional apprentice I don't think milk isn't good. We are the only species to drink milk after infancy. And it isn't even human milk, it's from a pregnant cow. Cow's milk is made for a baby cow to grow larger in a short amount of time. It has IGF-1 factors, and 15 different variations of androgenic hormones. Puss cells, and casien which is known to cause cancer in large amounts. This is probably the reason for early development in children in schools, acne, inflammation, and other problems.

Also the only species to wipe our butts after pooping.

and the only ones to cook our food,

Better stop that right now!
  • SteveJWatson
    Options

Congrats?

So; the point is, most milk at least in this country comes from dairy farms, I think the average size is about 100 - 150 cows, a big one is 300 or so. cows are usually grazed in the summer, housed in the winter and fed silage and concentrates/wholecrop. Dairy farmers are experts at getting the most possible out of their grass because margins in milk are tight and the longer cows are housed, the more it costs to keep them.

I dunno a 'McGregor', but I assume that you meant family farms as opposed to big, indoor cow units, which are really unusual in Europe as a whole.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Congrats?

So; the point is, most milk at least in this country comes from dairy farms, I think the average size is about 100 - 150 cows, a big one is 300 or so. cows are usually grazed in the summer, housed in the winter and fed silage and concentrates/wholecrop. Dairy farmers are experts at getting the most possible out of their grass because margins in milk are tight and the longer cows are housed, the more it costs to keep them.

I dunno a 'McGregor', but I assume that you meant family farms as opposed to big, indoor cow units, which are really unusual in Europe as a whole.

So much for your "couldn't be bothered" statement.
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Organic Milk drinker here. Lactose free & fat free variety. I honestly use milk to 'wet' my cereal (weird I know) or have one glass a when I mix it with my protein powder. Almond milk will kill me...really wish people would stop pushing it. Some of us out here have almond/nut allergies. Soy milk makes me itchy sometimes. The only time I would encourage people not to drink milk is if they have a dairy allergy, the lactose free variety doesn't work with stomach issues or they want to see if removing dairy will help with stopping/reducing the longevity of sicknesses that deal with phlegm or mucus production. At the end of the day we need pay attention to our bodies and do what works for our health and fitness goals.

Have there been any studies showing that consuming milk past infancy cause major health issues? Please point me to that study (preferably more than one) especially if it is peer reviewed. Super plus points if it involves many countries and was done over a nice stretch of time. :-D
This discussion has been closed.