Signature Foods for Where You Live?

Options

Replies

• iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the posts, might be a repeat- Vernors.
    Best ginger ale ever. They age it in a barrel. Mmmmm...

img-vernors-group-shot_154226614034.jpg

This is one of the major things I miss from our time in Michigan. Bell's Pizza in East Lansing had it as one of their fountain sodas.
  • AhlaWahda
    AhlaWahda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Lambsteak:
    recept.1602.460x345.jpg

Smörgåstårta:
    [img]http://komatsuforest.com/sv/LocalMedia/Högtider/Smörgåstårta_400.jpg[/img]

Pytt-i-panna:
    115402.jpg

Köttbullar & makaroner:
    imagehandler.ashx?id=4851676&height=312&width=468&quality=75

Plättar:
    ri_12981_3.jpg

Ostkaka:
    ostkaka.jpg

Do you know in which country I live?
    Are you in Sweden, perhaps?

You guessed right! :bigsmile:
  • sirduckbutt
    sirduckbutt Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Roast pork with potatoes and parsley sauce is a must in Denmark ;)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    WELL I'M FROM THE GOOD OLD UK AND LIVE IN YORKSHIRE.....WE ARE FAMOUS FOR OUR YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS.....THEY WERE INVENTED IN 1737. TRADITIONALLY SERVED AS A STARTER, THE IDEA WAS TO FILL YOU UP AT MEAL TIMES....ESPECIALLY THE KIDS....SO THEY DIDN'T EAT TOO MUCH MEAT. IT WAS MADE COMMERCIALLY (FROZEN) IN 1995 BECAUSE MORE WOMEN WERE WORKING AND HAD LESS TIME TO MAKE THEM. IT HAS TAKEN UNTIL 2010 FOR YORKSHIRE PUDDING TO BE RECOGNISED AS THE "BEST THING TO COME OUT OF YORKSHIRE"

I MAKE SOME CRACKING ONES..........SO BIG THEY KNOCK ON THE OVEN DOOR TO COME OUT............LOL

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Me too!!

I was about to post about the good old Yorkshire Pudding. Wonderful with onion gravy as a starter, or as an accompaniment to Bangers & Mash or a sunday roast dinner.

I saw a fantastic recipe on TV yesterday for sweet yorkshire puddings with caremelised apples, vanilla ice cream and toffee sauce:

http://scrapbook.channel4.com/bookmarkBar/51518687e4b0d4dcd2a5a169

Then there's Wensleydale cheese
    Sticky Parkin (a dense loaf cake made with treacle, ginger, cinnamon, oats etc.... traditionally served on/around Bonfire night)
    Rhubarb (The rhubarb triangle in Yorkshire is the worlds biggest producer of forced rhubarb).
    Pikelets/ drop scones (Like thick pancakes)
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    TexMex...
  • jumpingsparrow
    Options
    Michigan - Fricano's Pizza. THE BEST THIN CRUST PIZZA EVER.

Arizona - Definitely the Mexican food.

California - Fish tacos from Wahoo's in Huntington Beach, fried chicken from Muggie's in Long Beach, and Pink's hot dogs in LA. As for the person who said Mexican food - I was extremely disappointed while I lived there, It was awful.

South Carolina - Seafood for days. Of course the shrimp and grits and she crab soup are most popular.

I move too much.
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Me too!!

I was about to post about the good old Yorkshire Pudding. Wonderful with onion gravy as a starter, or as an accompaniment to Bangers & Mash or a sunday roast dinner.

I saw a fantastic recipe on TV yesterday for sweet yorkshire puddings with caremelised apples, vanilla ice cream and toffee sauce:

http://scrapbook.channel4.com/bookmarkBar/51518687e4b0d4dcd2a5a169

Then there's Wensleydale cheese
    Sticky Parkin (a dense loaf cake made with treacle, ginger, cinnamon, oats etc.... traditionally served on/around Bonfire night)
    Rhubarb (The rhubarb triangle in Yorkshire is the worlds biggest producer of forced rhubarb).
    Pikelets/ drop scones (Like thick pancakes)

Sweet Yorkshire Pudding? Thats sacriledge for sure is that!

Parkin on the other hand - I could eat that all day....
  • AhlaWahda
    AhlaWahda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    absolut3-a934a3.jpg

absolut-unique-promo.jpg
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Chicago. Deep dish pizza. Yum.

ETA: Italian Beef.
  • LovelyLaura2321
    LovelyLaura2321 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    There are no pretzels like Philly pretzels.

Also, Hoagies were invented in Philly.

^^^this!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Chicken Lemon Rice soup and cheesecake from this restaurant called Round the Clock.

People in this area really love gyros and Italian beef sandwiches.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    LOUISIANA!!!

Boiled crawfish
    th?id=H.4551163063500980&pid=15.1

Gumbo
    th?id=H.5025198537179651&pid=15.1

Tabasco Sauce
    th?id=H.5051848794505549&pid=15.1
  • bsalvato
    bsalvato Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    NJ has pork roll. Though it's recently made it's way to other parts of the country.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    The origional Big Bob Gibsons BBQ
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Scouse!!
    If you're from England you'll know where I am ;) surprisingly I've never had it.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I live in Pittsburgh, and one of our signature foods is from a place called Primanti Brothers where they put your meat, coleslaw and fries all togeher on a sandwich .. no side dishes! We also are the home of Heinz Ketchup so if you use any other kind, it's pure blashphemy .. plus it's the best anyway so why would we??? We also like what I like to call "hunky" foods - things like pierogies and pigs in the blanket (a/k/a stuffed cabbage). Oh, and french fries are a topping for our salads .. it's how we roll.

I love the visuals!

primantis_zps85f635ec.jpg

How does your town roll?

We have this exact sandwich here in CLE, but the place is called Panini's...it was one of my go-to drunk foods :drinker:
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Portland Oregon, famous for beer, and Tillamook cheese! Oh! And our Voodoo Doughnuts. ;)
    Voodoo donuts, possibly the best donuts in the world!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options
    I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA so I know what Primanti Bros. is and its great! I also have done the fries on salads (and its amazing!). I love the Kielbasi sandwiches at the hockey arena, Quaker Steak and Lube wings, and De Luca's in the strip for breakfast. All of these are calorie disasters.

I now live in Cleveland, OH (ugh) and we have a restaurant called Melt and they serve amazing, huge grilled cheese sandwiches. They make all different kinds with different fillers and everyone of them has been amazing. We have not been there in 3 months (nothing is calorie friendly) but I will go back someday.

DO NOT hate on CLE!!! jk :)

I haven't been to Melt yet, but I am DYING to go!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options
    double post