Why hasn't the entire world..

Options

Replies

• funkylemur
    funkylemur Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    They do on most of the UK menus now, i think theyre trying to tackle an obesity epidemic !!! How late ?!!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    [Seriously this - how do you think you're little local mom&pop restaurant is going to get all that done? And be accurate. As nice as it would be it just isn't practical for anyone but the bigger chains. It seem like it would be easy enough, but really I believe there's a lot of stuff they actually have to do to get that done - stuff that costs money that smaller places might not be able to budget for.

This website has a FREE nutrition calculator, and you can find others all over the internet. All ANY restaurant would have to would be to input the ingredients and then it spits out the nutrition info. I don't think that would cost anything but time to input it.

This is a great idea, that would not be hard or costly at all to implement. They wouldn't even need to print new menus. They'd just need to print a few nutrition sheets to hand out to customers who wanted them "available upon request". I don't think that's too much to ask, even for a mom & pop diner.

I'm afraid that when you run your own business time is actually money.

and the manager, GM or whomever can take a few hours spread out over as much time as he needs to sit down and plug all the info into MFP

simple.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i think people just need to take a few extra minutes to order, scan the menu over and make the right decision. ask what things are cooked in, request no added butter or oils and go from there. i always guestimate when i go out, and try to go with something that doesn't seem too damaging. plus like others have said with small places, it could cost them more money. i like a local pizza place that has flatbreads but their menu always changes seasonally, bc they use local produce on their salads and pizzas. so if they always had to change it every time, espcially as a small business, it may not be a good idea for them to do that. but i understand where you are coming from, it is a good idea to post nutritional information to help people make better choices. when it comes down to it, people need to decide for themselves if they are going to go with the grilled chicken salad, or the huge greasy burger.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Pretty sure people were just fine 100's of years ago without nutritional information. (Please don't say food was healthier back then because it wasn't.)

^This!

um... it was.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I'm really surprised at the comments on this thread. Is it "attack OP day," and I didn't get the memo? Jesus.

Not sure why people on a calorie counting website would be arguing against restaurants putting nutritional information on their menus.

Yes, I know what is good for me, and I know what is bad for me. However, that menu doesn't tell me that my salmon is basically just deep fried in butter. That MATTERS. How many times do we see stories on "Eat This, Not That" and the nutritional value of some things absolutely blows us away. Salad from Wendy's 900 calories! WHAT?! To the every day citizen, they believe that is a healthy choice, and without any nutritional information, they have no way to determine that....unless they join a site like, oh, IDK, MFP. Then they begin to learn how calories can be easily hidden in foods. Likewise, people will never learn how to eat sensible without some type of guide easily provided. Who cares if this is somewhat passing on the blame for being fat onto the restaurants.....it is A FACT people are fatter than they used to be, and as a society, it should be helped/lessened.

Also, I'm quite sure when I figure out the calories in food I prepare I calculate-1 tbsp of butter, 4 oz of chicken, 1 cup of tomatoes, 1 tbsp of salt....how HARD IS THAT?!??!??!! Restaurants don't need a gamut of lawyers and scientists...that's so absurd.

Seriously, you guys are a wee bit insane today.

Really? You don't understand why not everyone agrees with you? Have you read this thread? People do explain themselves.

Also, you make the assumption that the obesity problem in society is due to restaurant portions. Let me tell you, I am obese and I rarely eat out, so my obesity is not due to restaurants. Not everyone goes out to eat and it's narrow minded and naive to think that a few chains failing to post calorie counts is the problem. Or that posting calorie counts on menus actually WILL solve the problem. This issue here is that YOU don't want to take responsibility for your own choices.

sorry - restaurant portions have a HUGE impact on obesity in this country.

i know y'all wanna go on and on about personal responsibility and that the country has no business making us healthier and safer... but it's sheer lunacy. every other civilized country in the WORLD already does all this. the healthiest places in the country already do this (NYC/LA).

are my "freedoms" infringed because burger king displays calorie content? are my "freedoms" infringed because companies are forced to include ingredient lists on packages? **** NO. In fact, I've got MORE freedom of choice because I'm an empowered consumer. When restaurants aren't regulated, when regulation in general doesn't exist, the only thing that happens is that the people in power (whether that be in restaurants or any other business) will get richer by scamming and stomping on consumers like you and me.

What the hell is WRONG with a little human decency being forced on billion dollar corporations? It's this ridiculous "American Dream" notion. People don't want to make things harder for businesses and corporations because they hang on to a ludicrous shred of hope that they'll some day be there themselves, and at THAT point, they won't want to face those restrictions and regulations.

Well guess what? Cold truth coming at you. If you're not a millionaire right now, odds are astronomically low that you ever will be. So it makes literally NO sense to support ideas that will do nothing but take away any shred of power you've got and give it to the people looking to screw you for their next buck on top of the millions they already make.

You're being scammed. And you're doing it to yourself.

Calorie counts in restaurants are a good thing.

/end rant

One time, I stood around outside of a Cheesecake Factory. I was waiting for some employees to grab me, drag me in, and force me to eat their high-calorie foods. Alas, it was an exercise in futility.

Because no one is putting a gun to my head and forcing me to go into a restaurant.

I don't care HOW big a restaurant corporation is, YOU and YOU ALONE make that decision to walk in there and eat. YOU decide what lifestyle you want to live. I support labeling on grocery store items, and basic foodstuffs because that's usually the only option for a lot of people to eat.

I am NOT being scammed, because I RARELY eat at restaurants, and when I do, I know that what I am eating is unknown and by default, likely very unhealthy.

Loved your rant about the American Dream, like it has anything to do with this thread.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    If i go out to out to eat I already have it in my head what I may want so I just look up the nutritional values online and take the best guess. Honestly it not the restaurant responsibility anyway. And if i go out spur of the moment i just eat part and take home the rest

this is what I do as well, it is discuting what the levels are for food you could make healthy at home but eat out. I make them make modifications when I eat out. Like butter on the side for my veggies (or skip because I hate butter on my veggies), tell them I do not want salt added, being gluten free they cannot use MSG on my food so that helps as well.

In the end I go out maybe once a month but I do plan ahead and make informed choices BEFORE I go out.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

why? myfitnesspal's food calculator is free - as someone else pointed out.

so much hardship, testing and analytics...

menus change daily though...and often arent printed at all
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

What the hell is WRONG with a little human decency being forced on billion dollar corporations?

Odds are, if you're eating at a restaurant chain that is part of a billion dollar corporation, then you're already hopelessly doomed from a health standpoint. It's all the smaller mom and pop restaurants that will be negatively impacted. They will especially feel the burden if calorie counts require any kind of testing or analytics, as opposed to just adding up the calories of the ingredients.

And what about daily specials?

Since it's so easy, you should be able to do it yourself without issue.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I'm really surprised at the comments on this thread. Is it "attack OP day," and I didn't get the memo? Jesus.

Not sure why people on a calorie counting website would be arguing against restaurants putting nutritional information on their menus.

Yes, I know what is good for me, and I know what is bad for me. However, that menu doesn't tell me that my salmon is basically just deep fried in butter. That MATTERS. How many times do we see stories on "Eat This, Not That" and the nutritional value of some things absolutely blows us away. Salad from Wendy's 900 calories! WHAT?! To the every day citizen, they believe that is a healthy choice, and without any nutritional information, they have no way to determine that....unless they join a site like, oh, IDK, MFP. Then they begin to learn how calories can be easily hidden in foods. Likewise, people will never learn how to eat sensible without some type of guide easily provided. Who cares if this is somewhat passing on the blame for being fat onto the restaurants.....it is A FACT people are fatter than they used to be, and as a society, it should be helped/lessened.

Also, I'm quite sure when I figure out the calories in food I prepare I calculate-1 tbsp of butter, 4 oz of chicken, 1 cup of tomatoes, 1 tbsp of salt....how HARD IS THAT?!??!??!! Restaurants don't need a gamut of lawyers and scientists...that's so absurd.

Really? You don't understand why not everyone agrees with you? Have you read this thread? People do explain themselves.

Also, you make the assumption that the obesity problem in society is due to restaurant portions. Let me tell you, I am obese and I rarely eat out, so my obesity is not due to restaurants. Not everyone goes out to eat and it's narrow minded and naive to think that a few chains failing to post calorie counts is the problem. Or that posting calorie counts on menus actually WILL solve the problem. This issue here is that YOU don't want to take responsibility for your own choices.

i know y'all wanna go on and on about personal responsibility and that the country has no business making us healthier and safer... but it's sheer lunacy. every other civilized country in the WORLD already does all this. the healthiest places in the country already do this (NYC/LA).

are my "freedoms" infringed because burger king displays calorie content? are my "freedoms" infringed because companies are forced to include ingredient lists on packages? **** NO. In fact, I've got MORE freedom of choice because I'm an empowered consumer. When restaurants aren't regulated, when regulation in general doesn't exist, the only thing that happens is that the people in power (whether that be in restaurants or any other business) will get richer by scamming and stomping on consumers like you and me.

What the hell is WRONG with a little human decency being forced on billion dollar corporations? It's this ridiculous "American Dream" notion. People don't want to make things harder for businesses and corporations because they hang on to a ludicrous shred of hope that they'll some day be there themselves, and at THAT point, they won't want to face those restrictions and regulations.

Well guess what? Cold truth coming at you. If you're not a millionaire right now, odds are astronomically low that you ever will be. So it makes literally NO sense to support ideas that will do nothing but take away any shred of power you've got and give it to the people looking to screw you for their next buck on top of the millions they already make.

/end rant

One time, I stood around outside of a Cheesecake Factory. I was waiting for some employees to grab me, drag me in, and force me to eat their high-calorie foods. Alas, it was an exercise in futility.

Because no one is putting a gun to my head and forcing me to go into a restaurant.

I don't care HOW big a restaurant corporation is, YOU and YOU ALONE make that decision to walk in there and eat. YOU decide what lifestyle you want to live. I support labeling on grocery store items, and basic foodstuffs because that's usually the only option for a lot of people to eat.

I am NOT being scammed, because I RARELY eat at restaurants, and when I do, I know that what I am eating is unknown and by default, likely very unhealthy.

Loved your rant about the American Dream, like it has anything to do with this thread.

you've never gone to a business meeting at a restaurant? there's never been a situation in your life where you were forced to go to a restaurant? you don't go out to celebrate anniversaries? birthdays? other special occasions?

I don't eat out very often either, but when I do, I absolutely appreciate knowing how things are prepared and the caloric content. I don't see who that HURTS, but I can see how it would HELP.

who does that HURT?
  • DarkDiva2005
    Options
    I agree that it should be available. Not even necessarily for just weight management, but for any person who may have an allergy to an ingredient or what not. At the movie theater I used to work at we didn't have nutritional information right next to the item, but we had a binder in the back that listed all the ingredients and nutritional facts. That way if a person so desired they could request the info. I went to a diner today and asked if they had the nutritional information and the waitress looked at me like I had two heads. It made me sad :(
  • CoachReddy
    Options

What the hell is WRONG with a little human decency being forced on billion dollar corporations?

Odds are, if you're eating at a restaurant chain that is part of a billion dollar corporation, then you're already hopelessly doomed from a health standpoint. It's all the smaller mom and pop restaurants that will be negatively impacted. They will especially feel the burden if calorie counts require any kind of testing or analytics, as opposed to just adding up the calories of the ingredients.

And what about daily specials?

Since it's so easy, you should be able to do it yourself without issue.

ahhh but i don't know all the ingredients that go into a dish now do i? not NEAR as well as the people who make it - don't you think?
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    haha. food WAS way healthier back then. There were no GMOs or chemicals pumped into everything we eat. processed foods didn't exist.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

/end rant

you've never gone to a business meeting at a restaurant? there's never been a situation in your life where you were forced to go to a restaurant? you don't go out to celebrate anniversaries? birthdays? other special occasions?

I don't eat out very often either, but when I do, I absolutely appreciate knowing how things are prepared and the caloric content. I don't see who that HURTS, but I can see how it would HELP.

who does that HURT?

When in doubt, order the damn salad, dry.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

menus change daily though...and often arent printed at all

so they can guesstimate - i guarantee their guess is going to be more accurate than mine.

listen man, I've worked at small hole in the wall restaurants with two employees and I've worked at planet hollywood with over 1000 seats - biggest restaurant in the country. at BOTH of those places, there is plenty of downtime, especially for the people in charge. yeah it may take some work at the beginning, but once you've done it once, it's done forever except for daily specials/changes/etc, in which case it takes a few extra minutes. It's easily done.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

/end rant

who does that HURT?

When in doubt, order the damn salad, dry.

who does it hurt to do this? and tell me how it hurts them.

because from my point of view all it can do is help consumers know what they're eating, and thus there's potential to combat the obesity epidemic and potential to lessen the strain on our healthcare system. is that a guarantee? hell no, of course not. but I'd rather have a country that TRIES to help its people than a country that says "we don't give a ****"
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with ChantelleFowl about how it should be easy. If the menu is relatively the same, how hard is it to manage to put nutrition info on there? You do it once and it's done, you stick to your portion sizes and you won't have a problem (and what kind of restaurant doesn't stick to portion sizes when you're serving food? I'd be super annoyed if my friend got a larger bowl of pasta than me lol). I live in a capital city, I've also lived in a small country town, I'm sure there's inexpensive ways to advertise the information.

What about people with allergies? Surely that would save them a few potential law suits as well?

Between my husband and my son, we have a handful of food allergies. We never assume a dish is allergen free even if it doesn't list any of them in the description of the dish. We ask our server and if they don't know we ask them to find someone who does.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

ahhh but i don't know all the ingredients that go into a dish now do i? not NEAR as well as the people who make it - don't you think?

If enforcement centers around a "guestimate" then I'd rather just see the ingredient list. Or maybe just learn about food and learn to have a better dialog about food. That seared chilean seabass would be great, but OH it's in a bath of velouté. Maybe skip the velouté, right? I mean, let's not be dense.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    Coach coach coach.
    because from my point of view all it can do is help consumers know what they're eating, and thus there's potential to combat the obesity epidemic and potential to lessen the strain on our healthcare system. is that a guarantee? hell no, of course not. but I'd rather have a country that TRIES to help its people than a country that says "we don't give a ****"

Why do you come in on page whatever we're on ....p9....and reiterate what's been said already? Do you even read threads? Or just randomly highjack everything you find?

MORE NANNY STATE. Yay. That's what this country needs. More handholding on something as ridiculous as not knowing that too much food makes U FAT.

Obesity is not caused by restaurants.

Unless you believe alcoholism is caused by grocery stores and mom and pop liquor stores.

That's it.

tumblr_m651zkNSkz1rrslas.gif
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with ChantelleFowl about how it should be easy. If the menu is relatively the same, how hard is it to manage to put nutrition info on there? You do it once and it's done, you stick to your portion sizes and you won't have a problem (and what kind of restaurant doesn't stick to portion sizes when you're serving food? I'd be super annoyed if my friend got a larger bowl of pasta than me lol). I live in a capital city, I've also lived in a small country town, I'm sure there's inexpensive ways to advertise the information.

What about people with allergies? Surely that would save them a few potential law suits as well?

Between my husband and my son, we have a handful of food allergies. We never assume a dish is allergen free even if it doesn't list any of them in the description of the dish. We ask our server and if they don't know we ask them to find someone who does.

You're responsible about it, YOU ask.
  • melbournemummy79
    Options
    I would say that it would just take too much time and be wildly inaccurate most of the time. Any given kitchen will have several cooks and they will each to their own take on a meal. People generally arnt going to whip out the spoon to measure the olive oil in a pan or the dressing on a salad. A lot of cafes change their menus on a daily or weekly basis and having to sit down and do the nutritional information each time...omg
    Then of course you have people actually seeing the hidden calories in food and possibly being turned off and you dont want that.
    Just some food for thought.
    Not attacking either... I have worked in kitchens on and off for 10 years and just thought I would share.
    if you are concerned about the calorie content of food you can pretty easily work out most meals and the waiter/ress would only be too happy to help you with that most of the time... ie. how its cooked, what goes into this and that. If they dont know they can always ask the cook.
    I lost count of how many people I had to speak to about food intolerances, dietary requirements... and generally just trying to be helpful re: recipes and what goes into this and that.