Why hasn't the entire world..

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    although i respect everyone opinion. i am shocked there is debate with this. everything is labelled. imagine buying a car without knowing the engine specs. imagine buying clothes without knowing the materials. imagine taking medicines without knowing whats in it. it would be great to know what we are eating!

MOST people buy cars without knowing the engine specs--they never check. most people buy clothes without knowing what material they are made of. Most people don't know what's in the drugs they take either-so I get your point BUT I don't think that much would change even with the knowledge.

It's sad, but I think you're exactly right. Avoiding something just because it's not great for you is often trumped by convenience. Especially when it comes to food-the effects are cumulative and harder to see.

Correct. As I stated earlier in this thread, I did the nutritional data in my small catering company and restaurant and was asked for it a total of 6 times in 8 years!! The people here are the exception. The chains are doing it for lawsuit avoidance.

Do nutritionals showing huge calories stop anyone from going to Cheesecake Factory or Bahama Breeze?? The vast majority of the customers don't care!! If they did, they'd penalize the ones who didn't have it available and promote the ones who did with their trade.

Cheesecake Factory with the highest single dish calorie counts is growing like gangbusters!! Why?? The responsibility for overeating is with the eater not the restaurant. As someone else said, no one is holding a gun to anyone's head and making them eat in these places!!

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/07/news/la-heb-cutting-restaurant-calories-says-20130207
    Cardello and colleagues looked at 21 of the nation’s largest restaurant chains -- fast-food companies such as McDonald’s and Taco Bell, and sit-down companies including Olive Garden and Outback Steakhouse. Those companies account for $102 billion in annual sales.

From 2006 to 2011, lower-calorie food and drink outperformed other choices in 17 of those chains, the report said.

This news comes as the federal government prepares to finalize a mandate for nutrition labeling, including calorie counts, on the menus of restaurant chains with more than 20 outlets.

That is one of the many efforts -- public and private -- to bring the obesity epidemic under control.

so first off, it actually may work to encourage lower calorie choices, and secondly, mom and pop shops won't be affected by the new law anyway.

sounds good to me!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory with the highest single dish calorie counts is growing like gangbusters!! Why?? The responsibility for overeating is with the eater not the restaurant. As someone else said, no one is holding a gun to anyone's head and making them eat in these places!!

Are you sure CF has the highest? 'Cause I know this place that does deep fried macaroni and cheese balls with bacon...

You know I'm not completely positive but they have a few single dishes that are pushing 2000 cals!!
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

This news comes as the federal government prepares to finalize a mandate for nutrition labeling, including calorie counts, on the menus of restaurant chains with more than 20 outlets.

See, and I'm completely on board for chains like that having the info available. Because if I'm eating out, I'm going to go to something more upscale than Applebees. For the person who eats on the run frequently, I can definitely see the merit of nutritional info on the menus; if it's a regular part of your life, and you are food-conscious, then you'd need the info to help you fit those meals or foods into your day.

edited because I suck at cherry picking from posts to quote!
  • karenhray7
    Options

Are you sure CF has the highest? 'Cause I know this place that does deep fried macaroni and cheese balls with bacon...

You know I'm not completely positive but they have a few single dishes that are pushing 2000 cals!!

That. Is impressive.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

That. Is impressive.

...deliciously impressive...
  • mmapags
    Options
    although i respect everyone opinion. i am shocked there is debate with this. everything is labelled. imagine buying a car without knowing the engine specs. imagine buying clothes without knowing the materials. imagine taking medicines without knowing whats in it. it would be great to know what we are eating!

MOST people buy cars without knowing the engine specs--they never check. most people buy clothes without knowing what material they are made of. Most people don't know what's in the drugs they take either-so I get your point BUT I don't think that much would change even with the knowledge.

It's sad, but I think you're exactly right. Avoiding something just because it's not great for you is often trumped by convenience. Especially when it comes to food-the effects are cumulative and harder to see.

Correct. As I stated earlier in this thread, I did the nutritional data in my small catering company and restaurant and was asked for it a total of 6 times in 8 years!! The people here are the exception. The chains are doing it for lawsuit avoidance.

Do nutritionals showing huge calories stop anyone from going to Cheesecake Factory or Bahama Breeze?? The vast majority of the customers don't care!! If they did, they'd penalize the ones who didn't have it available and promote the ones who did with their trade.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/07/news/la-heb-cutting-restaurant-calories-says-20130207
    Cardello and colleagues looked at 21 of the nation’s largest restaurant chains -- fast-food companies such as McDonald’s and Taco Bell, and sit-down companies including Olive Garden and Outback Steakhouse. Those companies account for $102 billion in annual sales.

From 2006 to 2011, lower-calorie food and drink outperformed other choices in 17 of those chains, the report said.

That is one of the many efforts -- public and private -- to bring the obesity epidemic under control.

so first off, it actually may work to encourage lower calorie choices, and secondly, mom and pop shops won't be affected by the new law anyway.

sounds good to me!

Honestly, if were talking about the chains, I think this is part of a positive evolution. When they had to post nutritionals, a certain segment of their customer base could finally see the 1500 calories salad for what it was and found a way to make better choices. With the fast food segment, this is more pronounced. So, in a way, it's a good thing.

For a chain like Olive Garden and Cheesecake Factory, if they thought is would make a significant difference in sales, they would promote it. I have not seen that as yet. I have contacts in both these companies from a past life (CF and Darden, the parent of Olive Garden and Bahama Breeze as well as Smokey Bones and Red Lobster as well as Brinker the parent company of Chili's and Macaroni Grill). For the most part, they don't promote healthier choices with their marketing because the business case has not proven with their test marketing. It has in the fast food segment but not with some companies in the casual dining segment.

Bear in mind, these people are not in business to change the world. They want return for their stockholders and if they thought healthy menu choices would do it, they would move that way in a heartbeat! They market does not demand it in their segment and in the fine dining segment. Fast food? Yes. But do you see Domino's going out of business with their Cheesy Bread, now with double cheese? Whether you like it or not, they are giving their customers what they want.

FTR, I don't eat at CF or Olive Garden or the like. I personally don't want to spend 3000 calories at one meal. I am using my choice to determine my diet and how I spend my money. I suggest others do the same.
  • courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    In New York, they have to at certain restaurants. Not sure what the deciding factor is, in terms of what type of restaurant it is, but any chain food places (Cheesecake Factory, Chilis, Starbucks, etc) have to post the calories on the menu. It's so great I think!! Really encourages you to make better choices when dining out. I hope to see this become more widespread!!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    too many quotes.

mmapags - totally fair, but Dominos DOES now offer gluten free pizzas, and other "healthier" options. Olive Garden has a "Lighter Italian Fare) section. In fact all chains, including CF have a section of their menu like this - so it must have made business sense to create them, no? obviously there's SOME sort of demand.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

ETA: mmapags, I like you.

Back back!! I saw him first
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

sounds good to me!

A large portion of the increase is because many of the lower calorie choices also appear on the Value Menu. Not just the McDs and Wendys 99 cent menu (where I've learned to live) but in the middle quality chains as well. IHOP has a 7 for $7 menu that includes a lean, leather steak along with eggs, bacon and hash browns. Skip the hash browns and you've got 60+ grams of protein and like 600 cals or so. Chili's has a lean leathery sirloin as a value priced meal as well and they highlight it as part of their 2 Meals and an App for $20 special. That steak with veggies will hit you for 40 grams of protein and less than 400 cals.

I'm highlighting the meat dishes because that's what I eat but the value selections always include a lower cal, less tasty than usual salad and a lower cal, less tasty than usual chicken dish.

I'm not saying that the nutritional info isn't having the effect you want of lowering demand for high cal dishes. What I'm saying is that several factors contribute to the higher volume of low cal meals purchased. Poor economy, light bonus check and trying to lose weight has me eating every low cal value meal in SoCal. Fat bonus check and that shoe leather sirloin can kiss my *kitten* cuz I'm getting the porterhouse, baby!
  • mmapags
    Options
    too many quotes.

mmapags - totally fair, but Dominos DOES now offer gluten free pizzas, and other "healthier" options. Olive Garden has a "Lighter Italian Fare) section. In fact all chains, including CF have a section of their menu like this - so it must have made business sense to create them, no? obviously there's SOME sort of demand.

There is some pressure on them for sure. They key thing that tells the story is look at their sales figures by menu item (need to be an insider in most cases). Their higher calorie items sell best. But, that being said, it does create a problem for them both sales and image wise when a party of 6 comes in 1of them does't want the high cal selections.

Eta: A key bellwether are their developmental test kitchens where they create new menu items. I can tell you a majority of their time is not on healthier items for the most part as is evidenced by what Dave is saying about the dry steak choices on the lower calorie menu selections. If there was demand and it was important enough to them, they'd find a way to serve a nice tasty 4 oz portion of steak.

But he point remains that these thriving chains publish nutritionals and most of their customers don't care!! Not all. But, most.
  • mmapags
    Options

Back back!! I saw him first

C'mon now! There enough of big daddy to go around!! lol
  • mmapags
    Options

Why thank you love! The feeling is mutual.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    too many quotes.

Gluten free =/= "healthier" just wanted to point that out. Of course it makes business sense to appeal to the widest audience that you can--it doesn't require many special ingredients to leave off the sauce, use lower calorie sauce, or bake the chicken instead of frying it.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

In fact, if you choose from the Skinnylicious menu and split one of the lower-calorie cheesecake options with your companion, you can get a well balanced and delicious meal there for fewer calories than you might think. I did that once when I realized I had like 950 calories left for the day, and I had a very satisfying evening without going over budget.

I don't go to CF planning to gorge on cheesecake. I don't go to restaurants assuming I'm throwing caution to the winds or planning to blow a hole in my budget. Frankly I work a lot and just don't enjoy cooking more than a few nights a week. I am frugal in most things but I treat myself that way, not to the fatty foods or to expensive restaurants, just having someone else do the cooking for a change since my husband doesn't cook. I want and expect to be able to work restaurants into my normal life without it being a major calorie problem, and I can largely do so mainly because of a handful of restaurants that make their nutrition data available and/or offer light options that really are light. In fact I probably go to restaurants more since I've started losing weight. But I certainly do wish I could go to more places and try more things without having to worry about the mystery counts.
  • karenhray7
    Options
    too many quotes.

Sorry, but I have to chime in here re:Domino's gf pizza. It's really not any healthier (too tired to google the nv menu) and I know that our local branch has enough wheat contamination to make me feel the effects. Gluten free is not always completely gf. They do inform you of that fact if you order online, but I have no idea if they'd tell you that if you called in an order.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

It costs me tax dollars when people are unhealthy. I prefer that business get hurt by being irresponsible. I want proper portion sizes and menu labeling. Calories will help get portion sizes down, IMO.

so, you get to decide what "proper portion sizing" is? Screw. That. If I am going to Cheesecake Factory then I have decided that those gigantor plates full of cream covered food is the proper portion size. I couldn't care less about what you believe your tax dollars are doing.

This.

RejectReality_zps3ae4005b.gif

Restaurants don't make people fat the people who can't back their fat arses away from the table. If you want someone to be punished at least punish the right people. People who over eat and make themselves fat can take the punishment but the restaurants and the employees are not at fault. I could imagine a boss walking in and saying " sorry guys you have to look for other income because fat people have blamed us for their lack of self controll".

FYI: the majority of people won't look twice at the info. Higher calorie items will probably always sell best. Face it you are in the minority.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    ... Its call taking responsibility for what goes in your mouth.

QFT. Don't rely on others to do you work for you, get educated on what you're eating, cooking methods, and that way you can ballpark anything.

For f**cks sake, nobody's relying on others to do their work for them. They're simply saying that it would be nice if there were more information available from which to make an informed decision. They're not even saying it should be mandated- just that it would be nice. Maybe you think we should all just learn how to ballpark prices for things before we buy them, and then find out what they really cost at the end of the month when we get our bank statements? Some people may choose to manage their finances that way, but others appreciate having more detailed information available before they actually spend the money so that they can make even MORE responsible decisions and make the most of the money they DO have. It's not a difficult concept.

So how is that not relying on someone else to do the work. It would make extra work for the restaurant just because people can't use their own common sense. If you appreciate more info, fine, doesn't mean the restaurant needs to accommodate your WANT. My mom used to tell me to want in one hand and *kitten* in the other and see which one fills up faster.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I agree..

It's not that I don't know chicken is healthier than beef.. but sometimes it isn't because that chicken is swated in so much stuff that it's almost not chicken anymore. It's funny cause about half the chains do it here, and I'm likely to go to them then the ones that don't.. Then again... I like to know what is in my food. (I look up thier recipes if i'm able to also before going out)
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Why hasn't everyone in the world realized that the entire world doesn't revolve around them...?