Why hasn't the entire world..

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

ahhh but i don't know all the ingredients that go into a dish now do i? not NEAR as well as the people who make it - don't you think?

If enforcement centers around a "guestimate" then I'd rather just see the ingredient list. Or maybe just learn about food and learn to have a better dialog about food. That seared chilean seabass would be great, but OH it's in a bath of velouté. Maybe skip the velouté, right? I mean, let's not be dense.

lol i'd rather have the ingredients than a guesstimate too, but a guesstimate is what you're likely to get once this becomes law. still don't think it's a bad thing. better than nothing.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Coach coach coach.
    because from my point of view all it can do is help consumers know what they're eating, and thus there's potential to combat the obesity epidemic and potential to lessen the strain on our healthcare system. is that a guarantee? hell no, of course not. but I'd rather have a country that TRIES to help its people than a country that says "we don't give a ****"

Why do you come in on page whatever we're on ....p9....and reiterate what's been said already? Do you even read threads? Or just randomly highjack everything you find?

MORE NANNY STATE. Yay. That's what this country needs. More handholding on something as ridiculous as not knowing that too much food makes U FAT.

Obesity is not caused by restaurants.

Unless you believe alcoholism is caused by grocery stores and mom and pop liquor stores.

That's it.

tumblr_m651zkNSkz1rrslas.gif

alcohol isn't allowed to be sold in many grocery stores nationwide.

and regulation =/= nanny state. y'all crazy.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I take umbrage with the notion of forcing business owners into new regulations simply because Americans are so notoriously ignorant about food. We're so hooked on convenience foods that most Americans don't know how to really cook anything. Not knowing how to PREPARE food means you have little idea how basic, classic dishes are prepared. No wonder we're all so dumbfounded about making food choices in restaurants. Oh? Wait...you mean there's CREAM in the tomato bisque? Dur dur whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

God forbid you spend any time learning anything...
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Embraced the idea of putting nutritional information on our menus? It's so frustrating to go out for a meal and have no indication of how many calories are in each dish. I like to be informed about this stuff people! It's not going to make me leave, I'm still eating there! I'd just like to eat the best meal possible (nutrition wise).

And those restaurants who are like "no that has nothing to do with me" (I saw that on a show once).. of course, cause it's not like you sell food... to people............ or eat yourself...........................

sigh.jpg

Make a change. Request for one. Don't just expect all restaurants to post nutrition facts. Do research prior cause some restaurants post their nutrition facts online.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    seriously.... this twisted panties??? Am I really shocked? :yawn: nope
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I AGREE!! I actually eat mc donalds MORE often now that I know what i can have and still stay within my calorie budget (usually a cheeseburger but no fries or drink) when before i almost never ate it.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

alcohol isn't allowed to be sold in many grocery stores nationwide.

actually, it's only 5 or 6 states that prohibit alcohol in grocery stores
  • carrieous
    Options
    I take umbrage with the notion of forcing business owners into new regulations simply because Americans are so notoriously ignorant about food. We're so hooked on convenience foods that most Americans don't know how to really cook anything. Not knowing how to PREPARE food means you have little idea how basic, classic dishes are prepared. No wonder we're all so dumbfounded about making food choices in restaurants. Oh? Wait...you mean there's CREAM in the tomato bisque? Dur dur whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

God forbid you spend any time learning anything...

lol. Some of us work full time while also raising children and trying to get to the gym regularly. Last night my 3 year old and i got home from the gym at 815pm. We actually had leftovers last night but we dont always have leftovers so sometimes a quick drive through is better than nothing
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I gotta say I went to Panera on Saturday and was so happy to see that they had the nutrition information on their menu. It really helps one choose something that's low cal.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of blown away by how many people actually seem to think that this wouldn't be a helpful, nice thing for restaurants to do. It's not like anyone's saying they should be legislated to do this. It would just be awesome if they did. How can you argue with that?

Because I don't want to see it on my menu. If I'm going to eat away from home, it's going to be for a special occasion. And if I'm choosing to enjoy a special occasion at a restaurant I do not care, nor do I want to know the caloric breakdown of my meal; I want to enjoy my food without any sense of nagging guilt because of the macro counts I had to see on my menu.

And honestly, if you're getting the majority of your meals away from home, just stop it. Really. *jumps off of soapbox and runs like the wind*
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    I gotta say I went to Panera on Saturday and was so happy to see that they had the nutrition information on their menu. It really helps one choose something that's low cal.

And you were able to do so? At Panera? ;)
  • carrieous
    Options

We were just there last weekend and didnt see nutritional info on the menu on the wall. Do you have to ask for it?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of blown away by how many people actually seem to think that this wouldn't be a helpful, nice thing for restaurants to do. It's not like anyone's saying they should be legislated to do this. It would just be awesome if they did. How can you argue with that?

Because I don't want to see it on my menu. If I'm going to eat away from home, it's going to be for a special occasion. And if I'm choosing to enjoy a special occasion at a restaurant I do not care, nor do I want to know the caloric breakdown of my meal; I want to enjoy my food without any sense of nagging guilt because of the macro counts I had to see on my menu.

And honestly, if you're getting the majority of your meals away from home, just stop it. Really. *jumps off of soapbox and runs like the wind*

Yes this ^^^^^^

Thankfully most places I eat (UK) don't have them listed, pretty much all of Europe just like TRUSTS people to use their common sense.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

We were just there last weekend and didnt see nutritional info on the menu on the wall. Do you have to ask for it?

Their website has a complete listing of all the nutritional values for their menu.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It is fine for chain restaurants with corporate recipes, but it would be bad for cooking if individual restaurants had to do it. Nope, you can't try adjusting your recipe, because it might affect the nutrition info that we just publicized!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    haha. food WAS way healthier back then. There were no GMOs or chemicals pumped into everything we eat. processed foods didn't exist.

And yet somehow the average lifespan was 20 years shorter than it is today.

Explain
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I am so surpised by all the negativity on this thread. :noway: We are supposed to be a supportive group. :flowerforyou:

I agree with the original poster. I went to a restaurant and was very pleased they had their nutritional values available. A hamburger I would have assumed would be around 700-800 cals was actually closer to 1400 and that didn't include any sides. I was completely shocked! They didn't have these posted on their menu either. I had to ask for them and they were able to provide it. Their menu did have a symbol (can't remember what it was just now, a U or something) to inducate the menu choice was under 600 calories. I chose a U600 item and I was greatly pleased with my choice.

At any rate, I am always greatful for any means of finding the calorie info at a restaurant. :) If they don't have it, I just try to do the best I can.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    haha. food WAS way healthier back then. There were no GMOs or chemicals pumped into everything we eat. processed foods didn't exist.

Explain
    advances in medicine and technology.
  • ellygolightly
    Options
    Wow, this thread certainly blew up while I was asleep. So many opinions, so little time! Anyway, I appreciate everyone's point of view and their willingness to post so passionately. Obviously this is an issue that hits close to home, negative or positive. I am just astounded at the fact that my original post was simply wondering (not forcing, not saying everyone should do it just because I'd like to) why restaurants don't put calories on their menu.

On a forum that was built specifically for support of those who are using MyFitnessPal (A CALORIE COUNTER), I'm just a bit bewildered that its received so much negativity. I'm here because I calorie count using the app, that's my entire aim for being here, so I can control my calorie input. And again, that's exactly what MFP is for. If you use MFP and don't calorie count, that's your choice, but I fail to see the logic in chastising someone who's simply trying to do it in the most effective way possible.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Explain
    advances in medicine and technology.

You mean, the type of advances that brought you GMOS and chemicals pumped in the things we eat?

Advances in medicine and technoloy. For or against?