Women and muscle. What is your opinion?

Options

Replies

• leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    I like this:

strength-training-for-women.jpg

This I like because I can use it as a poster for what NOT to waste your time on in the gym: 1lb weights that ain't gonna do crap.

strength-training-for-women-99.jpg

HOT!

Look at the difference in their legs...
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Toned is different than muscular in my mind. Toned is fine, you don't jiggle when you wiggle, but muscular is icky to me. I have a friend who got into CrossFit and she's got man shoulders. I don't think that's sexy at all, she looked better before she started going all paelo-cross-fit crazy.

Yeah, I don't like the broad shoulder look. Not for me. But I will say, thanks to some pics an MFP friend posted a while back...some of those girls from crossfit are pretty dang hot! And if you saw what they do, you'd freak! I know I did. They are amazing!
  • NRSPAM
    Options
    I like this:

strength-training-for-women.jpg

This I like because I can use it as a poster for what NOT to waste your time on in the gym: 1lb weights that ain't gonna do crap.

HOT!

Look at the difference in their legs...

Yes! This looks amazing! And before I saw your comment, I was thinking, what are those little bitty weights supposed to do? Lolol... :laugh: The second pic is HOT!!! Hoping to get there some day! :happy:
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    athletic,brunette,fitness,muscular,sexy,sexylegs-338fb821fa93d48230431535c65b02a8_h.jpg
    Jodi-Boam.jpg

Muscular physiques are pretty attractive.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Muscles better than floppy flab!
  • NRSPAM
    Options
    Lol. Yes they are. :)
  • UsernameStillLoading
    UsernameStillLoading Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard the phrase "you could bounce a quarter off dat azzz?" Yea, I like some muscle.

My butt could bounce a superball :tongue:
  • UsernameStillLoading
    UsernameStillLoading Posts: 299 Member
    Options

:noway:
    I think I just found my new inspiration...who is she? :embarassed:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Not only is it aesthetically pleasing (to me anyway) , it also shows the grit, determination and character of the person.

I think it not only looks good, but I greatly admire those who achieve it.....
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,689 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are over 60 and since his back is bad, it's me who does the heavy lifting. Muscles are downright handy!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Toned is different than muscular in my mind. Toned is fine, you don't jiggle when you wiggle, but muscular is icky to me. I have a friend who got into CrossFit and she's got man shoulders. I don't think that's sexy at all, she looked better before she started going all paelo-cross-fit crazy.

Yeah, I don't like the broad shoulder look. Not for me. But I will say, thanks to some pics an MFP friend posted a while back...some of those girls from crossfit are pretty dang hot! And if you saw what they do, you'd freak! I know I did. They are amazing!

broad shoulders is genetic. I have broad shoulders and no matter how I exercise I'll always have broad shoulders.

Also, it sucks when people hate something about your body that you can't change. Good job I like my broad shoulders... but a lot of women hate theirs and posts like this just reinforce them hating part of their body they can't change.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Myself, I want enough muscle to do the farm work but I don't want to be visibly muscular, don't care for that at all, especially not on me. Enough subcutaneous fat that I don't show bulges or visible abs, that's what I want.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Myself, I want enough muscle to do the farm work but I don't want to be visibly muscular, don't care for that at all, especially not on me. Enough subcutaneous fat that I don't show bulges or visible abs, that's what I want.

You've made that abundantly clear.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i admire the ladies (and men) with the super defined musculature because you know that takes time, dedication and patience.

for me personally my goal is 20-25% body fat not necessarily because i dont like the idea of how i would look at less body fat, but mainly because i know i don't have the personality to make those >20% body fat decisions ona daily basis (ie hot wings, beer and ice cream taste very good :laugh: )

besides that. i come from an athletic background and i'm more comfortable with striving for goals related to what my body can do rather than what it looks like.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I would rather be obese than have a hard body. I want to be slender (not model-thin) and soft. I think that Marilyn Monroe had an ideal figure. I would rather be too fat than too thin. Cellulite isn't ugly to me. What is ugly is sagging/drooping/wrinkling/loose skin. But in my opinion, defined muscles look worse. I don't even like defined muscles on men. I think they look all gnarly and all. On a female, a hard body just looks unfeminine and that isn't how I want to look. No muscle development for me!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I would rather be obese than have a hard body. I want to be slender (not model-thin) and soft. I think that Marilyn Monroe had an ideal figure. I would rather be too fat than too thin. Cellulite isn't ugly to me. What is ugly is sagging/drooping/wrinkling/loose skin. But in my opinion, defined muscles look worse. I don't even like defined muscles on men. I think they look all gnarly and all. On a female, a hard body just looks unfeminine and that isn't how I want to look. No muscle development for me!

I guess it's a good thing that we are all entitled to our own opinion. I have "gnarly" muscles... And my guy has never complained about my lack of femininity!

To each their own!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

I guess it's a good thing that we are all entitled to our own opinion. I have "gnarly" muscles... And my guy has never complained about my lack of femininity!

To each their own!

Your muscles are incredible. You are very feminine. The end.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

goes to show we all have our own likes and dislikes.

As far as your comment regarding being obese, I've been there and will NOT be going back! If I had a choice of having a hard body or being obese, I'd chose a hard body any day!!!!!! I'm not muscular, but I do like muscular men. athletic & toned men are - in my opinion - HOT! as far as this topic is concerned, I admire woman who do fitness shows. They look great and they put a LOT of hard work and effort into it. I have loose skin and hate it. I'm working towards getting rid of my lottsa extra fat but i'm not killing myself doing it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

like this you mean?

Marilyn-Monroe-bench-press.jpg

BTW to get the lean, non-defined bikini model look, as opposed to the fitness model defined muscle look, you train exactly the same way, only you keep your body fat percentage a little higher

18-21% body fat = bikini model look - no muscle definition, soft, lean look

15-17% body fat = fitness model - visible abs, visible muscle definition

13-14% body fat = female body builder - striking muscle definition, totally shredded abs

I've seen pics of fitness models in the off season, when they let their body fat percentage go a little higher (it's not healthy for women to sustain sub 17% body fat for long periods - fitness models and female body builders will let their body fat percentage go higher when they're not modelling/competing, then cut for modelling/competing. And they look like bikini models in the off season.... same women, same muscles, a little more body fat... totally different look. I hope someone else on this thread posts an example, because it's really striking. IMO they look beautiful at both body fat percentages, but I hope women who don't want to have the visible muscle definition can see how much having strong, developed muscles at a slightly higher body fat percentage makes them like a bikini model.

All the above women have strong muscles, including marilyn monroe... just to not have visible definition, don't let your body fat percentage go lower than approx 18%. That is the difference. And yes it's personal preference. But you should still aim to develop your muscles for strength training for health reasons, and because if you're going for the bikini model look, strong muscles will give your body a better overall shape.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    The scale says I have 24.2% body fat, 23.3% muscle mass, 21.2 body mass index. What does it mean? All I know is I estimate I am 5 to 9 pounds overweight; I started my diet today!