The Smarter Science of Slim

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    You are shifting the goalposts. No one is doubting the laws of physics but we are talking about bio-chemistry which is extremely complex and subject to a multitude of influences. Why can't you accept that I have found something that works for me and (and lots of other people---thus all the people who do Paleo/Primal and attest to its efficacy)?

I don't doubt that you've found something that works for you. The issue is that you are making false assumptions about why and how it works, and trying to convince people of your misinformation.

Then there are a LOT of people here besides me who are doing the same and are laboring under the same "misinformation". I am not making any assumptions---just trying to figure things out for myself, just like everyone else. And just like you, unless you really have discovered something extraordinary. If so, it would probably be a good idea to capitalize on it.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    No actually that wasn't me. I counted properly, was hungry all the time and didn't lose weight.

because you admitted to destroying your metabolism...
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Sometimes they are stored and sometimes they are used to fuel muscular activity. And sometimes they are used solely to keep the organism alive. Muscular activity is an extravagance for those who are starving. Sometimes the meager calories that are taken in must be used almost entirely to keep the organs functioning.

Lets make it simple.....

Calories used to keep organs functioning = BMR
    Calories used to fuel activity = TDEE
    Stored Calories = Excessive surplus

This is nothing profound - It all about the laws of energy and how much of a deficit or surplus of energy (calories) there are.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Sometimes they are stored and sometimes they are used to fuel muscular activity. And sometimes they are used solely to keep the organism alive. Muscular activity is an extravagance for those who are starving. Sometimes the meager calories that are taken in must be used almost entirely to keep the organs functioning.

Lets make it simple.....

This is nothing profound - It all about the laws of energy and how much of a deficit or surplus of energy (calories) there are.

But it is simplistic to think that hormones don't influence what "basket" those calories fall into. Check out the article to which I just posted a link. The article discusses the influence of a specific hormone called adropin and its effects on weight management and whether or not obesity developed.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

TDEE = BMR + TEF + NEAT + EAT

Calories consumed over TDEE get stored. Calories consumed under TDEE get pulled from body mass. BMR can vary slightly to make up for small changes in calorie consumption.

That's about it, and it accounts for all of the things you listed.

Women are still human, despite your attempts to say they are not.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Lets make it simple.....

But it is simplistic to think that hormones don't influence what "basket" those calories fall into. Check out the article to which I just posted a link. The article discusses the influence of a specific hormone called adropin and its effects on weight management and whether or not obesity developed.

Yes, yes. Your old-lady-hormones desperately want to make you so fat, a spoonful of sugar will turn directly into fat on your hips even if you're in a calorie deficit. You're so special.

Butterfly_zpsbaf1e4a5.gif
  • LolBroScience
    Options

TDEE = BMR + TEF + NEAT + EAT

Calories consumed over TDEE get stored. Calories consumed under TDEE get pulled from body mass. BMR can vary slightly to make up for small changes in calorie consumption.

That's about it, and it accounts for all of the things you listed.

Women are still human, despite your attempts to say they are not.

This.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Jonnythan: "...Women are still human, despite your attempts to say they are not..."

When did I ever say that women are not human? In my estimation, they are the much "better half" of the human race (based on what we see daily in the news--and elsewhere).
  • jonnythan
    Options
    When did I ever say that women are not human? In my estimation, they are the much "better half" of the human race (based on what we see daily in the news--and elsewhere).

Except, in your estimation, their bodies are evil bags of hormones constantly conspiring to take any possible opportunity to make them fat, no matter what, even to the point of not allowing them to have any sugar or else OBESITY.

Yawn.

You can keep denying biology and physics all day long if you want. It'll still be nonsense.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Jonnythan: "...You can keep denying biology and physics all day long if you want. It'll still be nonsense..."

And I would say the same to you. I think we're done here.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I would like someone to come up with a smarter science that can predict how many pages a thread will last based on the first post. This one has "continued from previous thread" written all over it.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...Except, in your estimation, their bodies are evil bags of hormones..."

LOL--that description could apparently be more appropriately applied to men--especially the ones in the youthful age categories of the majority of prison populations.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to The Gabriel Method - which focuses more on changing your primative subconscious (you don't really see fat animals in the wild do you) rather than hormones, but I guess it's all linked.

For the obesity crisis to improve, something has to change in the human psyche that's for sure.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    "...Except, in your estimation, their bodies are evil bags of hormones..."

LOL--that description could apparently be more appropriately applied to men--especially the ones in the youthful age categories of the majority of prison populations.

Oh I thought we were done.

You don't have any special magical hormones making your body defy the laws of physics. You can keep telling us you do, but you don't. You're not a special snowflake, you're not a poor pathetic pity case whose body simply can't deal with food you love like us young bucks. You just choose to believe that you're special.
  • donnaj46
    donnaj46 Posts: 6
    Options
    I just started but I have to agree, something about that science must work. When I eat just by calories it seems like I don't lose as much as when I eat by calories and nutritious food. I was eating those 100 calorie bars for snacks and my weight lose stopped, even though my calories were correct, not to mention that you feel a lot better when you eat fresh. My favorite is smoothies made from greek yogurt, silk coconut milk and fresh fruit and frozen berries.
  • phoebeleb
    phoebeleb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    "Eat less, exercise more and you will lose weight. Hmm.. How's that working for us? Record levels of obesity around the globe, surely this is NOT working"

I gave up after reading the logical fallacy of this premise which sets up the argument. Those who are obese are simply not eating less and exercising more, and they are not, as the statement implies, a result of people failing in an endeavour to exercise more and eat less. This statement is trying to portray diet and exercise as pointless exercises by means of a totally absurd argument. How can you take the intelligence of such an article seriously?

yup
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I guess that I just never understand when someone says "eat things found in nature!" and then says "only non-starchy vegetables".

Starchy vegetables are also found in nature.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I forgot the peer reviewed paper and where/when it was published, but '' eat less and move more'' seems to have worked for me.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Just to clear up an issue raised earlier the energy yield of a 1lb of fat doesn't change irrespective of whether you are male or female:

For the record, one pound of fat is 454 grams and let’s assume 90% lipid on average. So about 400 or so grams is actual stored TG. When burned by the body, one gram of fat provides 9 calories so 400 grams of fat contains about 3600 calories of stored energy. Now you know where the old axiom of ~3,500 calories to lose a pound of fat comes from. (TG = triglycerides)

Link: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/what-is-body-fat.html

Men and women do have differences in fat metabolism and women have a greater disposition to store body fat and therefore have a harder time reaching low levels of body fat. None of this is earth shattering news.

HTH ;)