The Smarter Science of Slim

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The problem that many have is determining what that is. I eat more calories now (and yes, I weighed and counted faithfully) than I did before but they are different calories. When I counted calories, I gained slightly or stayed the same. I adopted this program and I am able to lose body fat.

I think you probably do eat many more calories yet still are able to maintain your weight but as alluded to by one of the previous posters it is because the Cals out side changed as well. (Incidentally this is principal reason that "Eat More To Weigh Less" can work...)

You before: less calories, hormonally "clogged", lethargic, less unconscious NEPA (non exercise physical activity), higher efficiency of movement = low deficit and greater amount of calorie / nutrient intake partioned to fat storage than other body functions.

You after: more calories, hormonally "unclogged" higher NEPA, lower efficiency of movement = higher deficit and lower amount of calories / nutrients partioned to fat storage and other body systems preferred.

The quality of your food intake, given your particular metabolic profile, absolutely could have made a difference in changing this.

I don't have any issue with the energy balance equation. However, in a real world scenario it can be next to useless for some people to apply. We need practical solutions for a practical problem sometimes ;)

I think it's terrific you have found what works for you. More power to your arm...

Thanks! I'm working on it! My muscles are getting good and the flab is disappearing! I wish I had known that women could lift weights for fat control years ago. :frown: My hubby jokes that I will soon be able to out-lift him (not a chance, he was a collegiate athlete and has stayed in good shape his whole life). :smile:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    BINGO!

Found the thread on 3,500 calorie deficit/ pound of body fat perhaps being only a number for women. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/954272-3500-calories-might-only-be-a-pound-for-women?hl=men+lose+on+2,500+calorie+deficits?&page=1#posts-14546362

Had the university research group wrong--it was obesity researchers at Columbia, but they present an interesting, thought-provoking study. While women are not "special snowflakes" (as many of you men love to deride) we are different in the way that our bodies store and use calories. Period.

A link to an MFP thread that links to an "active.com" article that talks about a "study" in vague terms but does not mention its name or cite it in any way. Awesome.

I can't even find the research paper. Sounds like 100% bull**** to me.

Find the research paper, then we can talk about it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm working on it! My muscles are getting good and the flab is disappearing! I wish I had known that women could lift weights for fat control years ago. :frown: My hubby jokes that I will soon be able to out-lift him (not a chance, he was a collegiate athlete and has stayed in good shape his whole life). :smile:

Good stuff. Weights are absolutely terrific for improving insulin sensitivity amongst making you look all round awesome.

On a final note as I have spent waaaaaaaay too long on this thread: yes, you need a calorie deficit but no, you never need to track calories, or wear a HRM to track your burn or obsess over the macro breakdown of what you are eating. The quality of the calories you are ingesting can certainly help to achieve that desired state.

Old school ;)
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    When cornered he admits that calories ultimately rule but eating the right foods can help the process and address metabolic issues.

I think this is spot on.

Obviously calories do matter but in a real world scenario certain foods or dieting structures make it easier for people to stay consistently in deficit, others make it harder. Unless you're a masochist then choosing the way that makes adherence easier is your best bet.

The "right" combination is due to a myriad of factors both physiological and psychological in my view but what seems clear to me is that it is quite a personal thing.

While this type of dieting may sound "restrictive" to one person it may not seem restrictive at all to another - how can you feel restricted if you are not craving something and have little desire to eat it?

It may seem astonishing but some people end up in a situation where they can take or leave pasta, bread, booze etc. They hold little sway. It is not a case of "never eating something again" - but rather having the flexibility to not be overly bothered in having it (or not as he case may be.)

^ totally agree

Yep--it's just a matter of coping with what we have been given--like grownups. My hubby could sit around lamenting that he cannot eat dairy products without breaking out in terrible patches of eczema, but what would that accomplish? Or worse, he could insist that he could "just have a little ice cream once in a while"---and set off a round of eczema that lasts for at least six months of misery at a stretch. No, much better to just keep the problem under control by avoiding dairy products for the rest of his life. :smile:
  • nlhill79
    nlhill79 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Raw vegan add specific dairy. That's been around for a long time now. I like meat. Unfortunately, I like meat. I eat meat. Some people eat meat and lose lots of weight and become healthy. So now I can't eat meat and be healthy? Just some people can, but not me? Oh.. this is just all too much for me to believe.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this - just tagging for future reference.

Anyone know the best ways of doing HIIT without a gym? Also, how hard is it to actually do HIIT - I always worry it's not going to be intensive enough and then I'm just going a lesser amount of normal cardio :/

ummm find some pavement and do 30 second sprints with x amount of rest time in between....
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Raw vegan add specific dairy. That's been around for a long time now. I like meat. Unfortunately, I like meat. I eat meat. Some people eat meat and lose lots of weight and become healthy. So now I can't eat meat and be healthy? Just some people can, but not me? Oh.. this is just all too much for me to believe.

What does any of this thread have to do with meat consumption? Who's arguing against eating meat? I eat very little meat as it happens, but my hubby would get sick if I put him on a meat-free diet. We were ovo-lacto vegetarians for a while and he went off first because he just didn't feel well (plus he was losing too much weight--probably his dairy allergy kicking-in). Because someone told me that it was a good way to lose weight, I stayed on it longer. I am the only person I know who gained weight on a vegetarian diet. I use whey protein now as a supplement and I'm feeling really great on it. :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    BINGO!

Found the thread on 3,500 calorie deficit/ pound of body fat perhaps being only a number for women. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/954272-3500-calories-might-only-be-a-pound-for-women?hl=men+lose+on+2,500+calorie+deficits?&page=1#posts-14546362

Had the university research group wrong--it was obesity researchers at Columbia, but they present an interesting, thought-provoking study. While women are not "special snowflakes" (as many of you men love to deride) we are different in the way that our bodies store and use calories. Period.

A link to an MFP thread that links to an "active.com" article that talks about a "study" in vague terms but does not mention its name or cite it in any way. Awesome.

Didn't find the Columbia study but the article did link to a University of Kansas study:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12796071 that was interesting because it highlights the differences between men and women (even though both were able to manage their weight with "moderate exercise". Will keep looking for the Columbia study.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    BINGO!

Didn't find the Columbia study but the article did link to a University of Kansas study:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12796071 that was interesting because it highlights the differences between men and women (even though both were able to manage their weight with "moderate exercise". Will keep looking for the Columbia study.

74 participants not eating calorie-controlled diets. Both men and women had reduced visceral fat.

Doesn't seem to support any of your claims.

Women aren't special. You're not a special snowflake, no matter how hard you believe it.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    BINGO!

This may be the paper that was referred to: http://pubmedcentralcanada.ca/pmcc/articles/PMC3139779/

The study was done in cooperation with Columbia and the paper speaks specifically to "gender differences" in use of calories and body composition.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    BINGO!

This may be the paper that was referred to: http://pubmedcentralcanada.ca/pmcc/articles/PMC3139779/

The study was done in cooperation with Columbia and the paper speaks specifically to "gender differences" in use of calories and body composition.

They couldn't have been referring to that paper because that paper doesn't say anything remotely close to "women need 3500 calories to lose a pound while women need 2500."
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    BINGO!

74 participants not eating calorie-controlled diets. Both men and women had reduced visceral fat.

Women aren't special. You're not a special snowflake, no matter how hard you believe it.

Maybe--maybe not. I have just found what works for me--why do you insist that everyone has to follow your rules?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    BINGO!

They couldn't have been referring to that paper because that paper doesn't say anything remotely close to "women need 3500 calories to lose a pound while women need 2500."

Maybe the news article got it wrong but I will keep looking to see if I can did up any research papers.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    BINGO!

Maybe--maybe not. I have just found what works for me--why do you insist that everyone has to follow your rules?

They're not my rules. They're the laws of physics.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    BINGO!

don't you get it..woman are outside the universal laws of math and physics....we really are breaking new ground here...!!! Exciting *kitten*
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    BINGO!

don't you get it..woman are outside the universal laws of math and physics....we really are breaking new ground here...!!! Exciting *kitten*

There are clearly gender differences in body composition. Why would it be a stretch to think that there are differences in the way that calories are used. Here's another interesting article that looks at, among other factors, gender differences. http://www.scripps.edu/newsandviews/e_20120827/butler.html
  • jonnythan
    Options
    BINGO!

There are clearly gender differences in body composition. Why would it be a stretch to think that there are differences in the way that calories are used. Here's another interesting article that looks at, among other factors, gender differences. http://www.scripps.edu/newsandviews/e_20120827/butler.html

Differences in the way that calories are used? Tell about these differences in how calories are used. I figured they were used for energy.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    BINGO!

You are shifting the goalposts. No one is doubting the laws of physics but we are talking about bio-chemistry which is extremely complex and subject to a multitude of influences. Why can't you accept that I have found something that works for me and (and lots of other people---thus all the people who do Paleo/Primal and attest to its efficacy)?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You are shifting the goalposts. No one is doubting the laws of physics but we are talking about bio-chemistry which is extremely complex and subject to a multitude of influences. Why can't you accept that I have found something that works for me and (and lots of other people---thus all the people who do Paleo/Primal and attest to its efficacy)?

I don't doubt that you've found something that works for you. The issue is that you are making false assumptions about why and how it works, and trying to convince people of your misinformation.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    BINGO!

Differences in the way that calories are used? Tell about these differences in how calories are used. I figured they were used for energy.

Sometimes they are stored and sometimes they are used to fuel muscular activity. And sometimes they are used solely to keep the organism alive. Muscular activity is an extravagance for those who are starving. Sometimes the meager calories that are taken in must be used almost entirely to keep the organs functioning.