Monsanto Protection Act

Options

Replies

• Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    If only some of you worried about things that were actually real problems in society. Instead of getting worked up over nothing.

But if we worried about things that were real problems, then we might actually have to go out and do things to fix them.
    tumblr_mdrbrytwBz1ri9yduo1_500.gif
  • Melelise89
    Melelise89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Make sure to eat locally, local is the new organic! Many local farms practice organic farming but do not advertise as organic because they do not want to pay for the certifications. Talk to your local farmers! Learn about their practices, put a face to your food! You have a much higher chance of avoiding GM seeds by supporting your local farmers, and you are more likely to recieve higher levels of nutrition. You also cut thousands of transportation miles from the farm to your plate, which reduces the carbon footprint of your eating habits (for those of us that care). Farmers markets and CSA's are there for you to take advantage of and allow you to "vote with your dollars". We can all complain about Monsanto and talk about how evil the corporation is but in reality, most of us are supporting their practices by shopping at the grocery store!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't expect anything less from President Obama. He is owned by the corporations and for the corporations. He will go down in history as one of the worst presidents this country has ever had.

Wow, many of you don't seem to understand how the American legistlative process works. The president doesn't hold the power to enact a bill all on his own, you know?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Make sure to eat locally, local is the new organic! Many local farms practice organic farming but do not advertise as organic because they do not want to pay for the certifications. Talk to your local farmers! Learn about their practices, put a face to your food! You have a much higher chance of avoiding GM seeds by supporting your local farmers, and you are more likely to recieve higher levels of nutrition. You also cut thousands of transportation miles from the farm to your plate, which reduces the carbon footprint of your eating habits (for those of us that care). Farmers markets and CSA's are there for you to take advantage of and allow you to "vote with your dollars". We can all complain about Monsanto and talk about how evil the corporation is but in reality, most of us are supporting their practices by shopping at the grocery store!

This may be true in some areas, but many (probably most) local farms are not organic. They may have less pesticides than big commercial farms and certainly the transportation costs are less and the vegetables are usually fresher, but organic farming is expensive, espeically when you can't market your produce as organic. Farmer's markets are not a guarantee of organic.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I think we should let half of the world's population starve to death. Really. There's just no need for the advances in agriculture that we've seen for the last several decades.
    All those nasty modified crops that survive on less water and fewer pesticides...ditch that crap. Let's go back to cyclical famine! Yea, that's be great.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I don't expect anything less from President Obama. He is owned by the corporations and for the corporations. He will go down in history as one of the worst presidents this country has ever had.

Wow, many of you don't seem to understand how the American legistlative process works. The president doesn't hold the power to enact a bill all on his own, you know?
    But pointing the finger and finding someone or something to vilify garners support and gets people to act (or at least change their Facebook profile pic).
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

Let's just hope that all of those local farmers know the list of seed companies owned by Monsanto/Seminis.

Because it's crazy-long. And still growing.
  • iAMsmiling
    Options
    First world: "I want food...that is, organic, locally grown, clean, unprocessed, etc."
    Third world: I want food..."
  • bcf7683
    Options
    First world: "I want food...that is, organic, locally grown, clean, unprocessed, etc."

So simply because of the fact that I was born in a first-world country I shouldn't give a *kitten* about what I'm putting in my body?
  • iAMsmiling
    Options

So simply because of the fact that I was born in a first-world country I shouldn't give a *kitten* about what I'm putting in my body?

Care about whatever you wish. I believe it is a waste of time and energy to be worried in that direction. In any case, I don't think it does any good to vilify the people and processes that allow us to feed so many billions of people.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    :(

so it goes
  • bcf7683
    Options

Care about whatever you wish. I believe it is a waste of time and energy to be worried in that direction. In any case, I don't think it does any good to vilify the people and processes that allow us to feed so many billions of people.

If they were purely in it to do what you stated above, I would be fine with that. But the fact that they're putting their "miracles" into food without telling people and buying out company after company for profit has me thinking that they're in it for more than saving the world.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am behind on the times, but as for as I know we do not have GMO wheat in the US. We have hybridized wheat but not GMO wheat.
    So what's the difference?
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    SMH :(
  • iAMsmiling
    Options

If they were purely in it to do what you stated above, I would be fine with that. But the fact that they're putting their "miracles" into food without telling people and buying out company after company for profit has me thinking that they're in it for more than saving the world.

Of course they are in it for profit. Thank god for profit. Nothing else could motivate the advances we see every day.
    I work for a medical device company. A few hundred thousand people live longer/better lives because of our products, which we would not have developed and would not make were it not for profit.
  • bcf7683
    Options

Of course they are in it for profit. Thank god for profit. Nothing else could motivate the advances we see every day.
    I work for a medical device company. A few hundred thousand people live longer/better lives because of our products, which we would not have developed and would not make were it not for profit.

I suppose my intention was misconstrued. They're in it for the profit, masking themselves as the world's savior.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Supposedly, this time he has the blessing of the Congress, but when he doesn't, it's call an executive order. Obama has executed more executive orders than all the past presidents in the past 200+ years combined. I Sh#t you not.
  • iAMsmiling
    Options

I suppose my intention was misconstrued. They're in it for the profit, masking themselves as the world's savior.

I can't say I've seen monsanto advertising. I can tell you that we certainly advertise the life saving benefits our products bring. I don't think that means we're representing ourselves as "saviors." It means we need people to think favorably of us.
    In Monsanto's case, that's likely in an attempt to offset all the vilification of the type we see here.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

The computer/android/tablet you're typing this on and could afford to purchase, came your way courtesy of military technology as a result of wars in which millions of innocent people died.

I love discussions about morality and ethics. They never end up lopsided. :drinker:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The big take away is the president needs line item veto power to strike out unwanted additions to otherwise acceptable legislation