Monsanto Protection Act

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I dont normally jump on the GMO bandwagon because I'm under the belief we have been engineering our food since we learned how to put seeds in the ground.

However, to remove culpability is scary I'll have to read this more.

The GMO is a little worrisome because it is actually modifying the DNA of the seed in a laboratory. The cross breeding I'm not worried about because this type of cross breeding. Has been done by nature for thousands of years.
    Especially when their using DNA from the animal kingdom.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I dont normally jump on the GMO bandwagon because I'm under the belief we have been engineering our food since we learned how to put seeds in the ground.

The GMO is a little worrisome because it is actually modifying the DNA of the seed in a laboratory. The cross breeding I'm not worried about because this type of cross breeding. Has been done by nature for thousands of years.
    Especially when their using DNA from the animal kingdom.

dude go ahead and eat your GMO foods and let the government tell you what you should be eating.

I'd prefer to have a choice.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

the thing with cross-breeding - even if its not GMO - is that our bodies still don't know what to do with it. we've bred wheat to be shorter, heartier and more dense so that it is protected against insects/pesticides/etc/etc, but that same cross-breeding makes it harder for us to digest. so no, there's not GMO wheat, but that doesn't mean the wheat we're eating today looks anything like the wheat we ate 50 years ago, and the human body can't adapt like that over a 50 year period. It'll take thousands for us to adapt to the wheat we're eating now, and once that happens we'll probably all have blown ourselves up anyway.
    Time for some toast, it makes it easier to digest, especially with some organic butter.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

the thing with cross-breeding - even if its not GMO - is that our bodies still don't know what to do with it. we've bred wheat to be shorter, heartier and more dense so that it is protected against insects/pesticides/etc/etc, but that same cross-breeding makes it harder for us to digest. so no, there's not GMO wheat, but that doesn't mean the wheat we're eating today looks anything like the wheat we ate 50 years ago, and the human body can't adapt like that over a 50 year period. It'll take thousands for us to adapt to the wheat we're eating now, and once that happens we'll probably all have blown ourselves up anyway.
    Time for some toast, it makes it easier to digest, especially with some organic butter.

regarding what this DID say before you edited - the phrase "whole grain" refers to non-milled, non-processed grains that are still intact.

it's very, very difficult for us to digest said grains.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

I wash and vinegar wash my fruits and veggies.. I'm not ignorant to how crops are cultivated.. i grew up doing it.

You may play devils advocate all you want, but if your basis of argument is *you are ignorant because your view is different then mine* then really exit the thread now as you bring nothing to this conversation..

My views may be too "radical" for you, but they are just as valid.

Anyway.. regarding the GMO.. I want the choice of what I put into my body to be mine and I want the constitutionally protected right to initiate due process if something someone else does to me, esp if it's not disclosed and/or without my knowledge, harms me. I'm not naive enough to think that enough people will speak out in order to change things.. Unfortunately people have been taught by the government that their voice doesn't matter. If the entire country would exercise their right to vote we'd have a different country. If people would exercise their right to petition and peacefully assemble and do it correctly we might see a change. Of course. he already signed into law HR 347 restricting this right.. although he didn't have the authority to do so.

Also.. we don't know what they inject into the seeds? What if it's something with fish oil? (i'm allergic, to impure fish oil) I can't go after them? (Of course i doubt that would be in there.. but my point is the same)

Wake up.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    *sigh*

I wash and vinegar wash my fruits and veggies.. I'm not ignorant to how crops are cultivated.. i grew up doing it.

You may play devils advocate all you want, but if your basis of argument is *you are ignorant because your view is different then mine* then really exit the thread now as you bring nothing to this conversation..

My views may be too "radical" for you, but they are just as valid.

Anyway.. regarding the GMO.. I want the choice of what I put into my body to be mine and I want the constitutionally protected right to initiate due process if something someone else does to me, esp if it's not disclosed and/or without my knowledge, harms me. I'm not naive enough to think that enough people will speak out in order to change things.. Unfortunately people have been taught by the government that their voice doesn't matter. If the entire country would exercise their right to vote we'd have a different country. If people would exercise their right to petition and peacefully assemble and do it correctly we might see a change. Of course. he already signed into law HR 347 restricting this right.. although he didn't have the authority to do so.

Also.. we don't know what they inject into the seeds? What if it's something with fish oil? (i'm allergic) I can't go after them? (Of course i doubt that would be in there.. but my point is the same)

Wake up.

:drinker:
  • EdwarddeVere
    Options
    oh boy...
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Interested in reading both sides of this discussion.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    TinFoilHatAreaOnly.jpg
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    TinFoilHatAreaOnly.jpg

c95747ed.jpg
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    TinFoilHatAreaOnly.jpg

And it looks good on you.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    TinFoilHatAreaOnly.jpg

And it looks good on you.

I hope you're not talking to me... No ONE but taso is allowed to tinfoil my head.

Oh, btw, talk to a friend that works at Whole Foods and learn what is sprayed on that fresh produce every night. Gotta keep it fresh!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I know this is a diet and fitness site ( and I did not go through every page of this thread ) but I don't think anyone has covered this part of the equation. They need more yield out of these crops. Corn = ethanol, soybeans = biodiesel. Using food for fuel is poor choice IMHO.
  • mrphil86
    Options
    TinFoilHatAreaOnly.jpg

c95747ed.jpg

The facts are?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    TinFoilHatAreaOnly.jpg

c95747ed.jpg

The facts are?

that Monsanto is now protected from any liability or culpability if it turns out that GMO foods aren't good for us, even though they refuse to test them before releasing them into the marketplace.

how would you feel if a law were passed that said new drugs didn't have to go through testing before being placed on the market, and the manufacturers were protected from any liability for whatever negative effects those drugs may have?

who's wearing the tinfoil hat?
  • mrphil86
    Options
    Exactly where does it say that?
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    TinFoilHatAreaOnly.jpg

c95747ed.jpg

The facts are?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
    ― John Adams

For every fact there is an infinity of hypotheses. ”
    ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

“If you're searching for the truth, throw out all your prejudices and just gather the facts. If you do that, you'll be able to see the real truth.”
    ― CLAMP

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still"--Dale Carnegie
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Exactly where does it say that?
    In the event that a determination of non-
    regulated status made pursuant to section 411 of the Plant
    Protection Act is or has been invalidated or vacated, the
    Secretary of Agriculture shall, notwithstanding any other
    provision of law, upon request by a farmer, grower, farm
    operator, or producer, immediately grant temporary per-
    mit(s) or temporary deregulation in part, subject to nec-
    essary and appropriate conditions consistent with section
    411(a) or 412(c) of the Plant Protection Act, which interim
    conditions shall authorize the movement, introduction, con-
    tinued cultivation, commercialization and other specifically
    enumerated activities and requirements, including meas-
    ures designed to mitigate or minimize potential adverse en-
    vironmental effects, if any, relevant to the Secretary’s eval-
    uation of the petition for non-regulated status, while ensur-
    ing that growers or other users are able to move, plant, cul-
    tivate, introduce into commerce and carry out other author-
    ized activities in a timely manner: Provided, That all such
    conditions shall be applicable only for the interim period
    necessary for the Secretary to complete any required anal-
    yses or consultations related to the petition for non-regu-
    lated status: Provided further, That nothing in this section
    shall be construed as limiting the Secretary’s authority
    under section 411, 412 and 414 of the Plant Protection Act.

what that means, is that 'The "Monsanto Protection Act" effectively bars federal courts from being able to halt the sale or planting of controversial genetically modified (aka GMO) or genetically engineered (GE) seeds, no matter what health issues may arise concerning GMOs in the future. The advent of genetically modified seeds -- which has been driven by the massive Monsanto Company -- and their exploding use in farms across America came on fast and has proved a huge boon for Monsanto's profits.'

edited to add full text of law
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Overreacting.

In what world?

Did you actually read the act or the over blown sensational news story?

I'm going to have to agree with the Overreacting. After reading to applicable part of the bill, all it seems to do is prevent a shut down of growing crops on an interim basis while a review is done. It doesn't protect them if they actually determine it's harmful. However, if something comes out that opens up some kind of review, it does protect them from being shut down while the review is ongoing.

I'm not a lawyer, but again I dont think the original post painted a balanced picture.