I want to yell NOOOOO to energy bars

Options

Replies

• JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I could say the same thing about people who drink, but I don't. Just because I choose not to drink because it doesn't agree with my body, I'm not going to say that everyone has to follow suit. I think the stress of obsessing about clean eating will kill you quicker than a little bit of processed food here and there.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder, mom.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I'll eat what I want and I really don't care if it kills me.
    How do you feel about eating out?
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    "As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time."
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I think if you want to yell NOOOOOOO! when you see something you don't like in someone's food diary, you should go ahead and do it. Your family, pets or neighbors may think you're nuts, but it sounds like it might be dangerous for you to keep this bottled up.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    All food is nutritional within the context of a balanced diet.

But not all things marketed as food are food! :wink:
  • ajkolb
    ajkolb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are great! If you buy them from a retail store, they are STALE! You have to order them direct from the company!:)) You can order the original or the natural line. You can get them individually or in a variety box. They are fresh, and so soft! I love to heat them up in the microwave for about 8 seconds, and top with a tsp of natural peanut butter!!
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Better than stuffing my face with chocolate chip cookies!!
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options

It's been a while since I've ate out, wanna go grab a bite?
  • runningwild00
    Options
    I started making my own protein bars.

Same! I make my own granola bars, and they fill me right up
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    You can't tell me what to do!

But seriously, you lost me at Daily Show!
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's exactly why I eat them!

For ~200 calories, I'd rather have a Pure Protein chocolate and peanut butter bar with 20g of protein than a couple of Reese's cups with 5g.

I wouldn't use them as meal replacements. They're just snacks.
    [/quote]

Yep I eat a Pure Protein bar with a red delicious apple. I like the taste of the two mixed together and that gives me a full feeling and energy to carry on. It's a good in between snack or a pre work out pick me up!
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    I eat Enjoy Life soft baked snack bars in 3 flavors. They're intended for gluten-free/low allergen diets but I love them and use them when I need to take one of my three barrels of supplements throughout the day but don't want a full meal, They don't purport to be energy bars, but they have slow carbs (brown rice syrup) and aren't candy-sweet like most of the bars you're talking about. My stomach likes them and they keep me going nicely on about 110 calories each with moderate macros. If I have one before a walk, I find I have plenty of energy to keep going. Probably not adequate for more demanding exercise, but there you are.

I also eat Odwalla Sweet and Salty Almond bars. Great minerals and happy fats, and again my stomach adores them and makes happy noises after.

Without convenience foods like this, life would be a huge pain in the *kitten*. I already have to do all the cooking at home and quite simply don't care to spend a lot of time and effort eating joylessly. I feel better than I have in years on the choices I make now, which I'm sure a lot of you would criticize. That's why I don't keep an open diary.

Not all bars are bad but I take your point. I liked Luna bars years ago when they still had a few flavors that weren't frosted and super-sweet and chocolate based but then they got rid of most of those. I also remember eating power bars instead of candy bars a long time ago, which is about right. It's hard to find a high-protein bar that doesn't have a lot of crap in it, but that reminds me that I need to make another batch of my manna chunks and post a recipe for it....
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Yell at energy bars all you want, they're inanimate objects, I doubt they'd care.

As far as yelling "no" at the people on your friends list eat...go for it if it makes you feel better about yourself, it 's not like they can hear you through your computer screen.

:
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

It's been a while since I've ate out, wanna go grab a bite?
    Sure, let's make it a long lunch and not rush it so we can both enjoy ourselves.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's exactly why I eat them!

For ~200 calories, I'd rather have a Pure Protein chocolate and peanut butter bar with 20g of protein than a couple of Reese's cups with 5g.

I wouldn't use them as meal replacements. They're just snacks.

That's my brand of protein bar too!

But of course.. what do we know? Filling our bodies with these dreadful processed foods. If we're not careful we're gonna get a big NOOOOOOOO!!

Me too. The strawberry cream is my FAVE!

They have strawberry cream? How have I managed to miss this?

I like the Chocolate Deluxe best of the flavors I've tried. I can only eat half a bar at a time (post-gastric bypass, they sit a little heavy if I eat a whole one), but they make a wonderful little treat. I heat mine in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds, and it's all gooey like a fresh baked brownie...yummy!
  • Lisafrazier71
    Lisafrazier71 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Amen! If I'm going to eat a bar it's going to be a brownie or a Snickers!
  • swenard
    swenard Posts: 101
    Options
    I don't think they're evil but I look at the nutrition info and most of them are close to being candy bars with a lot of vitamins added in. I never buy them.

Candy bars with extra vitamins and protein added? I'm always ready for that party! :laugh:

Lol! That's what I was thinking! This person should make commercials!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this. If you can't pronounce just one of the ingredients it shouldn't go in your mouth!
    Weird. I mean, I couldn't pronounce "quinoa" when I first saw it, but "arsenic" is easy. That thinking could lead to one seriously effed-up diet.
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm on the go, it's a bar or nothing. I love the NuGo nutrition bars. They are made locally and not full of fake garbage.