I want to yell NOOOOO to energy bars

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I eat Quest protein bars. Not sure if they are clean or not, but they are definitely not candy bars.

No, they're HORRIBLE!! I got a few flavors because every time a topic comes up "what is a good protein/nutrition bar" it seems like there are 57 answers in a row: "quest. Quest! QUEST! Quest! Quest are the BEST!"

I couldn't even finish chewing the first bite of the apple pie one, my husband tossed half the peanut butter/chocolate one and the chocolate brownie one was like chewing on semi-sweet chocolate rubber. Blech. What a waste of money.

Meh. People have differing tastes. I love quest bars. There are very few flavors that I don't like. I will not however eat anything made by Hersey or Mars. A snickers? Ew.

Snickers Marathon bars are awesome!
    :smokin: :heart:
  • GainsAndGuitars
    Options
    Quest bars are great! If you buy them from a retail store, they are STALE! You have to order them direct from the company!:)) You can order the original or the natural line. You can get them individually or in a variety box. They are fresh, and so soft! I love to heat them up in the microwave for about 8 seconds, and top with a tsp of natural peanut butter!!

Agreed. Coconut Cashew is my jam. If i get them from the store and they are stale I might microwave them for a few seconds to get them chewy. Some of the flavors aren't great but some are awesome.
  • joliefrijole
    Options
    I love Balance Bars and Luna Protein bars! I find they fulfill my ginormous sweet tooth without having to succumb to the more junky alternatives...
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I eat Quest protein bars. Not sure if they are clean or not, but they are definitely not candy bars.

No, they're HORRIBLE!! I got a few flavors because every time a topic comes up "what is a good protein/nutrition bar" it seems like there are 57 answers in a row: "quest. Quest! QUEST! Quest! Quest are the BEST!"

I couldn't even finish chewing the first bite of the apple pie one, my husband tossed half the peanut butter/chocolate one and the chocolate brownie one was like chewing on semi-sweet chocolate rubber. Blech. What a waste of money.

You should try Zone Perfect. They are made by the same people that make EAS protein shakes. They are soooo god. And yes... they have sugar....

EUsIG.gif

I eat a chocolate mint Zone perfect bar every morning with my full fat half and half laden coffee. OP, what I eat is nunya and you can rip it out of my cold dead hand. :flowerforyou:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Antagonizing for the sake of it...

Just ate a Zone Perfect chocolate and peanut butter protein bar! Mmmmmm!

*listens for distant screaming*
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Energy bars taste like garbage in my opinion and they are so high calorie for what they are. PASS.
  • Imadarkswan
    Imadarkswan Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're evil but I look at the nutrition info and most of them are close to being candy bars with a lot of vitamins added in. I never buy them.

Candy bars with extra vitamins and protein added? I'm always ready for that party! :laugh:

^Dang Straight!
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Antagonizing for the sake of it...

Just ate a Zone Perfect chocolate and peanut butter protein bar! Mmmmmm!

*listens for distant screaming*

How dare you defy the laws of the OP!!! Shame on you!!! :laugh:
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Cutting up carrots is a process - therefore, cut carrots are PROCESSED FOODS!!! This annoys me as much as the misuse of "chemicals" and "organic." Everything is made of chemicals. All the food we eat is, by definition, organic, or it isn't food. I know what folks actually mean when they use these terms, but these uses are simply wrong.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this. If you can't pronounce just one of the ingredients it shouldn't go in your mouth!

So, the more literate you are the more crap you get to eat?

I must try that as an incentive with some of my lower ability English classes. "Once you learn to say this ingredient, you can eat it children!"
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    all this talk about protein bars is making me crave one
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My issue is not whether or not someone chooses to eat something, my issue is that something processed can out bid fresh, unprocessed food making the stuff they do less too MORE expensive. That's ridiculous.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My issue is not whether or not someone chooses to eat something, my issue is that something processed can out bid fresh, unprocessed food making the stuff they do less too MORE expensive. That's ridiculous.

Processed food is cheaper because manufacturers can afford to buy the unprocessed food in bulk, whereas you can't.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Apparently you believe everything you read. People just need to be smart about which ones they purchase and/or make their own.
  • Slugsasarus
    Slugsasarus Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are supposed to be supplements to help provide energy before/during a workout and protein after a workout. I mean, if you eat 3 protein bars a day and aren't working out then yeah, probably not great for you. But I sometimes eat one before/during a workout for a burst of energy that allows me to workout longer!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I've actually heard Michael Moss on a couple of NPR programs, what I took from his book were 2 things: 1. Scientists are creating our foods, not chefs or cooks, and 2. the people that make the food don't even eat it. If is good enough for the average person, why isn't it good enough for the people that make it?
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are supposed to be supplements to help provide energy before/during a workout and protein after a workout. I mean, if you eat 3 protein bars a day and aren't working out then yeah, probably not great for you. But I sometimes eat one before/during a workout for a burst of energy that allows me to workout longer!

Exactly... and it's a much healthier alternative to a 5 hour energy or something similar.
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I will eat my Lara Bars and as far as protein bars go they are extremely healthy.... Now just because you don't approve doesn't mean you should be judgmental. I only eat organic produce and meat and dont eat packaged, processed foods but that is my business and for my reasons. I respect my friends all of them for the healthy path they are on and I don't judge them because they dont eat the way i do. Maybe you should pay more attention to the way you eat and less about the way your friends do.... Just saying
  • RobinME
    RobinME Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love protein bars and energy bars. I do not eat them every day, but sometimes they really help out. I tend to stick to the ones that have a small sugar content and ingredients that I can pronounce. I have lost 110 pounds so far in 2 years so they can't be all bad.
  • Boocakes08
    Options
    Making my diary private.....I am on here to get suggestions on how to become successful in my healthy lifestyle journey. Not for someone to be stalking people's diaries. If you have that much freakin time...come to my house and cook me 5 clean meals a day and clean my house up too after I let my twins trash it. Thanks.