Why does it still feel like I'm torturing myself?

Options

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Science is still out on that one. It's also referred to as a compulsion or obsession which is different than an actual addiction. There are some people who have huge problems with food intake but for most of us it's laziness, lack of understanding, and lack of self discipline.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting on a logical response to their argument of "you can't seriously tell people it's okay to eat cake for breakfast" followed in the same breath with "everything is fine in moderation."

Since the two don't work well together... but we're wrong about the whole thing.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Why are you not eating the foods you want? This is all about a calorie deficit. If you want a burger, fit it in. If you want cake, fit it in. If you have to exercise to be able to have your burger or cake, do it. You don't have to 'torture' yourself. I've had plenty of 'off' days and I still lose weight. It's not about restriction but being balanced/

This. I just had chocolate for dinner. And what?! Still under TDEE for the day and week.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When I started reading this, I thought, yeah someone else gets it! I do not like many veggies, really only green beans and corn. I do not enjoy eating healthy, at all. I have lost about 12 lbs since Dec. when I started MFP, but I have a lot more to go!! I still feel like it is a challenge to eat healthy. I keep thinking when I keep losing it will be easier to say no to the things I shouldn't have, but i am not there yet. I am trying to enjoy my foods, I can tolerate what I am eating, but I am not enjoying it. I just wanted to agree with the person who started this thread. Anyone who want to give me tips or friend me, that is great!

My question would be "What are you eating?". I don't know if this is true of you or not, but when many people think of losing weight and eating healthy they immediately think salads and steamed vegetables and baked lean meats/fish.

And while there is nothing wrong with those foods - they are indeed healthy - it's not necessary to eat only those types of foods unless you have a medical condition requiring diet restriction.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that you don't have to be healthy to lose weight.

Is it better to be healthy? Yes.

My version of healthy includes foods from all food types.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Science is still out on that one. It's also referred to as a compulsion or obsession which is different than an actual addiction. There are some people who have huge problems with food intake but for most of us it's laziness, lack of understanding, and lack of self discipline.

I won't get into an argument over psychological addiction vs. physical addiction. There is plenty of information available for anyone that wants to research it. But what is true for most of us doesn't change what may be true for some. If it did, we'd all bunnies that can't eat one cookie.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I was going to take a look at your food diary to see what you've been doing different, but it is locked. Are you eating foods that are delicious? Even if it is something that is different than you've been doing, if you are not enjoying your meals or are forcing yourself to eat foods you don't like it is going to feel like you are denying yourself the pleasure of eating.

Food is supposed to taste good, and exercise is supposed to be fun. Otherwise a fit and healthy lifestyle is just not sustainable.

AGREED. Very well stated. Relegating certain foods to the "bad, do not eat" column makes a healthy lifestyle miserable.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I was going to take a look at your food diary to see what you've been doing different, but it is locked. Are you eating foods that are delicious? Even if it is something that is different than you've been doing, if you are not enjoying your meals or are forcing yourself to eat foods you don't like it is going to feel like you are denying yourself the pleasure of eating.

Food is supposed to taste good, and exercise is supposed to be fun. Otherwise a fit and healthy lifestyle is just not sustainable.

AGREED. Very well stated. Relegating certain foods to the "bad, do not eat" column makes a healthy lifestyle miserable.

After losing 20 some pounds in about six weeks, I am also wondering if you are eating enough.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I understand. I think its funny that its been proven that snack foods are genetically modified to make you want more, more, more.

Characteristics Of Successful Snack Food

Finally, it would not be satiating.
    No matter how much you ate, you would never be satisfied.

^^ since its been proven that biologically your body will want more, tell me again how you eat 1 cookie or 1 chip and have ZERO desire for another one, because it just isn't possible. Sure self control, but why torture yourself with that reaction your brain AUTOMATICALLY has to want more?

lolwut?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I understand. I think its funny that its been proven that snack foods are genetically modified to make you want more, more, more.

Characteristics Of Successful Snack Food

Finally, it would not be satiating.
    No matter how much you ate, you would never be satisfied.

^^ since its been proven that biologically your body will want more, tell me again how you eat 1 cookie or 1 chip and have ZERO desire for another one, because it just isn't possible. Sure self control, but why torture yourself with that reaction your brain AUTOMATICALLY has to want more?

Please provide some reference to this proof? That is one of the most ludicrous statements I've seen.
  • shosho420
    shosho420 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Would you tell a drunk its ok to have one drink? Oh but its ok have self control and everything in moderation.

I knew you'd get around to that sooner or later. Food is not comparable to alcohol or drugs. You need food to live and telling someone they have to give up food because they have an "addiction" to it would be ludicrous. No one is addicted to food in the same way they are to a mind altering substance. Don't even go there.

You may have tendencies to over eat, feel compelled to eat certain foods for satisfaction but it's a learned behaviour which can be changed and it doesn't have to be done through deprivation.

NOTE: I removed your original quote so you don't need to keep going back to it.
    Except its been proven people get sugar addictions and caffeine addictions and since those are both found in tones of common foods, its very easy to get addicted to.

Caffeine is a drug and is addictive. Sugar is a food and is a craving not an addiction.

We could have a battle of wits here but I really hate fighting with someone who is unarmed.

People can become addicted to food.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/mental-health-food-addiction.
    EVERYONE knows people can become addicted to food. This is like old news is old type of thing. Battle of wits with someone who isn't even smart enough to know that sugar has been proven to be highly addictive? Yeah that's a joke. This is very old news, like really lol hahaahha
  • shosho420
    Options
    http://www.gnolls.org/2074/why-snack-food-is-addictive-the-grand-unified-theory-of-snack-appeal/

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-sugar-addiction

Your Brain on Sugar

Sugar fuels every cell in the brain. When you overload on sugary foods, it may alter the parts of the brain that control how much you eat. In lab studies, rats that binged on sugar had brain changes like those of getting off drugs. In humans, just seeing pictures of milkshakes triggered brain effects like those seen in drug addicts. It was strongest in women whose answers showed they were more hooked on eating.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/researcher-sugar-addictive-cocaine-obesity-diabetes-cancer-heart-disease-article-1.1054419
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE knows people can become addicted to food. This is like old news is old type of thing. Battle of wits with someone who isn't even smart enough to know that sugar has been proven to be highly addictive? Yeah that's a joke. This is very old news, like really lol hahaahha
    Who cares? This has nothing to do with the topic. People can become addicted to any behavior. It doesn't mean people should stop all behavior. This is as reasonable as suggesting nobody should ever eat shellfish because some people are allergic to it.
    The real world? YOu mean where people feed their kids McDonald and everyone eats fast food and is obese? LOOK AROUND that is the real world
    I'm not obese. I have never been obese. I live in the real world. Your worldview conflicts with observed reality.

I know all about moderation and I am still not going to buy a bunch of junk food while I am trying to diet because YES that is counter productive to my goals. A BETTER basic skill for me is learning to live with out processed junk foods and candy. THAT is a much better skill.

You claim to know about moderation, and then proceed to explain how the only options are either stuffing your closet with junk food, or completely giving it up. Your answer is that you should avoid learning moderation because extremism, deprivation, and self-torture is a better basic skill. That is not moderation. It is the very opposite of moderation. Knowing about moderation and being able to practice it are two different things.
    Its cute how you use flame turms like "us grown ups" sure I know LOTS of grown ups that eat cupcakes for breakfast or eat half a pizza in one sitting because that is the NORM around here apparently,. What a joke.
    Using one's frontal lobe to weigh and make decisions is grown up behavior. Following one's impulses with no concern for anything but the moment is how children behave until/unless they learn how to do the former.
  • shosho420
    Options
    Who cares? This has nothing to do with the topic. People can become addicted to any behavior. It doesn't mean people should stop all behavior. This is as reasonable as suggesting nobody should ever eat shellfish because some people are allergic to it.
    The real world? YOu mean where people feed their kids McDonald and everyone eats fast food and is obese? LOOK AROUND that is the real world
    I'm not obese. I have never been obese. I live in the real world. Your worldview conflicts with observed reality.

I know all about moderation and I am still not going to buy a bunch of junk food while I am trying to diet because YES that is counter productive to my goals. A BETTER basic skill for me is learning to live with out processed junk foods and candy. THAT is a much better skill.

You claim to know about moderation, and then proceed to explain how the only options are either stuffing your closet with junk food, or completely giving it up. Your answer is that you should avoid learning moderation because extremism, deprivation, and self-torture is a better basic skill. That is not moderation. It is the very opposite of moderation. Knowing about moderation and being able to practice it are two different things.
    Its cute how you use flame turms like "us grown ups" sure I know LOTS of grown ups that eat cupcakes for breakfast or eat half a pizza in one sitting because that is the NORM around here apparently,. What a joke.
    Using one's frontal lobe to weigh and make decisions is grown up behavior. Following one's impulses with no concern for anything but the moment is how children behave until/unless they learn how to do the former.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/obesity-epidemic-astronomical
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/everyone
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Quoting WebMD is like giving a Wikipedia link.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    I love it when you make multiple points and someone ignores all but the one they perceive as the lowest hanging fruit.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    I love it when you make multiple points and someone ignores all but the one they perceive as the lowest hanging fruit.

Glad you stated that, happened to me multiple times in this thread.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/everyone

:laugh:
  • bcattoes
    Options

Quoting WebMD is like giving a Wikipedia link.

No, not really.