What was your first car?

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    1980 (I think it was) chevy citation.....man that was a POS.
    A Citation was my third car..not sure what year, but I'm thinking '81, but it had that sideways tape deck and the only song on any cassette it would play without jamming or popping back out was "The End" by the Doors. You could take the keys out after you started it. The windows fell out of the track all the time and accelerator would stick and just go to the floor on it own (I swear that car was possessed by demons). :laugh:
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The first car I bought for myself was a 1977 Ford Granada in 1982 when I got out of the Army. My Dad taught me to drive in a 1966 3 speed,straight 6 cylinder Mustang.
  • elledeery
    elledeery Posts: 866
    Options
    I was a late bloomer with the driving so I got my license back in March of 2009 and one month later bought my first car, a 2010 Mazda 3 :)
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    1989 Mazda 323
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    No picture, but a purple Ford KA. I doubt you have them in the US, they're tiny cars!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    '88 Lincoln Continental. I had to refill the power steering fluid every time I wanted to drive it because it leaked.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Mine was a 1968 AMC Javelin. I bought it a year before I could get my license and used to run it back and forth in the driveway. The day I turned 16 I took it out for the first time and ran out of gas two blocks from my house. :laugh:
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had 3 cars in the 1st 2 months I got my license. And no, I wasn't THAT reckless.

I learned to drive in an '87 Camry and I drove that for 2 weeks until my folks decided they would be more comfortable with me driving the '94 Taurus. A month and half later, I got rear ended and the car was totaled. So, after that, my folks bought an '02 Taurus for me to drive. I have been driving the same '02 Taurus ever since. In theory, I consider the 02 my "1st car" because I got my license in Aug '02 and got the new Taurus in Oct '02.
  • xF7x
    xF7x Posts: 143
    Options
    Chevy vega..... not as bad *kitten* as this one.... but the same liine...

chevrolet-vega-parts.jpg
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    1994 Chevy Cavalier
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous of all your USA folk - your cars looked so much cooler than what we had to offer in the UK back when I was young. Mind you, at £6.35 per Imperial gallon for petrol, i don't think many people in the UK could afford to keep them moving!

My first was an Audi 100 Avant which my dad gave me when he bought a new car. I promptly wrote it off on a switchback country road and he never bought me another - lesson learnt!
  • mrowrmeowmrowr
    mrowrmeowmrowr Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Still driving my tan Taurus.
    So unfortunate that they look much better than they run! POS...though I put a ton of miles on it.

1526_cc0640_001_AQ.jpg?w=590
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My first car is my current car, but before any of you start thinking I'm behind times its a Volkswagen Polo 2010

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHj3tQTTklibO1Lpux8Jw4gsOE73ilWWZHCGCzRKIUIpCUYZi0

I have picture in my profile pics.
  • ac7ss
    ac7ss Posts: 15
    Options
    My first car, in 1984, was a blue '62 VW Beetle, with a Baja kit. The Baja kit was how my dad fixed it after it was totaled for the 4th time (before I got it.) I had to park it on a curb so I could 'pop' start it. The exhaust manifold was literally held on by beer cans and bailing wire. (We looked for colorful beer cans.)

It could and did float.

I went in the Navy after High School and returned it to my dad. within 2 months of it getting sold, it was totaled again, this time for the final. (I visited it in the junk yard when I came home on leave.)
  • biddy81
    biddy81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My first car, in 1984, was a blue '62 VW Beetle, with a Baja kit. The Baja kit was how my dad fixed it after it was totaled for the 4th time (before I got it.) I had to park it on a curb so I could 'pop' start it. The exhaust manifold was literally held on by beer cans and bailing wire. (We looked for colorful beer cans.)

It could and did float.

I went in the Navy after High School and returned it to my dad. within 2 months of it getting sold, it was totaled again, this time for the final. (I visited it in the junk yard when I came home on leave.)

My dad's told me stories about one of his many VW Beetles he had. He always had to park it on a hill (he lived in western Washington, so those weren't hard to find) so he could start it that way. He taught himself how to do all the engine repairs, so he stuck with Bugs for a long time - hence my first (and soon to be current, I hope!) car. :smile:
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Got my license in 1996 and my car was a 1965 Ford Mustang.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Mine was a 1979 Mercury Cougar XR7 that I bought for $1,000 when I was 17. I drove it through high school and college, putting over 115,000 miles on top of the 100,000 it had when I got it. It had the 351M and 3 speed FMX.

I painted it midnight blue metallic. Rebuilt the tranny with a shift kit with a blew up the planetary gear. I put on 400 heads, edelbrock manifold, holley 4 barrel, and a crane cam. Was a fun car, even if it was a big beast. The bottom end of the motor held together through all those miles even with the mods, tough as nails!

normal_79_cougar.jpg
  • skrullerull
    skrullerull Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    1985 Volvo 740GLE =)
  • irishscootz
    Options
    1977 Chevy Camero, White

1977_chevrolet_camaro-pic-51411.jpeg
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    1974 mint green AMC Gremlin. Held together with band-aids, duct tape, and bondo. Affectionately known as "The Pickle."