The udder truth

Options

Replies

• KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Can we have a separate board for fringe evangelicals, please?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    OMG - Heather Mills and The China Study in the same video.

Enough said.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you believe this, then don't consume dairy. Why must people try to ruin good things for everyone else, just because they read a study??
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I completely understand people's defensive reaction to this post, but please do the research. The milk industry spends hundreds of millions of dollars just in advertisement. They have programed people to think that dairy is needed, but ask someone that's Lacto-Intolerant, you can very easily get calcium from other means. Actually, there is a correlation between countries with high dairy intake and osteoporosis. This is because calcium from dairy does not get absorbed by the body in the same way as calcium from say broccoli.
    I am not telling people NOT to consume dairy, I am merely pointing our that if you have certain conditions, you might want to think about the amount of dairy you consume. Do an experiment- try cutting it down (out) for a week, see how you feel. If you feel better, great! If not, go back to dairy.
    I am not dogmatic, I just want to spread the knowledge that has been passed onto me, and has made such a difference in my health and quality of life.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    The dairy industry has changed A LOT. Today, the dairy is loaded with growth hormones to produce more milk, antibiotics because cows are over milked and get udder infections, and even given steroids.

Don't take my word for it- search for the truth.

Milk- Got pus?

Yeah I was actually going to refute all this for lurkers' benefit but I have a feeling it'll take care of itself. In for gifs.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I completely understand people's defensive reaction to this post, but please do the research. The milk industry spends hundreds of millions of dollars just in advertisement. They have programed people to think that dairy is needed, but ask someone that's Lacto-Intolerant, you can very easily get calcium from other means. Actually, there is a correlation between countries with high dairy intake and osteoporosis. This is because calcium from dairy does not get absorbed by the body in the same way as calcium from say broccoli.
    I am not telling people NOT to consume dairy, I am merely pointing our that if you have certain conditions, you might want to think about the amount of dairy you consume. Do an experiment- try cutting it down (out) for a week, see how you feel. If you feel better, great! If not, go back to dairy.
    I am not dogmatic, I just want to spread the knowledge that has been passed onto me, and has made such a difference in my health and quality of life.
    That is not what you said in your OP. You just stated "milk is linked to causing these illness" and then proceeded to list almost every ailment known to God and man.

Never once did you mention lacto intolerance.

Your original post is scaremongering at its best.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Gosh. How did I live to be 62 with no health problems (touch wood). I love dairy and have eaten it all my life.

The dairy industry has changed A LOT. Today, the dairy is loaded with growth hormones to produce more milk, antibiotics because cows are over milked and get udder infections, and even given steroids.

Milk- Got pus?

The cows that my milk comes from are self-milked. They walk into the machines themselves when they want to.

Growth hormone is illegal. Antibiotics overuse is admittedly a problem for bacterial resistance, although the cows don't get all these infections precisely because they get given them prophylactically. The pus thing is just nonsense.

Cucumbers- Got e-coli? Spinach - Got faeces?
  • ladyraven68
    Options

Milk - if you have some sort of intolerance, don't drink it

if you don't, then carry on.

That's all you need to say, the rest is just scaremongering and total bull.

Like that video claiming that cows are kept pregnant to keep producing milk - my eldest child is 20, and I would still be producing milk now if I had been expressing every day, mammals don't need to be continually pregnant to produce milk.
  • elfo
    Options
    That is not what you said in your OP. You just stated "milk is linked to causing these illness" and then proceeded to list almost every ailment known to God and man.

I didn't mean that just lacto people have these symptoms a lot of people can drink dairy and have aggrevated symptoms. I just meant that people who are lacto or vegan or choose not to drink dairy, have ALL found ways to get their calcium.
    Look obviously, people will eat whatever they are going to eat, but if people want to really educate themselves on the truth about the food industry then will be healthier for it. We have an obesity epidemic in this country - why do you think this is? Because the "food" that people are eating is NOT the same food as it was before. It's refined, highly processed, full of chemicals, and body altering ingredients.
  • ladyraven68
    Options

I didn't mean that just lacto people have these symptoms a lot of people can drink dairy and have aggrevated symptoms. I just meant that people who are lacto or vegan or choose not to drink dairy, have ALL found ways to get their calcium.
    Look obviously, people will eat whatever they are going to eat, but if people want to really educate themselves on the truth about the food industry then will be healthier for it. We have an obesity epidemic in this country - why do you think this is? Because the "food" that people are eating is NOT the same food as it was before. It's refined, highly processed, full of chemicals, and body altering ingredients.

No, we have an obesity epidemic because people eat more and move less.

Not because of dairy.
  • elfo
    Options
    This is from a scientific paper (not my opinion)

Milk--the promoter of chronic Western diseases.
    Melnik BC.
    Source

Department of Dermatology, Environmental Medicine and Health Theory, University of Osnabrück, Sedanstrasse 115, D-49090 Osnabrück, Germany. melnik@t-online.de
    Abstract

Common chronic diseases of Western societies, such as coronary heart disease, diabetes mellitus, cancer, hypertension, obesity, dementia, and allergic diseases are significantly influenced by dietary habits. Cow's milk and dairy products are nutritional staples in most Western societies. Milk and dairy product consumption is recommended by most nutritional societies because of their beneficial effects for calcium uptake and bone mineralization and as a source of valuable protein. However, the adverse long-term effects of milk and milk protein consumption on human health have been neglected. A hypothesis is presented, showing for the first time that milk protein consumption is an essential adverse environmental factor promoting most chronic diseases of Western societies. Milk protein consumption induces postprandial hyperinsulinaemia and shifts the growth hormone/insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) axis to permanently increased IGF-1 serum levels. Insulin/IGF-1 signalling is involved in the regulation of fetal growth, T-cell maturation in the thymus, linear growth, pathogenesis of acne, atherosclerosis, diabetes mellitus, obesity, cancer and neurodegenerative diseases, thus affecting most chronic diseases of Western societies. Of special concern is the possibility that milk intake during pregnancy adversely affects the early fetal programming of the IGF-1 axis which will influence health risks later in life. An accumulated body of evidence for the adverse effects of cow's milk consumption from fetal life to childhood, adolescence, adulthood and senescence will be provided which strengthens the presented hypothesis.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    not going there
  • Thomasm198
    Options

Complete nonsense. The reason there is an obesity problem is more to do with people stuffing their faces with food and doing no exercise. If they ate proper portions and got up of their chair and moved about there would be no obesity problem.
  • Thomasm198
    Options

Melnik BC.
    Source

Department of Dermatology, Environmental Medicine and Health Theory, University of Osnabrück, Sedanstrasse 115, D-49090 Osnabrück, Germany. melnik@t-online.de
    Abstract

Common chronic diseases of Western societies, such as coronary heart disease, diabetes mellitus, cancer, hypertension, obesity, dementia, and allergic diseases are significantly influenced by dietary habits. Cow's milk and dairy products are nutritional staples in most Western societies. Milk and dairy product consumption is recommended by most nutritional societies because of their beneficial effects for calcium uptake and bone mineralization and as a source of valuable protein. However, the adverse long-term effects of milk and milk protein consumption on human health have been neglected. A hypothesis is presented, showing for the first time that milk protein consumption is an essential adverse environmental factor promoting most chronic diseases of Western societies. Milk protein consumption induces postprandial hyperinsulinaemia and shifts the growth hormone/insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) axis to permanently increased IGF-1 serum levels. Insulin/IGF-1 signalling is involved in the regulation of fetal growth, T-cell maturation in the thymus, linear growth, pathogenesis of acne, atherosclerosis, diabetes mellitus, obesity, cancer and neurodegenerative diseases, thus affecting most chronic diseases of Western societies. Of special concern is the possibility that milk intake during pregnancy adversely affects the early fetal programming of the IGF-1 axis which will influence health risks later in life. An accumulated body of evidence for the adverse effects of cow's milk consumption from fetal life to childhood, adolescence, adulthood and senescence will be provided which strengthens the presented hypothesis.

They didn't say it's fact; they said it's a hypothesis.

hypothesis[ hahy-poth-uh-sis, hi- ]
    noun plural hy·poth·e·ses
    1. a proposition, or set of propositions, set forth as an explanation for the occurrence of some specified group of phenomena, either asserted merely as a provisional conjecture to guide investigation (working hypothesis) or accepted as highly probable in the light of established facts.

:noway:
  • ladyraven68
    Options

Melnik BC.
    Source

Abstract

Look, if you believe it, then stop drinking it, - Simples.

But please stop preaching at others.
  • Bethie_J
    Bethie_J Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Acne is caused by hormones and not by diet. Cutting out foods just means you make people miserable, calcium deficient, and wondering why they still have acne.

Eating dairy does alter peoples hormones.
    I know lots of people who have cut out dairy and are actually happier for it, healthier, and look great!
    There are lots of ways to get calcium, and actually a lot better ways to get calcium than dairy. I would recommend watching the documentary "Forks over Knives", if you want to check out the scientific evidence, Also, you can check out a short film here:
    www.tobecrude.wordpress.com

Oh, well, if there's a documentary AND a site on the interwebz, then it must be true!
  • Mrsjaybob
    Mrsjaybob Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Gosh. How did I live to be 62 with no health problems (touch wood). I love dairy and have eaten it all my life.

Milk- Got pus?

Ok. Let me try here. First, let me preface my statements by saying that I have degrees in Animal Science, Biochemistry and
    Agricultural Education. I have been working as a professional in the Agriculture Industry for 30 years. So I believe that I know a little about production agriculture and having grown up in the dairy industry, that as well. My statements reflect the Ag Industry in the United States, other countries rules may to be the same.

Growth hormones that may be given to dairy cows -( and are not given frequently to cattle as the increase in production is not really high enough to merit the time and expense of injection) are species specific. The hormone is Bovine Somatotropin. It will only effect members of the Bovine group. If you are not a cow, the hormone will not effect you. There is a similar growth hormone used in the hog industry, it is called Porcine Somatotropin. Again, species specific, if you are not a pig, it will not work in your body. Both of these Somatotropins help the animal to make more efficient use of the feed they are fed. In dairy cows, it helps the to put energy into milk production. In hogs, the hormone helps the animal to put energy into muscle (meat) production. Human Growth Hormone controls a lot of the endocrine function in the body. It is naturally produced by your pituitary gland at the base of your brain, just like BST and PST in the respective animal's bodies. HGH is necessary for growing children to achieve height and normal sexual hormone development, function and excretion. HGH, I given to a cow or pig would have no impact.

The comment relative to antibiotics in milk is erroneous. There are hold times on milk from cows that are being treated with any kind of medication, especially antibiotics. When milk is picked up from each producer a vial is drawn and labeled. That vial is tested when the full tanker reaches the processor. If any vial of milk tests positive for medications the ENTIRE tanker is dumped and the producer responsible for the contamination ends up with a very stiff fine, not to mention the cost of refunding the other producers on the tanker's route for contaminating their milk which now cannot be sold.

I have no clue where you got your information, but like the commercial tries to proclaim, "I read it on the Internet, they can't put anything on the Internet that isn't true" try again. Your source may not be all that reputable.

Off to have an ice cold glass of milk!
  • elfo
    Options
    The chemicals in today's food is highly addictive! People do not over eat because they are hungry.
    People are over fed and under nourished. We can agree to disagree, but I am merely stating the scientific evidence.
    What you're telling me then is that every other time in history people exercised, except for now right- wrong!
    The difference between now and 50 years ago is the FOOD! Yes people over eat, but the food that people are eating is tricking their bodies into thinking they need more food. People are becoming over fed and under nourished.
    Choose to do as you want, but I choose to spread the truth- read the abstract for the scientific paper I posted, watch "forks over knives" or read "the china study" and get back to me. Would love to further discuss. I appreciate the dialogue.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    We have obesity because all of our entertainment is visual now --- TV, video games, social media - all of which require we sit on our fat a$$e$ instead of moving them.
  • Thomasm198
    Options
    The chemicals in today's food is highly addictive! People do not over eat because they are hungry.
    People are over fed and under nourished. We can agree to disagree, but I am merely stating the scientific evidence.
    What you're telling me then is that every other time in history people exercised, except for now right- wrong!
    The difference between now and 50 years ago is the FOOD! Yes people over eat, but the food that people are eating is tricking their bodies into thinking they need more food. People are becoming over fed and under nourished.
    Choose to do as you want, but I choose to spread the truth- read the abstract for the scientific paper I posted, watch "forks over knives" or read "the china study" and get back to me. Would love to further discuss. I appreciate the dialogue.
    Wrong again. The difference between now and 50 years ago are:
    Nintendo Wii
    Playstations
    Xbox
    iPad
    iPod
    Smartphones
    Computers

See a trend? Children are spending more time sitting down than they did 50 years ago. A fat child will grow up to be a fat adult.