Pop tarts vs. Toaster Strudel

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Good gawd. How the hell did a thread about pop tarts vs toaster strudel become so nasty!?!?!? Very sad.

It's because all the "lets make certain food evil people" are jealous that we enjoy tasty tasty crap every now and again. :bigsmile:

Weird... I recall those same people saying they eat ice cream, fudge, etc on occasion

Your argument seems invalid... :)

I think it's more that the few people arguing refuse to ever agree with one another, but most would agree that treats that fit into their macros and calorie allotment are ok (whether they are poptarts, toaster strudel, or 70% organic dark chocolate).

Yep. We do all agree on that point. We simply have different definitions on how much of that calorie allotment they should take up. Many in this thread think it doesnt matter, and well... there are those who disagree with that philosophy.

*Personally* I think people with a higher BF% can have more "crap" in their diet than someone at a lower BF% like yourself. The types of food you eat and macros seem to have a much greater impact when you start trying to lose the "the last few pounds" or when trying to find your abs. But, I'm sure there will be a slew of people who disagree with me :laugh:

which kind of proves that a calorie isn't a calorie, huh?

i tend to agree in the sense that when you're trying to lose 100 pounds, no, it doesn't matter a damn WHAT you eat as long as you're at a deficit - you'll lose weight.

when a relatively fit person is trying to lower body fat while maintaining muscle mass, then it absolutely matters what you eat.

But you can still use some of your calories on things like ice-cream, pop tarts and the like and still get abs. Lowering body fat = caloric deficit. Maintaining LBM = enough protein and undertaking a good progressive strength training routine.

i disagree on the lowering body fat part. i think you can drop body fat while eating your TDEE.

What, you are saying that you cannot lower body fat while having those things?
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Both are FULL of nothing but sugar - but...if I had to choose it would be a strudel any day of the week. i do not think I have had pop tarts in years!!! Sugared cardboard..no thanks!!! Strudels at least have a nice flaky layer. Healthy wise though...stay clear from this crap! :) i do not even buy this for my kids!
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    But you can still use some of your calories on things like ice-cream, pop tarts and the like and still get abs. Lowering body fat = caloric deficit. Maintaining LBM = enough protein and undertaking a good progressive strength training routine.

Think thats his problem, i dont call p90x progressive strength training.

cute. P90X is hardly the only thing I do. but nice try. :flowerforyou:

Sorry couldnt tell.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Think thats his problem, i dont call p90x progressive strength training.

cute. P90X is hardly the only thing I do. but nice try. :flowerforyou:

Sorry couldnt tell.

lol wut? I wish I could post what I WANT to say regarding our respective profile pictures... haha
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Fried is always best... But Ive never fried a pop tart
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Strawberry toaster strudels with the cream cheese frosting.... I used to be able to sit and eat a whole box of 6 in one sitting.

Probably still could, but I'd more than likely curl up in a hole and die afterwards.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Good gawd. How the hell did a thread about pop tarts vs toaster strudel become so nasty!?!?!? Very sad.

It's because all the "lets make certain food evil people" are jealous that we enjoy tasty tasty crap every now and again. :bigsmile:

Weird... I recall those same people saying they eat ice cream, fudge, etc on occasion

I think it's more that the few people arguing refuse to ever agree with one another, but most would agree that treats that fit into their macros and calorie allotment are ok (whether they are poptarts, toaster strudel, or 70% organic dark chocolate).

Yep. We do all agree on that point. We simply have different definitions on how much of that calorie allotment they should take up. Many in this thread think it doesnt matter, and well... there are those who disagree with that philosophy.

*Personally* I think people with a higher BF% can have more "crap" in their diet than someone at a lower BF% like yourself. The types of food you eat and macros seem to have a much greater impact when you start trying to lose the "the last few pounds" or when trying to find your abs. But, I'm sure there will be a slew of people who disagree with me :laugh:

i tend to agree in the sense that when you're trying to lose 100 pounds, no, it doesn't matter a damn WHAT you eat as long as you're at a deficit - you'll lose weight.

when a relatively fit person is trying to lower body fat while maintaining muscle mass, then it absolutely matters what you eat.

i disagree on the lowering body fat part. i think you can drop body fat while eating your TDEE.

nope. didn't say that did i? when you're trying to lower body fat and maintain LBM, it's necessary to be more meticulous. that doesn't mean you can't fit in a pop tart, but you need to know exactly how it fits in your plan for the day.

in my personal experience, it works the best if your discretionary calories are a small percentage of your daily allotment. I use 10% as my number and its worked well. I know people go as high as 20% and find success, but I don't believe you can go higher than that and have a sub 10% body fat (for men) or a sub 14% or 15% for women.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

you most definitely can. you can also lower body fat without eating 100% "clean."

agreed. i've never once supported eating 100% clean. not once.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Both are FULL of nothing but sugar - but...if I had to choose it would be a strudel any day of the week. i do not think I have had pop tarts in years!!! Sugared cardboard..no thanks!!! Strudels at least have a nice flaky layer. Healthy wise though...stay clear from this crap! :) i do not even buy this for my kids!

14 g of sugar is hardly 200 calories. Your argument is completely invalid.

PoptartNutri_zpsff1ce8c0.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I'm not sure why people who admit to eating hot fudge would then spend several posts telling people not to eat treats that they don't eat. So weird.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

43g of macronutrients

36g of simple carbs that get metabolized as glucose

they're pretty much all sugar
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    lol wut? I wish I could post what I WANT to say regarding our respective profile pictures... haha

I used toasters Strudel's to bulk. Should have used poptarts i guess. Lesson learned.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

nope. didn't say that did i? when you're trying to lower body fat and maintain LBM, it's necessary to be more meticulous. that doesn't mean you can't fit in a pop tart, but you need to know exactly how it fits in your plan for the day.

in my personal experience, it works the best if your discretionary calories are a small percentage of your daily allotment. I use 10% as my number and its worked well. I know people go as high as 20% and find success, but I don't believe you can go higher than that and have a sub 10% body fat (for men) or a sub 14% or 15% for women.

I was clarifying what you were saying to ensure no misunderstanding, which is why I asked the question. Surely that is better than making assumptions. However, it seems as though you do not like me trying to do that based on the tone of the response.

I actually disagree that you cannot go higher than 20% discretionary to get a low BF% (and 18% for women is more comparable to a 10% for men) - whether it will be a good idea, I think we can agree that it will not.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I was clarifying what you were saying to ensure no misunderstanding, which is why I asked the question. Surely that is better than making assumptions. However, it seems as though you do not like me trying to do that based on the tone of the response.

I actually disagree that you cannot go higher than 20% discretionary to get a low BF% (and 18% for women is more comparable to a 10% for men) - whether it will be a good idea, I think we can agree that it will not.

thanks for that - wasn't sure off the top of my head what the comparable # would be

and no, there are no absolutes in all this. i'm sure someone, somewhere has lowered their body fat to sub 10/18% levels with higher than 20% discretionary intake - but as a rule it's not likely. we are agreed.
  • magerum
    Options

43g of macronutrients

I really only see 14 g of simple carbs. All carbs eventually get metabolized as glucose so unless you're going to call all carbs sugar from here on out...Based on that you ate 200g of sugar yesterday.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Toaster Strudels are a LOT tastier. Absolutely no comparison.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

43g of macronutrients

I really only see 14 g of simple carbs. All carbs eventually get metabolized as glucose so unless you're going to call all carbs sugar from here on out...Based on that you ate 200g of sugar yesterday.

well... all carbs do become glucose eventually. however simple carbs are metabolized quickly, like sugar. and enriched flours are simple carbs.
  • magerum
    Options

43g of macronutrients

well... all carbs do become glucose eventually. however simple carbs are metabolized quickly, like sugar. and enriched flours are simple carbs.

Primary ingredient isn't enriched flour. It's whole wheat flour, enriched is second. Which means out of the 36g carbs, 14 are sugar, 3 are fiber, that leaves 19 g for the rest. So it's safe to assume, based on labeling law, that out of the 19 at least 10g of this is whole wheat flower, leaving only 9 (at most) for enriched flour. So that brings simple carb total (at most) up to 23 g.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    TOASTER STRUDELS FTW.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts! But it has to be the strawberry milkshake ones.

american-kellogg-s-strawberry-milkshake-pop-tarts-397g-331-p.jpg