The conspiracy to make (and keep us) fat...

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

Anyway I'm off to eat my pop tart ice cream sandwich, you have fun without the bliss factor. I'm going to enjoy mine :bigsmile:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Many of us have heard of the "Bliss factor". I believe it. In fact, I eat foods that are delicious and make me feel great due to high sugar and fat content. However, I take responsibility for the things I eat, and don't go hog wild and blame it on the industry. It's hard to fight it when there are high calorie foods everywhere that you just want to keep eating. But in the end, it's up to the person whether or not they'll do what the industries want.

^ This.

You can look at this two ways, IMO.

1. It's a conspiracy and "food corporations" are in cahoots with the pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies and hospitals to get us sick and wring money from us.

or

2. We, as consumers, demand cheap, tasty, fattening food and the market is willing to provide it for us.

I think option #2 is much more likely.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Many of us have heard of the "Bliss factor". I believe it. In fact, I eat foods that are delicious and make me feel great due to high sugar and fat content. However, I take responsibility for the things I eat, and don't go hog wild and blame it on the industry. It's hard to fight it when there are high calorie foods everywhere that you just want to keep eating. But in the end, it's up to the person whether or not they'll do what the industries want.

This.

And honestly, I want my food manufacturers to make food as tasty and delicious as they possibly can. Who wants to choke down dinner and think, "Gah, glad THAT's over!?"
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    we're all going to die anyway...may as well enjoy the donuts and ice cream while we can :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

This.

And honestly, I want my food manufacturers to make food as tasty and delicious as they possibly can. Who wants to choke down dinner and think, "Gah, glad THAT's over!?"

I'm thinking we won't see Ben and Jerry's releasing crap flavored ice cream any time soon. But they really should, because I could totally avoid eating that.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I ate a snickers bar about 30 minutes ago.
  • oedisa
    oedisa Posts: 5
    Options
    I think is a combination of how and what is in the food that we eat and letting ourselves go for that feeling of satisfaction after a "fix" It did not hit me until I stopped drinking drinking sprite zero and diet 7-up just several months ago after ceasing in drinking the other types of sodas. Now I can not pass the taste of any of those but during the first day of ceasing in drinking that I actually felt like a junkie with headaches, dizziness and constant garble of my body which would not stopped if I had a drink of those but eventually I had to be stronger than my own body to reprogram it. Sure it took me several tries until I have succesfully done it! So in my opinion is a combination of how the food is process, pressure and the self of how far we are letting go of eating that kind of food. :smile:
  • WendySPWarren
    WendySPWarren Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents:
    1) Stop blaming others for not being able to control your eating. If you become obese from overeating 'bliss' food, it's not the food manufacturers fault for making it, it's your fault for knowingly sacrificing your long term goals for short term enjoyment.
    2) Everything is about moderation, no one is expecting you to give up pizza and go cold turkey completely. If you completely stop eating these foods, it's still letting it control your life.
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Every manufacturer of everything seeks to make their product more appealing to the consumer. Duh!

Tin hat nonsense does not relieve YOU of the responsibility for everything you put in your mouth. BS like this is soaked up by people who would rather subscribe to mindless conspiracy theories than actually engage their brains or their self control.

tinhatchick.jpg

Yey, the chick made it over from the "udder" thread :heart:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Every manufacturer of everything seeks to make their product more appealing to the consumer. Duh!

Tin hat nonsense does not relieve YOU of the responsibility for everything you put in your mouth. BS like this is soaked up by people who would rather subscribe to mindless conspiracy theories than actually engage their brains or their self control.

tinhatchick.jpg

QFT. Also for the cute chicken in a tinfoil hat.

x3 That's a cute chicken
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    OP never said she doesn't have responsibility for what goes in her mouth. In fact, she said she should steer clear rather than making it harder on herself. I think she understood her own body's reaction better and is then better equipped to take care of herself.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    I had pancakes this morning.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So the conspiracy is between our ancestors that ate to live and companies that make good that tastes good?

Got it, thanks
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I hate threads like this. THey pit my knowledge of nutrition and corporate greed against the people I like.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

tinhatchick.jpg

At this point, the thread should have just been closed for further comment due to the undeniable truth factor of this statement.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

tinhatchick.jpg

I am literally dry humping my laptop! :happy:
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options

You can look at this two ways, IMO.

1. It's a conspiracy and "food corporations" are in cahoots with the pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies and hospitals to get us sick and wring money from us.

or

2. We, as consumers, demand cheap, tasty, fattening food and the market is willing to provide it for us.

I think option #2 is much more likely.

I agree. As long as there are consumers, they will continue to produce it. I do agree it is harder for me to stop eating these items if I go back to them in a moment of weakness. That is why it is up to me to make better choices. Something, I'll admit I haven't been doing and I can feel the difference. It isn't taste I'm always going for, most of the time it is convenience.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    we're all going to die anyway...may as well enjoy the donuts and ice cream while we can :drinker: :bigsmile:

This!!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Interesting perspective but if you want to talk about food history, it is more accurate to say that humans only ate lunch before the invention of the light bulb. Breakfast was practiced by some, mainly the rich but for the most part humans only ate lunch before the industrial revolution.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Interesting perspective but if you want to talk about food history, it is more accurate to say that humans only ate lunch before the invention of the light bulb. Breakfast was practiced by some, mainly the rich but for the most part humans only ate lunch before the industrial revolution.

Not sure how relevant