The conspiracy to make (and keep us) fat...

Options

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Typical MFP douche bags downing a thread by someone just putting something out there.
  • beaudrydasha
    beaudrydasha Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That's fabulous. Chicken Little as the corner nutjob, I LOVE this.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Typical MFP douche bags downing a thread by someone just putting something out there.

zUzuuf3.gif
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Just eat real food. Fresh food.

Big business won't change until consumers stop buying the packaged stuff.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Every manufacturer of everything seeks to make their product more appealing to the consumer. Duh!

Tin hat nonsense does not relieve YOU of the responsibility for everything you put in your mouth. BS like this is soaked up by people who would rather subscribe to mindless conspiracy theories than actually engage their brains or their self control.

tinhatchick.jpg

It looks like Chicken Little is wearing a Hershey's Kiss if you ask me.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Well you all keep believing that. I just finished two beers after downing half a bag of chips, 400 calories worth of Heath Bar Ice Cream, and am about to dig into some spicy chicken wings and fettuccine alfredo from the local pizza shop. I'd be happy to compare health stats any time.

You. I like you. Although, I can't eat like that and lose weight. At least more than once a week. Hand me a wing, willya?
  • msvsbarbie
    Options
    It's funny because I watched forks over knives with my fiance and it really really changed our perception of everything. I've been 100% vegan and 90% raw for soon to be two years, my hypothyroidism went away proven by blood work, my acne cleared up, my hair grew faster, and I slept much better and wasn't so drained all the time after I changed my diet around. I think meat and dairy is one big conspiracy and I say this because we're not told about the high amounts of proteins we can get from beans which are also very high in fiber, we are not told about the high amounts of proteins we can get from greens such as spinach and broccoli, and yet we are constantly told that we need to eat dairy and meat to survive. I have been a full on vegetarian for almost 3 years and a vegan for soon to be 2 years and in the past and I have not gotten sick once, I'm 18...three years ago in high school I missed 26 days out of a 180 day school year because I was so sick and exhausted all the time. I am living proof of how we are brain washed to think everything backwards and how I changed my life around once I realized this.
    Vegans often attribute cutting meat/dairy to any beneficial changes in their life while ignoring the fact that many also cut refined/processed carbs and sugars.

If you notice, BOTH raw vegan and paleo dieters state incredibly positive changes to adopting the diets they have... and the ONLY thing in common is the elimination of refined/processed carbohydrates and often the introduction of more fresh/whole foods.

This indicates meat/dairy isn't the problem, but the refined/processed carbohydrate and lack of fresh/whole foods in people's diet.
    That is not true. I eat more carbohydrates than ever with apples, bananas, mangos, melon and so forth. Carbs actually make our metabolism work faster. Dairy and meat slows down our metabolism, slows and thickens our blood flow, and makes us more fatigued.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Just eat real food. Fresh food.

Big business won't change until consumers stop buying the packaged stuff.

And if people demanded awesome tasting healthy food and were willing to pay for it, they'd fall all over themselves to provide it. Then I suppose people would complain about all that healthy real fresh food being so tasty and convenient that they can't stop eating THAT either. Hmm. Think I see a common thread, here.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    this thread had so much win the first few posts! knowledge is power y'all.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

QFT
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Nah, this thread was win-free till this douche (me) added the tin foil hat chick. THAT was win.

The conspiracy theory may actually have some merit. I heard that Skynet sent some Monsanto reps back in time to the cave man days to get us all addicted to unhealthy foods so we'd be ripe for the picking on judgement day.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Nah, this thread was win-free till this douche (me) added the tin foil hat chick. THAT was win.

The conspiracy theory may actually have some merit. I heard that Skynet sent some Monsanto reps back in time to the cave man days to get us all addicted to unhealthy foods so we'd be ripe for the picking on judgement day.

you're only right in that it's not really a conspiracy so much as it is business as usual. companies are out to make profit, and as much of it as they can, regardless of our health.

it's our job to realize this and do something about it - to be informed consumers that FORCE them to start changing their practices. Unfortunately with the new laws going on the books re: Monsanto, that's getting much, much harder to do.
  • titanbonnie
    Options
    thank.you.
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There's nothing new here. This is old news (not to say your comments aren't worthy)...it's just that, that's what has been done for hundreds of years. It's just that it gets easier and easier with the technology we have today.

Ultimately, we're all responsible for what we put in our mouths. I've eaten my share of M&M's, Twinkies and then some (that's how I got to 450lbs)...Man, I enjoyed it.

But it's up to us to do better.

If we stop buying crap, they will stop selling it. If there's no profit in it, they won't make it.

-BootJockey
    -250lbs
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I wish I had learned those lessons when I was your age!!! :-)

-BootJockey
    -250lbs
  • nicolej1016
    nicolej1016 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    People...can we stop being so snarky to each other? Really! Some of the comments on here...

My 2 cents:

Everything in moderation
    Discipline yourself
    Think about where your food came from
    Make wise choices

And finally, while I do not believe in conspiracies out to get us, the food industry is a profit-driven enterprise and will operate as such. I do not expect altruistic motives from any corporation. We have to be wise consumers and take ownership of our choices. Fast Food Nation is a book that gives some good insights on this.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    People...can we stop being so snarky to each other? Really! Some of the comments on here...

Sorry teacher, we'll be nice from now on.
  • iAMsmiling
    Options

you're only right in that it's not really a conspiracy so much as it is business as usual. companies are out to make profit, and as much of it as they can, regardless of our health.

it's our job to realize this and do something about it - to be informed consumers that FORCE them to start changing their practices. Unfortunately with the new laws going on the books re: Monsanto, that's getting much, much harder to do.

The market is all powerful.
    It will do what it will do to satisfy demand.
    Government can only work around the edges of that situation and they usually muck up most of what they do try to fix.

I have to agree with your implication that they don't care about our health. They exist to sell a product and make a profit. When the consumer chooses a healthy path they will provide for that path to remain profitable.

Nothing changes till then.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

The market is all powerful.
    It will do what it will do to satisfy demand.
    Government can only work around the edges of that situation and they usually muck up most of what they do try to fix.

I have to agree with your implication that they don't care about our health. They exist to sell a product and make a profit. When the consumer chooses a healthy path they will provide for that path to remain profitable.

Nothing changes till then.

uh oh... we agree again.
  • iAMsmiling
    Options

My 2 cents:

Everything in moderation
    Discipline yourself
    Think about where your food came from
    Make wise choices

And finally, while I do not believe in conspiracies out to get us, the food industry is a profit-driven enterprise and will operate as such. I do not expect altruistic motives from any corporation. We have to be wise consumers and take ownership of our choices. Fast Food Nation is a book that gives some good insights on this.

Except that you seem likely to write my name on the blackboard, I agree with everything you said.
    (I'm married to a teacher. Eternity in detention is my lot.)