WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY

Options

Replies

• mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    :smile: "Nordic Walking is an enhancement of ordinary walking – it makes something we can all do…. twice as effective!
    Nordic Walking uses poles to in order to add two major benefits to walking

The use of poles means the upper body muscles are used as well as the legs
    The poles help to propel the walker along – this means he/she works harder than usual yet the support given by the poles makes it feel easier! " ..............from the Nordic Walking Web site introduction

:flowerforyou: Afternoon All .....
    Just a quick nip in with something that you may well have heard of ...I hadn't though ...so forgive me if it's repetition!!!

I saw a Country File programme on TV and they showed "Nordic Walking" ...that looked a really good work out.
    It's walking with poles and would I think be good to try.
    :laugh: It might take me a month of Sundays to give it a go but maybe some of my fellow MFP's could give it a try!!
    I'll just be content with getting to the Zumba class on Wednesday!!!

Cheers for now
    :heart: Jackie
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    April goals:
    Keep things positive -- actions, thoughts, words.
    Take time for yourself -- Do some form of exercise every day!!
    Pack healthy lunches. Drink your water!

Well, here it is report card and goal setting time. As last month's goals were very general...I did okay on keeping them, except I did fall down a little in the middle of the month on the exercise and a little at the end of the month on the healthy lunches! The good news is that I did wind up minus two pounds from March 31 to today! Bad news is I'm still up .4 from my mid-month of April low! The other good news for the month of April is: I was able to buy size 10 pants for the first time in FOREVER, or so it seems!

In May we are going to California for two weeks--driving both ways and stopping to visit folks along the way. So the goals are going to have to be:

Walk or swim every day!
    Count and log all your calories.
    Stay in touch and on-line at MFP.
    Lose 3 pounds this month!

:flowerforyou: Welcome Caminogirl.

Barb (Weak Link and Barbiecat) hang in there. We :love: reading your posts, but totally understand that personal posting to each and every one every time is getting a little hard to do:tongue: !

That's it for now. Have a great day everyone.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Welcome Caminogirl! Honestly tracking what you eat is the first step. After that it gets easier.

Weaklink (Barb) – I’m glad you are staying with us. We’d be lost without your posts.

Barbie - ditto on the overwelming feeling when you open up the forum and see how many posts there have been. It is hard to respond individually. I think we all play an important part in each others lifes and we need to just post and respond when and as we can. I'm glad your here.

May Goals - same as April except with more determination. DD is doing well and things should ease up this month. I hope to start loosing again.

Happy Monday to all!

Jeannie (JAM)
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    I confess haven't read all the post this morning.

Terri, size 10 I am so impressed, you are a superstar!!!!

Beautiful spring day here. I am again a farmer today rather than my usual work. Actually I will do anything in the way of work in our business from accounting to graphics work, to farm chores. I love the variety. My problem right now is trying to balance my calories against my expenditures.

Love the naughty doggie stories; heres one from the farm.

Buster my old beagle learned long ago how to open the back door on the house. He would stand up and turn the door knob with his front feet. Try as I might I could not teach him to shut the door,

My Mom, who was then in her late 80s stopped over, to find the backdoor of my house open, me not at home, and the dog and a pygmy goat named Wilma playing in my house. She chased Wilma through the house with all doors open in an attempt to get her outside. We unfortunately have a house on the circle plan so Wilma just kept running around the circle and down the hall, where she would jump on the bed, and then dive under the bed to escape capture, streak down the hall and around the circle again. Mom pursuing her all the way, fast as she could go considering her cane, and the fact that she found the whole thing so funny she couldn't stop laughing.

Wilma was routed from the bedroom and doors were shut all over the house. Mom gave up on getting her out and left the back door open. Wilma finally wandered out and the house was saved. Wilma was a very good manned goat. She rode in the truck with us between farms, and was generally left loose in the farm yard. After this adventure she went in the pasture.

Buster lived to a very old age. He was a pound pup, the pound used to call every few years to see if he was still alive, as they were amazed at his longevity. He was a great animal companion.

My how I have rambled. Past time to be out and about. Alice
  • ainslieglen
    ainslieglen Posts: 110
    Options
    Hi everyone...

It's still early in the day and I already feel like such a failure. I got on the scale first thing and I'm up 1 1/2 pounds. What a sinking, sick feeling. Sorry to be a whiner, but it's such a shock. I really thought I'd be down! All I can do today is my best to drink a lot more water. I've been falling way short of the 8 glasses a day. I know I'm dumping on you guys, but I had to tell someone how bad I feel. OK, enough complaining.:sad: I'll do better today:drinker: :bigsmile:

It is so cold and rainy here today, I'm going to cuddle up with their dog, Piper, and stay warm. She's a 3 year old Golden Retriever, and just the sweetest, gentlest girl!

Sending a hug to each of you, my friends. Going to cut this short and go feel sorry for myself then start all over again at Saturday when I was a pound down:bigsmile:

Thanks for being here...Ainslieglen:flowerforyou:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    aieslieglen,
    Dont get discouraged. It could be a number of things. just keep doing what you have been and add that water and it will happen. That is why I do not weight very often. If I gain or do not lose I get very discouraged. It is okay to dump on us. That is what we are here for. You can do this. Dont give up.
    Vicki M
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Terri, Great job on the pounds and the size 10. That is my next goal Good for you. Have a great trip. Just pack some good snacks and do as much exercise as you can and you can have a great trip and not gain lots of weight. Your posts are always so uplifting. Thanks.
    Vicki M
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Just a quick stop on my way through the office. Aieslieglen don't beat yourself up drink some more get some rest, clear your mind and restart.

Vikki read your post on the oil spill and consequences. Very concise and to the point. There are consequences to everything, we do not take time to think about. It is so easy to seize the obvious and run it into the ground, without thought for the eventual outcome.

Has anyone done Jillians Backside for Beginners? Did it yesterday after a 1 mile booster with Leslie. Liked the workout not sure if I nailed all the moves properly:huh: . Just wondering if anyone else has tried it.

Alice
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Ainslieglen - Hey it's good to know I'm not the only one whining lately! :embarassed: As others have said, it's probably at least partly the water. Drink up!:drinker: Travel always messes me up as well. If you keep at it, you will most likely soon see results. :smile:

Now I have to take my own advise! :bigsmile: I got in all my water yesterday and am heading off to the gym when I get done here.

I was just out on whitefly patrol on my eggplant and peppers. Does anyone know a good insecticide for whitefly? I don't have fruits yet, so I can zap them, if I can find anything that will work well. :angry:

Sunny and nice breeze here today, wishing you all could have the same. I am thinking about those in flood conditions and on oil spill watch and am sorry that all I can do is say I wish it wasn't so. I keep hoping and praying that the oil spill can be capped soon. The only positive though I can come up with is that Valdez, Alaska was healed much sooner that most thought possible. Hopefully the same can be said for the gulf area.

Faye
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm back from my camping trip / triathlon. I did the Half-ironman course this year -- first time at that distance and I had an awesome time and was very happy with my performance!

I did go a bit nuts with the advil on the run trying to manage the pain in my calf and gave myself some gastric distress. I'm just now getting back to being able to eat without feeling queasy. I have a lot of calories to make up. I think. I was without internet so didn't track Fri-Sun. But I didn't eat that much on Sunday because I felt sick so I know I'm behind.

I did okay on my goals for April, but not great. I think I'm on the verge of mastering the earlier bedtime though. I'm very behind in my blogging.

Today I finally feel sore so I'm not going to workout. I don't normally on Monday anyway but normally I do on Sunday and I didn't yesterday because I was still recovering.

Goals for May:
    10:00 pm bedtime most days
    Drink 80-100 oz. of fluid a day
    Consume 125 g of protein a day
    Heal my calf injury and get back to full workouts
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    congrat MacMadame. You are so inspiring. I just can't imagine a half Ironman. Wow. It makes my little five minutes sprints ( I am up to 5 of them in 30 minutes) seem puny. You rock.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I read everybody this morning, and Alice, your goat story was hilarious!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I already posted this story a while back, but your post reminded me about when my aunt who lived on a farm came into the house one day and heard the bed springs squeaking. Thinking it was her kids jumping on the bed, she hollered at them to stop and get back to work in the garden. Getting no response, she went to the bedroom and found TWO young goats merrily jumping on the bed!!! So there WERE kids jumping in the bed--just not the ones she thought!!!:laugh: :laugh:

Ainslieglen--I feel your pain. I finally have to face the music for April, and it is not a song I want to play in the future. On April 4th I weighed 5.5 lbs. LESS than I did this morning!:mad: :mad: :mad: :sad: :sad: :sad: I did it to myself. Over the past week, there have been too many "MayaSWELLS" & as we know, the scale doesn't lie.:grumble: So I need to get back on the horse. Also, now that I have some space in the storage unit, I can get some things out of my condo so I can get my rug shampooing done and get that Total Gym set up. It has been languishing in the garage for 3 weeks, still in the box, and as we all know, it isn't doing me any good there!!!

So my goals for May are, 1) to get my ticker moved to 60 lbs. down by the end of May, which would mean losing about 12 lbs. The first 3 should be pretty quick as it is probably water due to some high sodium days on Saturday and Sunday;2) exercise 6 days per week, using the TG 3 x's per week; 3) refocus on the things I had done in the past that worked--IE "just say no" more often!!!

BTW, Terri, congrats on the size 10. That is just a distant planet for me right now in my size 16's!!:ohwell:

Got to get a move on.

Barb
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hey Robin

How was the Mariner game? Did they manage to finish before the rain arrived? Hope you had a great time.

Barb
  • ainslieglen
    ainslieglen Posts: 110
    Options
    Thanks Barb(weaklink), I've been mainlining water all morning. Don't like to think I'm backsliding!...Ainslieglen:noway:P.S..I haven't recorded the gain until I see how much the water helps. If I'm still up tomorrow, I'll add it on.:sad:
  • caminogirl
    caminogirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hello Ainslielglen, Don't think of it as whining, think of it as merely a "hippo moment" - wallow around awhile, then get up and go again. We all have them and my thoughts are with you - and take heart, you've gone for the water where I might have been tempted with the mint chocolate chip ice cream, my personal hippo fave!
    Cheers, Caminogirl
  • smelliott
    smelliott Posts: 120
    Options
    Just a quick post to mark this for tomorrow. I will catch up then.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Quick Hello to you all

:flowerforyou: Barb I really enjoy reading your posts, so I'm glad that you have decided to stick with us. :bigsmile:

It's been a rainy bank holiday Monday, a few sunny spells but mainly rain. :frown: I've been busy catching up on my housework and popping round to see my uncle, he's in bed again so I left him some soup in a flask at the side of his bed. He said he's feeling better but just a bit tired and couldn't be bothered to get out of bed.

:flowerforyou: Caminogirl loved the "hippo moment" expression, must admit I was wallowing a bit on Sunday, but luckily the scales have stayed the same.:smile:

:flowerforyou: Only a short post tonight.

Chat again soon.

Viv :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: ainslieglen on the topic of the scale:mad: :mad: :mad: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
    It is not always your friend........I weigh myself first thing in the morning and last thing at night everyday and write the weight down on a chart I keep in the bathroom...yes, I am probably too structured and compulsive for my own good:laugh: the morning weight is more legitimate and it wanders around in the same three pound range now that I'm maintaining...........when I was losing, I didn't take a weight seriously until I had been there for a week......what I noticed more than the scale was how my clothes fit...so go ahead and weigh yourself a lot but don't get emotionally involved in what it says....cuddling with a Golden Retriever is a great cure for whatever ails you :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Terri,I am thrilled to hear about your size 10 pants.....smaller clothes is really the best measure of success.....you have taught me so much and been such an encouragement to all of us......enjoy your trip....take it one day at a time and stay focused on what is most important to you.

:flowerforyou: Alice, your goat story is so great that I had to read it to my hubby :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: MacMadame, congratulations on your Ironman success......you are so focused and so willing to push through the pain......you have the never, never, never give up spirit........it's so confusing trying to decide whether to keep on going through something that hurts.

:flowerforyou: After two days of rain and no visit to the park, I'll be taking the dogs today even though the wind is blustery.
    :heart: hugs to all of you:heart: we can do this one day at a time. Barbie
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    the mariner game was great. No rain even tho it went into extra innings. Safeco is very good about letting you bring in food. Just no beverages. So I munched my carrots while I enjoyed the game. They lost. oh well. It was still a blast.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hello Me again.

Had some pc work to do and couldn't help popping in. Thank you to all who have said positive things about my posting.

I can see that Jackie and I have some competition in the funny department--"hippo moment" :noway: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: HILARIOUS!! So far I haven't had one of those yet today. Welcome caminogirl!!

Viv-Is there any chance your uncle needs treatment for depression? That can manifest itself with people just not feeling like getting out of bed.

BFN

Barb