WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• gonzamm
    gonzamm Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    yanniejannie: Congrats on your weight loss. You are doing an awesome job!
  • gonzamm
    Options
    peachstategal: My prayers are with you and your husband. May he have a speedy recovery.
  • gonzamm
    Options
    Too funny. Thanks for the laugh this morning.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies from a very grey and wet London town.

I got soaked on the way to work, but I will take rain over snow any day.

I am still wearing full thermals under my clothes every day. It will be a real shock to the system if it ever gets warm enough for me to do without them!

For those that asked, I do eat eggs and cheese, but not much of it as it isn't kind to my IBS. I've been vegetarian since I was 17 and was actually a vegan up until about ten years ago when my doctor sat me down and talked me through all my dietary problems associated with my veganism.

I'm not a huge fan of tofu, but do eat quorn quite a lot. I also eat chick peas.

Got to run, work calls, but will pop back later.

Love
    Amanda x
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all!

Big day for me – I have to have a biopsy on a lump that was discovered last week on my mammogram. I had to go back for another mammo, then two sonograms and now the biopsy. The radiologist thinks it’s a cyst but just couldn’t tell for sure on the sonogram films so here we are…… would appreciate your prayers if you are so inclined. We won’t hear back from the doctor until later this week so I will just keep busy until then, which isn’t difficult considering how crazy things are at work right now.

You guys are cracking me up, with the Tonette perm memories. On a similar note, I used to help my sister “frost” her hair (aka highlight). Once, we put the stuff on and then lost track of the time (oops). The solution literally stripped all of the color out of her hair – it was this black and grey mess – and my mom had to take her to the beauty parlor (love that old term) to have it died back to its normal color. And THAT was the end of our days as hair colorists!

Juanita – congratulations on the good colonoscopy results! I lost a couple of pounds when I was on liquids only but didn’t end up gaining them back. Hoping the same for you!

Doglady – an interesting month for you so far…. At least the 5k probably cancels out the Easter eggs, right?

Janice – I know what you mean about end-of-day hunger. I have this urge to eat even when I know I can’t really be hungry. I leave myself some room for that in my calorie count and then eat some fruit or something low cal/low fat. Last night, it was whipped parfait which has only 70 calories and no fat. Not too bad and it satisfied me.

Oldbroad – you and I have similar goals, good luck!

Shari – good for you, extending your time on the treadmill! Stupid question – how do you read this thread on your phone? I have an Iphone and can post to my diary and see my newsfeed but I have never been able to find the forums.

Meg – I was having the same problems with my pedometer not registering accurately – kept moving it around and it was just inconsistent. That prompted me to buy my Fitbit and it is awesome. You can wear it anywhere; it even registers steps if it’s in your pocket or purse. I bought the cheaper one (the Zip model) for less than $60 dollars and I love it.

Michele – I continue to pray that Bryan will wake up and realize that he is treating you and Vince unfairly. It really is remarkable that he thinks its okay to do so but then ask you for a large sum of money. I do agree with your desire to attend the wedding - it would be tough to miss it. I always try to focus on my own actions in a tough situation like this – you can’t control what Bryan does but you CAN control how you act and react. Hang in there.

Ok, better go get the day started. Have a good one, everyone!

Sandy in central Ohio, where it will be in the 70s today!!!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,801 Member
    Options
    I am saving money and going to get a fit bit flex, that will be a reward for when I maybe hit 30 lbs.
    The pollen count here now is wicked and now I have a scratchy throat and feeling yucky~ I dont want to get sick:angry:
    not going to go to the gym today, not feeling well enough to and don't feel much like eating,that could be a good thing:wink: today is my long day have to work until 6pm, I worry that I might come home to suprises left by Homer and Chester lol will take them out for a nice walk before I go,
    cloudy and had some rain last night but will be in the 70's today:bigsmile:
    where I work ,the place bakes when the sun comes out we had the window's open yesterday and will probably have them open again today.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Not a lot of time this morning:grumble: !

Peachstategal:smile: Sending prayers your way for you and hubby:flowerforyou: !!!!

Sandy:smile: Prayers being sent your way too:flowerforyou: ! I know that has to be really scary!!! I had a scare once too, didn`t have to have a biopsy though, will be thinking of you all day today!!!

Love all the hair stories:laugh: . I once frosted a friends hair and it turned orange:noway: :laugh: , I think she ended up putting color back on it. I never attempted anything like that again!!!

Michele:smile: I would go to the wedding no matter what! If the weather keeps up, you`ll be opening the pool soon!

Jb:smile: Love the poem:laugh: !!!

Barbie:smile: Sure wish I could reply the way I used to, seems I don`thave enough time these days:cry: ! I know all your fur babies are so happy to have you home again! The pizza sounds delish!

Have a wonderful day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunny and warm NC:glasses:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone from rainy Hampshire! Today I have my lymphatic drainage massage appointment, which I always enjoy as the therapist is so nice. We always have a good laugh and I advise her on her love life.
    I managed to control my calories yesterday at my brother's huge lunch and only ate 200 in the evening so ended up the day at 1750( I had exercised off 400 before I went.) A bit of an NSV I think. And I didn't criticise his ever growing belly ( he has type 2 diabetis )
    For those who have said they are interested I am following a book called "5 minute facelift" by Reinhold Benz. I got it from Amazon, but I should think the videos on the net are fine too. I did have a quick look at one or two of those.
    For my knees I went yo a sports therapist at the gym I was going to then, but it was open to everyone. I had to pay of course, which hurts in Britain with the NHS. She did what a life time of doctors have been unable to do, diagnosed the problem correctly and set me exercises. I have since also found the stationary cycle has strengthened my legs no end.
    Yesterday my new 2 lb dumbells arrived. I am looking forward to using them to get rid of my batwings.
    To those of you with troubles and trials in your lives I send my love and I am thinking of you. Currently my life is good, but it has not always been that way, believe me, and I am definitely counting my blessings and not feeling complacent.
    :love:
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies

@Meg sorry you are not feeling well
    @Barbie welcome back and glad Jake is home too
    @Michele so sorry you are going through such a hard time. Praying for you. I agree with you I would want yo be there no matter what.
    @Peachstateg sending prayers for your DH and tor you.
    @JB thanks for the poem love it.
    @Sandy the idea of a biopsy can be scarey sending prayers your way.
    @Amanda we are going through a fold spell to here. Pull back out my warmer clothes.
    @grandmollie my throat has been hurting to assumed allergies but now know its a headcold.
    @Dee I have been noticing that I too react to sodium. I am more sensitive to it than I had thought.

To everyone hurting my thoughts are with you

Need to get ready for work now. Wishing everyone a nice Tuesday.

Liz from Idaho
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Juanita – glad to hear your colonoscopy is done and went well. Yay for Spring birds!!

Dogladytwo – Wow, congratulations on running your first 5k!

Janice – That IS a hard combination!! Have you tried increasing your water at that point? If not, maybe that will help.

Oldbroad51 – Good goals, I too only weigh once per week!

Sweetmissie – You are so right, each pound is a success in and of itself. Welcome to our group, you’ll find it hugely supportive!

Shari in NE Ohio – Nice to hear your treadmill time was (somewhat) eased by reading our posts, glad we could help! Hope your hips and back feel better

Meg – I was having the same issue with my pedometer, I moved it per some instruction to sit on my hip (must wear pants/sweats with pockets!) and it now seems to be more accurate – at least it feels like it is! Also, great NSV with the bracelet - - glad you didn’t lose it!

OMG, I too ironed my hair! I remember kneeling in front of the ironing board when my brother walked in with his best-looking friend - - I was mortified! LOL what we do for beauty!

Gonzamm – Your goal makes me smile! Your husband (and your knees) will be grateful and you will feel strong and beautiful too

Sandy in OH – Prayers going your way for a clean and clear mammo!

Barbie – Isn’t it wonderful to have your furkids greet you again! My cat is currently in my lap as I type and the dog is curled up in the chair across the room! They give me such joy and comfort - - unconditional love in a fur coat!

Liz in Idaho – sorry you’ve got a cold, hope it comes and goes quickly and you’re feeling 100% soon!

Brooke from Colorado

“Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.”
  • purple_power61
    purple_power61 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    its nice to find a group that struggles with weight loss in the same ways that I do! Started losing (again) 9 days ago.... and I have to say I'm doing pretty well so far. The last few years has been a struggle for me to lose because I cook for a living... but being at my heaviest right now I'm determined to keep plucking along! I look forward to reading your posts!

:drinker: :happy:
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Lucy- I hear you about the messy house, I also used to freak out over it years ago. With age I too just don’t stress over that sort of silliness any more . BTW, it is Tuesday and I’m still working on it (Foyer) I got an unplanned invite to dinner last evening. I did however manage to get the curio and the entire collection it houses cleaned and put back together.:smile:

Katla- Oh those dreaded Tonette perms! I had several as a child and cried for days after words! I just don’t understand why my Mom wanted me to look like Shirley Temple! You would think that after the first perm she gave me and I turned out looking like Marty Allen instead of Shirley she would have quit, but oh no not my Mom! Hahahaha! :laugh:

Meg- Thank you and the paint job turned out beautiful, hope to finish putting the room back together today:smile:

Barbie- smiling to see that your furry friends are all back where they belong! :bigsmile:

Sandy- sending many prayers your way:flowerforyou:

Real quick, I'm running late, I stared this at 6:30am.
    My prayers for those who need them and Congrats to all who are happy with their journeys and progress!
    Have a wonderful day Friends! Drink your water!
    Peace ~N~ Hugs
    Carol in WNY
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Good Morning from Nebraska. We had 70 degree weather yesterday and rain storms alnight. Today they are talking 1-3 inches of snow. Got to love it.
    I was bummed this morning as I gained 1 pound this last week, So have to take another look at what I am eating.
    ohiomomof2- Good Luck on your biopsy, said a prayer.
    I enjoy reading all the updates and know that I am not in this alone.
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies!

I finally got around to checking out my lab results from my bio screening last December – gloating ahead – my cholesterol, which is generally low anyway, was excellent. It’s 166, with a 69 HDL/81 LDL/75 Triglycerides – I think I’ll be OK. My blood sugar is still a little off – it was 97 with a fasting test – it seems kind of high to me if 110 is the cut-off. I’ve been watched for gestational diabetes when I was pregnant, and occasionally the numbers are too high when I haven’t fasted before a test (once I didn’t know I was getting the test and had a donut before going to the md’s – not a good idea!). However I don’t really know any good exercises for a pancreas, so I guess I’m just going to have to keep watching my weight and diet :laugh:.

Eating was terrible yesterday – shameful, really. I grazed throughout the day on junk, then DH decided he wanted to go out to eat, so we wound up at a local tavern for pub grub – I had a hummus platter, which wasn’t too bad, but I had a few French fries too, and an adult beverage . . . just an all-around junky day. Back on track today. Already worked out and drank my protein shake, planning on working in the garden and getting housework caught up in between doing my day job. No DH tonight, so it’s just me, a healthy spinach strawberry salad, and the Phillies.

CityJane, you’ll have to tell us what the massage is like. I’ve not heard of it before. I hope you had fun at your brother’s. Congratulations on all the progress on your joints and getting rid of your batwings. I’ve had great success with using weights to strengthen and tone my arms.

Grandmallie, I’ve been reading that they’re expecting the east coast to have horrible pollen counts this year. Getting out for a walk with the puppies is a good thing and counts as exercise too. Enjoy your day.

Sandy, keeping you in my thoughts today that the biopsy comes back clean.

Amanda, what’s up with London? It’s supposed to be spring and flowers! I too each cheese and dairy – I’m trying to dial it back a bit but I need to keep my protein counts up, and it’s hard without it. The only thing I really limit/don’t eat is the soy-based “meat” products. I do however like tofu (well, don’t mind it). At the end of the day, even though my vegetarianism is health-based I’m not going to substitute fake foods for real ones – I’ll just limit the ones that aren’t as healthy for me (when I’m not busy eating French fries, she says with irony).

Katla, I’m dying to know what your aunt may have said that is no longer accepted – I can’t think of anything in this “anything goes” day and age (she says without the slightest bit of irony :laugh:). I am mulling over buying a groupon for a yoga/pilates studio near me - $30 for an unlimited month. It seems like a good deal even if I go for only a couple of days a week, and it will get me out of the house. The perm stories are cracking me up. I’ll have to post the pic from school after my mom gave me one – I’ll never live down that story/pic.

Michele, I think you’re coming to a good place with the wedding. You’ve made it clear from the very start how much you were looking forward to it, and I know you want to see your son, and think how fun it will be to see where he lives. Be excited for him and leave the regret at home. Or take out your frustration with the pickax and shovel – that’s another approach :wink:.

Jackie, I’ll have to check out that site on the green smoothies. I just bought a ninja blender, but my smoothies are still pretty boring – protein powder, bananas and berries, some ground flax.

Renny, I hope you made it to zumba – it’s so much fun!

Lucy, I feel your pain! :laugh:. I have a lot of weeds this year, and I’m not ordering my mulch until I get all the beds ready first. It will be my “reward” for getting the gardening done.

Rose, have you tried looking for almonds roasted without salt? I buy them from the bulk bins – cheaper and no salt. I also portion them out so I don’t find myself grazing through a pound of them :laugh:.

Moxie, hope this week passes quickly for you :wink:. And pass the chocolate please.

Juanita, congrats on the milestone! Hope all goes well with the test results.

Dogladytwo, congrats on the 5k and running off that Easter candy!

Janice, I agree – maybe you can try to find something active to do to take your mind off of eating?

Shari, so glad we’re helping lol. And good for you for getting more exercise in!

Meg, lol at the housepaint story! And good for you on the NSV.

Jane in SLC, that’s very interesting! I work for a health insurance company, but mine is on the analytics side of the house. I’ve been toying with joining a non-profit group that does research into my area (gov’t based insurance).

Barbie, glad you have your puppies back home with you, especially to keep you company while Jake’s away.

Phyljen, welcome back! What a terrific picture – cute baby and grandmother!

Jackie, I’m back to you lol. I will try the green smoothies. They sound wonderful. I don’t take supplements – the science on them seems a little iffy to me, and I try to (generally) make sure I’m getting a broad variety of foods so I can get my vitamins naturally. So far it seems to have worked, but I struggle through days of lack of energy too. I suppose my protein powder also has vitamin supplements – haven’t looked too closely.

Glenda, I feel bad for you – snow? :frown:

Mary – enjoy your day in the yard! I’m dying to hear what kind of gardener – there are a couple of us who love to plant veggies.

OK, I have to get off to work, and the guys are here to replace the hot water heater (I strong-armed DH into that one, but it’s 15yo and time for a new one before the dreaded day of waking up to no hot water!). Oh, one last note: went to the dentist yesterday for the crown mold, but before I went I had noticed my lower jaw was hurting, so I mentioned it to him. He poked around – turns out a shred of something hard, like a seed shell or popcorn husk had gotten lodged down in my gum and created a huge infection. How do I not notice that? Anyway, he said no way would I have gotten it out myself, and it’s a good thing I was there and saw him. Had to delay the crown AGAIN (third time) while I take a round of antibiotics and get that back under control. Serendipity that I went to see him, I guess.

Have a glorious day everyone!

M.
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Dog lady – death to the Easter candy! My boss keeps bringing it to work! AACK!

Jane in SLC

I have a thing for the Cadbury mini eggs, you know the ones, solid milk chocolate with the hard candy shell? thanks goodness I don't have someone presenting them to me on a daily basis. it's like avoiding a mine field of sugary holidays!
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all,

My butt feels a little better today, but I wonder if it will hurt the same way when I weed again (hopefully this weekend). I sure hope not! I could certainly feel it this morning when I did my lunges and bridges.:grumble:

My daughter had told me about this stuff called "Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth". It's used mostly as a pesticide, but when I went on the website, many people talked about how they took it themselves for various health issues. It has to be the food grade one, as there is another kind that is used for pools that is poison if ingested. The testimonies stated that it helped with pain, but the one I was interested in was the claim that it was good for a cleanse, so I decided to try it. After about a month of taking it every day, I noticed that the hip pain that I experienced when walking on the TM disappeared. After several months, I must have gotten a cold and I lost my voice. I got scared thinking that the DE caused it, so I stopped taking it. The hip pain returned within a few weeks. When my voice returned, I started taking it again, and lo and behold, my hip pain is gone again! I did mention it to my doctor, but he thinks the hip pain went away because I lost weight. I don't think so. I've been taking it for about a year now. I am not in any way saying this would work for anyone else...just thought about it and wanted to share my experience.

:laugh: Katla & Brooke (and just about everyone else!) - I clearly remember crying when seeing the frizzy results of the dreaded "Tonette" perm, but I guess that our generation all suffered the same fate in the name of "beauty"!

:flowerforyou: Shari - Congrats on your progress on the TM. Every little bit helps.

:frown: Michele - How old is Bryan anyway? Kids can bring such heartache. You should go to the wedding if that's what you want to do and let Vince make his own decision. What might be right for one person may not be right for another.

:grumble: Meg - I clip my pedometer to my pants & it seems to accurately capture all of my steps. It does not, however, record lunges or marching steps.

:laugh: Jodios - I got the home perms as a very young child, but I also remember ironing my hair in HS. As a matter of fact, we ALL did that. They style of the day was very long, very straight hair.

:wink: Carol - I used to try and tackle all of the spring/fall cleaning at once, but I've learned over the years to space it out and the job still gets done! Good luck with your project.

:laugh: M - Was your DH watching the Phillies again last night? Our boys need some serious help! Hope they make some adjustments before I get to the park to see them in person!

:heart: A warm welcome and support to all of the newcomers. Blessings to all who are struggling, and congrats for all of the success experienced here!

Hugs,
    Lucy in Delaware:bigsmile:
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The end of the day when my calories are used up is sooooooooo hard to fight through. It's also when I take my meds that make me hungry! Not a good combination but not one I can change, either. I hope I am strong enough to overcome this!!!

Janice
    near Sudbury

I have the hardest time late in the day too. I try to leave 'a little on the table' for that time. There are some people that say not to eat too late but, if you are going to do it anyway, do it within budget and don't feel guilty. sometimes I get tired of having plan every bite but it has worked for me so far. not easy but I just keep trying. Good luck to you!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy tues.Finally getting spring like temps.spent almost 3 hours outside with Violet,rainy today.
    HUGS
    jane
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Finally have a few minutes to post. I have been reading all the posts and have been praying for those with struggles and celebrating with those who have had successes. I have the week off, but still have a lot of paperwork to do to prepare for next week. I am also trying to clean and organize the house. I have yet to get to the quilt that I promised myself I would work on. There is hope yet though!

Michele- Sorry you are dealing with so much stress with hope all works out well so that you can enjoy the wedding.

Meg- I never have had any luck with pedometers counting all of the steps I am sure I am taking. I do love my fitbit though. It seems to be much more accurate. It is very motivating! Love the purple paint story. We had a very purple house in the city I grew up in. People were very vocal about it. And it was located in a very rundown neighborhood. It actually was the nicest looking house on the block!

M- I am not a vegetarian but really do not eat much meat at all. I rarely enjoy it, but eat it to get some protein. What do you eat to get enough? I don't eat fish or seafood either.

Lucy- I love reading your posts. Very motivating!

janemartin- Glad you got time to spend outside with Violet. It was nice here yesterday, but cloudy and cooler today.

Carol- I bet you feel good about your project. I am enjoying my new office/ sewing room space. It turned out just as I wanted it to.

Barbie- I glad you have your dogs back. I miss mine so much when I am not with him. He is about 14 and has never been boarded anywhere. We usually have someone come and stay with him here, but don't know what we will do this summer when we go camping. We can't take him with us and the neighbor and my DD are not going to be available. We are looking into options now.

I need to get back to work. I am about halfway through cleaning out my closets and drawers. Next is the den and then the spare room closet and the family room. We are rearranging the family room to make the exercise equipment easier to get to.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Deb A in cloudy and cool CNY
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    Options
    My grandmother was mad about those perms, they were called Twink in the UK. My mother gave me the first one when I was about 7 and was recovering from Chicken Pox. I still have a scar on my temple where the liquid got into a sore! ! The last one was when I was 10 and it went so frizzy I had to go to school in a hairnet. Oh the humiliation! Shirley Temple has a lot to answer for.:laugh:
    I would like to tell you all about a couple of NSVs I have posted about on other forums so I will be brief.
    I have had a phobia for thirty years about music in restaurants and shops. Panic attacks. It had got so bad I dreaded invitations out and rarely chose to go anywhere. Suddenly that has gone, just like that, with my weight loss. Also today I realised that I have not had tormenting "earworms" for some time. They used to be a real problem for me and would sometimes go on all night. (They are tunes that will not get out of your head).
    I think it must be because I feel hugely more in control of my life and much more confident. I am proud of my achievement in losing 40 lbs. I had a difficult childhood and some bad things were out of my control. I know you can't control everything in life, if only, but some switch has made me less scared.