Vegan Cat help!!

Options

Replies

• dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I grew up around many a barn cat and never saw one stalking a pail of grain. Just sayin.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    So has nadia just been malnurished this whole time since she won't eat what you feed her? You also did not mention adding in taurine...cats need it. If you love someone or something you treat them right and love them for what they are. You don't change their nature. If that is not an option then rehoming nadia would he the best thing you can do for since you can't feed her healthfully for what she is. If you refuse its obvious you are not a true vegan or animal rights activist and are an abuser.
  • cmristine
    cmristine Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cats are not capable of making several essential amino acids. They can actually go blind, lose skeletal strength and grow weak from malnutrition if they are subject to a veg diet. I have been working with animals for twenty years and it is regarded as abuse to subject a cat to this kind of treatment. Please consider re-homing the cat if her dietary needs offend you.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Ignore all the haters here, they just don't understand where you are coming from. I think that diet is perfect!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You say you want ethical treatment of animals but it doesn't seem that poor Nadia gets a say in what would be ethical for her. Yes, you are being attacked on behalf of Nadia who doesn't get to speak for herself. Nadia is a carnivore. She stalks prey, she eats meat. No different than a lion in the wild. You're trying to force your feelings and comforts onto another species. She isn't your child, she's a cat.

I'm also for the ethical treatment of animals, all of them, including your cat who does not want to be vegan.

I am not sure I understand the logic here. So the owner is allowed to murder animals to feed a domestic pet and that's ethical?

There are all sorts of meat free sources for protein for animals, and soy is the best.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I grew up around many a barn cat and never saw one stalking a pail of grain. Just sayin.

All I know is my cat makes the best Seitan and Kale Stirfry in the house. Her claws make everything so small and delicate. Sometimes she forgets what she's doing and falls asleep in the cold wok, though. Her mock cheese leaves a little to be desired, however; she adamantly refuses to soak the cashews the night before because she says she hates water.

Lazy animal.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    what would happen if when your kids are up hanging with their friends they decide hm i like meat and have a cheese burger? i eat veggie myself but my 2 year old and my husband eat meat .. my son can decide when hes older if he wants to eat like mummy he likes meat not my choice im his mum but hes going to grow up and be his own person same reason i refused to have him circumcised or baptised .. just because your cat cant speak doesnt mean he loves someone making desisions for him. i have two dogs who get dog rice and meat proper meat as i dont like the idea of dog food i hate touching it infact ive amost been sick cutting it up but my dogs a dog before i got them i knew they ate meat just like wolfs do its like getting a rabbit and forcing it to eat steak

Well, no offence intended but I wonder if you take the same approach to your children when it comes to drugs and alcohol.

Frankly, my children, my spouse, and my pets know that they can follow my rules or live somewhere else.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    This is awful, I can't believe that you are making your cat go vegan - it's a disgrace. CATS NEED MEAT. It's fine for you and your family but don't force this diet on your cat..

If you don't think you can lok after the cat properly and are in the UK I'll happily take her for the sake of her health.

Some people just shouldn't have pets :explode:

Let's all calm down and take some nice calming breaths.

I guess the OP is trying to find a way of feeding the cat but not placing a demand on the meat market as they have decided to go vegan.

That is fine as the moment the cat is released into the back garden it will find enough meat in mice and birds to satisfy it's obligatory needs.

Everyone's happy, the OP hasn't bought any meat, the cat get's it's prey the natural way instead of from a tin; peace prevails.

OM Shanti
  • Cr01502
    Options
    Cats are not capable of making several essential amino acids. They can actually go blind, lose skeletal strength and grow weak from malnutrition if they are subject to a veg diet. I have been working with animals for twenty years and it is regarded as abuse to subject a cat to this kind of treatment. Please consider re-homing the cat if her dietary needs offend you.

Aren't we also not capable of producing essential amino acids. Yet vegans exist.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    drugs and alcohol are a bit different lol ! my husband eats meat but he doesnt drink neither do i i think classing meat in the same category as drugs and alcohol is hilarious

i cant wait till your kids rebel or do you intend to lock them up like the cat?
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Here is what I'm feeding her now:

Deflated Soya 480 grams
    Wheat flour 160 gram
    Bajra flour 160 grams
    Maize flour 160 grams
    Edible oil 20 grams
    Skim milk (I substitute with alomonds!) powder 10 grams
    Dried yeast powder 5 grams
    Salt to taste

I then make it into a dough and place it in the oven and make it into biscuits.

I wouldn't eat that - I'm not surprised the cat doesn't want to.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Hello

Me and my family have recently decided to go vegan. It's been about one year now and so far we're all really enjoying it (the kids sometimes complain about the food lol). But the newest addition to our family, a six month old Munchkin named Nadia, absolutely refuses to adopt our vegan lifestyle. I've picked up a few recipes off the internet but she absolutely REFUSES to eat. My family and I are big into animal welfare and we just don't believe in harming other animals. Any ideas?

Here is what I'm feeding her now:

Deflated Soya 480 grams
    Wheat flour 160 gram
    Bajra flour 160 grams
    Maize flour 160 grams
    Edible oil 20 grams
    Skim milk (I substitute with alomonds!) powder 10 grams
    Dried yeast powder 5 grams
    Salt to taste

I then make it into a dough and place it in the oven and make it into biscuits.

I know plenty of people with animals on a vegan diet...

What do you do though if he catches a bird or something?!?! BAD VEGAN KITTY! NO!
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I would suggest talking to your veterinarian about this. Make sure they are a certified kitty dietitian so they can give you the best options and suggestions for vegan recipes for your furry friend. Personally, I don't believe the same things you do about why you don't wish to eat meat or other food produced from animals, but I wish you luck in your endeavors in feeding your feline. :wink:
  • Cr01502
    Options

It's not bad!!

I sometimes throw in a little vegetable stock and it tastes like popcorn. I've tried it. :)
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    cats dont eat popcorn =P jst saying
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options

It's not bad!!

I sometimes throw in a little vegetable stock and it tastes like popcorn. I've tried it. :)

Far too much salt for a cat in that case.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    What do you do though if he catches a bird or something?!?! BAD VEGAN KITTY! NO!

I know this was meant to be funny but please don't joke about stuff like this.

Animals killing other animals isn't funny.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    There are tons of recipes on the internet on how to make pet food. You really should try to read some of those and find out what proportions of nutrients your pet needs.

For goodness sakes people enough, do we not have better things to do that yak about damn catfood?
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options

I know this was meant to be funny but please don't joke about stuff like this.

Animals killing other animals isn't funny.

Word. Stop the violence!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    what would happen if when your kids are up hanging with their friends they decide hm i like meat and have a cheese burger? i eat veggie myself but my 2 year old and my husband eat meat .. my son can decide when hes older if he wants to eat like mummy he likes meat not my choice im his mum but hes going to grow up and be his own person same reason i refused to have him circumcised or baptised .. just because your cat cant speak doesnt mean he loves someone making desisions for him. i have two dogs who get dog rice and meat proper meat as i dont like the idea of dog food i hate touching it infact ive amost been sick cutting it up but my dogs a dog before i got them i knew they ate meat just like wolfs do its like getting a rabbit and forcing it to eat steak

Well, no offence intended but I wonder if you take the same approach to your children when it comes to drugs and alcohol.

Frankly, my children, my spouse, and my pets know that they can follow my rules or live somewhere else.

Agree with you! You have to set standards for your family.