Vegan Cat help!!

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My cat's not vegan, so I buy him mice at the pet store and put them in a confined part of the house so he can still hunt in the winter. I might get him a hamster ball, so the he can play with the food first. Naturally, I will leave the house while this is going on.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    people need to chill

Thank you. I completely agree. Everyone acts like I'm some menace when the reality is domesticates animals can and SHOULD live in a peaceful AND healthy manner.

Everyone keep attacking me because of their own misconceptions on eating meat.

I'm vegetarian and I think what you're doing is wrong. What boggles my mind is that you came here asking people questions and you aren't willing to at least look into the info they have given you. Is this an april fools joke?
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Also I'm pretty sure cats in the wild DID eat a lot of plant matter naturally. Furthermore, if I was so worried about what they naturally ate shouldn't I be feeding them whole mice and birds? Human beings have adapted just fine to being vegans and I'm sure Nadia will too.

Cats eat some plant matter. But they are obligate carnivores. That means that, if they ate only plant matter in the wild, they would get sick and DIE. We can't compare their bodies to ours and say that human beings have adapted just fine to being vegans. Our bodies are very different from a cat's body. If you insists on making Nadia vegan, you HAVE to get commercial preparations and supplements or she WILL get very sick.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I hope to God this is an April Fool joke. Cats are obligate carnivores. Dogs can make do on other things if you're careful, but cats need meat. Its immoral and sick to do this to a cat. If you don't want to feed her what she needs...please give her to someone who will.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    The so called "cat food" has less meat in it than soy these days for all these people saying that cats are carnivores. This a bunch of phooey. The canned cat food that comes out of China is meat only in the most loose definition of the word! Cats have been domesticated and can eat food now.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Please be a joke, please be a joke, please be a joke.
    Sadly there are plenty of people out there who actually think its okay to force their lifestyles on to there pets, even if its kills their pet.

This. Sadly...probably not a joke, ive met people like this. They scare me.
  • Arianwyn_T
    Options
    If you don't believe in harming animals, then feed your cat what she evolved to eat, which is meat. If you can't bring yourself to do that, then find her a new home where she'll get proper care, and get an animal that fits with your lifestyle without torturing it, like a rabbit etc. (I've been completely vegetarian since I was 9).
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Sadly there are plenty of people out there who actually think its okay to force their lifestyles on to there pets, even if its kills their pet.

This is why it's so important that the OP asked the question. Always a good idea to get advice before changing the diets and lifestyles of those around you :smile:

I just hope the OP is wise enough to listen to the wonderful advice they are getting.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

This is why it's so important that the OP asked the question. Always a good idea to get advice before changing the diets and lifestyles of those around you :smile:

I just hope the OP is wise enough to listen to the wonderful advice they are getting.

Doesn't look like she's listening to me...She's acting like she'd rather the cat die than feed it correctly
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    The so called "cat food" has less meat in it than soy these days for all these people saying that cats are carnivores. This a bunch of phooey. The canned cat food that comes out of China is meat only in the most loose definition of the word! Cats have been domesticated and can eat food now.

And that is almost just as cruel. Those cats suffer just as much. The same way you can live on cheetos and icecream, you won't THRIVE. It's irresponsible and cruel to knowingly feed a cat an inappropriate diet that will harm it's health. Cats SHOULD be eating a prey model raw diet complete with bones. Anything else, no matter how expensive, is SUB standard.
  • Arianwyn_T
    Options
    WOW!

I really feel like I am being attacked here!

First of all I'm not the one killing innocent creatures.

Second, the diet that you said my cat would force me to eat. Is that paleo?

Also, I'm a responsible pet owner. I'm not going to let Nadia run around the neighborhood to kill innocent creatures or even worse, get killed herself!

Not killing the innocent? Clearly you've never heard the song "carrot juice is murder" by The Arrogant Worms. Go educate yourself.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you go to someplace like whole foods you could find a better option for the kitty?

I really don't think giving my cat to whole foods is going to benefit ANYBODY!

Certainly not the cat.

I know you were probably just joking but I think eating cats is absolutely disgusting.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BE A JOKE. You might as well have adopted a dead cat if you're not joking..

Excerpt from Pet People's Cat Nutrition, found here: http://www.petpeoplestores.com/brochures/CatNutrition4x9.pdf

"Cats aren’t just built to eat meat, they need to
    eat meat. Cats are considered obligate
    carnivores, and must eat meat in order to survive.
    Obligate carnivores may eat other foods such as
    vegetables, grains, or
    fruits, but they must eat
    meat as their main source
    of nutrients. They cannot
    survive on a strict vegan
    diet. Cats require certain
    nutrients from meat that
    cannot be obtained in sufficient amounts from
    plant foods - a deficiency in these necessary
    nutrients can result in a variety of serious health
    problems. These essential nutrients are things
    the cat cannot produce themselves, and therefore
    must be consumed in the diet."
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    If you don't feed your cat meat, it will just go and find it elsewhere by catching mice and birds, etc.

Not if it's a Munchkin cat, like the breed, they're the wiener dogs of the cat world lol and not known for their hunting prowess.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    if you really insist on making your cat vegan it is possible:

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vegan_cats
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I seriously hope you are trolling. Cats are obligate carnivores. If they are not fed meat, they will die of malnutrition. Feed your cat cat food or cook her some meat. Don't kill her because you are forcing your omnivourous ethics on her.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If you don't feed your cat meat, it will just go and find it elsewhere by catching mice and birds, etc.

Not if it's a Munchkin cat, like the breed, they're the wiener dogs of the cat world lol and not known for their hunting prowess.

Dachshund literally translates into "Badger Dog." They were bred to hunt badgers...
  • Poprocket_2012
    Options
    Poor cat :(
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    The most amazing thing here is that all the sensible humans are warning the OP (troll) not to deny the cat what it must have to live and thrive. And, sure enough, there is a plan provided by PETA for the very best way to deny the cat what it must have.

Says a bit about the "ethics" of PETA.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is wrong on so many levels, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!

YOUR CAT IS NOT A HUMAN OR A DOG!!! (WHO CAN PROCESS BOTH PLANT AND MEAT BASED PROTEIN!)

Cats are OBLIGATE carnivores. They lack the enzymes to process plant protein PERIOD. They are OBLIGATE carnivores.

You disgust me. This is straight up animal abuse. How dare you subject another animal to a non-species specific diet.