Vegan Cat help!!

Replies

• nfgchick79
    nfgchick79 Posts: 89 Member
    It's APRIL FOOLS DAY PEOPLE! For the love of god this is a joke. There are about 15 different "cat" threads posted up today on the boards. I'm certain that it is a joke. I'm sure OP will deny it and say the are serious, blah blah blah but I am like 99.9% sure this is a joke. Look at the tone of it too. I mean come on.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Wow... I came in here for some information on how to feed my own kitty and I am really grateful for your knowledgeable posts!

Even if the OP doesn't listen, I am definitely getting use out of this!

Can you explain why rice wouldn't be good for a cat? I thought they were more intuitive eaters, and if they were willing to eat something it was ok for them?

Rice tends to expand in their intestines and cause them to burst. It's an awful thing to hear about.

Yikes! That sounds terrible. I will try to keep that away from Souffle, then. Is there any grain that is safe for kitten consumption? I think it would be good to supplement her fiber.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    You say you want ethical treatment of animals but it doesn't seem that poor Nadia gets a say in what would be ethical for her. Yes, you are being attacked on behalf of Nadia who doesn't get to speak for herself. Nadia is a carnivore. She stalks prey, she eats meat. No different than a lion in the wild. You're trying to force your feelings and comforts onto another species. She isn't your child, she's a cat.

I'm also for the ethical treatment of animals, all of them, including your cat who does not want to be vegan.

When she speaks up and states she wants to go paleo, I'm pretty sure the OP will switch...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I'm still waiting for an answer to my question about whether or not dry cat food is going to kill my kitty like that one poster said.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    I'm still waiting for an answer to my question about whether or not dry cat food is going to kill my kitty like that one poster said.

Seems legit. My Jabba <--- has only ever had dry cat food (and chips etc, but no meat)...he looks starved huh?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

Seems legit. My Jabba <--- has only ever had dry cat food (and chips etc, but no meat)...he looks starved huh?

Well, the person who said it kills kittens and cats seemed like she knew what she was talking about. She used a lot of big words and used all caps several times too, so I think she was smart and serious. She also seemed kind of angry, but I guess I would be too if cat food killed my kitten.

I still think it's a mean thing for her to say.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Wow... I came in here for some information on how to feed my own kitty and I am really grateful for your knowledgeable posts!

Even if the OP doesn't listen, I am definitely getting use out of this!

Can you explain why rice wouldn't be good for a cat? I thought they were more intuitive eaters, and if they were willing to eat something it was ok for them?

Rice tends to expand in their intestines and cause them to burst. It's an awful thing to hear about.
    As a veterinary technician with over a decade of experience, I have to say this is untrue. I have participated in countless abdominal surgeries, including perferations (tears in the intestine), never caused by rice. In fact we recommend chicken and rice as a bland diet for upset tummies. In my considerable experience, I have never once heard this about rice, particularly from doctors. Please do not spread misinformation, it could be harmful.

The problem with a vegan diet for cats is that it is deadly and will cause suffering. Cats *are* obligate carnivores and require certain protein only found in meat (taurine) for their bodies to function. Expect the cat to initially go blind. Then become neurologic. Then die.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member

Someone needs to inform animal control because this is straight up animal abuse.

As someone who fed their cat "dry food" which lacked ANY substancial amount of both protein and water i can tell you it's wrong. I had to watch my baby die of ketoacidosis in my arms because i was IGNORANT that they require a species specific diet and they are OBLIGATE carnivores.

I feed my cat only dry food. Have for many years. Are you saying my cat is going to die now???

What a horrible thing to say to someone.

:angry:
    Untreated diabetes causes ketoacidosis. Not dry food.

Backing out of thread now. Not going to spend the entire day in here disputing misinformation.
  • squirrls are nateruly vegan.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Maybe that's because we're sick of being surrounded by a bunch of MURDERERS!

3.png
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    1.) He was three years old when he passed away. His entire life (up until 8 months before he died) consisted of dry food.

2.) He had recurring kidney stones, bladder infections, etc. because the food he was eating WAS NOT 70% water which is what they NEED. Studies have shown that a cat that eats dry food and drinks water will still consume less water throughout the day than a cat that eats wet food.

3.) he was repeatedly tested for diabetes when he had bladder infections and everything was normal. This was on a 2-3 month basis. Finally he tested diabetic in one visit.

4.) I administered lantus insulin twice a day and paid for over 10 curves to regulate his blood sugar.

5.) after months of having him on insulin he began wasting. No matter how much food/how little food how much insulin/how little insulin he was wasting away.

He passed of ketoacidosis after a 6 night hospital stay after i noticed he refused to eat one night. He was normally ravenous so i immedietly took him to the vet.

I have been told by NUMEROUS vets that his diabetes in was caused because of a diet high in carbs, low in water, and not enough animal protein. This was my ignorance.

Please do not even begin to suggest that I was not a good parent to my cat because i did absolutely EVERYTHING i could to help him thrive. I spent over $10,000.00 trying to save his life.

I had confirmed he did not have recurring infections, auto immune, and many many other factors that could have caused his diabetes. Once his diet changed things improved SIGNIFICANTLY, sadly, it was too late for him.

Back to my point of, i have researched this extensively. There is nothing worse in this world than knowing my poor actions could have harmed an animal in any way. I know what I am talking about and a cat needs a species specific diet. they are not a human with a choice capable of using numerous amino acids. They are obligate carnivores. This is not debateable.

Trying to force a diet that a HUMAN chooses to follow on an animal whose body CANNOT survive off of is nothing but abuse. Period.

quote]

Someone needs to inform animal control because this is straight up animal abuse.

As someone who fed their cat "dry food" which lacked ANY substancial amount of both protein and water i can tell you it's wrong. I had to watch my baby die of ketoacidosis in my arms because i was IGNORANT that they require a species specific diet and they are OBLIGATE carnivores.

I feed my cat only dry food. Have for many years. Are you saying my cat is going to die now???

Backing out of thread now. Not going to spend the entire day in here disputing misinformation.
    [/quote]
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Hold the phone. I just noticed the date. This wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that it's April first, would it?

Ummmmm no.

GOTCHA!
  • Hold the phone. I just noticed the date. This wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that it's April first, would it?

Ummmmm no.

GOTCHA!

Don't be silly - if it was a joke you'd post a pic like this

april_fools_laughing_cat.gif
  • rainbowbow

You very well might.

http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FeedingYourCat18pages8-10.pdf

If there aren't outward signs yet, than there very well might be in the future.
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Please tell me this is an April fools joke. I work at a pet store and had a million hours worth of training through a vet, cats eat meat. They do make vegan dog food, but not cat.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member

I got your back.

Really I try to substitute dry cat food with rice and banana balls. My cat really seems to enjoy them. Funny thing is she will only eat them if buy mice and baby rabbits (only during Easter, don't want to have to many treats) Then I toothpick the veggie rice ball to the mouse. She never turns one down.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Please tell me this is an April fools joke. I work at a pet store and had a million hours worth of training through a vet, cats eat meat. They do make vegan dog food, but not cat.
    Why is ok for dogs to be vegan, but not cats? Thats seems a little discriminatory if you ask me.
  • rainbowbow
    Why is ok for dogs to be vegan, but not cats? Thats seems a little discriminatory if you ask me.

Because they are different species. Dogs and Humans both have the ability to process and combine amino acids to create complete proteins. Cats do not. :)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Let the cats chew on you and maybe you'll become CATWOMAN!!!!
  • Jude_V
    Jude_V Posts: 72 Member
    I had a cat that only ate dry cat food - and one particular kind. I did occasionally give her a raw egg but from weaning she absolutely refused to eat anything else - although it's possible she hunted and ate her prey. She did die of kidney failure but not until she developed cancer and had gone blind....

She was 18 years old so I didn't think there would be a connection to her diet - and I did (on numerous occasions) ask her vet if her diet was healthy and I was told that, providing she always had water, he did not see any harm in it!!!